WZZM13 - Meijer re-evaluating managem...

WZZM13 - Meijer re-evaluating management staff at 179 stores

There are 73 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Jul 11, 2007, titled WZZM13 - Meijer re-evaluating management staff at 179 stores. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Changes are on the way at Meijer Stores across the companies 5 state region. Meijer announced Wednesday it will realign it's leadership structure at 179 stores.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Lucy

Grandville, MI

#62 Aug 13, 2007
I too have witnessed rude people ahead of me - not just at Meijer!- and it's all I can do not to stomp on their heels! A little kindness and courtesy go a long, long way!
Frustrated in Indy

Greenwood, IN

#63 Aug 15, 2007
Perhaps an end-around is in order.Contact the civic leaders in your communities & Chambers-of Commerce whom rub-shoulders with Meijer upper management.Have them confront ask "what is going on & are they planning to fail?
I'm an older hardworking Part-time team member of 8+ years. Fellow employees have lost the will to work. We have more product to handle than ever before , less staff to display it ,and nobody to clean the fixtures.
Lots of times product is in-store, but not on the floor (for lack of help). Our guests are disgusted - its a wonder they comeback

“Crazy about History (Get it?)!”

Since: Jun 07

Greenwood, Indiana

#64 Aug 15, 2007
Frustrated in Indy wrote:
Perhaps an end-around is in order.Contact the civic leaders in your communities & Chambers-of Commerce whom rub-shoulders with Meijer upper management.Have them confront ask "what is going on & are they planning to fail?
I'm an older hardworking Part-time team member of 8+ years. Fellow employees have lost the will to work. We have more product to handle than ever before , less staff to display it ,and nobody to clean the fixtures.
Lots of times product is in-store, but not on the floor (for lack of help). Our guests are disgusted - its a wonder they comeback
I had the same problem at the Greenwood store where I worked (part of the problem is the pathetic Market Director in Indianapolis, Mike Frattini, who allows this to happen and yet does not care at all).

Check out: www.myspace.com/meijer_truth

I have provided the addresses for Meijer President (Mark Murray) and Southern Region Group Vice President (Rob Beck). Write them (anonymously since you still work there) and let them know what is going on. Take pictures (check out mine if you can -- you have to have a MySpace account -- it got things taken care of while I was there).

I sent letters to Mr. Murray and Mr. Beck (anonymously when I worked there), and things got done. Mike Frattini even started asking about me to my Lines Leader about whether I would be willing to embarrass the company. I sure would, I told my boss, and would try and continue to do so.

Now they need to start hearing from their employees. Their little survey they did a few months told them absolutely nothing, and I am sure they did not listen to it at all.

Tell your fellow co-workers who are also disgruntled to write Murray and Beck. Have them write Mike Frattini also (He is at Store 129 in Indy). Tell them there are not enough people to get the job done. There is too much stock to go out and too few people to get it done.

I encourage anyone and everyone to do this -- Meijer needs to be held accountable for what they are doing to their loyal workers. We already know what happens if you dedicate so many years to Meijer's service -- you are let go in the latest purges.
Lucy

Grandville, MI

#65 Aug 15, 2007
I would love to stop shopping at Walmart. LOVE to. Unfortunately, with the economy being what it is, gas going up, milk going up, groceries - don't even get me started - I can't afford NOT to shop at Walmart! And I'm not entirely sure, but I do believe Walmart sells American-made products as well.
Disgruntled at Meijer

Erlanger, KY

#66 Sep 9, 2007
Histerical has many valid points in his entries (yes I know it is a 'he' because I know who 'he' is). He points out many different flaws, but could fill many more pages with even more flaws at Meijer. The guy knows what he is talking about, but I doubt that writing Mark Murray and Rob Beck, etc. will do anyone any good. These men, and its not just them because the BS starts at the store level, will shrug it off as just another person letting off steam. Histerical is correct in informing anyone who works for Meijer, and would decide to write about issues, to do so anonymously, because it will come back to hurt you. I have seen it happen many times in my nearly 8 years with the company. They act as though they are blind to the issues that are really happening. I cannot beleive that people continue to shop at Meijer. It is the same thing evryday when I go in to work. I take complaints (which are usually always justified) about the shelves being empty, there not being enough checkouts open, nobody to help throughout the store, etc. I don't know what to tell people anymore, other than to hand out corprate's phone number. I refuse to tell people that we are just understaffed, because that is bullcrap. At my store, yes we are technically 'understaffed,' but we have used more labor hours than corporate has given us. If you get a chance to checkout some of the pictures on Histerical's website, you will see the effects of cutting all of the help out of the stores. We can barely get enough product on the shelf to stay in business, so what do you think happens to sanitation and other 'behind the scenes' issues? I feel for the Team Leaders that are older and have (should say had) worked for the company for years. The majority of people let go were older, made more, and had been with the company longer. The restructure had nothing to do with performance. By the way, Histerical, since your admiration for Mike Frattini is so high, you'll love this...he is now mandating that each store in the Indy market pull one of their cashiers off the schedule and make them stnad near the entrance to bug people about signing up for the Meijer credit card, and cannot be pulled to run a checkout under any circumstances, no matter how backed up we are! We don't have enough hours to have enough people to have product on the shelves, or enough checkouts open, but we can use 56 hours per week for someone to stand at the entrance trying to get people to sign up for a high interest credit card! I'll be happy to tell them that I have found a way for them to save more money, its called my 2 weeks notice! Now I can go get established with a business that really does treat its employees with "Dignity and Respect" and not need to worry about the next intelligent move Meijer will make.
MANAGER X

Springfield, IL

#67 Mar 26, 2008
I'M A MANAGER AT THE MEIJER STORE IN ILLINOIS. I JUST WANT TO TELL YOU PEOPLE THAT MEIJER IS GOING DOWN HILL LIKE SO MANY OF YOU HAVE STATED. IF YOU ASKED ME 8 YEARS AGO HOW I LIKE WORKING FOR MEIJER, I WOULD HAVE TOLD YOU, I LOVE IT! NOW, I WORK FOR MY DAYS OFF.
WE ARE OVER WORKED, AND UNDERSTAFFED DUE TO THE CUTS IN THE STORE. WE HAD A BROADCAST STATING THE CUTS OF MANAGEMENT IS A MUST FOR THE ROAD AHEAD. THAT WHEN WE CUT MANAGEMENT OUT, WE CAN HIRE MORE TEAM MEMBERS TO TAKE THEIR PLACE. GUESS WHAT,NEVER HAPPENED.
FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE PISSED AT MEIJER FOR THE WRONG DOING PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT OUT ON LOWER MANAGEMENT OR EMPLOYEES. TAKE IT OUT ON THE UPPER MANAGERS,(LINES LEADERS) STORE DIRECTORS, AND THE DISTRICT SUPERVISORS. THEY ARE THE ONES THAT ARE MAKING THE STUPID CALLS THAT WE LOWER MANAGERS HAVE TO FOLLOW OR LOSE OUR JOBS.
I FEEL YOUR PAIN AND PRAY THIS COMPANY TURNS IT'S SELF AROUND. BUT I FEEL THAT IT'S TOO LATE. WE HAVE ALREADY CRASHED AND BURNED AND corporate DIDN'T EVEN SEE IT.
Vickie Wimmer

Gurnee, IL

#68 Mar 30, 2008
I'll tell you, there are two absolute jerks who work in upper management (store directors) at the Meijer store in Springfield, and they act like they own the place. Their name tags say, "Craig" and "Les". One is really fat and he's sitting down, eating, every time I've seen him. They are the rudest,laziest individuals I've ever met. If you ask one of them for help, they pass you along to someone else because they, as upper management, are too good to be bothered with you! This store definitely needs a lot less upper management and more regular employees who don't think they are too good to wait on the general public.. I even heard one of them call another employee a derrogative name. This should never be tolerated by any person in management, or in general. I expect that this Meijer store has a good turnover in employees because of the way they are treated by their bosses. What a shame.
Mr. Fred Meijer, you need to go to your Springfield Illinois store and see what's happening there. Don't be taken in by two-faced, back stabbing jerks who are taking your store down to the gutter. I use to shop at Meijer, and spent major bucks there, but haven't for some time now. I didn't like the employee abuse I saw coming from upper management. No wonder your stores are getting such bad reviews. I think you have a lot of unhappy employees.
I have never worked in retail and never will! Nor will I ever shop at Meijer in the future.
Sam the Wal-Mart Man

Madison, WI

#69 Mar 30, 2008
My evil plan is working.
Won't be long before I make an offer to buy out.
carol

AOL

#70 Apr 13, 2008
the leaders in the port huron [north] store need to be trained in how to work with people not bulley them by threating there jobs. people cannot work in these conditions. your management people from top to bottom needs good labor relations training not try to get rid of the employes that gets higher pay becausr of longer employment. thrse managers come in there new areas and are nice to the people until they know the job then they atart being stupid and turn against the employes that trusted them. the new supervisor trys to look strong at the meetings but the employes are not that stupid. when one employe leaves the company looses big time, the word gets around fast.when employs are working under preasure the guest pick this up. profits go down and another wal marts starts up.
carol

AOL

#71 Apr 13, 2008
some times the company needs th outside the conpany becausr the old supervisors are teaining them.
carol

AOL

#72 Apr 30, 2008
NOT A GOOD PLACE TO SHOP WHEN MANANGER SCREAMS AT EMPLOYEES IN FRONT OF SHOPERS. I WONT GO BACK///// IN PORT HURON STORE.
JPC

North Aurora, IL

#73 Feb 7, 2014
Former Prepared foods Team Leader. Impossible goals under impossible circumstances. Trying to run 2 depts is impossible and these depts are the hardest to operate. Upper mgmt even recognized that the job was impossible, but still expected perfection.
Deli was always understaffed and customers would regularly leave before being served. Absolutely no training for management and upper mgmt expected Deli and Bakery to be in 100% order, even though I had only been on the job for 3 days. The laughable part is that these depts ran without a TL for almost a year and had gone through at least 4 TL's in 3 years before I was hired, yet I was supposed to fix everything instantly. There were too many projects that didn't contribute to sales at all and wasted more time than anything.
Very poor employee morale. They never had enough help and were always being told to do more. Most just gave up and work very hard at not working. Consequently there is no respect for TL's from TM's. Many are determined to sabotage every new TL and have successfully help eliminate most of the 8 or 9 TL's that the store has employed in only 4 years! Upper management is quick to believe any lie they are told by TM's.
Having to manage 2 depts is a joke with 28 mostly uncooperative employees, especially when there was absolutely no training in any store systems or company protocol and no one in the store who could or would help with teaching them.
Advice to Senior Management Pay closer attention to dept managers and their needs. Train your new employees, so they understand how to perform their jobs. I had a number of worthless employees who I tried to get out of my dept, but was turned down every time. These people are still at the store and still doing a poor job!
Noneya

Toledo, OH

#74 Nov 16, 2016
Adam Geldersma wrote:
When I was little, which probably isn't that long ago compared to most people here, we shopped at Meijers every week. I couldn't understand why it was so busy though, because other then groceries everything was considerably more expensive then at other common neighborhood stores.

As for Walmart, I really wish people would stop shopping there. Every time you buy something from Walmart, you're hurting the country. Almost every single thing Walmart stores stock are extremely cheap Chinese products. It costs a little more to get American products, if you can find them, but it will go back into your pocket eventually.
Are you that stupid? Every retail sells cheap things.. Meijer has the same stuff as walmart. So do not even say they only sell cheap stuff. Other stores sell chcheastuff too

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 3 hr Guest 3,022
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Sep 17 Twopondview 1,186
White women are the biggest hypocrites. Sep 14 Real Deal 4
White males are weak. Sep 14 Real Deal 4
Adult theater Cina-Mini two (Mar '13) Sep 13 Marlene K 17
topless maid in gr (Jul '08) Sep 10 Marlene K 33
News Church shooting victim's girlfriend speaks (Mar '08) Sep 6 Family 132

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages