1 - 20 of 213 Comments Last updated Oct 10, 2010
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

“think for yourself”

Since: Aug 08

GR

#1 Sep 4, 2010
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/09/02/ha...

Hawking says in his book "The Grand Design" that, given the existence of gravity, "the universe can and will create itself from nothing," according to an excerpt published Thursday in The Times of London.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason why there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," he writes in the excerpt.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper [fuse] and set the universe going," he writes.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2 Sep 4, 2010
I was wondering when you were going to post this story.

This is sure to get buy-bull belchers' knickers in a bunch...

“think for yourself”

GR

#3 Sep 4, 2010
Yeah, I was slacking :)

It has already gotten a lot of religious leaders in a bunch, but it is always interesting reading how non-scientists/physicists try to say how one of the greatest minds of our time is wrong.

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#4 Sep 4, 2010
Steven Hawking is just a dried up old sick prune! Some day, he'll find out there is a God who DID create the universe.
snomad

Hudsonville, MI

#5 Sep 4, 2010
As much as I admire Mr. Hawking, many of his theories contain mixed messages and as of late, his "self indulging" prophetic zeal borders pompousness. Yet, as I said, I am still a fan.

From the article:

"if there are many universes, one will have laws of physics like ours -- and in such a universe, something not only can, but must, arise from nothing".

What his definition of “nothing” is, I would like to know.“Nothing” describes only itself... a void of existence. In order for there to "be something" there must have previously "been something"... whatever that may be.“Something” cannot be made from nothing. Be it a universe, a sows ear or a silk purse. Even opinions and theories are derived from something... thought.

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

#6 Sep 4, 2010
All you agnostics and doubters - you'll find out some day. Jesus WILL return for His people, and when that happens, you'll all know it.
Archie Bunker

United States

#7 Sep 4, 2010
Marti from Michigan wrote:
All you agnostics and doubters - you'll find out some day. Jesus WILL return for His people, and when that happens, you'll all know it.
Stifle yourself Lesbo.

“think for yourself”

GR

#8 Sep 4, 2010
snomad wrote:
As much as I admire Mr. Hawking, many of his theories contain mixed messages and as of late, his "self indulging" prophetic zeal borders pompousness. Yet, as I said, I am still a fan.
From the article:
"if there are many universes, one will have laws of physics like ours -- and in such a universe, something not only can, but must, arise from nothing".
What his definition of “nothing” is, I would like to know.“Nothing” describes only itself... a void of existence. In order for there to "be something" there must have previously "been something"... whatever that may be.“Something” cannot be made from nothing. Be it a universe, a sows ear or a silk purse. Even opinions and theories are derived from something... thought.
Nothing isn't nothing anymore...to physicists anyway. They have found in a vaccuum, where one would think 'nothing' would be, it is full of something. The physical forces which control our universe, tiny atoms popping in and out existence, are happening all the time. The nothing that makes up 90% of our universe, weighs extensively more than the matter we see in the universe. Aka, dark matter. The nothing we see that is full of energy. So, the universe as we know it, must have come from nothing.

“think for yourself”

GR

#9 Sep 4, 2010
Marti from Michigan wrote:
Steven Hawking is just a dried up old sick prune! Some day, he'll find out there is a God who DID create the universe.
Hawking is a dried up old sick prune? Even in his illness/disease, which you are mocking, he has done so much with his knowledge, has made many many important discoveries about the universe as we know it, all while trying to overcome his disabilities. How christian of you.

Since: Dec 08

Ottawa County

#10 Sep 4, 2010
Amazarak wrote:
Yeah, I was slacking :)
It has already gotten a lot of religious leaders in a bunch, but it is always interesting reading how non-scientists/physicists try to say how one of the greatest minds of our time is wrong.
Hawkings himself admitted he has been wrong in the past:

"World: Physicist Hawking Concedes Error In Famous Black Hole Theory"
http://www.rferl.org/content/article/1053983....

“think for yourself”

GR

#11 Sep 4, 2010
snomad wrote:
From the article:
Also from the article :

It was the discovery of other solar systems outside our own, in 1992, that undercut a key idea of Newton's -- that our world was so uniquely designed to be comfortable for human life that some divine creator must have been responsible.

But, Hawking argues, if there are untold numbers of planets in the galaxy, it's less remarkable that there's one with conditions for human life.

And, indeed, he argues, any form of intelligent life that evolves anywhere will automatically find that it lives somewhere suitable for it.

----------

To think that life here is so miraculous, all you have to do is look at one small portion of the sky at night. Within that, there are millions of galaxies. To think we are the only galaxy in the right time and place for life to exist, that this place was put here for us humans to enjoy, is well, ludicrous. It gives one a sense of how small we truly are, unimportant.

“think for yourself”

GR

#12 Sep 4, 2010
jvc2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, a scientist admitting their mistakes? Say it isn't so! That is the difference between science and religion. Science is everchanging, growing and evolving. Hubble was wrong in his calculations about how old the universe was, too. But with more knowledge and more equations, and with the help from the Hubble telescope, scientists have been able to fix that problem. When has religion admitted mistakes? Some religions are still fixed upon the notion that the world was created in six days and is 6,000 years old. Some are still adhering to 2,000 year old rituals and beliefs. Where is the room for growth there?

Science is questioned and found wrong all the time. Even by the ones making the calculations. Einstein thought for a minute he knew the definition of time, but then realized he was wrong in that, too. That doesn't mean science is useless, now does it? It is an evergrowing process.

“think for yourself”

GR

#13 Sep 4, 2010
jvc2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists were also wrong in the prediction that the universe would eventually slow down in it's expansion due to gravity. But, due to EVIDENCE, they have realized that it is actually accelerating. Science is proved wrong all the time, by evidence and testing. Imperical evidence. Not out of a book written 2,000 years ago by desert tribesmen.

Ottawa County

#14 Sep 4, 2010
Way above and beyond my point...

“Where I came from”

Since: Jan 09

the universe

#15 Sep 4, 2010
Amazarak wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/ europe/09/02/hawking.god.unive rse/index.html?hpt=C2
Hawking says in his book "The Grand Design" that, given the existence of gravity, "the universe can and will create itself from nothing," according to an excerpt published Thursday in The Times of London.
"Spontaneous creation is the reason why there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," he writes in the excerpt.
"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper [fuse] and set the universe going," he writes.
Something from nothing maybe that gravity is the weight of god? Maybe the nothing to something that happened is god? All options are available. Spontaneous creation why cant god be spontaneous, boom the big bang, let there be light, and I will bet it was pretty dang bright, a spark of life. The spirit of life through the universe God.

“think for yourself”

GR

#16 Sep 4, 2010
jvc2 wrote:
Way above and beyond my point...
Then what was it? To try and discredit him on this? If he can admit that he has made a mistake in his calculations, that is something to admire. He doesn't hold it to revelation.

This idea that the universe was created from nothing is not just from him, but many cosmologists working in the same field. The thing is, the god they are talking about is not even the abrahamic god in the bible. It is the term used for the unknown, the forces that govern the universe, the god of gaps as they put it.

“think for yourself”

GR

#17 Sep 4, 2010
Shoeless Eluder wrote:
<quoted text>Something from nothing maybe that gravity is the weight of god? Maybe the nothing to something that happened is god? All options are available. Spontaneous creation why cant god be spontaneous, boom the big bang, let there be light, and I will bet it was pretty dang bright, a spark of life. The spirit of life through the universe God.
I see where you are getting at, but you are attributing a personality to the laws of physics. Just as the religious have put a personality to the sun.

“Where I came from”

Since: Jan 09

the universe

#18 Sep 4, 2010
Amazarak wrote:
<quoted text>
I see where you are getting at, but you are attributing a personality to the laws of physics. Just as the religious have put a personality to the sun.
Yep, God the universes greatest physics professor, and a fairly good juggler.

“think for yourself”

GR

#19 Sep 4, 2010
Shoeless Eluder wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, God the universes greatest physics professor, and a fairly good juggler.
As much as I disagree that the laws of physics have some sort of personality, that gravity and atoms knowingly sparked the creation into existence, it is less annoying, perhaps, than the thought that some dude in the sky created all we know in six days.

Ottawa County

#20 Sep 4, 2010
Amazarak wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what was it? To try and discredit him on this? If he can admit that he has made a mistake in his calculations, that is something to admire. He doesn't hold it to revelation.
This idea that the universe was created from nothing is not just from him, but many cosmologists working in the same field. The thing is, the god they are talking about is not even the abrahamic god in the bible. It is the term used for the unknown, the forces that govern the universe, the god of gaps as they put it.
My point is in reference to your statement:

"but it is always interesting reading how non-scientists/physicists try to say how one of the greatest minds of our time is wrong."

One of the greatest minds in the world has admitted that he has been wrong in the past, not just some non-scientist/physicist.

Logically, if he's been wrong once, it could happen again. If he was never wrong, that would make him a god.

Are you angry, Amazarak?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A long-time cafe in the East Hills are may close 7 hr Dominic 1
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 19 hr Go Blue Forever 1,328
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 23 hr Phil 13
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Sat kookierecluse 936
Meet The Press Sat Go Blue Forever 3
why war with isis? Fri Colonel Sanders 15
Plafkin Brothers-McDonalds, Home of the Famous ... (Jun '13) Fri Colonel Sanders 9
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info