Old things and places we remember from the Grand Rapids area.

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

Comments (Page 44)

Showing posts 861 - 880 of921
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
jo w

Kalamazoo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

BkByer wrote:
The downtown 'circuit' was around in the mid-50s. Going downtown on Monday nights was the thing to do and not necessarily to shop. It would be bumper to bumper with teenage kids driving around, stopping to talk to anyone they chose, anytime they chose. Noone ever protested with much more than a honk of the horn. And lots of times the horn honk was not a protest but a grab for attention from someone of the opposite sex.
I know, I was there. I was a teenager at the time. LOL
Also was there in the mid 60's....lot's of crusin' and car hopping. Damn, those were the best of times.
Robin

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

jo w wrote:
<quoted text>
Also was there in the mid 60's....lot's of crusin' and car hopping. Damn, those were the best of times.
You ever get picked up Jo, or where you kind of a dog.
DAG

Caledonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

How many people bought their albums from Dave Swart and Harry Dieterman at Flaming Rat Records? It was at the Towne and Country shopping center (44th & Kalamazoo Ave) for many years, then Dave moved on to 28th st across from Woodland Mall. The best store for any records, water beds, hippie stuff and general paraphenalia.
Old Rocker

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

jo w wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd go back in a flash...knowing or not knowing. Way to perfect a time.
You can return to the place you love, but you can never go back.
Lassie

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Robin wrote:
<quoted text>
You ever get picked up Jo, or where you kind of a dog.
I really resent your implying that being a dog is a bad thing.
What other mammal can poop wherever they want and have someone else follow them around to pick it up? Now please pass the Dog Biscuits!
DIANE

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

OLE TACOS ON DIVISION...BEST TACO MEAT BURRITOS EVER!!! THEY ACTUALLY PUT SOME MEAT IN THEM UNLIKE SOME OF THE OTHER CHAINS THAT WONT BE NAMED...LOL ANYBODY REMEMBER WIMPYS ON DIVISION..FOOT LONG HOT DOGS ALSO BARGAIN BENNYS.
Old Rocker

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

DIANE wrote:
OLE TACOS ON DIVISION...BEST TACO MEAT BURRITOS EVER!!! THEY ACTUALLY PUT SOME MEAT IN THEM UNLIKE SOME OF THE OTHER CHAINS THAT WONT BE NAMED...LOL ANYBODY REMEMBER WIMPYS ON DIVISION..FOOT LONG HOT DOGS ALSO BARGAIN BENNYS.
Bargain Benny's commercials.
"Former factory worker and union member."

Also Sam & Stan's
Josie Kempenaar

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

I remember when the Beltline drive in had "Bounce-Land" which was where they had in ground trampolines.....I would spend evenings there with my friends watching them do back flips and all kinds of crazy stunts......across the street we would play pool at Ananza Sands....I remember when McDonalds had the sigh out front that said 1 million burgers sold.....not billions!! Rogers Plaza used to hold battle of the bands in the middle of the mall for us teen agers.....those were the days my friend...we thought they'd never end!! Montgomery Wards , Earl Robinsons.....and Arlans Dept. stores are a thing of the past.....but not forgotten!
Mike

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

What was the name of the restaurant at Lakos on the hill on Michigan street in the 70's and 80's?
Roy

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Josie Kempenaar wrote:
I remember when the Beltline drive in had "Bounce-Land" which was where they had in ground trampolines.....I would spend evenings there with my friends watching them do back flips and all kinds of crazy stunts......across the street we would play pool at Ananza Sands....I remember when McDonalds had the sigh out front that said 1 million burgers sold.....not billions!! Rogers Plaza used to hold battle of the bands in the middle of the mall for us teen agers.....those were the days my friend...we thought they'd never end!! Montgomery Wards , Earl Robinsons.....and Arlans Dept. stores are a thing of the past.....but not forgotten!
Used to love to watch them bounce at the Parkway Tropics too.
Roque Alberto Cutuli

San Miguel, Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

Excellent, Good for GR!!
Stacy

Big Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

My father used to take us here. It was really cool. I wish I knew where it was and could find it again. If you ever find it, let me know.
Stoney Leather wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Ned,
I just brought it up at a party recently. My wife and I had just met and had an old beat up wide bottom canoe. This place was perfect for Pig's Point! I left it there all weekend for all to use. For those of you not familiar, you could launch a canoe or raft and the river would take you on a nice little trip, which would bring you back to within fifty feet of where you started.
If anyone remembers how to get there, let me know at: wdvj@netzero.com
Thanks
Tim Huffman

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

Ann wrote:
Does anyone remember the name of the rock and roll bar that was located in Eastown on Lake Drive (I think)back in the 80's? I believe it is now a church of some kind.
It was called Shout and it was the old Eastown Theatre that has been a church now for years.
Saron Parrott Gryczan

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Does anyone remembr the Albo Room on Division
Steve

Wyoming, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

The Elms was a cool little drive in resturant. My mother worked there for awhile, but the owner was a real pervert. My mom had to quit becouse of that guy.
Does anyone remember the phones at the drive-in at The Rainbow Grill?
katylied

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Scott D wrote:
<quoted text>worked at Pollyanna from1973- 1984
Loved that bakery. My Grandma always took me...
katylied

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

CJl wrote:
<quoted text>
That was more than 31 years ago for Roy Rogers
Yes. Went there every year for 4th of Juky fireworks!
Old Rocker

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

Saron Parrott Gryczan wrote:
Does anyone remembr the Albo Room on Division
I thought it was the Elbow Room.
Oldfart

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Steve wrote:
The Elms was a cool little drive in resturant. My mother worked there for awhile, but the owner was a real pervert. My mom had to quit becouse of that guy.
Does anyone remember the phones at the drive-in at The Rainbow Grill?
Went to the Elms drive in the first weekend I have my driver's license. Took my parents 1959 Plymouth station wagon. I turned to short and dented the car door on the tray holder pole. My dad was cool about it though. When I came home and said I'd had an accident he was so relieved that I hadn't had anything more serious that I only had a brief lecture on being more careful. Back then he probably had a $25.00 deductible insurance.
Used to spend lots of time at Rainbow grille drive in too. It got to be such a crowd hanging around there that they had to hire a rent a cop to keep traffic moving. Great memories.
The Stu

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Ahhh, the saloon in the lobby of the Pantlind Hotel...toss those peanut shells over your shoulder onto the floor

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 861 - 880 of921
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
See which historic homes will be on the Heritag... 5 hr Coretta 1
Tea party the AmeicanTaliban 6 hr Dr X 15
Get Ready To Pay More For Food. 12 hr Phil 33
sochi russian for sucker!! 12 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 11
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 23 hr Go Blue Forever 895
Sebelius botches farewell speech Wed Batch 37 Pain Is Good 30
Is Volunteer Energy legit? (Oct '10) Wed Jeanette 52
•••
•••
•••
Grand Rapids Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
•••