Comments
801 - 820 of 937 Comments Last updated Yesterday
Dopey the Dwarf

Richland, MI

#808 Mar 24, 2013
.....and now Little Mexico Cafe is closing down.....
Dtownsportsfan

Pismo Beach, CA

#809 Mar 28, 2013
Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
the Elms burned down in the late 70's or early 80's I believe. There is a Wendy's there now.
what a coincidence, that Wendy's burned down, too! Lol! Must be some bad Karma there. I moved out of Michigan in '08, I wonder if they rebuilt it or not.
Macky

Hudsonville, MI

#810 Mar 28, 2013
Dtownsportsfan wrote:
<quoted text>what a coincidence, that Wendy's burned down, too! Lol! Must be some bad Karma there. I moved out of Michigan in '08, I wonder if they rebuilt it or not.
Yes, Michigan is still here! We're in the process of rebuilding it but Obama is making it difficult.
Bill Heys

Madison Heights, MI

#811 Mar 31, 2013
Does anyone remember the restaurant on 28th and kraft with the new Orleans theme
michele

Myrtle Beach, SC

#812 Apr 4, 2013
Hi does anyone remember savory street or even better .farrells ice cream.my favorite place to go for my b day we always ordered the zoo they would ring the bell and run up and down the ilses.then before you paid you went through a whole candy shop it was awesome !!! I lived on the thornapple river in 1967 til1972 it was wonderful.on the 4th of july they would have a parade a all the kids would decorate our bikes with cray paper.then at the end of the parade there was a festival.even as a kid you could run around loose and meet up later so you could go to the gravel pit and sit in the bed of the pickup truck and watch the fireworks.annd one of us always one a cake at the cake walk so we always had it there for deaert.i was wondering if the drive in theater is still there i believe ther were 6 screens.they always had a double feature.my mom would put my brother and i in our pjs and pop a huge paper bag of popcorn and bring can sodas in with us.i remember we watched herbie the love bug.then fell asleep.loved thw old consesion adsthough i never misses those.i sure hope everyone has good memories of that time
Michael

Toronto, Canada

#813 Apr 16, 2013
Madam Fluff (the original "Tootsie" - boa feathers and all - sang like the Red Hot Mamma she was with Uncle Charlie on the upright piano in the Back Room Saloon. A oft overlooked jewel in GR in the 70's. Great burgers, fries and pickles. Who remembers?!
Nana

Grand Rapids, MI

#815 Apr 18, 2013
Does anyone remember the "sugar bowl" on Butterworth st.?
Nana

Grand Rapids, MI

#816 Apr 18, 2013
oh wow wrote:
<quoted text>maybe you are thinking of Johnny's on the corner of lane and butterworth? i think there was another store on the corner of straight and butterworth too. do you remember mrs.wickstrum at straight school?(prob spelled wrong)
did you know the czarnecki's at the end of gunnison?
I knew Margie Czarnecki. the store on straight and butterworth in the 60s was called (spelled wrong) campaus,pronounced cam paws. Johnny's was Halas' across from Russ' drugstore.i had Mrs. Wickstrum in kindergarten (1959) at Straight school. Mrs.Harriet Spencer was the principal.i went there through the 6th grade.
raymond

Allendale, MI

#817 Apr 18, 2013
katyliedttchaseme wrote:
<quoted text>
I LOVED these restaurants AND The Plainfield Drive-In!!! So neat how it was up on a bluff...
what was the name of the restaurant by the Sveden House that had Roadhouse in the name?
Kathy Savina Myers

Jenison, MI

#818 Apr 24, 2013
raymond wrote:
<quoted text>
what was the name of the restaurant by the Sveden House that had Roadhouse in the name?
It was Jerry's Roadhouse, owned by the same person who owned The Beltline Bar at the time.
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#819 Apr 25, 2013
Jerry's Roadhouse was in the basement of the Swiss Chalet. Applebees is on that spot now.
Jerry

Hudsonville, MI

#820 Apr 25, 2013
Old Rocker wrote:
Jerry's Roadhouse was in the basement of the Swiss Chalet. Applebees is on that spot now.
Jerry's was a restaurant in Hudsonville that didn't make it because they wouldn't allow booze in Hudsonville.
Now they allow booze but the high end restaurants they were trying to attract want nothing to do with Hudsie. Meanwhile alcoholism runs rampant. Thanks Chamber of Commerce!
Dixon Cross

United States

#821 Apr 25, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
LOVED that place!
also remebering Splash Water Park, Dome World... Maze Craze... and how about that old haunted house out on Division street--you could see it from US131, it was south of either the 84th st or 100th street exit maybe?
Nothing beats hanging out a good water park for the day. I miss splash water park. its kind of a pain to run all the way to muskegon and pay that kind of money to get into michigan adventure. and maze craze was so much fun to run around in. i think i'd still enjoy that place even as an adult
Ann

Silver Spring, MD

#822 Apr 25, 2013
Does anyone remember the name of the rock and roll bar that was located in Eastown on Lake Drive (I think)back in the 80's? I believe it is now a church of some kind.
Wyoming Park Vikings

Newport Beach, CA

#824 Apr 25, 2013
Eastown and Lake is Mulligans; Intersection Bar;
Wyoming Park Vikings

Newport Beach, CA

#825 Apr 25, 2013
Is the Grandvilla Dungeon still on Chicao dr and the Invanrest On ramp to 28th street? They use to have the 60 oz steak -challenge -if you eat the whole thing with salad and sides it was free.
setrlvr

Lake Odessa, MI

#826 Apr 25, 2013
I remember the way the expansion cracks in M-37 sounded on what seemed like such a long way to Woodland Mall from Caledonia and the big sign on the right just under 36th that said "I am who am" and the Lescoa animals on the left side of M-37.
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#827 Apr 26, 2013
Ann wrote:
Does anyone remember the name of the rock and roll bar that was located in Eastown on Lake Drive (I think)back in the 80's? I believe it is now a church of some kind.
I believe it was called "Shout"
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#828 Apr 26, 2013
Wyoming Park Vikings wrote:
Is the Grandvilla Dungeon still on Chicao dr and the Invanrest On ramp to 28th street? They use to have the 60 oz steak -challenge -if you eat the whole thing with salad and sides it was free.
Yep, the Dungeon is still there.
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#829 Apr 26, 2013
Jerry wrote:
<quoted text>
Jerry's was a restaurant in Hudsonville that didn't make it because they wouldn't allow booze in Hudsonville.
Now they allow booze but the high end restaurants they were trying to attract want nothing to do with Hudsie. Meanwhile alcoholism runs rampant. Thanks Chamber of Commerce!
Those were two different restaurants.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
President O'Blama' Punts Again 52 min Oneal 2
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 3 hr Rob 17
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 4 hr Buffalo Bull 1,331
Meet The Press 6 hr Oneal 7
Van Buren County makes changeover to video cour... 18 hr Anon 1
Movie Theater Demolished 23 hr Oneal 14
A long-time cafe in the East Hills are may close Sun Dominic 1
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search