One shot near E. Kentwood High

One shot near E. Kentwood High

There are 313 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Oct 23, 2008, titled One shot near E. Kentwood High. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

The Kent County Sheriff's Department has confirmed that officers are responding to a shooting near the intersection of 60th and Crestmoor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

40andfree

Canton, OH

#234 Oct 23, 2008
close all the schools and make the parents educate these thugs.
Sleepy

Parker, CO

#235 Oct 23, 2008
Snore......
Sara

Littleton, CO

#236 Oct 23, 2008
That is just terrible, these young trouble making kids need to get a life and find something better to do with their time. If he liked his jacket, ask where he got it... get a job and go BUY one!!
speaking up

Allendale, MI

#237 Oct 23, 2008
FOB wrote:
isn't this around the same location that the Creston High student was shot/killed a couple weeks ago?
Umm.... no it is not even close to the shooting by creston... that was in grand rapids this is in kentwood...
Sara

Littleton, CO

#238 Oct 23, 2008
I have family that currently go to EKHS and one that just graduated last year and they are very well educated children who succeed in everything that they do. Children who have good parents behind them teaching them and directing them to do the right things will succeed because it is something that is taught and that is exactly why my 2 family members that are EKHS students succeed!! I dont think that this should reflect badly on the schools but instead on the parents of these children who neither know or care about what their children are doing and how they are behaving.
Junior at EKHS

Broomfield, CO

#239 Oct 23, 2008
I think all of the ignorance should stop now. If you're happy with your child's school then stop worrying about East Kentwood.

Everyone of you who are being judgemental should take a walk in East Kentwood.
I think you might be suprised.
It's not violent or ghetto with gangs. There is RARELY fights and the students are well educated.

If you didn't know, East Kentwood is one of the few schools in Michigan with as many course selections and their classes are way harder.
Requirements to graduate are one of the highest in the state and a diploma from East Kentwood will get you accepted into more colleges due to the requirements, harder courses and diversity.

We also have MANY college level courses in the highschool we can take to get a head start and save money in college.

People are so ignorant.
mechanic 1

Aurora, CO

#240 Oct 23, 2008
i live in kentwood poss. 2 miles from the school.its way out of hand they just put a bus stop infrnt of my house ? they CUSS THROW THERE TRASH IN MY YARD AND DISRESPEST MY RETIRMENT COMM.WE NEED BETTER POLICING. its only getting worse se side go home? 52 and eastern and a concerned person not only for my self but for the edlery arond me. concerned in kentwood lets stand up and fight for are neibor hood lets take it back and run the trach out. god bless allllllll
This Must Stop

Grand Rapids, MI

#241 Oct 23, 2008
MY comment is what does a shooting in EK have to do with Grand Rapids Public Schools? They have to make GR seem bad when every city in this area has the same issues as GR.
Now as far as these kids go, their parents need to quit raising them boys in the hood style and show them that they must do right in life regardless if you are poor or rich! Rich kids do dumb stuff too so I don't want to hear that!
These kids are watching to much thug crap on TV and it translates to being dead or going to jail. So for all you thugs reading this, change your ways or you will be next!
2011 at Ek

Allendale, MI

#242 Oct 23, 2008
Junior at EKHS wrote:
For all of you that have everything mixed up...
this is what happened. We were told by Mr. Beel to go into a "shelter in place" over the intercom. This meant that you lock the doors and students cannot go in or out but you continue to teach as usual. This is different from a lockdown because in a lockdown you must turn off the lights, have silence and someone unknown or a potential threat is on school property or inside a school. As far as i know Pinewood, the Freshman Campus, Discovery Elementary and EKHS all had a shelter in place.
As far as all of the negative comments about EKHS it's really insulting. I'm sure "East Kentwood isn't the school it was 20 years ago." Today East Kentwood is VERY diverse and people are very accepting. I take pride in my school because of that. EKHS does have some problem kids just like every other school NO SUPRISE. There are 3,200 kids attending at the FC and HS so that IS possible you know. I don' think EK should be looked down on as a trashy or ghetto school because of the diversity in color or life styles. I'm proud to go to a school like this because it prepares me for the REAL world. I think going to a hicktown school with 100 kids who are all GREAT kids would be horrible. i feel pretty safe and secure while im at school and i love the students who attend it.EK is an amazing school with some really great people.
This shooting could have happened anywhere. I'm not in denial because i know that the area around kentwood has gone downhill but that surely should not degrade EKHS. There are "ghetto" or "hood" kids just as there is almost anywhere else.
I feel judged. I don't feel this incident should ruin EKs reputation.
I LOVE EAST KENTWOOD.
Amen to that i know exactly what you mean i couldnt have said it better then myself... people always talk down to us just because yeah we had some stuff go down at Ek... but thats not our fault... and like Junior at EK. said this shooting could of happened somewhre else... i am sick of people looking down at our school saying we are a ghetto school well we are not a ghetto school... we are just like every other high school everywhere bt we are way better they are the same stuff that goes on in our school that also goes on in grandville for example... so stop fucking looking down on EK!
Sara

Littleton, CO

#243 Oct 23, 2008
What a f n joke wrote:
Wow two black teens, what a suprise.
I am sorry but this comment is a racial and just rude comment... grow up!! Because by making this comment you are no better than the person who shot the gun... only your gun is your mouth and your bullets are you mean words!! They both hurt!

“I LOVE MY KIDS AND MY MOMMY”

Since: Mar 08

Kentwood

#244 Oct 23, 2008
Referring to this quote-------"For all of you that have everything mixed up...
this is what happened. We were told by Mr. Beel to go into a "shelter in place" over the intercom. This meant that you lock the doors and students cannot go in or out but you continue to teach as usual. This is different from a lockdown because in a lockdown you must turn off the lights, have silence and someone unknown or a potential threat is on school property or inside a school."

I spoke with students that had lights out and doors locked and were to be quiet. Sooo...if we could just move on from that subject. EK took precautions to protect the kids.

For you with some sense, Dana is doing well this evening. Your prayers and good thoughts are appreciated. He is at Blodgett Hospital for those that know him.

For those that don't- he is not in a gang and actually was shot in his front yard!!He has been raised by his mother AND father in the home.

Yes, I admit parts of Kentwood are so bad that I am ashamed, and yes those are the transient rental areas such as was mentioned...Christie area/Woodfield Apartments. But Baileys grove and Crystal springs are areas above average in property values and low crime. So...still better than GRPS any day!
EK Is Good

Grand Rapids, MI

#245 Oct 23, 2008
Yes EK is a good school system and we need to quit blaming the schools and look at the parents who are raising these boys in the hood wannabees.
When stuff goes wrong it is the schools fault. No it is the parents fault who is raising this fool in life.
so quit blaming EK schools as they are better than some of these other suburban schools that think they above the pack!
Amazing

Colorado Springs, CO

#246 Oct 23, 2008
mel wrote:
<quoted text>
That was Kalamazoo and 32nd or 36th
That's not even close either. The Creston kid was shot on Kalamazoo near Burton. Get your facts straight.
disturbed

Denver, CO

#247 Oct 23, 2008
What happened today was sad. What is even more sad, is the conclusions and assumptions that it forced people to draw. If you have ever been to EK, you would be overwhelmed by a diverse place (both racially and by SES) that runs like a machine. Kids and teachers all get along dispite their differences. As one of the largest and most diverse schools there is hardly problems. I have never once felt unsafe. In fact, I am honored to be apart of a school that has helped teach me what it would be like if the world could set aside their differences and get along. Instead of judging people that are different than me, EK has taught me to get to know that person. It has taught me not to make assumptions. I only wish that one day, that all people would have the benefit of learning this lessons.

Kentwood

#248 Oct 23, 2008
40andfree wrote:
close all the schools and make the parents educate these thugs.
good point, but usually uneducated and ignorant people come from the same--at school they stand a chance!
Allendale Sucks

Grand Rapids, MI

#249 Oct 23, 2008
While you are sitting up their talking about EK the person from Allendale, what about the rape stuff going on at your school right now that the administration is trying to cover up?

I bet you didn't know about that while your sitting here talking about EK did you? So go sit down somewhere and be quiet!

Kentwood

#250 Oct 23, 2008
fyi-

ekhs
Within the student body, 50.0% of students are Caucasian, 38.4% African American, 7.6 Asian American, 4.4% Hispanic, 0.4% Native American and 0.3% Multi-racial.

city of kentwoo
The racial makeup of the city was 80.87% White, 9.09% African American, 0.46% Native American, 5.63% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.42% from other races, and 2.48% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.88% of the population.
The Real Truth

United States

#251 Oct 23, 2008
Come On! This kid that was shot was either expelled or quit school. They found a gun in his backyard!
I am sure the drive byers did not get out of the car and put it there!DA! I believe this kid is involved in dope or something and made up the story of the get away car and people in it for fear of future trouble. It probably happened right in his backyard, dope deal or money owed situation!
But as always the mother says that her kid would never do anything wrong!!!???
George

United States

#252 Oct 23, 2008
So...still better than GRPS any day!
Amen brother.

The devil's gonna have new ice skates before the Kentwood Public Schools ever drop to the same dreary level as GRPS.
Junior at EKHS

Broomfield, CO

#253 Oct 23, 2008
once again
i would just like to restate this.

I think all of the ignorance should stop now. If you're happy with your child's school then stop worrying about East Kentwood.

Everyone of you who are being judgemental should take a walk in East Kentwood.
I think you might be suprised.
It's not violent or ghetto with gangs. There is RARELY fights and the students are well educated.

If you didn't know, East Kentwood is one of the few schools in Michigan with as many course selections and their classes are way harder.
Requirements to graduate are one of the highest in the state and a diploma from East Kentwood will get you accepted into more colleges due to the requirements, harder courses and diversity.

We also have MANY college level courses in the highschool we can take to get a head start and save money in college.

People are so ignorant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
are the protesters going to jump 20 hr Oneal 52
Local News Women (Apr '09) Fri localnewsfan 2,840
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Fri Dena 1,161
News Caught on tape: man beats dogs (Mar '08) Fri Go Blue Forever 156
Poll Any parents of children in jail forum (Jul '09) Feb 20 Carter 58
Art Van Scam (Oct '08) Feb 18 MUman 50
Texas Girl With a Great Plan (Sep '12) Feb 15 Gaxtell 74

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance