Another Observer

Jenison, MI

#932 Apr 17, 2014
Jim wrote:
Anybody remember a burger joint named, I believe, Come Back? As I recall it was like a McDonalds. Located in Wyoming.
It was spelled with a K and a u and an m-Bak. The word police wouldn't let me post it as it was spelled.. I believe it was on 28th St. just west of Division.
Plughead

Alexandria, VA

#934 Apr 22, 2014
After my freshman year in college I had a great job in the summer of 1967 coaching the Blythefield CC just N of Cannonsburg Rd. The long-standing coach, a local high school swim coach, abruptly quit. So at “almost” 19 I inherited the job. Loved it.

But even better was a regular event back then in East Grand Rapids. Along Reeds Lake was a parking lot overlooking the lake which was (I think) behind city hall. They had teen dances where I met (or reconnect with a girl I had met the summer before in Grand Haven. She, a South High senior that summer remembered me and became my college girlfriend.

Dates included Mr. Fables on S Division and of course, watching “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf” at Studio 28.

As a senior in high school I drove up Kalamazoo Ave to Ottawa HS and remember having to wait for the C&O passenger train that stopped there, just N of the city golf course.

Town & Country Shopping Center just N of 44th was pretty civilized back then. Bendle’s Pharmacy. The hardware store that sold BB guns and slingshots. Harm & Pete’s barber shop.

Then of course the original Home Acres Feed Store in S Division @44th that located later to Town & Country, then disappeared.
Janice

Grand Rapids, MI

#935 Apr 27, 2014
Does anyone out there remember Bowens skating rink at 52nd & Division? Did anyone skate there around 1960, 61 and 62? Remember Ed, Roger, Larry, Earl, Ronnie, Bob, Randy, just a few of the names of the people I remember that skated there. Old memories but good ones!
Mcsawby

Wyoming, MI

#936 Apr 28, 2014
Oh yeah, I worked there! they had roaches and reused food sitting around for hours. I would go into details but it would only give you nightmares
lol. Why ruin the memory's.
Mcsawby

Wyoming, MI

#937 Apr 28, 2014
Bob338 wrote:
<quoted text>I kew a guy that worked as a cook there back in the 80's, he said they had roaches. After that I never ate there, YUK!!!
Oh yeah, I worked there! they had roaches and reused food sitting around for hours. I would go into details but it would only give you nightmares lol. Why ruin the memory's.
d rae

Toledo, OH

#938 May 1, 2014
jo w wrote:
Anyone know the name of the bar on the corner of Alpine and Ann St? It's a parking lot now.....waste of space.
Brass Monkey
James Minier

Tallahassee, FL

#939 May 4, 2014
There used to be a bar on the opposite corner of Ann and Alpine. Across from The Brass Monkey called The Sand And Surf.
Starlyyte

Grandville, MI

#941 Jun 12, 2014
T TAYLOR - COMSTOCK PARK wrote:
Fingers Restaurant down off Northland Drive... as a kid I found it amazing that I could step on the peddle in the bathroom to make the water turn on.
I had my wedding reception there in 1972!
Jim

Ionia, MI

#942 Jul 4, 2014
Another Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
It was spelled with a K and a u and an m-Bak. The word police wouldn't let me post it as it was spelled.. I believe it was on 28th St. just west of Division.
Thank-you...it was driving me nuts trying to remember it! And you're right, now that I think about the spelling!
Ann

Silver Spring, MD

#943 Jul 7, 2014
Does anyone know what happened to the Alpine Lounge or 54th Street? I used to go there all the time back in the late 80's and early 90's and they were the best!!
Torch14th

Grand Rapids, MI

#944 Jul 25, 2014
I am wondering if anybody remembers the name of the restaurant on the NE corner of Eastern and 44th street. I've asked everyone. They remember a place there but don't remember the name. Any help?
Divewitch

United States

#945 Aug 7, 2014
petoriusrex wrote:
<quoted text>
Was called THE GREAT NORTHERN MUSIC HALL (a concert venue) or somesuch in the early 80's, then turned into CARNIVAL. I went and saw Pat Travers there when it was TGNMH.
OMG I remember Hittin up Carnival AND Shout! Man I just found a cup & shot class I had in the back of my cabinet from Shout! ;) fun times! Dancing on the car! ;)
Larrt

North Port, FL

#946 Aug 21, 2014
Don't forget wimpy's hamburgers on division ave.
wiz

Battle Creek, MI

#947 Aug 29, 2014
Ann wrote:
Does anyone remember the name of the rock and roll bar that was located in Eastown on Lake Drive (I think)back in the 80's? I believe it is now a church of some kind.
Intersection Bar, East Town Saloon across the street.......... Lake Dr. and Wealthy..........
a commenter

Jenison, MI

#948 Aug 30, 2014
wiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Intersection Bar, East Town Saloon across the street.......... Lake Dr. and Wealthy..........
I believe it was "Shout" It was in the old Eastown theater
JimGR

Grand Rapids, MI

#950 Sep 1, 2014
The old Neiboer's roller rink has been gone a long long long time now (2014). I used to do there when I was a young kid back in the 60's. Had lots of fun there. I won a stuffed animal there one night. Was a Huckleberry Hound. Those sure were the good time back then.
James Minier

Tallahassee, FL

#951 Sep 3, 2014
kookierecluse wrote:
How about town & country pop!
Town Club
Bedhead

Chesterfield, MO

#953 Sep 15, 2014
Towne Club soda-pop... for some reason, I thought it still existed and I would be able to get some the next time I visit Michigan! Another memory to add to the archive along with the Nabisco Famous Cookie Assortment and Crazy Foam.

Does anyone remember the Red Lion? I think it was a chain, but I could be wrong. I used to go to one on Michigan so maybe it was the only one... but I thought there were several. Is that place still in business? Couldn't find it on google... so I'm thinking probably not.
a commenter

Jenison, MI

#955 Sep 16, 2014
Bedhead wrote:
Towne Club soda-pop... for some reason, I thought it still existed and I would be able to get some the next time I visit Michigan! Another memory to add to the archive along with the Nabisco Famous Cookie Assortment and Crazy Foam.
Does anyone remember the Red Lion? I think it was a chain, but I could be wrong. I used to go to one on Michigan so maybe it was the only one... but I thought there were several. Is that place still in business? Couldn't find it on google... so I'm thinking probably not.
All the Red Line's closed years ago. I believe there were 5 or 6 of them around town. There was , for a while, a Red Line and a Red Lion right across the street from each other on Bridge street.
There was the two on Bridge Street, one on Leonard, One on Michigan and one on S. Division.
There is still a Red Hot Inn on Plainfield that serves a very similar menu.
grandnat84

Comstock Park, MI

#956 Sep 17, 2014
Maybe I missed it listed. How about the POPCORN SHACK?? On west Fulton across from Nawara Bros. The little building is still there by the way

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 3 hr stewart scott 1,942
News Shop owner will deny - openly gay' customers 5 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 81
News State holds unclaimed property - and it can be ... 14 hr TheMissingMoneyLady 1
bruce jenner!? who cares! Tue ricardo gran polla 6
News Victim in ponzi scheme comes forward (May '09) Tue Batch 37 Pain Is ... 40
are you texas enough? Tue Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2
News 1 dead, 4 injured after driver falls asleep, st... Mon robert 1
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]