Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of...

Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery

There are 793 comments on the WOODTV.com story from Jun 19, 2014, titled Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery. In it, WOODTV.com reports that:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich Today is June 19th, but it's more than that. It is a date that is celebrated as the day when enslavement ended in America back in 1865 and is also known as Juneteenth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOODTV.com.

Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

#47 Jun 28, 2014
bonds77 wrote:
So the righties on the board are saying "Please, oh please, government, can you intervene more and make the economy better?"
Huh?
Not sure what "righties" you're referring to, but this one is enjoying the current lame-duck position Obama, and his well-deserved plummeting approval ratings, are buried under. The last thing I want is more Obama government bungling, and if we remain in a stagnant position until this inexperienced celebrity-in-chief is unceremoniously ushered out the back door, we'll all be the better for it.

Unfortunately, some of you "lefties" are too damned stubborn and stupid to accept that your vote resulted in the slowest recovery in history, while the situations you oh-so-naively hoped for, have never come to fruition. Fortunately, if you angry stuck-on-stupids insist on electing a pasty, old, saggy, corrupt Hillary as your next great hope, we'll be able to bury this latest progressive "revolution" so deep in the dirt you won't have another chance to elect such ineptitude for decades.
Really

Wyoming, MI

#48 Jun 28, 2014
bonds77 wrote:
<quoted text>
SO you can show us with specifics(not emotion) how Obama's intervening has hurt the economy? Of course, be sure to leave out the record Dow....
"The record Dow" didn't matter when GW was President. That was "unimportant" then, so guess what Bonds, it's unimportant and means nothing now. Besides, the Dow is nothing more than speculators making money on betting that Obama is gonna fall on his face and they are winning because his corrupt arrogance is driving this country down. And who is celebrating that? The progressives of course.
bonds77

Holland, MI

#49 Jun 28, 2014
Again, nothing. You've succeeded in showing us how much paperwork there is. You've shown us that tax rates on the richest are higher. What you can't account for is the roaring US economy when those tax rates were the same in the 90's. You can't tell us why we ended up with a massive recession despite the long-dreamed tax cuts in the early Bush years that were supposed to bring us unending prosperity.

You can't show us why getting "stimulus" checks from GWB didn't result in a better economy. You haven't accounted for incredible growth in the 90's that didn't require stimulus and instead resulted in a surplus. You can't tell us why medical device ETF's are up despite the extra tax.(someone around here can attest to that.)

Also, you called it the slowest recovery in history. I would say that went to the Depression, which, not coincidentally, was the biggest recession in the last hundred years. You CAN say this is the 2nd slowest recovery, preceeded by the 2nd biggest recession. Coincidence?

Saying the Dow "doesn't matter" would mean that record corporate profits don't matter, while arguing that we have to cut their taxes so they create jobs would make any economist frown. So does gov't make the jobs, or does the private sector? Which is it?

You thought you slam dunked it. You didn't.

I don't think anyone would argue that Obama is a great President. But all you do when you blame him for everything down to a hangnail is show your comprehension of economics and society in general, which makes you look like you don't know a thing. Once you be truthful, you'll find that the people you claim to be defending Obama all the time will be, too.

“Life's not fair”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#51 Jun 28, 2014
(holding hand over eyes)- "i don't see reality - i don't see reality" - Bonds...
2001-2008 was a constant B!TCH session fron you and clueless about Bush.... in fact you STILL b!tch about him all the while giving nothing but excuses for Obama.
face it. that clown is a disaster and you're just not willing to face reality. i feel bad for you and i'll feel worse when reality smacks you right upside the head.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#52 Jun 28, 2014
SUNTRUST TO PAY CLOSE TO $1B OVER ALLEGATIONS OF MORTGAGE FRAUD..Associated Press .(6-18-14).....Thank You, Eric Holder and President Obama......

“Life's not fair”

Location hidden

#53 Jun 28, 2014
and they should be punished - along with the Black Panthers that intimidated voters in 2008 (video proof - Holder's ignoring it). when will that happen GBF??
but i digress....
who gave them that $$$ in the first place? remember TARP??? um yeah..... we gave them that $$ with NO STRINGS ATTACHED. no rules on what they could do with that $$. fat-cats got big bonuses with it.....

why didn't the Gov't attach any kind of "strings" to that $$? remember - it was a Democrat SUPER-majority in the House and Senate and a Democrat President that passed TARP. they were too big to fail.....
bonds77

Holland, MI

#54 Jun 28, 2014
bdwg wrote:
(holding hand over eyes)- "i don't see reality - i don't see reality" - Bonds...
2001-2008 was a constant B!TCH session fron you and clueless about Bush.... in fact you STILL b!tch about him all the while giving nothing but excuses for Obama.
face it. that clown is a disaster and you're just not willing to face reality. i feel bad for you and i'll feel worse when reality smacks you right upside the head.
Do you care to refute anything I said?

Can you EVER, EVER come up with anything other than cute slogans? I said Obama won't go down as a great President. But it's nothing close to what you talk about.
Really

Wyoming, MI

#55 Jun 28, 2014
bonds77 wrote:
Again, nothing. You've succeeded in showing us how much paperwork there is. You've shown us that tax rates on the richest are higher. What you can't account for is the roaring US economy when those tax rates were the same in the 90's. You can't tell us why we ended up with a massive recession despite the long-dreamed tax cuts in the early Bush years that were supposed to bring us unending prosperity.
You can't show us why getting "stimulus" checks from GWB didn't result in a better economy. You haven't accounted for incredible growth in the 90's that didn't require stimulus and instead resulted in a surplus. You can't tell us why medical device ETF's are up despite the extra tax.(someone around here can attest to that.)
Also, you called it the slowest recovery in history. I would say that went to the Depression, which, not coincidentally, was the biggest recession in the last hundred years. You CAN say this is the 2nd slowest recovery, preceeded by the 2nd biggest recession. Coincidence?
Saying the Dow "doesn't matter" would mean that record corporate profits don't matter, while arguing that we have to cut their taxes so they create jobs would make any economist frown. So does gov't make the jobs, or does the private sector? Which is it?
I don't think anyone would argue that Obama is a great President. But all you do when you blame him for everything down to a hangnail is show your comprehension of economics and society in general, which makes you look like you don't know a thing. Once you be truthful, you'll find that the people you claim to be defending Obama all the time will be, too.
"I don't think anyone would argue that Obama is a great President. " Sorry, but this is a direct quote from your very own post. Sorry, but there are a lot of people who are waking up to exactly how corrupt and inept this President actually is now. Lots of "buyers remorse" going around these days. However, just continue with your defense of him. You and Blue look really silly, but it is your right to look silly and we wouldn't want to take that right away from you.
bonds77

Holland, MI

#56 Jun 28, 2014
Uh, maybe you took it wrong. He's not a great President. But over GWB- any time, 10x over.
Dr X

Grandville, MI

#57 Jun 28, 2014
The progressive left must be exterminated. There is no other way.
ALICE

Waipahu, HI

#58 Jun 29, 2014
Dr X wrote:
Ha ha....You're no Doc you're a Topix Troll...Ha ha
Really

Wyoming, MI

#59 Jun 29, 2014
bonds77 wrote:
Uh, maybe you took it wrong. He's not a great President. But over GWB- any time, 10x over.
He's corrupt and arrogant and makes Jimmy Carter look brilliant. Perhaps you are too young to remember Jimmy Carter?
Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

#60 Jun 29, 2014
bonds77 wrote:
I just stated the facts. You do with them what you want. Not a matter of "slam dunking " anything. You asked for facts and I provided them. As we've learned well, especially during the current administration, you can spin and twist facts into any result you choose.

This is commonly accepted as the longest recovery in history. You cannot provide proof of any lasting or substantial jobs saved or created by Obama's "stimulus". The DOW is not a reliable meter on the long-term economic situation as it could tank tomorrow for all you know.

If you want to argue those commonly accepted facts, I'll have no part in it.
pipedream

Grand Blanc, MI

#61 Jun 29, 2014
bdwg wrote:
and they should be punished - along with the Black Panthers that intimidated voters in 2008 (video proof - Holder's ignoring it). when will that happen GBF??
but i digress....
who gave them that $$$ in the first place? remember TARP??? um yeah..... we gave them that $$ with NO STRINGS ATTACHED. no rules on what they could do with that $$. fat-cats got big bonuses with it.....
why didn't the Gov't attach any kind of "strings" to that $$? remember - it was a Democrat SUPER-majority in the House and Senate and a Democrat President that passed TARP. they were too big to fail.....
STFU stupid and get you big nose out of Glenn Beck's azz-hole. Your ignorance is only surpassed by you stupidity.

Refresher Course: TARP

http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/209...
Who

Grand Rapids, MI

#62 Jun 29, 2014
Dr X wrote:
If only someone would have taken them out at woodstock we could have gotten rid of thousands of worthless stoned hippies and we wouldn't be dealing with their useless children and grandchildren now.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#63 Jun 29, 2014
Really wrote:
<quoted text>No one is celebrating you dolt! Just pointing it out since it slipped past your ability to notice it because AP undoubtedly didn't report it. And it is NOT hugely due to the weather despite what the administration is feeding you. It happened because this administration is driving the country this way.
FINANCING EASES FOR SMALL BUSINESS.....BANKS MORE WILLING TO LEND AS FIRMS RECOVER...Associated Press.(6-29-14).....Thank You, Obama Administration for our economic recovery....
Pippy

United States

#64 Jun 29, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>FINANCING EASES FOR SMALL BUSINESS.....BANKS MORE WILLING TO LEND AS FIRMS RECOVER...Associated Press.(6-29-14).....Thank You, Obama Administration for our economic recovery....
Your ignorance is boring. We are not surprised by it.
pipedream

Grand Blanc, MI

#65 Jun 29, 2014
bdwg wrote:
Once again, quit being an ignorant loud mouth. Again, a good place for you to start would be getting your nose out of Beck's A.H.

Barack Obama unequivocally did NOT bail out the banks!! For the last time it was George W. Bush and his Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson (former CEO of Goldman Sachs) that cooked up that idea, hastily sped the plan through Congress (most of which are bought off by Wall Street anyway), and signed into law. Yes, TARP, the Troubled Assest Relief Program, was signed into law on October 3, 2008, a full month before candidate Obama was even elected! When the criminal Paulson (GWBs man at Treasury) was pushing his plan, PAULSON wanted to give the banks the money with absolutely no strings attached as quickly as possible and with no oversight whatsoever! Thankfully we had a few good Democrats who had heads on their shoulders and didn't allow $750 billion of the taxpayers' money go to the banksters just like that. CHECK IT OUT and until then just STFU.

Do you want to know where this all started. It started back in the 80s under the REAGAN administration and continued on a couple more decades until deregulation of the banking industry was made legal because of the REPEAL of Glass-Steagall by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (YES PHIL GRAMM. Remember him? Which party was he a member of?), WHICH WAS DRAFTED AND PASSED IN LATE 1999 BY THE REPUBLICAN DOMINATED 106TH CONGRESS). YES A REPUBLICAN DOMINATED CONGRESS. CHECK IT OUT.
pipedream

Grand Blanc, MI

#66 Jun 29, 2014
Really wrote:
<quoted text>"The record Dow" didn't matter when GW was President. That was "unimportant" then, so guess what Bonds, it's unimportant and means nothing now. Besides, the Dow is nothing more than speculators making money on betting that Obama is gonna fall on his face and they are winning because his corrupt arrogance is driving this country down. And who is celebrating that? The progressives of course.
Maybe, just maybe, if you could ever work your way out a job in the fast food industry and qualify for earning a living wage could you begin earning enough income to save and reap the rewards of a stock market that has more than doubled in value since Obama took office. Do you think just maybe you have such a sh!tty outlook on current affairs and life in general because of your pathetic station in life? Think about it stupid.

“Life's not fair”

Location hidden

#67 Jun 29, 2014
ok - so i messed up on the president at the time. my bad.
and at that - that's 1 more thing Bush did wrong. yep - i said it. there are others i've pointed out before - search if you wanna know. they're on the 'net for all to see.

from your link - "TARP was supported by Obama as a candidate and continued by the Obama Administration. Early in the Obama Administration, around the time the AIG bonus scandal broke, there was a sense that TARP may be terminated and that a new program for insolvent banks would be put in place. But, of course, that didnít happen. In fact, Obama threatened to veto any attempt by Congress to restrict the dispersal of additional TARP funds."

so obviously Obama likes giving the bank $$ with no strings attached. as much as he says they are bad....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mexican people think they own everything. Tru... 12 hr Realists 3
Local News Women (Apr '09) Thu T-Man 2,992
Adult theater Cina-Mini two (Mar '13) Aug 10 Isnt That Special 15
Does anyone remember The Red Lion restaurant in... (Jun '16) Aug 3 Steveo 3
News Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07) Aug 3 Fun Facts 635
topless maid in gr (Jul '08) Jul 30 Billy Barry 30
News Michigan lawmaker proposes bill banning Sharia Law Jul 27 Ampman 14

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance