U.S. Marshals capture Michigan fugitive after 32 years

A woman who walked away from the state correctional facility in Plymouth 32 years ago is now back in custody. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
From Greenville

White Cloud, MI

#1 Apr 29, 2008
I'm glad that she was captured, but imagine the heartbreak and horror that her husband and kids are going through! How awful for them!
JNH

Carp Lake, MI

#2 Apr 29, 2008
They should add some time for prison escape...
The Mitten Sux

Maricopa, AZ

#3 Apr 29, 2008
Let her go she did drugs 30 years ago and is a good citizen now. if you want to put a real criminal in jail, go after the Mayor of Motown
grand rapids

United States

#4 Apr 29, 2008
I THINK THAT IF SHE HASNT BEEN IN NO TROUBLE ALL
OF THESE YEARS THEY SHOULD RECONSIDER HER SENTENCE.
WHAT DID SHE DO BACK THEN GET CAUGHT WITH A JOINT.

“God Save The Queen”

Since: Jan 08

Grand Haven

#5 Apr 29, 2008
"conspiracy to violate drug laws and violation of drug laws"

What kind of silly law is this?

“LET'S GO RED WINGS!!”

Since: Aug 07

America

#6 Apr 29, 2008
The Mitten Sux wrote:
Let her go she did drugs 30 years ago and is a good citizen now. if you want to put a real criminal in jail, go after the Mayor of Motown
For once, I agree with you. She has proven that she is rehabilitated.
Lester

Lansing, MI

#8 Apr 29, 2008
This is a difficult issue though, because if they let her off, does that not give other prisoners incentive to escape and go into hiding with the hopes that their convictions will be set aside? As unfortunate as it may seem, she did break a law and she does need to face the consequesnces.
cdc

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Apr 29, 2008
she was one beauiful women back then!!! its a shame on her little kids
diane

Manistee, MI

#10 Apr 29, 2008
In some ways I agree that she needs to finish her sentencing, but then on the other hand she hasn't gotten into any other trouble, As with most people who go to jail keep getting into trouble over and over. Its not like she killed someone or something super bad. It was over 32 years ago, how old is the woman now ? I guess I am thinking that maybe they should make her do some comunity work.

Since: Mar 08

Rockford, MI

#11 Apr 29, 2008
The Mitten Sux wrote:
Go after Bush and holding us hostage at the gas pumps,this lady been good the last 25 years,Im sure their was alot of hippy,drugs back then inthe 70s ,Sounds like she has been a good wife /mother.Go after the real bad guys, Its not like she murdered somebody or robbed a bank.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Location hidden

#12 Apr 29, 2008
She went 32 years without having problems with the law? I'd say she is more rehabilitated that so many of the repeat offenders, early releasees and parolee's who end up back in the system just weeks or months after they are released.
slg

Stanton, MI

#13 Apr 29, 2008
Lester wrote:
This is a difficult issue though, because if they let her off, does that not give other prisoners incentive to escape and go into hiding with the hopes that their convictions will be set aside? As unfortunate as it may seem, she did break a law and she does need to face the consequesnces.
Agreed.
Jamie B

Lafayette, IN

#14 Apr 29, 2008
this is a good example of how we incarerate people for life for drugs. If she lived a clean life ever since charge her for the escape then let her get on with her life.

“Go Red Wings!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Plainfield Township MI

#15 Apr 29, 2008
I am also on the fence on this one. Yes, she has been a productive member of society. She is not in the same class as the murderers of the lady in Holland that they finally convicted after 30+ years. They had also been leading "rehabilited" lives.

Of course, if we didn't have the stupid drug laws that have proven to be nothing but a waste of time, money and other resources, this woman would have never been in trouble in the first place.

She did break the law by not serving her sentence. Where do we draw the line? Should this be a message to all drug offenders that if you walk away from prison and don't get caught it is okay? This is a tough one.

“Go Red Wings!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Plainfield Township MI

#16 Apr 29, 2008
Yikes, make that rehabilitated! I hate it when I do that!

“God Bless America”

Since: Sep 07

Grand Haven, MI

#17 Apr 29, 2008
Bad Guys, Bad Guys, what you gonna do when they come for you...now if we can work on all of the illegal immigrants and the employers that hire them.
God Bless America.
Miracle

Romeo, MI

#18 Apr 29, 2008
Well she did wrong by escaping, on the other hand, drugs, there are far worse things that someone should be in jail for than drugs. Though people on drugs tend to break the law over and over to feed their habit.

She stayed out of trouble all these years, and now we have children with no mom, and well, that's just nice. Maybe some sort of deal can be made here, restitution instead of prison time? Keep the prison space open for worse offenders.

“God Bless America”

Since: Sep 07

Grand Haven, MI

#19 Apr 29, 2008
tampabay wrote:
<quoted text> Go after Bush and holding us hostage at the gas pumps,this lady been good the last 25 years,Im sure their was alot of hippy,drugs back then inthe 70s ,Sounds like she has been a good wife /mother.Go after the real bad guys, Its not like she murdered somebody or robbed a bank.
When will you liberals understand that it takes much more then one person to manage this country. The Republican Party and even the Democratic Party are not the fault to this problem. Understanding and appreciating the laws of Supply and Demand along with LIMITED RESOURCES would help. Like I keep saying, we are approximately 40% of the worlds population and we use more then 60% of the worlds oil supply. With Alaska pipeline running about 60% of capacity because of supply running short, this problem has better take a priority and soon. Alternative energy and changes in our life style must be accomplished, driving huge vehicles with one person and driving over the speed limit is not going to make it.
This problem is much larger then one person or one political party, we all are too blame, including me.
God Bless America.
Kelli

AOL

#20 Apr 29, 2008
I think her charges should be dropped, she has had no troble with the law in 32 years, the charge sounds rediculous anywhay. Let her go and be with her family. Go catch some real criminals

“God Save The Queen”

Grand Haven

#21 Apr 29, 2008
Well over that way in Grand Rapids its news that an escaped criminal on the run from some obscure drug laws which are 30 years old has been captured.

While here in Grand Haven we have the hit and run driver who killed a pedestrian get 30 days.

West Olive man sentenced in hit-and-run death

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/paid/2915709...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How bad are grand rapids roads 8 hr a commenter 3
Obama and cocaine addicts 9 hr Oneal 10
Watch Racebaiter Oprah Wigout On Guest's Opinion 9 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 52
Back in Iraq. WMD's? oil? 15 hr no_more_dems 100
Holder is stepping down 15 hr no_more_dems 164
Crowd Walks Out On Obama 19 hr Gville Jim 5
CDC Got Threat Of Ebola All Wrong Sun Trouser Cough 17
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match

Grand Rapids Jobs