Old things and places we remember fro...
TKMDiggs

Grand Rapids, MI

#704 Aug 6, 2011
Jerry M wrote:
<quoted text>
here are some pictures. not sure if any of the stuff is still around anywhere though.
http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/driveint...
Thanks for posting that. Those pictures are awesome!
barnstormer09

United States

#706 Aug 16, 2011
Amazing wrote:
<quoted text>Coral Gables aka "Point After", it also was the "Grotto" and I believe it was also an "Alibi."
As a former Alibi employee(1981-1982), and a regular at Coral Gables/Point After (P.A. had a seperate room from C.G., but shared a common wall) and Electric Avenue, I can assure you that it was not ever an Alibi; The Alibi was located on Alpine north of 6 mile rd. Now possibly a Hansen's collision repair shop.
Baby boomer

Rochester, NY

#707 Sep 14, 2011
Riding the train around Herpolshimers ceiling. Going downtown to shop before there were any malls. The old airport down South Division. 131 freeway opening up. 28th street east was a dirt road. The roadside chapel on Burton and the East Beltline. Speedrome in Comstock Park.
Baby boomer

Rochester, NY

#708 Sep 14, 2011
Aunt Jemimas pancake house on 131 and 28th st. Aunt Jemima would greet you at the door.
Baby boomer

Rochester, NY

#709 Sep 14, 2011
GR Pete wrote:
Anyone remember the Kalamazoo St. train stop. The trains to Detroit stopped there just east of Kalamazoo. There was a parking lot, anyone recall what else was there, a shed, platform, what did it look like?
Use to live in the red brick apartments there when I was a kid. Took the trin to Detroit from that stop. I remember it being a lean to. Dont know if it had a bench to sit on but the train would stop and pick you up.

“Be Respectful”

Since: Jul 08

Grand Rapids

#710 Sep 16, 2011
Baby boomer wrote:
Riding the train around Herpolshimers ceiling. Going downtown to shop before there were any malls. The old airport down South Division. 131 freeway opening up. 28th street east was a dirt road. The roadside chapel on Burton and the East Beltline. Speedrome in Comstock Park.
I remember the chapel on the East Beltline. It was adorable.
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#711 Sep 18, 2011
Baby boomer wrote:
Aunt Jemimas pancake house on 131 and 28th st. Aunt Jemima would greet you at the door.
I don't think you could do an Aunt Jemima's today. It's not politically correct. Might offend somebody.

Remember Sambo's?
The DJ

Hamden, CT

#712 Sep 21, 2011
barnstormer09 wrote:
<quoted text>
As a former Alibi employee(1981-1982), and a regular at Coral Gables/Point After (P.A. had a seperate room from C.G., but shared a common wall) and Electric Avenue, I can assure you that it was not ever an Alibi; The Alibi was located on Alpine north of 6 mile rd. Now possibly a Hansen's collision repair shop.
That's right I workrd at the Alibi from Oct. 1976 to Aug 1979 Who am I
rainman

Ada, MI

#713 Oct 22, 2011
remember the roller rink i seen robin trower for 3 dollors i think it was 73.
Another Middle Classer

East Lansing, MI

#714 Oct 25, 2011
The DJ wrote:
<quoted text>That's right I workrd at the Alibi from Oct. 1976 to Aug 1979 Who am I
Did they replace the Thunder Chicken? That was out that way too.
old gray mare

Grand Rapids, MI

#715 Oct 25, 2011
Candy Ann's
Wurzburg Christmas windows.
The year they installed lights on 131.
Camping with friends at Holland State Park the summer of the "teen riots", aka, the last year drinking was allowed.(anybody remember the party on the bread truck lot)
Fire Tower Hill and camping out the night BEFORE the raft race.

Being 18yrs.old when they started the 18yr.old drinking age and being 21 when they repealed it. We were the youngest chicks in the bar "twice".

Been there, done that, had it's advantages.
For my kids, not so much.
PS I really do miss Rick Beckett and Darla too.
Jenison Girl

Hudsonville, MI

#716 Oct 26, 2011
What about Casa Castillo on 28th Street? The Satellite restaurant in Jenison by the old Union Bank??
old gray mare

Grand Rapids, MI

#717 Oct 26, 2011
Jenison Girl wrote:
What about Casa Castillo on 28th Street? The Satellite restaurant in Jenison by the old Union Bank??
Speaking of Casa Castillo, I used to work with a woman called Romie. She was a hair dresser and I seem to remember her family owned C.C. She was a sweet woman.
41yrold GRandKENTWOOD guy

Orange, CA

#718 Oct 27, 2011
Born in GR in 1970. Moved to CA in 1992. Some days I really miss the midwest.
Here are some more (maybe some of these were already mentioned, but I just missed them)
Racquet Wizard on K-zoo & 44th
Jose Babushka's on 28th
Arnies Funland
Mr Steak
Putt Putt
Kentwood Village Mall Bowling Alley
Silver Castle
Funway Freeway
Peoples Lounge on Eastern
Limelight on Division (for illicit purchases:)
GR Press annual hole in one contest (I used to enterwith my dad every year)
I'm sure I will think of more. i have to dust the 19 years of cobwebs off my brain.
petoriusrex

Germany

#719 Dec 5, 2011
Alvin wrote:
<quoted text>I believe it was the Four Star Theater, I think in the late 80's or 90's it became a bar called Carnival maybe by the same owners of Shout in Eastown. We, as kids, could go to the Four Star, but my Mom wouldn't let me go to the Burton Theater.
Was called THE GREAT NORTHERN MUSIC HALL (a concert venue) or somesuch in the early 80's, then turned into CARNIVAL. I went and saw Pat Travers there when it was TGNMH.
petoriusrex

Germany

#720 Dec 5, 2011
barnstormer09 wrote:
<quoted text>
At Coral Gables, I recall them stamping your hand if you were too young to drink..and the restroom was just inside the door so you could go in and wash off the stamp. Then I think they tried NOT stamping your hand if you were under age, then you'd just use a fake ID or go to someone with a stamp and have them roll the back of their hand onto the back of yours. Some great live bands at CG. And some great times at EA.
Pitch

Doctors Inlet, FL

#721 Dec 17, 2011
Mr Wiggley wrote:
Paulo's Livin Room??
I got out of the Navy in 1981 and moved back to Kentwood in 1982... Paulo's was the hangout! Kamikaze nights in the huge mug you could buy refills for maybe $3! Chez Ami was full of history! Scalici's (spell check)owned the place, Paulo was the son or nephew? Anyway, that was when life was simple and a Mr Fabulous was a meal!!!
Pitch

Doctors Inlet, FL

#722 Dec 17, 2011
rainman wrote:
remember the roller rink i seen robin trower for 3 dollors i think it was 73.
Bowen's Roller Arena? Now Kentwood Funspot 52nd and Division? They used to have concerts there... You may be talking of another place, but I recall Alice Cooper play at Bowen's in the very early 70's. Dog and Suds, Candy Ann's, Ma and Pa's,(I went to Kelloggsville) The Wolf's Den, Red Lion, Arlans/Arlens?, Yankee Department Store,
Pitch

Doctors Inlet, FL

#723 Dec 18, 2011
Deb wrote:
I remember in the 1960's Worfel's drug store by 36th st and Clyde Park. They had a soda fountain there too and we would walk up after dinner and get a cherry coke or a float. We would also go to the Suburban 5&10. There used to be a beer store next to West Godwin that we called the candy store because they had a whole aisle of candy, we'd stop in after school. Fun times
I remember going the Suburban 5&10 with my cousins, Deb and Bill!!! Uncle Ed owned a trailer park not too far from there! This is cousin Mike!
buster olney

United States

#724 Dec 22, 2011
EmmaRae wrote:
<quoted text>
Also had jump land in front of the Beltline Drive-in. I remember going there for my 10th birthday party.
Anyone remember the Come-Back (It was spelled differently, but topix's thinks it is a bad word) Resturant on 28th St., near Michael.
I can remember my parents taken us kids there. Best burgers in town.
It seemed like they used Brooks catsup on those burgers and they WERE GOOD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 22 min Whatindahellusayin 2,926
News Michigan lawmaker proposes bill banning Sharia Law Jun 18 Muzzie confusion 12
Quote of the Day (Feb '08) Jun 16 Kelly Joanne Cannon 479
The Geek Group Jun 15 Redrider87 3
News Teen shot by police on probation for earlier sh... May 31 About time 1
News 18-year-old shot by Grand Rapids police during ... May 31 No doubt 1
East Grand Rapids Mugshots and Criminal Arrest ... (Sep '16) May 25 east 3

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages