|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
Schensuls was in Rogers Plaza, The Sveden House was across the street and a little further west.
There were several Schensuls around town
I LOVED these restaurants AND The Plainfield Drive-In!!! So neat how it was up on a bluff...
katylied

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

I also loved The Onion Crock... Those cinnamon rolls!!!!
katylied

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

Judged:

Southpaw7391 wrote:
Hello everyone...
I just spent the last couple hours reading these,
what memories, I love reading this type of stuff,
I've searched and searched the WEB for pages that have pictures of some of the places that were talked about on here, maybe I should start one ... LOL
There are a couple post on here that no one answered
I remember the slide on 28th st, it was where the red barn theater is now, the Arby's which I think is now closed has been there for as long as I can remember..
To clear up something about Dicks Resort, Dicks was in front of the Woodland Skating rink, which was also Electric Ave, and Coral Gables, it was torn down and now a car audio installation place sits near where the original building was Aldis is where the parking lot was ... South side Jimmy's was on Burton and Breton, last I knew it was still a bar with a different name...
I do also remember the building on 28th and Breton, behind the Shell station, You are correct, it was Emduns (children clothing place) then I think it was empty for a long time before Dunhams moved in, then now a flooring place...
THANK YOU!!! I always told people I saw Flipper at the mall!! AND Tilly The Talking Christmas Tree!!!
Some things I remember, Cone land on 28th St.
with its dirt floors, its now a taco place, at least it was...
Kamingas car wash on Division and 28th, Never understood why the Amaco station and Kamingas closed. always seemed busy...
"Tilly the Talking Christmas Tree" and "Flipper" making yearly appearances at Eastbrook Mall, Yes they brought a mobile Dolphin tank in to a mall, early 70's maybe... It was always in front of Steketees dept store...
We also had a "Cruising area" I'm in my 40's
we would cruise 28th st... Big area to hang out was Rogers Plaza, back when they had the digital sign with a temperature gauge ...
As many of you have said...
"Those were the days"
Enjoyed the memories. glad I fond this page...
THANK YOU!!! Always told people I saw Flipper at the mall!!
katylied

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

Remember when Meijer had an area where you could drop your kids off while shopping? There was a tv and a sculpture to climb on...
Dave Hill

Cadillac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

JWM wrote:
<quoted text> Hey Dave this is Willie Minier. I was with the first band that played the Stardust. The Situations. Before I met your Mom and Dad. Before Dick Leanord remodeled it. His dad ran it. It was known as the Cedar Bar. I don't have any pictures but remember seeing some. The outside looked exactly like the Stardust in Las Vegas. The inside had a horse shoe style bar with a split level dance floor. The split level also carried through around the bar. Taller stools below and short chairs above. With steps to the upper dance floor by the bar.
Hi Willie. Very good to hear from you. I recall my parents talking about playing the Stardust. Always fond memories. Wasn't that where Merk and Fritz walked out or quit the band for the first time? My folks aren't hear to ask any longer. Even in their later years their minds were still sharp. Always good stories.
countryrivergal

New Kensington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Jonathan Haner wrote:
I remember the Onion Crock at Woodland mall (or was it Eastbrooke?). It was illuminated only by candles in yellow glass candleholders and they had huge macromé sculptures hanging everywhere, glass owls, and of course the steaming crocks of soup served in little crocks. It was a magical atmosphere for a little boy.
Boy, that restaurant was one of my favorites as a kid. Even today, every bowl of French Onion Soup takes me back to those magical days. I remember it being in Woodland Mall, but I could be wrong. What ever happened to that restaurant?
katylied

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

countryrivergal wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, that restaurant was one of my favorites as a kid. Even today, every bowl of French Onion Soup takes me back to those magical days. I remember it being in Woodland Mall, but I could be wrong. What ever happened to that restaurant?
I loved it too!!! The decor was Awesome!!! And yes... To this day French onion soup reminds me of it too!!
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

cher spice wrote:
Was thata Schensuls on plainfield next to the mr. presedent way back when? Old rocker where did you grow up and what school? Good posts of remembering things back when. If only we could go back for one day huh? I was a N. ender.
Yep. I think there was one somewhere by Eastbrook Mall as well.
I grew up in the 50's and 60's on the West side. Loved Mathews Drug Store soda fountain. You could get a Coke for a nickel. The only way I would want to go back is if I knew then what I know now.
Pam S

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2012

Cooks Hot Dog Drive In on Eastern - 5 kids so we would get a whole bag of hot dogs! We loved goimg there.
Would you believe - it's in Dutton now!
6874 Hammond Ave - they still have great coney dogs.
Floyd Bloss

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2012

Judged:

Who can forget the Burton Capri?
T TAYLOR

Milford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour by Woodland mall. We took my friends there for my birthday party and ordered the "Pig Trough" or something like that which was 1 scoop of every flavor of ice cream. Then on the way out if you'd get a free licorice rope if you could say "Farrell's features fabulous food and fantastic fountain fantasies for frolicking fun-filled festive families!"
T TAYLOR - COMSTOCK PARK

Milford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

Fingers Restaurant down off Northland Drive... as a kid I found it amazing that I could step on the peddle in the bathroom to make the water turn on.
Go Blue

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

T TAYLOR wrote:
Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour by Woodland mall. We took my friends there for my birthday party and ordered the "Pig Trough" or something like that which was 1 scoop of every flavor of ice cream. Then on the way out if you'd get a free licorice rope if you could say "Farrell's features fabulous food and fantastic fountain fantasies for frolicking fun-filled festive families!"
I loved Farrells and really miss it...they used to make people stand up and sing to them on birthdays and stuff...i finished a Pig Trough there and they came to the table and sang, that i made a pig of myself at Ferrells...lol...nothing like it...i think they were mainly out west, tho there was one in Miami....
Go Blue

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

Anyone that knows Grand Haven...I miss Cobb's Chicken...they had the best fried perch and smelt dinners in the world....
InfraRed

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

The DJ wrote:
<quoted text>That's right I workrd at the Alibi from Oct. 1976 to Aug 1979 Who am I
I was a regular at the Alibi from 1977 to 1982. Nobody made Blue Motorcycles like a bartender named Kathy, I think. She added icecream. The Alibi was THE best bar ever, especially Thursday College Nite.
InfraRed

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

katyliedttchaseme wrote:
<quoted text>
I LOVED these restaurants AND The Plainfield Drive-In!!! So neat how it was up on a bluff...
Schensuls! Nobody made fried chicken like that place! And the wall of ominous presidents staring you down as you stood in line. And cherries jubilie.
Parker

Benton Harbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Who can forget parking at Johnson Park and watching turds float by on the Grand River!
Kathy

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Alvin wrote:
<quoted text>I think Rudolph was downstairs at Herps, you would stand and talk to her and she would kick a present down a shoot for you---that was fun!
My sister and I loved the little bunnies that got chased back to bed by their mom.
InfraRed

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. I think there was one somewhere by Eastbrook Mall as well.
I grew up in the 50's and 60's on the West side. Loved Mathews Drug Store soda fountain. You could get a Coke for a nickel. The only way I would want to go back is if I knew then what I know now.
Old Rocker, were you a DJ, bouncer, bartender at the Alibi? Burned the backseat of my mom's Chevy in the parking lot. Literally. Someone threw a Car Crash cup of water on it. Those were the days.
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

InfraRed wrote:
<quoted text>
Old Rocker, were you a DJ, bouncer, bartender at the Alibi? Burned the backseat of my mom's Chevy in the parking lot. Literally. Someone threw a Car Crash cup of water on it. Those were the days.
No. The Alibi opened after I got married. Only went there once I think. I used to go to the Alpine Saloon in the Westgate Bowl a lot in the late 60's, early 70,s to hear the best band of the time, Me & Dem Guys. Stayed till closing at 2:00 AM and made it to work at 6:00 AM...still drunk. It's amazing what you can do when you're young.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
go blue goes black 6 min Oneal 10
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 39 min Oneal 809
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 3 hr Dr X 85
New Year's Rapist Takes Plea Deal 9 hr Jim 11
Fifth Third Bank loses $202 million (Jul '08) Thu mat 217
Local News Women (Apr '09) Jul 30 Red Wood 2,294
What about the Malaysian jetliner? Jul 29 Gville Jim 56
•••
•••