Shippy's Pharmacy on Division by 44th
Cherry Valley Drive-in (Caledonia)
Palmer Park
Johnson Park
Green Lake
Clock Restaurant
Paradise Pies Restaurant on Plainfield
Pig Pen Restaurant (Alpine/Lamoreaux)
Little Mexico (for the best wet burrito ever)
Swiss Chalet
Holly's Landing
Arlan's
Herposheimers
Beltline Drive-in
Kumbacks
Montgomery Wards in Rogers Plaza
April In The D

AOL

#425 Apr 16, 2009
Does anyone remember "Heap Big Beef"? I think it was around 28th & Madison. I remember getting corn dogs there, and kids got a Indian headress hat. How about the Onion Crock? Best soup ever!

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#426 Apr 16, 2009
I remember the Onion Crock - not the other one though.

My oldest sister, age 62 this year, used to hang around with her high school friends at The Glass Hut on the corner of Fuller and Michigan. It was a hamburger joint.

Since: Sep 08

Saint Charles, IL

#427 Apr 17, 2009
Marti from Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember going to a roller rink called "The Place", but I can't for the life of me, remember where it was! Did they have dances there sometimes with girls dancing in cages up on stage? Or was that Woodland skating rink? A LOOOOONNNNGGG time ago as I am now pushing 58.
I went roller skating with my best friend every Thursday evening at Woodland Skating Rink for many years. I think it was like 50 cents to get in and 50 cents to rent skates! We had such a good time with wonderful memories.
A guy just brought up "The Place" with me last night. He grew up near Michigan and Plymouth. He recalls it being a quonsenet type structure and is where Shapiro Bag is now at the corner of Plymouth and Oak Industrial. There were several posts about this rollerrink earlier. We moved her in 68 and I don't remember it. He thought it could have survived into the early 70s.
Jesusismysavior

United States

#428 Apr 17, 2009
Marti from Michigan wrote:
I remember the Onion Crock - not the other one though.
My oldest sister, age 62 this year, used to hang around with her high school friends at The Glass Hut on the corner of Fuller and Michigan. It was a hamburger joint.
Loved the Onion Crock in North Kent Mall! The Glass Hut had great chili. I keep thinking that they had wet burritos, too. Too bad both are no longer here.

Since: Sep 08

Saint Charles, IL

#429 Apr 17, 2009
Jesusismysavior wrote:
<quoted text>
Loved the Onion Crock in North Kent Mall! The Glass Hut had great chili. I keep thinking that they had wet burritos, too. Too bad both are no longer here.
The Crock I remember was in Eastown, I think where the Asian place is now near the building that exploded.

“Welcome to the Ghetto... ”

Since: Oct 08

WEST MI

#430 Apr 17, 2009
Ole Taco

Top of the Rock

“friends are forever”

Since: Dec 08

Sparta

#431 Apr 17, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
The Crock I remember was in Eastown, I think where the Asian place is now near the building that exploded.
I think they had several around G.R. at one time!

WEST MI

#432 Apr 17, 2009
Any remember Michigan Bulb Company????

WEST MI

#433 Apr 17, 2009
Yum Yum's Cafe on West Leonard near Alpine

Red Lion

Big Melons Coffee Shop

Hill's Dept Store on Alpine

Bun Basket Retail Shop
moma marie

Sparta, MI

#434 Apr 17, 2009
Fluffy Ewe wrote:
What a great blog site this is! Sure was a great stroll down memory lane. Most of my memories have already been mentioned, so I'll simply recap mine, in no particular order:
- PollyAnna Bakery, Michigan near Fuller (my first job) before and during Eberhard - lots of family there)
- Kewpies downtown
- Country Kitchen, 44th and Kalamazoo
- Ramona Amusement Park - I remember the little kids boat ride, the carousel, and watching the demolition of the roller coaster)
- Glass Hut, Michigan and Fuller
- Creagan's Drug Store, Leonard and Fuller
- cherry phosphates
- the "old airport" on Eastern and 32nd/36th
- Buck Barry
- skating pond behind the dairy, Leonard just east of Ball
- Dog 'n' Suds, Michigan and Fuller
- Town Club pop
- beep line
- party lines
- GLendale, CHerry, EMerald phone numbers
- single-digit zip codes
- Good Time Charlies, 28th St.(fantastic Wurlitzer organ and great organist!)
- Niebor's Roller Rink, Plmouth between Michigan and Leonard
- Herpolsheimer's train
- weather ball
- "Michigan Street hill" - you think it's steep now? You should have seen it in the winter back in the 50's!
- more that I'm sure will come to me right after I submit this! LOL
I worked at Polly Anna from 1968 to 1970 with my husband. He ran the donut machine and I caught the donuts on trays and placed them on the racks. I also worked the bread line. Sometimes I worked up front on the line that cut out the bismarks, glazed donuts etc.. Eberhard owned it then and after it closed my husband went to work at the office on Fruit Ridge making all the window signs. Those were some good times. Used to go next door to dog n suds for lunch.:)
Rob

Chicago, IL

#435 Apr 17, 2009
TOP OF THE ROCK
Rob

Chicago, IL

#436 Apr 17, 2009
studwell wrote:
Ole Taco
Top of the Rock
SORRY FOR THE DUPOLICATE
katforchildren

Holland, MI

#437 Apr 17, 2009
Gail in Wyoming wrote:
Department Stores: Atlantic Mills, Arlans, Hills
Reagan's Pharmacy on Michigan and Lafayette
I remember Arlans -- a great place to walk from Janet St. with money from babysitting to spend on what else--Clothes!!
Trash Man

Lansing, MI

#438 Apr 17, 2009
upnorthscott wrote:
How about burger chef at 36th and division?
Burger Chef! Whne you ate in and put all the toppings on your buger yourself. Yum!

“Be Respectful”

Since: Jul 08

Grand Rapids

#439 Apr 17, 2009
studwell wrote:
Yum Yum's Cafe on West Leonard near Alpine
Red Lion
Big Melons Coffee Shop
Hill's Dept Store on Alpine
Bun Basket Retail Shop
There was a Hills on Plainfield, too.
pjdutchville

United States

#440 Apr 17, 2009
Shoeless Eluder wrote:
<quoted text>Its possible that they still dip suckers, but like all things it ain't what it used to be. There were shacks and rickety wooden planks that you would walk out to pull up the nets.Oh yeah good times.
We still dip net in the spring. Used to have an annual party, which we called the "Sucker Dip and Possum Fry." It was basically a beer drinking and wild game cooking party, held on the banks of the Black River in Holland. Got so popular, that we invited the OCSD and HPD there, because they KNEW we were having it, and didn't want to run the risk of having drunk drivers nailed back then, LOL!! We held about 25 or 26 of them, and ended the big party about 1995. Alas, now we only dip net occasionally. Sure was fun!

Anyone else remember the Roaring 20's Pizza Place? Sorry if that was mentioned before. Didn't have time to go over all 400+ posts!
pjdutchville

United States

#441 Apr 17, 2009
Hires Root Beer, and Dr. Pepper bottle caps with 10-2-4 printed on them.
Cop lover

Holland, MI

#442 Apr 17, 2009
Grandmas' kitchen. When I was a child I would always be ready to wave at the little old Lady out front! I thought she was real when she was actually a young gal in a wig lol.
Buckboy

Southfield, MI

#443 Apr 17, 2009
Jesusismysavior wrote:
<quoted text>
They probably had burritos. I remember getting tacos there. I liked Onion Crock & Ole Tacos too.

Tacos were "pretty exotic" food at one time around here. There weren't many chinese places either. I remember the Sun Sai Gui (SP?) right on S Division near Fulton. That might have been the only chinese place in town for a time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sony balony 6 hr kookierecluse 4
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 7 hr Go Blue Forever 1,479
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... 10 hr DrX 54
Put Tolls on Our Interstate Highways 19 hr Really 18
3 reasons Grand Rapids-area Muslims want to ope... Thu tom_ 21
City of Pentecost Christmas program Thu COP OUTREACH 1
The curse of success - america Wed Idea Maker 2
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids