WZZM13 - Meijer re-evaluating management staff at 179 stores

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

Changes are on the way at Meijer Stores across the companies 5 state region. Meijer announced Wednesday it will realign it's leadership structure at 179 stores.
Comments
1 - 20 of 72 Comments Last updated Feb 7, 2014
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Former Shopper

Beachwood, OH

#1 Jul 11, 2007
Meijer has never restructured with minimal effect to its most important asset; their people. Time and time again, Meijer sacrifices quality, hard working people for no reason other than to improve the "bottom line". As a privately held company, Meijer does not have to make the numbers look good for its stock holders. Perhaps this is another attempt at financially posturing for a sell out to a company such as Wal-mart.

Labor cutting positively effects profits, but negatively impacts not only store morale, but customer service. At some point hopefully, Meijer will realize their obvious lack of customer service will cause shoppers to seek other places to spend money. Gentleman; Wake up and smell the Meijer brand coffee!
Michigan Sux

Gilbert, AZ

#2 Jul 11, 2007
shop at walmart
Hmmm

Grand Haven, MI

#3 Jul 11, 2007
I think they should realign their management team, and sexual fraternization should be reprimanded to both the team member and the management member. Look into it - it happens A LOT at Meijer - especially in Holland.

“Secure our borders!!!”

Since: Jun 07

Muskegon, MI

#4 Jul 11, 2007
I use to shop Meijer . Then a fellow could not find what he needed and could never get a friendly worker to help him out so to heck with Meijers . I use to spend a lot of $$$ week there . Now I spend it elsewhere . Not Wal-Mart . I hate Wal-Mart . Seems like 70% of those there speak something other than English .
Belle

Sterling Heights, MI

#5 Jul 11, 2007
To bad "The Family" doesn't have a smart enough person to run this company, instead of continuing to hire outsides, that don't have a clue!

What a lot of bull stating that they need to get the best person for the job! This needs to do this company wide?

How about the first person who should go is the spokesperson who compared it to wide screen TV's and Wine? What a stupid statement that one.

Well if you are a person with years of service, over 50, vacation, higher pay scale, and use the medical benefits, they will be targeted! Sure they will pepper in a few none performers, young people, ethnic, so they don't get sued!

Service level at Meijer has gone down hill and there is no end in sight.

When will it stop Meijer? When will the company sell out?

Sure Meijer will try to get into a good light by donating money someplace...
Bob

Sterling Heights, MI

#6 Jul 11, 2007
How many restructures is this Meijer? Include the ones that did not make the newspaper or TV reports. Surely not the few hundred people who lost their jobs like Meijer would like everyone to believe. Started in 2000 and still don't have it right, and it is still happening.

What does that say about this supposedly great company?

What a shame that more people who supported Meijer will be out of a job and that will mean less shoppers at Meijer.
Lisa

Amelia Court House, VA

#7 Jul 11, 2007
I couldn't guess what this is all about. But, I still support Meijer because it's locally owned and they try very hard to stock products from local producers and growers. Competition is getting tough, and times in Michigan are even tougher. They can't continue with the status quo indefinitely.

Besides, I hate WalMart, too.

I do agree, however, that the company isn't run as well as it was when Fred was in charge. He was the best. We miss you, Fred!
Ryan

Detroit, MI

#8 Jul 11, 2007
I worked with Meijer for over 2 years. I have seen their management practices first hand and let me tell you... it's the equivalent to "too many chiefs... too few indians"

I worked in the service department and at any given work day... I had a minimum of 2 managers and some days I had as many as 6. Regardless of the number of people working. I can't tell you how many times 3 of them would just be standing there watching. They need to get rid of a few managers at their stores. It would perhaps lower prices since they pay them 30,000+/year
Joan

Otsego, MI

#9 Jul 11, 2007
This change is crap. Just when you think Meijer is moving up is takes three steps back.
Kevin

South Ozone Park, NY

#10 Jul 11, 2007
I really enjoyed shopping at meijers when it opened in mt. pleasant. But they have changed the store around 3 different times and there prices go nowhere but up. I see way to many chiefs with there heads up there rears and don't recognize the customer or sometimes don't even speak. I haven't been in meijers in at least months. I don't really shop much at walmart either, I shop at mostly the mom and pop shops like the old days.
Meijer Manager

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Jul 11, 2007
Miejer is reporting record sales increases and tomorrow I may lose my job. Regardless of what the press release says there will be layoffs. I can not understand how they can consider more Michigan job losses to have an insignificant impact on our community. Tomorrow I may not be able to afford to shop at Meijer. If you are in the stores shopping tomorrow don't mind the somber moods, and distracted team members and please be kind to the team members. What will take place tomorrow will have an effect on everyone working in those stores. Best Wishes and please send us good thoughts and prayers.
Bob

Sterling Heights, MI

#12 Jul 11, 2007
Lisa wrote:
I couldn't guess what this is all about. But, I still support Meijer because it's locally owned and they try very hard to stock products from local producers and growers. Competition is getting tough, and times in Michigan are even tougher. They can't continue with the status quo indefinitely.
Besides, I hate WalMart, too.
I do agree, however, that the company isn't run as well as it was when Fred was in charge. He was the best. We miss you, Fred!
The status quo at Meijer is to continually restructure. They are just as bad as WalMart. Meijer use to be a leader, now they are a follower, and copy Walmart.

The majority of the stores are out of state, so if they are using the Michigan economy is a convenient excuse.

The poor corporate management is to blame. They keep restructuring because nothing that has been done has worked. When a company completely eliminates the backbone of the company, that is what they get.
Sally

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Jul 11, 2007
We shop at Meijers because it is the best ALTERNATIVE to the Spartan stores in our area and Walmart. However, I have noticed the prices are creeping up on the products so that those lower prices that got us there in the first place, while still lower, aren't as low as they used to be. My major complaint is the lack of open checkouts. Our store has at least 30, but on a good night there might be 3 open. If you want to quick get something from the toiletries aisle, they have a door that is convenient, but you still need to treck to the other side of the store to pay since they tend to keep the registers at that side of the store closed. I remember the old slogan of "you're next in line". Obviously, they can not use that any more since usually we are 4th or 5th in line. A real good time when you have ice cream or popsicles in your cart!

And...how about the lack of bottle/can return machines?????
Outside observation

United States

#14 Jul 12, 2007
I've been to a few meetings at Meijer and have a fair idea of how they operate from the purchasing side. Price low, quality low, lifespan low. They are an SOB to sell to and try and make a buck. I've walked through their stores countless times to see huddles of employees standing around talking about everything but work. Maybe paying more to those that "clean instead of lean" would help the customer service and bottom line.

Seems as though they may want to take a few pointers from Spartan and try some brand marketing to independents. Maybe there's a reason Spartan was around $4 a share five or six years ago and now pushing high $20's.
Albaby

Ionia, MI

#15 Jul 12, 2007
Most companies need a management shakeup from time to time. Many managers get complacent or too chummy with their staff to be effective. There are often people on the staff who can do better and should be given the opportunity. Management is usually an at-will position and not a guaranteed lifetime position. They should have known going in that they would be evaluated on their performance, not their senority.
Grammer Police

Grand Rapids, MI

#16 Jul 12, 2007
The sentence should read, "across the company's five state region" not "the companies five state region." It's possessive, not plural. How did that get through two different editors?
Mike

Grand Blanc, MI

#17 Jul 12, 2007
It's the same story. Too many cooks. Meijer doesn't care about the employees or the customers - ever since Fred gave up control they are in it for the money, clear and simple. Management will do whatever they want to get more money into their pockets, sacrificing customer service, integrity, and loyalty.

I know for a fact that the store manager at the Plainfield store had some of the animals in the pets department *thrown in the trash* because she didn't like them.

The regular employees try, but it's worthless because they are treated like crap. The top people need to be let go.
Diane

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 Jul 12, 2007
Albaby wrote:
Most companies need a management shakeup from time to time. Many managers get complacent or too chummy with their staff to be effective. There are often people on the staff who can do better and should be given the opportunity. Management is usually an at-will position and not a guaranteed lifetime position. They should have known going in that they would be evaluated on their performance, not their senority.
Well said. As for people complaining that Meijer is raising prices on goods, have you bothered to look at other stores? They are raising prices too. EVERYTHING is more expensive nowadays. High gas prices have helped lead the way to higher prices on everything else. It is sad that people may lose their jobs but I also agree that Meijer has way too many team leaders that I never see jump in and help customers, but they sure are eager to try to dump you off to a regular associate if you need something (not all managers but several).
frustrated shopper

Grant, MI

#19 Jul 12, 2007
It makes no sense to continue restructuring leadership at Meijer. It makes you wonder about the "senior" leadership that they employ. How many attempts does it take to finally get "the right people in the right job?" Senior leadership has the ability to make leadership moves at any time for any reason. Why the elimination? They say that most will be offered other positions. The key word is most. How is that determined? Whether or not a store director or market director "like" you? It seems to have nothing to do with performance anymore, because after the cuts a few years back, many of the more experienced and dedicated team leaders were "here today, gone tomorrow." Meijer is on the losing path and these types of continuous cuts will cost them their business, although,it looks as though they are preparing themselves to a "takeover". I rarely shop there since the last huge cuts. I stop for produce only and in the summer when the farmers markets are open, I shop there for produce!
Adam Geldersma

United States

#20 Jul 12, 2007
When I was little, which probably isn't that long ago compared to most people here, we shopped at Meijers every week. I couldn't understand why it was so busy though, because other then groceries everything was considerably more expensive then at other common neighborhood stores.

As for Walmart, I really wish people would stop shopping there. Every time you buy something from Walmart, you're hurting the country. Almost every single thing Walmart stores stock are extremely cheap Chinese products. It costs a little more to get American products, if you can find them, but it will go back into your pocket eventually.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Meet The Press 2 hr Go Blue Forever 3
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 10 hr a commenter 935
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 12 hr Phil 10
why war with isis? 21 hr Colonel Sanders 15
Plafkin Brothers-McDonalds, Home of the Famous ... (Jun '13) 21 hr Colonel Sanders 9
The cheerleaders with their tight skirts are v... Aug 28 Phil 1
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Aug 28 Buffalo Bull 1,326
•••
•••
Grand Rapids Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search