Made in the USA - UPC Code

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Jackson, MI

#1 Jun 19, 2009
Want to buy US made products? BUY USA by watching for "0" at the beginning of the UPC number. We need every boost we can get!

This may be useful to know when grocery shopping also, if it's a concern to you.

690, 691 or 692,… then it is MADE IN CHINA .
00 - 09 … USA & CANADA
30 - 37 … FRANCE
40 - 44 … GERMANY
47 ... Taiwan
49 … JAPAN
50 … UK

BUY USA by watching for "0" at the beginning of the UPC number. We need every boost we can get!
DaBadNeko

United States

#2 Jun 19, 2009
Thank You!

I am going to put that somewhere where it will be forwarded by many...e-mail!

It needs to be done before they start printing our money in China too!

“Some Call Me...Dingo”

Since: Apr 09

Grand Rapids

#3 Jun 19, 2009
Cool,,,thanks, Over50.
VERY WORRIED

Detroit, MI

#4 Jun 19, 2009
I wonder how many of those digital tv converter boxes (paid for by taxpayer dollars via government issued coupons) were made in the USA.
Upyurz

Holland, MI

#5 Jun 19, 2009
VERY WORRIED wrote:
I wonder how many of those digital tv converter boxes (paid for by taxpayer dollars via government issued coupons) were made in the USA.
I don't believe any electronics are made in the USA anymore.

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#6 Jun 19, 2009
A few (very few) electronics are still made in the USA. I have several ham radios made in Tennessee, specifically on Dolly Parton Drive in Sevierville, TN.
Upyurz

Holland, MI

#7 Jun 19, 2009
Over 50 wrote:
Want to buy US made products? BUY USA by watching for "0" at the beginning of the UPC number. We need every boost we can get!
This may be useful to know when grocery shopping also, if it's a concern to you.
00 - 09 … USA & CANADA
30 - 37 … FRANCE
40 - 44 … GERMANY
47 ... Taiwan
49 … JAPAN
50 … UK
BUY USA by watching for "0" at the beginning of the UPC number. We need every boost we can get!
Theory tested;
Printer Toner UPC 125 Made in China
Staples UPC 779 Made in Korea
Paper Clips UPC 181 Made in USA
Plastic Spoon UPC 739 Made in China
Paper Plate UPC 736 Made in USA

Hmmmmm.....
VERY WORRIED

Detroit, MI

#8 Jun 19, 2009
Gentle Taz wrote:
A few (very few) electronics are still made in the USA. I have several ham radios made in Tennessee, specifically on Dolly Parton Drive in Sevierville, TN.
Nice to know that our government decided that those tax dollars for the converters should be sent to other countries instead of having a requirement that the converters be made in the USA. More evidence of waste.

“Go MSU Spartans!”

Kalamazoo, MI

#9 Jun 19, 2009
VERY WORRIED wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to know that our government decided that those tax dollars for the converters should be sent to other countries instead of having a requirement that the converters be made in the USA. More evidence of waste.
The government had nothing to do with determining where the converters were made. The manufacturers decide that. But you can credit governmental policy for much of the reason that many things are manufactured elsewhere now.
Gadfly13

United States

#10 Jun 19, 2009
Sorry, but this isn't really true. For the whole explanation, go to:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barco...

United States

#11 Jun 19, 2009
Over50, Thank you! I am going to print this off & use it. It will come in handy when I can't decide which of the two items I should buy.

Jackson, MI

#12 Jun 19, 2009
Upyurz wrote:
<quoted text>
Theory tested;
Printer Toner UPC 125 Made in China
Staples UPC 779 Made in Korea
Paper Clips UPC 181 Made in USA
Plastic Spoon UPC 739 Made in China
Paper Plate UPC 736 Made in USA
Hmmmmm.....
Are you including the VERY FIRST digit in the UPC code, the numeral that stands alone at the extreme left side?
Upyurz

United States

#13 Jun 22, 2009
Over 50 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you including the VERY FIRST digit in the UPC code, the numeral that stands alone at the extreme left side?
It's almost always a 0, doesn't matter where it was made. Doesn't seem to matter

“BUD/S Class 92”

Since: Sep 08

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

#14 Jun 22, 2009
Over 50 wrote:
00 - 09 … USA & CANADA
30 - 37 … FRANCE
40 - 44 … GERMANY
47 ... Taiwan
49 … JAPAN
50 … UK
Interest, never knew that. Can the label state made in the US but be coded otherwise?
monday

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Jun 22, 2009
Over 50 wrote:
00 - 09 … USA & CANADA
30 - 37 … FRANCE
40 - 44 … GERMANY
47 ... Taiwan
49 … JAPAN
50 … UK
I checked this on several things this weekend and this is not correct. I found all kinds of things made in the USA that did not start with a 0. Heck the box of Kleenex on my desk is one of them, says made in the USA and starts with a 3.
feist from the window

Holland, MI

#16 Jun 22, 2009
i just go buy the lack of quality and the price. i dont need to see the upc labels. made in america simply mean china made packaged in the usa by mexican illegals.

mexicans

Jackson, MI

#17 Jun 22, 2009
Upon further investigation, there are two coding systems . . the US UPC version, which works as mentioned in initial post plus a European type version which does not abide by the US UPC standard . . .

“Be Respectful”

Since: Jul 08

Grand Rapids

#18 Jun 22, 2009
Also, sometimes a retailer will use their own assigned upc's on products that are ordered and shipped to their stores or warehouses. Thanks, Over 50, for the information, but it doesn't hold true in these instances. I really don't think there is a foolproof way of knowing if a product is made in the USA other than reading their labels.

Since: Apr 09

United States

#19 Jun 23, 2009
Need everyone to start a thread on american products, Because I have a hard as hell time, trying to find anything made in the U.S.

Jackson, MI

#20 Jun 23, 2009
I have also read that a company can outsource their product to say, China, and then put their home country as the country of origin, ie, USA, Canada, etc because they are "based" there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Thu Roger 1,101
Crooked Hillary's Tax Return Challenge To Donald Thu Batch 37 Pain Is ... 6
Local News Women (Apr '09) Thu Bronco 2,686
Lets Chat (Mar '08) Aug 23 Gville Jim 40,226
News Kent County Detectives: Teen homicide suspect k... Aug 22 HillJack 1
News Pay your utility bills or lose service (Dec '08) Aug 19 Shimake 160
Days of Yore Aug 18 Gville Jim 2

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance