Internet predator sting nabs men in GR

Internet predator sting nabs men in GR

There are 514 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Oct 19, 2008, titled Internet predator sting nabs men in GR. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A 20-year-old from Cedar Springs. A 65-year-old retiree from Elkhart, Indiana. A 54-year-old contractor from Portland, Indiana.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

RED

Greenville, MI

#24 Oct 20, 2008
HOORAH! More sickos off the streets and in the system! It's about time Perverted Justice made its way to the West Michigan area. I am the mother of 4 teenagers and 2 of them have already been propositioned on the internet- one while at school! Thankfully my children know what to do and immediately block anyone that propositions them and tell me, so I can call the authorities.
a rational approach

Grand Rapids, MI

#25 Oct 20, 2008
my two cents wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Dateline stopped doing that after that guy commited suicide and his family sued NBC.
That just shows you how mentally ill he was. It kind of goes with the saying of "don't do the crime if you can't do the time." He was so humiliated that his filthy actions were caught on national TV that he chose the cowards way out to avoid any more publicity....and the TV station gets sued..sad.

“Go MSU Spartans!”

Since: Oct 08

Kalamazoo, MI

#26 Oct 20, 2008
No way that individuals that victimize children should get to keep their package. These people are not "curable". Why is this proposal not on the ballot? Oh that's right- it would be considered inhumane and we would rather protect these criminals' "rights".
Admicato

Brighton, CO

#27 Oct 20, 2008
ObamaMama wrote:
I can't wait to see GR on To Catch a Predator! Do we think it will be on TV though? They didn't mention it.
NBC discontinued that program...after a proscecutor in Texas got caught in a sex sting...after he was booked, he went home and committed suicide.

I think NBC should bring it back and it will raise the awareness on predators on line.

I hope they do it again 3-4 times a year.
seashell

Loveland, CO

#28 Oct 20, 2008
https://www.accesskent.com/InmateLookup/newSe...

Being that most will be back out on the streets, everyone should take a look at the mugshots of the ones in their area so you know.
mike davis

United States

#29 Oct 20, 2008
are we supposed to feel sorry for these losers? throw the key away.
Contradictory

Ann Arbor, MI

#30 Oct 20, 2008
Holy s***! I used to work with one of these guys and never ever would have guessed he'd get caught up in something like this.

Goes to show that you just never know...sickos.

Since: May 08

Hudsonville, MI

#31 Oct 20, 2008
Check them out. These are some hard working people http://www.perverted-justice.com/

“DON'T JUDGE ME”

Since: Jul 08

Holland, MI

#32 Oct 20, 2008
Isn't there a new law that they're given an automatic life sentence for messing with a child under 13?? Does there have to be penetration or just intent for that though?? I'm not trying to be stupid here, just understand .... If nothing's going to happen to those men then they're not going to change their actions. There's been enough televised shows regarding stings and yet these men still are out there contacting young kids. They are sick beyond sick and will not change or stop. Some of those men drove quite some distance looking for sex with a minor ... they would've been better off using their own hand and staying home. Men in jail for molestation, rape, or beating of a woman or child don't do well unless they've got physical strength to protect themselves .... they are targeted in there!(As they should be) These men are nasty and don't deserve to be on the streets, too bad we may end up supporting their nasty butts in the pen :( I can think of a cheaper way of dealing with them but we don't have the death penalty ... darn!

“Part of the uninformed masses.”

Since: Jun 08

Grand Rapids

#33 Oct 20, 2008
mike davis wrote:
are we supposed to feel sorry for these losers? throw the key away.
There aren't enough cells and enough keys to throw away. Far more goes on each day and this was probably not even 1% of this kind of activity for 1 weekend.
WILLIAM

South Bend, IN

#35 Oct 20, 2008
Ok I'm lost here. A young looking 26 year old pretending to be a minor. I'm not seeing a crime here.Sounds like simple role playing.
Emily

Lawton, MI

#36 Oct 20, 2008
I'm glad these men are off the streets and exposed to their friends and neighbors!

“mama's boy”

Since: Oct 08

Hastings

#37 Oct 20, 2008
my two cents wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Dateline stopped doing that after that guy commited suicide and his family sued NBC.
They SUED NBC?? How is bringing a crime out in the open a bad thing? As far as I'm concerned it's one less POS in prison sucking up tax dollars. The family was no doubt embarrassed but they should have seen it for what it was. A sicko got caught, couldn't handle the embarrassment and punishment, sicko offed himself. Case closed
Bryan

Grand Rapids, MI

#38 Oct 20, 2008
good going perverted justice. i wish you would print the faces news 8 ,i hope they get serious time and not a slap on the hand what sick people these guys are.
old_timer

Syracuse, NY

#40 Oct 20, 2008
These sick puppies thought they'd never be caught, LOL.
Bryan

Grand Rapids, MI

#41 Oct 20, 2008
WILLIAM wrote:
Ok I'm lost here. A young looking 26 year old pretending to be a minor. I'm not seeing a crime here.Sounds like simple role playing.
the crime is you got older men looking for under age sex .if we didnt have people like perverted justice. these pervs sit in chat rooms looking for underage kids. also shouldnt the parents be watching what theyre kids are doing online.
Jennifer

United States

#43 Oct 20, 2008
Don't even know what to say. It's disheartening to know that these men (in this case) would go to this extreme to perpetrate a minor. Very sad.
CBHawkeye

United States

#44 Oct 20, 2008
Great job.
Now they need to broaden the sting to same-sex sickos. The men that prey on young boys, just as sick and just as dangerous..and they are out there.
Trapped

Grand Rapids, MI

#45 Oct 20, 2008
I am going to get stoned for playing the devil's advocate here.

I still do NOT understand how this can't be considered entrapment. Now these men have their names plastered all over the Internet, with no regard to innocent until proven guilty.

Ultimately, there was NO wrongdoing. There was no teenager, there was no teen waiting at the house. Given in their MINDS there was, but I don't get it. If they actually had a teenager chatting with them, and had a teen at the house, then I would be all for it, and wouldn't consider it entrapment.

And for the record, with the things that teens are doing today, you are calling THEM perverts and molesters? Kids as young as 12 are having sexual intercourse and doing things that I wouldn't do as a grown person, let alone at the age when you should be playing with dolls and GI Joe Dolls.

And because I have to say this, because someone will take this all out of context, no I am not one of them, nor I do not support child molestation, I just feel that these stings are the wrong way to go about it. NO ONE was harmed, and in truthfulness, nothing happened. It's like that cartoon that you see of the ugly woman telling the ugly guy, "I weigh 110 lbs, blond hair blue eyes" and she's 300 lbs with short ugly hair and pock marks. Same damn thing to me.
Trapped

Grand Rapids, MI

#46 Oct 20, 2008
my two cents wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually they got sued for entrapment and shut the whole operation down.

From Wikipedia:
"In June 2007, Perverted-Justice was criticized following a sting operation in Collin County, Texas, that resulted in the charges against 23 suspected online sex predators being dropped. Collin County Assistant District Attorney Greg Davis said the cases were dropped after Perverted-Justice failed to provide enough usable evidence"

AND
"Montopoli also suggests that To Catch a Predator may not be as immune from the defense of entrapment as the show claims. Although Perverted-Justice volunteers wait for the suspect to initiate contact, former Dateline anchor Stone Phillips concedes that "... in many cases, the decoy is the first to bring up the subject of sex."

Keep in mind that we never really get to see the chat transcripts from these meetings either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'The fight is absolutely on' Wed MO_EATS_DUNGS 5
Local News Women (Apr '09) Wed BorculoDad 2,777
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Dec 5 a commenter 1,131
News The Latest: Trump calls Election Day 'our Indep... Dec 4 Cuddles6778 284
So glad Hillary is not President Dec 1 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 9
Amway Fireworks (May '09) Nov 29 Amwaysux 88
News WZZM13 - Holland Police looking for non-custodi... (May '07) Nov 27 TRUTH 22

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages