Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Riverdale, MI

#102 Feb 23, 2009
Shoeless Eluder wrote:
<quoted text>I remember when they built Saxony Village. I was born in 1955 I lived on Stuart street until I was twenty five right across from the Faith Baptist Church.
You weren't one of the teens smoking MJ at Millbrook Trails were you?

“Where I came from”

Since: Jan 09

the universe

#103 Feb 23, 2009
Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>Yup, I remember that although I don't remember the name. We lived on Van Auken right across from Ken-O-Sha. It was mostly woods back then and we had a great time playing in there as kids. Baseball games nearly every day. It was a great way to grow up.
It was Helmholdts greenhouse I used to help them pick tomatoes. I remember hanging down by Plaster creek my brother and I used to catch crayfish down there. Yep it was almost like living in the country back then it all changed in the early seventies.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Riverdale, MI

#104 Feb 23, 2009
Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>Yup, I remember that although I don't remember the name. We lived on Van Auken right across from Ken-O-Sha. It was mostly woods back then and we had a great time playing in there as kids. Baseball games nearly every day. It was a great way to grow up.
The creek there always got me muddy! We use to ride our bikes through the trails there.

“Where I came from”

the universe

#105 Feb 23, 2009
Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
<quoted text>You weren't one of the teens smoking MJ at Millbrook Trails were you?
No I wasn't but I remember where you are talking about. I was all over that area when I was a kid. For a long time there was an old wrecked caboose along the railroad tracks near Steelcase.
GR Fred

Elkhart, IN

#106 Feb 23, 2009
uh oh wrote:
Oh yeah, Jerry's Roadhouse. I spent many happy hours in the basement drinking and eating peanuts that everyone threw on the floor.
Did that basement bar have a name?
It was called "The Ratskeller". I might have the spelling wrong. Yeah, I spent many Saturday nights there too.

Also, Wurzburgs downtown, Fox Jewlers... they had that spinning diamond on their sign on Monroe. The "Town Talk" gas stations around town, they were bright yellow and with a black stripe... "I worked at the one on Division and Cottage Grove.

Joppies Dairy, Buth Dairy, Beelen's Surplus, Rexall Drugstores, and here are a few movie theaters around town... Savoy, Midtown, RKO Regent, RKO Keiths, Majestic, 4 Star, Center, Family, Our (the original sign is still up on Leonard by Alpine), Uptown.

May's Department Store downtown, Robert Hall on 28th, the HUB on Monroe and I am sure I will think of more...

How about S&H Green Stamps, and G&H Stamps? I also remember Sear's when there were downtown on Pearl next to the river.(Across from the Amway Grand).

The Jail was down that way also. Oh, and the old police station that was on Michigan and Ottawa. The Armoy that was on the north side of Michigan and Ottawa.

Softwater and Lamberton Lake. Use to go swimming there every summer.

On Plainfield where Meijer's is now, use to be called Helm's Center. Back by 4 Mile and Plainfield was Arlen's Department Store.

I also remember the old train station downtown.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Riverdale, MI

#107 Feb 23, 2009
Shoeless Eluder wrote:
<quoted text>No I wasn't but I remember where you are talking about. I was all over that area when I was a kid. For a long time there was an old wrecked caboose along the railroad tracks near Steelcase.
I had a minibike with a 3hp lawnmower motor(the Cat) I use to ride there. Wore a football helmet. I use to watch the guys doing hill climb on Suzuki's and Honda's and catching "big air" of all of three feet. My kid does 60 ft triples with out a sweat today. Suspensions are much better than back in the day...

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#108 Feb 23, 2009
bunnee wrote:
<quoted text>
ok, refresh my memory, the alcohol-slush joint just up the road from there?
What alcohol slush joint? LOL!

It was on 28th, east of Art Van.. the Roaring 20's Plaza... Basically across from where Costco is now. West of Patterson. Last I knew.. it was a Damon's

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#109 Feb 23, 2009
Marti from Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Lenny's on 36th street. A bartender was murdered there, and shortly after that it became something else, then something else, now I have no idea what it is.
A gal I use to work with.. that was to be her son-in-law
Marti from Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
We used to go to A&W Rootbeer Stands often. There was one at Fuller and Race street, kind of across from the old Corduroy Rubber Company on Fuller NE. BEST hot dogs anywhere! Waitresses would come and put a tray on our rolled down window, then we would order. I can still taste those wonderful mugs of A&W root beer, foaming over the rim. They even had a "baby size" mug for the little ones in the family.
There use to be an A&W drive in on The East Beltline. Use to go there with my Dad all the time.
GR Fred

Elkhart, IN

#110 Feb 23, 2009
jim wrote:
What about the Bavarian Inn, now that was a bar!
Yeah, Ronny Fray use to play there!

How about the "Bank" downtown! That was awesome.

“Where I came from”

the universe

#111 Feb 23, 2009
neecer wrote:
<quoted text>
A gal I use to work with.. that was to be her son-in-law
<quoted text>
There use to be an A&W drive in on The East Beltline. Use to go there with my Dad all the time.
I remember the A&W used to go there all the time when I got my drivers license. Now there is a Burger King there.
GR Fred

Elkhart, IN

#112 Feb 23, 2009
I suppose most of you don't remember Romona Park. When I was very young, my parents took me there. I was where Jacobson's was, and all those apartments by Reed's Lake. It was like a Cedar Point... obviously not as big, but it had the roller coaster, merry-go-round, funhose, various rides, etc. They also had a hot air balloon lauch. Also the boat rides on Reeds Lake.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Riverdale, MI

#113 Feb 23, 2009
GR Fred wrote:
I suppose most of you don't remember Romona Park. When I was very young, my parents took me there. I was where Jacobson's was, and all those apartments by Reed's Lake. It was like a Cedar Point... obviously not as big, but it had the roller coaster, merry-go-round, funhose, various rides, etc. They also had a hot air balloon lauch. Also the boat rides on Reeds Lake.
I lived around the corner from there in 1966, I think it was gone by then. We use to go there to swim and ice skate. All that is done now thanks to an overreaching govt.... I seen the pics a Rose's though.... I remember the two streets heading North from Romona Center and it had a swamp between them. The city filled it in with dirt. I caught a lot of frogs there....
Old Rocker

United States

#114 Feb 23, 2009
Ah yes, the Bavarian, We called it the Barbarian. Seems a lot of fights broke out in there.
The Shamrock just down the street too.

I spent my 21st birthday at the "Basement" in 1968. It was a downstairs bar with live music in the Tony Lakos building right at the bottom of the northbound exit ramp from 131. The building is long gone, the Marriot is on that corner now.

How about "Me & Dem Guys" at the Alpine Saloon at Westgate.
Old Rocker

United States

#115 Feb 23, 2009
the Kingtones too

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#116 Feb 23, 2009
GR Fred wrote:
I don't actually remember Ramona Park, but my older sister who is 62, does remember it. We have pictures of her riding on the little train. My father loved steam trains, as his father and he himself had worked on the old Pere Marquette Railway. They went to that park as much as possible.

The strollers in my sister and also my days, were called Tailor Tots, and very unusually shaped. The seat was kind of shaped like the seat on a bike, but longer, and it was surrounded by aluminum or metal of some kind with a long handle. We have pictures of either myself or my sister in one of those things.

Since: Sep 08

Saint Charles, IL

#117 Feb 23, 2009
hugh wrote:
I remember the old drive in right off kalamazoo at 28th!
I don't recall that. There was a drive in on 28th and Beltline and 28th and I-96, both on the southwest side. How about Ridgemoor Golf Club on the southeast corner of Breton and Burton. There were two driving ranges at 28th & Kzoo, one on Kzoo near the new retirement homes and the other on 28th near the soccer fields of Jaycee Park. What was the name of the golfcourse on 44th near Schaeffer, it closed about 15 years ago I think. Hollys anyone, Jefferson & State? Mulvihills Olds on Division north of Hall. Row Olds on Jefferson near Cherry. How about the railroad passenger platform on Kzoo just north of Alger and Alger not going east from Kzoo. Wasn't there a place called Landmans before MC Sports on 28th. I learned to love Mr. Fables at Breton & 28th. Betty Trill's Texaco at College and Michigan. I think the guy that started Jerry' Roadhouse is the founder of our Topix Party site, Beltline Bar.

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#118 Feb 23, 2009
Later when Ramona Park was gone, we still went to Reeds Lake for 4th of July Fireworks and always got caramel corn at Rose's. We also sometimes walked down to Fuller Park to watch the Fireworks.
GR Fred

Elkhart, IN

#119 Feb 23, 2009
Old Rocker wrote:
the Kingtones too
The last time I saw the Kingtones were out at the Silo in Marne. That must have been in the late 70's early 80's

Since: Oct 07

Cloud Nine

#120 Feb 23, 2009
What about Paulo's Lounge.

Since: Sep 08

Saint Charles, IL

#121 Feb 23, 2009
GR Fred wrote:
<quoted text>
The last time I saw the Kingtones were out at the Silo in Marne. That must have been in the late 70's early 80's
I saw them just a while ago at the Legion on Monroe, Harvard and Gowen. Phil Roberts is still around. I did not know until recently that the old lead singers (Pete Merveene)family owns the Pump House at 44th & Kzoo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Back in Iraq. WMD's? oil? 5 hr No_More_Dems 106
WLLA channel 64 - off the air? (Feb '12) 7 hr glassy girl 8
Obama and cocaine addicts 15 hr Leroy 11
go blue goes black Tue Idea Maker 68
Crowd Walks Out On Obama Tue no_more_dems 6
Watch Racebaiter Oprah Wigout On Guest's Opinion Tue Eldasha 54
How bad are grand rapids roads Tue a commenter 3
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match

Grand Rapids Jobs