Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery

Jun 19, 2014 Full story: WOODTV.com 789

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich Today is June 19th, but it's more than that. It is a date that is celebrated as the day when enslavement ended in America back in 1865 and is also known as Juneteenth.

Full Story
pipedream

Flint, MI

#152 Jul 2, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
A little downturn, just for you......
Fast food industry workers don't earn enough income to save any so the fact the stock market more than doubling in value over the last 6 years is of no consequence to Wiggley or low information, unskilled minimum wage types unqualified for employment that pays a living wage and other benefits. They'd rather sit around on Topix forums complaining and blaming a black man for their miserable lives.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#153 Jul 2, 2014
A major reason for the market's success is three-fold.....Fed's stimulus really did it's jobs....American's have limited productive investments.....and the main reason is Corporations are as fat as hell right now.....
Really

Grand Rapids, MI

#154 Jul 3, 2014
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
USA Today...
Stocks ended practically flat Wednesday, though the Dow and S&P 500 notched small gains and set new closing highs in the process.
But Dow 17,000? Wasn't to be. The blue-chip index is still looking to top the 17,000 mark for the first time ever.
You won't win Wiggley. Blue is excited as all get out that the Dow is almost at another record level and it is all because Obama has done wonderful things while "fundamentally transforming America". Odd how the Dow wasn't "important" when the records were set while GW was President, but it is causing giddiness today. All the new records mean is that when the crash comes, and it is coming according to every economist I read and hear, it will be just that much greater a fall and will look that much more disastrous. But, I guess I better be careful less I be called a "racist" and "unamerican" because I see what history has done in the past when the economy is artificially inflated by economic policy that is deliberately set to cause failure.
Really

Grand Rapids, MI

#155 Jul 3, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
A little downturn, just for you......
And a big downturn is coming if you have the capability to look at history and understand what caused the previous downturns. Of course, I realize it was all the fault of every Republican who has ever held office. SMH
Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

#156 Jul 3, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
A major reason for the market's success is three-fold.....Fed's stimulus really did it's jobs....American's have limited productive investments.....and the main reason is Corporations are as fat as hell right now.....
LOL ... "the stimulus really did it's jobs!!" ...

That trillion dollar hijack of taxpayers' money, along with 6 more years worth of inept legislation and snake oil salesmanship have sunk this celebrity-in-chief's approval ratings to an all-time low, and resulted in nothing less than the slowest recovery in American history! Fortunately, he, and his ridiculously delusional cult-like followers are about to become as irrelevant as Nipsey Russell.

The great progressive "revolution" has fizzled into the same sewer as it's radicalized astroturf experiment OWS filth squad.

The Fed sure has "done it's jobs" .... LOL
Ron

United States

#157 Jul 3, 2014
kookierecluse wrote:
<quoted text>Certainly and clearly not as ornery as you. But again, don't blame everyone else for the fact you were a beaten child. The only "love" you were given was in the form of your dads penis. God put people like you on this Earth to make people like me feel good about myself. So in a way I should thank you! But I won't, cuz you're a walking cum dumpster.
Very well said. I didn't know all that about Jason but it makes a lot of sense now. He does have a magical ability of holding mass amounts fluids. This is the reason why all the guys at the Rainbow Club love him so much. They don't care how pathetic he is.

Location hidden

#158 Jul 3, 2014
Oneal wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... "the stimulus really did it's jobs!!" ...
That trillion dollar hijack of taxpayers' money, along with 6 more years worth of inept legislation and snake oil salesmanship have sunk this celebrity-in-chief's approval ratings to an all-time low, and resulted in nothing less than the slowest recovery in American history! Fortunately, he, and his ridiculously delusional cult-like followers are about to become as irrelevant as Nipsey Russell.
The great progressive "revolution" has fizzled into the same sewer as it's radicalized astroturf experiment OWS filth squad.
The Fed sure has "done it's jobs" .... LOL
U.S. ECONOMY ADD'S 288,000 JOBS IN JUNE, UNEMPLOYMENT RATE FALLS TO 6.1%.....USA Today .(7-3-14).....Economy has added 200,000 jobs a month, for past 5 months......First such stretch since September 1999 to January 2000......
FIan

Honolulu, HI

#159 Jul 3, 2014
JUNETEENTH. On June 19 ("Juneteenth"), 1865, Union general Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston and issued General Order Number 3, which read in part, "The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor." The tidings of freedom reached the approximately 250,000 slaves in Texas gradually as individual plantation owners informed their bondsmen over the months following the end of the war. The news elicited an array of personal celebrations, some of which have been described in The Slave Narratives of Texas (1974). The first broader celebrations of Juneteenth were used as political rallies and to teach freed African American about their voting rights. Within a short time, however, Juneteenth was marked by festivities throughout the state, some of which were organized by official Juneteenth committees.
pipedream

Flint, MI

#160 Jul 3, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> U.S. ECONOMY ADD'S 288,000 JOBS IN JUNE, UNEMPLOYMENT RATE FALLS TO 6.1%.....USA Today .(7-3-14).....Economy has added 200,000 jobs a month, for past 5 months......First such stretch since September 1999 to January 2000......
Onasty isn't impressed by those numbers. They don't affect his trailer park or his part time minimum wage job at McDs.
Really

Grand Rapids, MI

#161 Jul 3, 2014
Actually, the numbers ARE impressive, UNTIL one looks into the actual numbers at the BLS website. I would not expect Blue or pippy to look into the actual numbers because that just might make their heads explode and that would make a gigantic mess!

Location hidden

#162 Jul 3, 2014
July will mark 52 straight months of Private Sector Job Growth.......what approval numbers?....lol.....

Location hidden

#163 Jul 3, 2014
Really wrote:
Actually, the numbers ARE impressive, UNTIL one looks into the actual numbers at the BLS website. I would not expect Blue or pippy to look into the actual numbers because that just might make their heads explode and that would make a gigantic mess!
..Is it really that hard to admit, when you're wrong? Do you recall where we were in 2008?
Phil

Oxford, MI

#164 Jul 3, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>..Is it really that hard to admit, when you're wrong? Do you recall where we were in 2008?
2008? That's the year they hired you at the Rainbow Club. It's also the same year you created your stage name "poledancer". If I'm not mistaken 2008 is also the year you broke the record at the club for the most guys serviced in one month.
Phil

Oxford, MI

#165 Jul 3, 2014
kookierecluse wrote:
<quoted text>Certainly and clearly not as ornery as you. But again, don't blame everyone else for the fact you were a beaten child. The only "love" you were given was in the form of your dads penis. God put people like you on this Earth to make people like me feel good about myself. So in a way I should thank you! But I won't, cuz you're a walking cum dumpster.
Very good comment!!
Phil

Oxford, MI

#166 Jul 3, 2014
Ron wrote:
<quoted text>Very well said. I didn't know all that about Jason but it makes a lot of sense now. He does have a magical ability of holding mass amounts fluids. This is the reason why all the guys at the Rainbow Club love him so much. They don't care how pathetic he is.
Yes the customers are very happy with his techniques.
Really

Grand Rapids, MI

#168 Jul 3, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>..Is it really that hard to admit, when you're wrong? Do you recall where we were in 2008?
why am I wrong? did you look inside the numbers? I doubt it or you just might take your rose colored glasses off and be ticked off. Then again, since it doesn't affect you, perhaps you don't care that teenage unemployment is now at 21% and more than 8,000,000 Americans have given up looking for work?? Nah, you don't care about that, all you care about is that Obama is fundamentally transforming America. Perhaps you will finally be unhappy when you figure out his transformation includes bringing 60,000+ illegal immigrant children here and then "searching" for their parents???? After all, you of the racist tendencies can't be happy with that, can you?

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#169 Jul 3, 2014
Black America will stay enslaved until it abandons the Democrat plantations and stops allowing the Democrat Party to use it for power.
Who

Wyoming, MI

#170 Jul 3, 2014
Really wrote:
How do you figure?

There's nothing in their empty liberal skulls, not even mush.
Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

#171 Jul 4, 2014
Really wrote:
<quoted text>why am I wrong? did you look inside the numbers? I doubt it or you just might take your rose colored glasses off and be ticked off. Then again, since it doesn't affect you, perhaps you don't care that teenage unemployment is now at 21% and more than 8,000,000 Americans have given up looking for work?? Nah, you don't care about that, all you care about is that Obama is fundamentally transforming America. Perhaps you will finally be unhappy when you figure out his transformation includes bringing 60,000+ illegal immigrant children here and then "searching" for their parents???? After all, you of the racist tendencies can't be happy with that, can you?
LOL ... are you still trying to reason with the soon-to-be-irrelevant?

The great progressive "revolution" has amounted to nothing more than what will forever be considered the worst law America has ever passed. The economy will ebb and flow but history will reveal Obama and his Alinsky radicals only retarded what could have been a much quicker and longer-lasting recovery.

Location hidden

#172 Jul 4, 2014
JULY MARKS 52 STRAIGHT MONTHS OF PRIVATE SECTOR JOB GROWTH......More good news for ALL Americans....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hillary is a shoe-in for the top spot 14 min Batch 37 Pain Is ... 6
A Modality for Pain Reduction 9 hr britt05 1
How Liberal Pantywads React To Brain William's ... 9 hr Gville Jim 10
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 16 hr stewart scott 1,702
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 20 hr Cmar 991
TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT: Roof Melt (Jan '08) Feb 27 Snowstruck 69
Attorney's shortchanging of State Bar scuttles ... Feb 26 duh 3
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:08 am PST