One shot near E. Kentwood High

There are 20 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Oct 23, 2008, titled One shot near E. Kentwood High. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

The Kent County Sheriff's Department has confirmed that officers are responding to a shooting near the intersection of 60th and Crestmoor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Dianen

Lansing, MI

#41 Oct 23, 2008
mybabies wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey girl-got text from lil C-said Pinewood is on shelter in place-no in or out---its the High School - B- said full lock down, no movement to classes, etc.
Are they being released at normal time to parents or no??
4th Hour EKHS

Grand Rapids, MI

#42 Oct 23, 2008
I am an EKHS student in my 4th our class right now. We ARE NOT in lockdown. IT is shelter-in-place. We get out at normal dismissal time. Our teacher allowing us to use his computer. Our school is fine and so is the environment around. So now everyone can stop judging.

East Kentwood High School is not in a GANG OR GHETTO ENVIRONMENT.
Concerned

Lansing, MI

#43 Oct 23, 2008
My son goes to Pinewood which is next to East Kentwood. I did call and the school is on lockdown. It is so sad that things like this are something we need to worry about now a days. A shooting at school or a school function has been one of my worst fears when it comes to my kids. I really feel bad that someone was hurt and hope they catch the individual that did it so they can not hurt anyone else. I wish there was more that we all could do to change the way the world is and protect our kids. Thankfully it was not a student but sad that the person was so young. It's too close to home (and school) and its scary. I really pray for a more positive and peaceful life for the young and upcoming generation... they could really change the world in a positive way... they really could....
no namer

Mount Pleasant, MI

#44 Oct 23, 2008
they are in lock down at the high school
gambler2

Southfield, MI

#45 Oct 23, 2008
I grew up in Kentwood and graduated from EKHS in 1974. The whole area has gone seriously downhill
and is not the Kentwood I once knew. Too much low income riff raff living there now, and too many rental communities that are turning into slums.
The Christie Ave. duplex corridor used to be a decent place. Last time I was through there I was afraid for my life. No wonder you hear about these types of things out there now.

“I LOVE MY KIDS AND MY MOMMY”

Since: Mar 08

Kentwood

#46 Oct 23, 2008
good to hear an update-
SisterNAlumni

Battle Creek, MI

#47 Oct 23, 2008
I have to brother's that attend Pinewood Middle and the children can not leave any surrounding schools because the shooting was out in the open off of 60th street...if you know that area you know 1/4 of those children walk home from school, including my brothers!

They are being held in classrooms, and have to be picked up from school. Children should not have to worry about these types of things while at school! It's ridiculous.

The boy was supposibly shot for his jacket by two boys in a car...besides the fact that he should have been in school you never know his circumstances and it is a shame that so many adults so quickly turn to stereotypical profiles for these CHILDREN! Come on people think of your own...this boy should not have been shot over something so petty.

We need to pray for the Greater Grand Rapids community, and hope that these CHILDREN shooting CHILDREN will wake up! Downing them will only add on to the tragedy!

Kentwood

#48 Oct 23, 2008
Dianen wrote:
<quoted text>
Are they being released at normal time to parents or no??
no idea...trying to find out.

L-
Dianen

Lansing, MI

#49 Oct 23, 2008
Right it is important for us to keep up with recent things and happenings loike this taking place near the school....We are not just talking? Look at tv it is all over the place! according to televisoin this teens injuries are not believed to be life threatening...which is what is imortant here...how many more shooting is it going to take for these kids to understnd this is permanent and they are not invincable? It is a terrible shame for kids that are not this way to have to experience these types of things near them....
Falconm0m

Hudsonville, MI

#50 Oct 23, 2008
THIS IS NOT A LOCKDOWN!
Lockdown is ALL doors locked, inside and out. Lights out, children secure and under desks, etc. Please, stop spreading false info. All it does is scare people.

Kentwood

#51 Oct 23, 2008
THEY JUSY WERE RELEASED!

Kentwood

#52 Oct 23, 2008
I was referring to the High School they were just released as normal...Anyone know about Pinewood?
FOB

Grand Rapids, MI

#53 Oct 23, 2008
4th Hour EKHS wrote:
I am an EKHS student in my 4th our class right now. We ARE NOT in lockdown. IT is shelter-in-place. We get out at normal dismissal time. Our teacher allowing us to use his computer. Our school is fine and so is the environment around. So now everyone can stop judging.
East Kentwood High School is not in a GANG OR GHETTO ENVIRONMENT.
GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND GET BACK TO LEARNING YOU SLACKER!
Dianen

Lansing, MI

#54 Oct 23, 2008
Falconm0m wrote:
THIS IS NOT A LOCKDOWN!
Lockdown is ALL doors locked, inside and out. Lights out, children secure and under desks, etc. Please, stop spreading false info. All it does is scare people.
Right I agree, as I spoke to school staff it is called security in place a different measure than lockdown!
dude

Novi, MI

#55 Oct 23, 2008
So are you saying it is or is not a lockdown. Just want to be clear.
Falconm0m wrote:
THIS IS NOT A LOCKDOWN!
not falseinfo

Grand Rapids, MI

#56 Oct 23, 2008
i was told they were on lockdown then moved into shelter in place, by kis attending that school. they were unsure what was going on

Kentwood

#57 Oct 23, 2008
not falseinfo wrote:
i was told they were on lockdown then moved into shelter in place, by kis attending that school. they were unsure what was going on
me, too-
frustrated

Kalamazoo, MI

#58 Oct 23, 2008
I live near 44th and Kalamazoo, and know that crime has been increasing over the summer and into fall. Muggings, robberies, and theft are regular occurrences (explains why it's not reported much anymore). Maybe this will help get the Kentwood police and city commission to wake-up and start to work to turn around this trend. The criminals are slowly working their way south, and Kentwood is right in the path. Probably time for me to start considering a move, but can't do much about it with the housing market today.
Falconm0m

Hudsonville, MI

#59 Oct 23, 2008
NOT A LOCKDOWN.
It's just what you would do at your own home. Keep your kids busy inside and lock the doors so no one can get in. Let's not make this bigger than it needs to be. GO FALCONS!
LMAO

Waukegan, IL

#60 Oct 23, 2008
Curious wrote:
Heard a rumor that some GRPS schools went on "lock down as a precaution" can anyone confirm?
FROM 8's story...

Mike Zoerhoff, the district's assistant superintendent for Human Resources, said that the high school, Pinewood Middle School, the East Kentwood Freshman campus, and Discovery elementary are in "shelter in place" mode right now, which means that the doors to the outside of the school are locked, but unlike a lockdown, school is going on as usual.

Larry Johnson, the director of security for Grand Rapids public schools, said all GRPS high schools, middle schools and select elementary schools (near E. Kentwood High School) are in that same mode. Students will be dismissed at the end of the day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bruce jenner!? who cares! 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 5
News Victim in ponzi scheme comes forward (May '09) 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 40
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 1 hr Buffalo Bull 1,932
are you texas enough? 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2
News 1 dead, 4 injured after driver falls asleep, st... Mon robert 1
Tremors of the Earthquake Kind Mon Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2
Local News Women (Apr '09) Sun intothegrv 2,364
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]