Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

We have fishermen, hunters, morel mushroomers, campers, etc. on this forum, so why not have an outdoors thread?

“Some Call Me...Dingo”

Since: Apr 09

Grand Rapids

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Excellent thread!
As much of an outdoorsman as I am I have never been camping in the UP. I'd very much to get some feedback from anyone with personal knowledge of places I shouldn't miss up there.

Thanks!

“Really? I mean, REAAALLLYY???”

Since: Nov 08

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Great thread, Arctic!

I've never been hunting, but I love fishing. I'm not really serious about it, though. I'm a nightcrawler and bobber kinda guy.

“Don't touch my junk man!”

Since: Nov 07

Middle of the Mitten, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Where have you been up there Dingo, anywhere?

I'm trying to figure out ways the hubby and I can do more camping this year. We've stumbled on hiking and realized that we and our dogs really enjoy it. The hardest part is being gone overnight when we have five cats and three other dogs at home!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

I've been doing some morel shroomin' this spring and some fishing/trapping. I just made a photobucket acct. Pics here:
http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/Arct...
Mom in Jenison

Harper Woods, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Ms Angie wrote:
The hardest part is being gone overnight when we have five cats and three other dogs at home!
Call your vet clinic and ask if anyone there pet-sits or knows of a reliable pet-sitter. You have a better chance of getting someone reliable than getting "the sister of my friend's cousin's brother-in-law."

We usually pay our house-sitter $12 a night. She stays at the house, takes care of the animals, puts the trash out, get the mail, etc. Just make sure you're clear on what you expect from a sitter (and it never hurts to have family members stop by unexpectedly to make sure everything's okay).

“Some Call Me...Dingo”

Grand Rapids

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Arctic49519 wrote:
I've been doing some morel shroomin' this spring and some fishing/trapping. I just made a photobucket acct. Pics here:
Holy Crayfish ... Those pics are making my stomach rumble!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Mom in Jenison wrote:
<quoted text>
Call your vet clinic and ask if anyone there pet-sits or knows of a reliable pet-sitter. You have a better chance of getting someone reliable than getting "the sister of my friend's cousin's brother-in-law."
We usually pay our house-sitter $12 a night. She stays at the house, takes care of the animals, puts the trash out, get the mail, etc. Just make sure you're clear on what you expect from a sitter (and it never hurts to have family members stop by unexpectedly to make sure everything's okay).
That's a good idea! I have a couple friends even that could do something like that for us. I was always trying to figure out how we'd load them up and take them somewhere...

“Some Call Me...Dingo”

Grand Rapids

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Ms Angie wrote:
Where have you been up there Dingo, anywhere?
I'm trying to figure out ways the hubby and I can do more camping this year. We've stumbled on hiking and realized that we and our dogs really enjoy it. The hardest part is being gone overnight when we have five cats and three other dogs at home!
Dayum, Angie - you have a zoo over there :)

Like I said - I haven't been anywhere in the UP except Mackinac Island - and that doesn't count. My family owns property in Northwest Michigan (LP) and I spend my outdoor time there or fishing the lakes in southern Michigan. Asheville, North Carolina is our other hiking/vacation zone.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Tango Kilo wrote:
<quoted text>
Dayum, Angie - you have a zoo over there :)
Like I said - I haven't been anywhere in the UP except Mackinac Island - and that doesn't count. My family owns property in Northwest Michigan (LP) and I spend my outdoor time there or fishing the lakes in southern Michigan. Asheville, North Carolina is our other hiking/vacation zone.
LOL, I'm a crazy animal lover, I just can't help myself Dingo! lol

Here's my dream place to camp: http://www.exploringthenorth.com/tahqua/tahqu...

Haven't been up there since I was a kid, but I want to make a point to head that way some weekend this summer!

“November 12th, 2011”

up a tree

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

With all the rain, it has been a banner year for mosquitos, they have shortend a couple of excursions into the woods already this year. I am hoping for an early frost this fall or else the first part of bow season is gonna be brutal. I might have to try a thermo cell.

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Up in Mesick, there is a campground on the Little Manistee River, by the dam. My family camped there every year when I was a kid. Great fishing! The swimming was good, but I hear that a certain invasive species of mollusk has recently invaded...

“Some Call Me...Dingo”

Grand Rapids

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Hanging CHAD wrote:
Up in Mesick, there is a campground on the Little Manistee River, by the dam. My family camped there every year when I was a kid. Great fishing! The swimming was good, but I hear that a certain invasive species of mollusk has recently invaded...
Maybe Arctic can build a mollusk trap and whip up a hearty stew or something :) I'm still drooling over the steak and morel captain's platter in his pics!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Hanging CHAD wrote:
I saw a lot of those little invasive mollusks while I was on vacation last week. I was on Big Platte Lake and it is infested with zebra mussels. I had never seen anything like it before. In one square foot there were like 50 of them and it was that way throughout the lake. It was quite sad to see. There were signs up in public areas warning swimmers to use aqua shoes to keep from shredding their feet on the little razor sharp bastards.

“BUD/S Class 92”

Since: Sep 08

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Arctic49519 wrote:
This is awesome looking stuff. Wish I had the skills to hunt down the right shrooms. I'm to worried about getting the wrong one if you know what I mean.

“ACLU--Jihad with a law degree”

Since: Sep 08

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

MIbowhunter wrote:
With all the rain, it has been a banner year for mosquitos, they have shortend a couple of excursions into the woods already this year. I am hoping for an early frost this fall or else the first part of bow season is gonna be brutal. I might have to try a thermo cell.
Thermacells work AWESOME. Bought one after being carried into the next county turkey hunting this year. Spray wore off and we couldn't sit still.

Anyways, just started hunting last year, 2 birds and 2 deer already.

Been camping all my life and love it.

TK, Brimley is a very nice park, right along Lake Superior and so is Fort Wilkins. Haven't spent enough time camping in the rest of the UP, but there have to be many, many more great areas. Most of my time camping in the UP has been at Straits, right in St Ignace.

Absolutely fell in love with this park in Utah last year:

http://www.utah.com/stateparks/dead_horse.htm

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Arctic49519 wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw a lot of those little invasive mollusks while I was on vacation last week. I was on Big Platte Lake and it is infested with zebra mussels. I had never seen anything like it before. In one square foot there were like 50 of them and it was that way throughout the lake. It was quite sad to see. There were signs up in public areas warning swimmers to use aqua shoes to keep from shredding their feet on the little razor sharp bastards.
Zebra Mussels. Thanks! I was having a brain fart and couldn't remember what they were called. Real bummer when they invade a nice swimming area.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

It takes all kinds wrote:
<quoted text>
This is awesome looking stuff. Wish I had the skills to hunt down the right shrooms. I'm to worried about getting the wrong one if you know what I mean.
Thanks!
Morels are very easy to identify. Even a beginner with absolutely no mushroom experience can identify morels with good confidence. All it would take is a few pictures which are widely available on the 'net. There are no poisonous mushrooms that look like morels.
DaBadNeko

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Judged:

You ain't a real hunter...

Unless you can spend 3 days straight way out in the U.P. woods from dawn to dusk without thinking yourself crazy.

If you cannot stand being alone by yourself....hunting is not for you!

Even spending one day alone in the forest all by yourself will clean out your soul.(It is a religious experience for me!)

One of my favorite summer sports is taking non-hunting friends out to sit in one of my treestands with cameras.

I normally get lucky if my date sees a deer...LOL.

They don't realize the excitement they felt was just what we call "Buck Fever". Funny watching them trembling after it is all over!

And other than the gas to get there it doesn't cost anything.
DaBadNeko

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

Arctic49519 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!
Morels are very easy to identify. Even a beginner with absolutely no mushroom experience can identify morels with good confidence. All it would take is a few pictures which are widely available on the 'net. There are no poisonous mushrooms that look like morels.
If you make too much noise hunting them...
They will pop back under the ground and hide!
(Teach kids this!) ;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 1 hr Guru 806
Fifth Third Bank loses $202 million (Jul '08) 3 hr mat 217
New Year's Rapist Takes Plea Deal 4 hr Oneal 4
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 16 hr Shes awful 79
Local News Women (Apr '09) Wed Red Wood 2,294
What about the Malaysian jetliner? Tue Gville Jim 56
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Mon www 1,274
•••
•••