Comments
881 - 900 of 931 Comments Last updated Friday Jul 25
The Stu

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#891
Oct 25, 2013
 
...and don't forget Dave Miller's Muscat Ramblers(Dixieland Jazz) at Savory Street, 28th St
The Stu

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#892
Oct 27, 2013
 
...and don't forget Bier Meister's Pub, 1134 Wealthy, featuring jazz nightly, serving German dinners and sandwiches, deep fried mushrooms, import beers...
Steve

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#893
Oct 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Onedoer wrote:
Does anyone remember the windows of Wurzburgs and Herpolshiemers at Christmas. Animated animals, Monroe Ave decorated with enough lights to dazzle any kid. It wasn't Christmas without a trip downtown.
As I type this I remember the parade and activities for the March of Dimes. There were boxes along the sidewalk. Much like flower boxes only much longer and the business men stood next to them beating the wood with canes telling you to throw your dimes into the box.
This memory has been memorialized in the movie "The Polar Express" where the train passes (down Louis Street, presumably) past the Herpolsheimer's window and you can see the animated displays.
Cindy

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#894
Nov 7, 2013
 
I remember going to the Creston theater and watching the original Jack the Giant Killer when I was a kid. Grand Rapids was a great place to grow up.
Skrunchy

Leroy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#895
Dec 1, 2013
 
When Alpine had Kmart and Keller Ford. That was nice!!
Larry A H

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#896
Dec 3, 2013
 
yes we use to go to aunt jemimias.as a kid we would get the pigin blanket,or silver dollar panakes.all the different syrups on island in middle of table.use to go to sambos to from time to time.they both served good breakfast.as for politaly correct there was no such thing back then.everone just aving a good time.i do miss both of those places.when i started driving farther when i started driving in the early 70s there were red lion hots.also good eating.there was at least 6 i think in g.r.,mi area.dicks fine foods next door to subway on division.deans cafe was good also.that has been 28th st chinese food for a long time.there was the big red barn. go in order hot dogs and sit in old school desk chairs to eat.the hitching post that the owners ran b4 they sold was real good food also.granny kitchen i went there once yrs ago.it had a toy train riding up high on the wall.mr fables is another that went by the way side.that was a good place to eat also.then there was the svenden house,thats a toy place for a long time.that sure was good eating in its day.then there was stuckes that were on over passes of hiways.those were good eating also.yes i know ,a lot of the ones i ave listed were go up to the counter and order.most of the places i ave listed served breakfast the whole time they were open.some were open 24/7.yes i love going places that do breakfast that way if too many things soung good,or nothing leeps off the page so to speak,i then order breakfast.bk when they still flame broiled their burgers and they realy had something then.the old golden arches when they were still quit new yet in the 60s.the old russ on east 8th st holland mi.park at curb and order in car and ave food brought to u on a window hook tray.dog and suds,a&w had the same thing.12/3/013 1313hrs
Chuck Burton Dallas TX

Baton Rouge, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#897
Dec 7, 2013
 
any one remember the 28st drive in theater next door there was a hotel you could get a room for the night and watch the movie showing at the drive in from your room ,my wife and I watched the movie Shaft ,wow that was a long time ago. Or how about grannies kitchen, on 28th there would be lady dressed to look like grandma sitting out front in a rocking chair .

Woody

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#898
Dec 9, 2013
 
Chuck Burton Dallas TX wrote:
any one remember the 28st drive in theater next door there was a hotel you could get a room for the night and watch the movie showing at the drive in from your room ,my wife and I watched the movie Shaft ,wow that was a long time ago. Or how about grannies kitchen, on 28th there would be lady dressed to look like grandma sitting out front in a rocking chair .
Chuck - were you the owner of the Burton Capri? I spent an evening
there while a "student" in college watching a whaling documentary called "Thar she blows".
bkbyer

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#899
Dec 9, 2013
 
Saron Parrott Gryczan wrote:
Does anyone remembr the Albo Room on Division
it was the elbow room. Not albow.
bkbyer

Allendale, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#900
Dec 9, 2013
 
Gus Carvill wrote:
<quoted text>
It was closer to Quigley I think, Joe Perry played there in the late seventies with the "Joe Perry Project" while he was broke up with Aerosmith. The song I remember was "Let the music do the talking. The name of the theater started with an A. But I can't remember it.
I did not get in to the Joe Perry show, I hung out in the alley behind it. I do not know if it still stands.
it was the FOUR STAR.
Tom Tusing

Cornelius, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#902
Dec 30, 2013
 
Larry A H wrote:
yes we use to go to aunt jemimias.as a kid we would get the pigin blanket,or silver dollar panakes.all the different syrups on island in middle of table.use to go to sambos to from time to time.they both served good breakfast.as for politaly correct there was no such thing back then.everone just aving a good time.i do miss both of those places.when i started driving farther when i started driving in the early 70s there were red lion hots.also good eating.there was at least 6 i think in g.r.,mi area.dicks fine foods next door to subway on division.deans cafe was good also.that has been 28th st chinese food for a long time.there was the big red barn. go in order hot dogs and sit in old school desk chairs to eat.the hitching post that the owners ran b4 they sold was real good food also.granny kitchen i went there once yrs ago.it had a toy train riding up high on the wall.mr fables is another that went by the way side.that was a good place to eat also.then there was the svenden house,thats a toy place for a long time.that sure was good eating in its day.then there was stuckes that were on over passes of hiways.those were good eating also.yes i know ,a lot of the ones i ave listed were go up to the counter and order.most of the places i ave listed served breakfast the whole time they were open.some were open 24/7.yes i love going places that do breakfast that way if too many things soung good,or nothing leeps off the page so to speak,i then order breakfast.bk when they still flame broiled their burgers and they realy had something then.the old golden arches when they were still quit new yet in the 60s.the old russ on east 8th st holland mi.park at curb and order in car and ave food brought to u on a window hook tray.dog and suds,a&w had the same thing.12/3/013 1313hrs
my Grandma worked at dicks fine food for years Maxine was her name they had the best food back then the Burgers served on homemade toasted bread.
Diane Anes Gaeta

Thorntown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#903
Jan 8, 2014
 
blown away wrote:
Crus'in the Circut downtown
Oh how I remember this so much fun!!
Richard

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#904
Jan 8, 2014
 
Diane Anes Gaeta wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh how I remember this so much fun!!
Diane - I think I remember you sweetie. Did I possibly pick you up once and go parking at Johnson Park together while watching turds floating down the river?
Oneal

Three Rivers, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#905
Jan 8, 2014
 
Is anyone here old enough to have gone to Ramona Park on Reeds Lake?
Richard

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#906
Jan 10, 2014
 
Oneal wrote:
Is anyone here old enough to have gone to Ramona Park on Reeds Lake?
I'm not but I've heard my mother talk about it. Are you about 86?
Oneal

Three Rivers, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#907
Jan 10, 2014
 
Richard wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not but I've heard my mother talk about it. Are you about 86?
I'm not even half that age, but we recently attended a book talk at the GR Public Library showcasing an author who wrote a book on Ramona Park. We took my dad and he is late 80's. He remembers in great detail going to Ramona Park as a kid. From what I learned it was really an amazing place. They had some big name celebrities like Jack Benny, etc. perform there too.

Pretty cool!
Richard

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#908
Jan 10, 2014
 
Oneal wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not even half that age, but we recently attended a book talk at the GR Public Library showcasing an author who wrote a book on Ramona Park. We took my dad and he is late 80's. He remembers in great detail going to Ramona Park as a kid. From what I learned it was really an amazing place. They had some big name celebrities like Jack Benny, etc. perform there too.
Pretty cool!
So I've heard. Are you the Oneal from the Gus Macker Tournaments or the transmission place?
Corncobb

Hamilton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#909
Jan 21, 2014
 
Reading about rogers deptment store . Remember "ma" would go there and Dad would walk us over to the hobby shop between rogers and kenney shoes . They had like a 6-8 lane slot car race track we would pay a little and race our cars on . Coolest ever ! Even had a overpass and figure. 8 !
Great memories
Linda

Byron Center, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#910
Feb 10, 2014
 
JWM wrote:
<quoted text> Hey Dave this is Willie Minier. I was with the first band that played the Stardust. The Situations. Before I met your Mom and Dad. Before Dick Leanord remodeled it. His dad ran it. It was known as the Cedar Bar. I don't have any pictures but remember seeing some. The outside looked exactly like the Stardust in Las Vegas. The inside had a horse shoe style bar with a split level dance floor. The split level also carried through around the bar. Taller stools below and short chairs above. With steps to the upper dance floor by the bar.
The Cedar Bar was a little neighborhood bar next to the alley by Fulton and Lexington we used to go in there for pop when we were kids in the 50s. I remember the owner and his son when he was a teen...Great people!!
Linda

Byron Center, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#911
Feb 10, 2014
 
The Cedar Bar was a little neighborhood bar next to the alley by Fulton and Lexington we used to go in there for pop when we were kids in the 50s. I remember the owner and his son when he was a teen...Great people!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 22 min Dr X 85
New Year's Rapist Takes Plea Deal 6 hr Jim 11
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 12 hr Jim 808
go blue goes black 12 hr Jim 9
Fifth Third Bank loses $202 million (Jul '08) Thu mat 217
Local News Women (Apr '09) Jul 30 Red Wood 2,294
What about the Malaysian jetliner? Jul 29 Gville Jim 56
•••
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••