Since: Oct 07

Cloud Nine

#41 Feb 23, 2009
Anyone remember the 4th of July demolition derby at Fort Wyoming at Lamar Park. I remember going to the rodeo there too.

My Mom drove in the derby's for years. We lived on 36th Street near Byron Center and we always had her derby car parked in front of our house.

“Where I came from”

Since: Jan 09

the universe

#42 Feb 23, 2009
How about the old airport between 32nd street and 44th street. Now Roger Chaffee BLVD. They sometimes had to block off 44th street so larger planes could take off.
jim

Belleville, MI

#43 Feb 23, 2009
Beltline drive in, where studio 28 is now (or was)
People would sneak in,.. in the trunk! just to save a buck to get in!
The neon bugg's bunny, and goofy on the sign, what ever happens to that stuff, it'd be classic now!!

Cloud Nine

#44 Feb 23, 2009
Bob338 wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't pour Arthur's still around?
Nope they closed a few years ago. Just drove by there the other night. Last time we went there the service was horrible.

I have been told by many people in the resturant industry that most resturants have a problem with roaches. Never worked in one that didn't.

Yes Bob, we will figure out a way to meet up this summer. Baseball diamonds maybe?

“Totally Amazed!”

Since: Feb 08

Grand Rapids

#45 Feb 23, 2009
I miss the Clock Restaurant on Alpine.
Chelsea Sooner

Lansing, MI

#46 Feb 23, 2009
Bob338 wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't pour Arthur's still around?
Yeah, there's one on Burlingame near 28th St.

“Bob spelled backwards is Bob”

Grandville, MI

#47 Feb 23, 2009
All these memories, does this make us all old?

Cloud Nine

#48 Feb 23, 2009
Chelsea Sooner wrote:
<quoted text>
No longer there. They closed a few years ago. The building and the signs still there, but nobody's home.

“Totally Amazed!”

Since: Feb 08

Grand Rapids

#49 Feb 23, 2009
Bob338 wrote:
Only a little.

“Almost as Sweet as Gunpowder”

Since: Oct 08

United States

#50 Feb 23, 2009
Bob338 wrote:
I dunno..I was born in 1980. The stuff I mentioned is stuff my husband, who was born in 1950, intro'd me to that they've torn down during the 11 years he and I've been together.

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#51 Feb 23, 2009
Chelsea Sooner wrote:
<quoted text>
It's closed now.

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#52 Feb 23, 2009
Bob338 wrote:
LOL, it actually makes us all young!

:)

“Be Respectful”

Since: Jul 08

Grand Rapids

#53 Feb 23, 2009
I miss the old Five and Dime Stores? There is still one on 36th Street. What about the original drug stores with the soda fountains where a cherry coke was a treat?

Mr. Fables and the raft races; ah, the memories
jenn

Kalamazoo, MI

#54 Feb 23, 2009
Bob338 wrote:
My Grandma and cousins lived right behind Rodgers Plaza, as a kid we walked there and hung out, bought icecream on the corner of Clyde Park and 28th. It was so safe then, now the area has it's problems from what I hear.
Your Grandma and Cousin's probably knew my Grandma and my Mom and her siblings. They lived on Canterbury and my mom remembers the drive in and when they were building Rodger's dept. Store. They have a lot of stories from back then. Sounded much simpler than the way things are now.

Grandville, MI

#55 Feb 23, 2009
I remember having two fifths of rum under my front seat, then a cop pulling me over, only to give me a warning. I was only 17, now, that would be an act of terrorism!
Chelsea Sooner

Lansing, MI

#56 Feb 23, 2009
EmmaRae wrote:
<quoted text>
No longer there. They closed a few years ago. The building and the signs still there, but nobody's home.
Guess I didn't eat there last time I drove by then!

“Where I came from”

the universe

#57 Feb 23, 2009
Gail in Wyoming wrote:
I miss the old Five and Dime Stores? There is still one on 36th Street. What about the original drug stores with the soda fountains where a cherry coke was a treat?
Bendel's ( Town and Country) pharmacy and Prose 5 and 10 at Town and Country shopping center the pharmacy had a soda fountain I spent many years hanging out there. Phosphates, hot fudge sundaes, infrared cooked burgers and hot dogs. Now its Florentines.

Grandville, MI

#58 Feb 23, 2009
Shoeless Eluder wrote:
<quoted text>Bendel's ( Town and Country) pharmacy and Prose 5 and 10 at Town and Country shopping center the pharmacy had a soda fountain I spent many years hanging out there. Phosphates, hot fudge sundaes, infrared cooked burgers and hot dogs. Now its Florentines.
I remember Prose 5 and dime in Grandville! At ten years old I stole a pack of lifesavers from there, my mom took me back when she found out and I had to apologize to Mr. Prose. I never stole from anyone again. I remember that evil stare at me from the other side of the counter, a life changing event!
Old Rocker

United States

#59 Feb 23, 2009
The first wet burrito I ever had was at Jerry's Roadhouse in about 1976. It was in the basement of the Swiss Chalet on 28th st. Applebees is there now.

Lakos downtown. Sayfee's on S. Division.

Since: Dec 08

United States

#60 Feb 23, 2009
Isnt it funny how all the dime stores closed up, only to be replaced by dollar stores now.
Gail in Wyoming wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Back in Iraq. WMD's? oil? 55 min Batch 37 Pain Is ... 38
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 4 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 25
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 5 hr Go Blue Forever 1,373
Local News Women (Apr '09) 8 hr Casual Observer 2,303
Bengazi is back 18 hr Gville Jim 88
President O'Blama' Punts Again 18 hr Gville Jim 16
Obama's new approval rating at 38% (Mar '14) 21 hr Phil 87
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••