Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of...

Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery

There are 793 comments on the WOODTV.com story from Jun 19, 2014, titled Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery. In it, WOODTV.com reports that:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich Today is June 19th, but it's more than that. It is a date that is celebrated as the day when enslavement ended in America back in 1865 and is also known as Juneteenth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOODTV.com.

FIan

Honolulu, HI

#303 Jul 9, 2014
George wrote:
Well, it is obvious, based on the coversation here, that racism is alive and well is the USA. It is an ugly and sad state that we have created. What can we do to help? Not what someone else can do, what can we/I do to make a difference? Certainly the goal is noble. We would all benefit at a larger level.
Something to think about.
The mutants above are always the last ones to come correct. The longer they can delay the process of treating everyone as an equal, the longer they can feel superior.

But, even though they beat this into their young ins heads their kids will have sex, get married and produce obama looking children, big ears an all.

This is what scares these moron mutants, they can't stop it.
They have tried and some have already failed. Michigan is off the charts with mixed raced families. Half and half is the new white.
pipedream

Grand Blanc, MI

#304 Jul 9, 2014
Raise da Roof S wrote:
<quoted text> There are THOUSANDS of small businesses and large corporations that have employees that love their job and EMPLOYERS. Most companies treat their employees well, otherwise MILLIONS of people wouldn't be trying, many times risking life and limb, to become American citizens.
Just because YOU are stupid and needing government help doesn't mean everyone else are dumbfcuks. SmhLOL@ this selornapaden type moron. Btw turn MSNBC the fcuk off.
You shouldn't go around with your big in nose so far in Glenn and Rush's A.H. stupid. Did you ever wonder why you can't see or think straight stupid?
Carly Popinjay

United States

#305 Jul 9, 2014
pipedream wrote:
<quoted text>
You shouldn't go around with your big in nose so far in Glenn and Rush's A.H. stupid. Did you ever wonder why you can't see or think straight stupid?
I heard Detroit was big f--king shjit hole!! What are you doing there??
Blackhorse Made Me Do It

Honolulu, HI

#306 Jul 9, 2014
JUNETEENTH

Public life
Juneteenth is a partial or full state holiday, or an official observance in about half of the US states, including Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Washington and Wyoming.

In some states, people employed by the state have a day off work. Stores, post offices and other organizations and businesses are likely to be open as usual, but some may be closed or have restricted opening hours in some areas. Many public transit services operate to their usual schedule, but there may be some changes. There may be some local disruption to traffic around large scale public events.

///way to represent Michigan,
FIAN

Honolulu, HI

#308 Jul 9, 2014
In 1979, an African-American state representative from Houston, Al Edwards, proposed that Texas make Juneteenth an official state holiday. His legislation passed, and as of January 1, 1980, Texas was the first state to observe Juneteeth as a holiday.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#309 Jul 9, 2014
FIAN wrote:
In 1979, an African-American state representative from Houston, Al Edwards, proposed that Texas make Juneteenth an official state holiday. His legislation passed, and as of January 1, 1980, Texas was the first state to observe Juneteeth as a holiday.
Great....More Holidays...Less Street Crime, eh?.....
FIan

Honolulu, HI

#310 Jul 9, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Great....More Holidays...Less Street Crime, eh?.....
Nah "the kicker" is having the State of Texas honor black folk. Yes that means you Rick "the dick" Perry.
Phil

Oxford, MI

#311 Jul 9, 2014
Carly Popinjay wrote:
<quoted text>I heard Detroit was big f--king shjit hole!! What are you doing there??
He's being the coward he is. Every time he is called out he shows the p@@@@ he is. He is an A.H. coward with a big mouth and that is a fact. I don't even want to explain how his mouth got so stretched out.
Dr X

Grandville, MI

#312 Jul 9, 2014
If we hanged all the progressive traitors in this country we'd be in much better shape. I think it's coming soon.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Novi, MI

#314 Jul 9, 2014
Dr X wrote:
If we hanged all the progressive traitors in this country we'd be in much better shape. I think it's coming soon.
Progressive numbers are going down as they keep aborting their children....... But they are killing more blacks babies through Margaret Sanger's dream organization, Planned Parenthood, so they are losing that future voting block too......
Dr X

Grandville, MI

#315 Jul 9, 2014
Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
<quoted text>Progressive numbers are going down as they keep aborting their children....... But they are killing more blacks babies through Margaret Sanger's dream organization, Planned Parenthood, so they are losing that future voting block too......
True, but the ones that they haven't killed while in the womb have doubled-down on treason. Just take a look at Obama. Does anyone really believe he is just a confused, inept leader? No! He's a Manchurian with the goal of destroying western civilization which he hates. I wonder if he'd be a willing martyr for his cause?
Dr X

Grandville, MI

#317 Jul 9, 2014
kookierecluse wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, dead blacks are being replaced 30 fold by illegals swarming into this country...just like that fahking traitor Obama wants it.
Very true. That's what the Democrats(Progressives)(Commun ists) need....a never-ending trail of voters with their hands out. As far as Obama is concerned, I can't believe he's still breathing after all his treasonous activity. The White House isn't that secure you know. I figure he could be dragged out of there by his balls by about 50,000 who weren't there to f-around.
from 30 thousand keike

Honolulu, HI

#318 Jul 9, 2014
Mahalo President George Bush fot leaving the" barn door" open.(the US Border)
bonds77

Holland, MI

#319 Jul 10, 2014
Dr X wrote:
<quoted text>True, but the ones that they haven't killed while in the womb have doubled-down on treason. Just take a look at Obama. Does anyone really believe he is just a confused, inept leader? No! He's a Manchurian with the goal of destroying western civilization which he hates. I wonder if he'd be a willing martyr for his cause?
SHouldn't you be in your bunker preparing for the "revolution"? Alex Jones beckons. You're on the wrong site.
bonds77

Holland, MI

#320 Jul 10, 2014
Dr X wrote:
<quoted text>Very true. That's what the Democrats(Progressives)(Commun ists) need....a never-ending trail of voters with their hands out. As far as Obama is concerned, I can't believe he's still breathing after all his treasonous activity. The White House isn't that secure you know. I figure he could be dragged out of there by his balls by about 50,000 who weren't there to f-around.
Speaking of internet tough guys....

Sounds like a threat. Might want to be careful with that one.

It's amazing that you guys just "know" that more illegals are purposely being shipped here despite record deportations and less people coming in. You just KNOW it. As for the 50,000 kids, I guess if Bush didn't sign the law in 2008, it wouldn't happen.
pipedream

Grand Blanc, MI

#321 Jul 10, 2014
kookierecluse wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, dead blacks are being replaced 30 fold by illegals swarming into this country...just like that fahking traitor Obama wants it.
What you really mean is you enjoy bending over for Obama as often as possible.

Your problem has nothing to do with Obama or progressives per se. You're just a racist pig filled with hate and you want to blame your pathetic miserable life on someone else. That about nails it perfectly doesn't it red wood?
pipedream

Grand Blanc, MI

#322 Jul 10, 2014
Dr X wrote:
<quoted text>Very true. That's what the Democrats(Progressives)(Commun ists) need....a never-ending trail of voters with their hands out. As far as Obama is concerned, I can't believe he's still breathing after all his treasonous activity. The White House isn't that secure you know. I figure he could be dragged out of there by his balls by about 50,000 who weren't there to f-around.
LOL the Obama administration is only following the law passed by the GOPher Congress and signed by Bush 43 who will be brought up for war crimes. How does it feel having me prove to the world once more that you're a complete A.H? When are you going to put that loaded gun to your head and pull the trigger zero? If you don't have the balls to do it, I'm sure there are lots of people willing to do it for you.

“This is a piece of legislation we’re very proud to sign,” a White House spokesman, Tony Fratto, told reporters on Dec. 23, 2008, as the president put his pen to the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008, named for a 19th-century British abolitionist.“This program has been very effective around the world in trying to stop trafficking in persons.”

Originally pushed by a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers as well as by evangelical groups to combat sex trafficking, the bill gave substantial new protections to children entering the country alone who were not from Mexico or Canada by prohibiting them from being quickly sent back to their country of origin.

Hey dickwood, you too. You know who you are. How does it feel being zero's A.H. bastard cousin? lol

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#323 Jul 10, 2014
...Boooom........

“Peace Love”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#324 Jul 10, 2014
pipedream wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL the Obama administration is only following the law passed by the GOPher Congress and signed by Bush 43 who will be brought up for war crimes. How does it feel having me prove to the world once more that you're a complete A.H? When are you going to put that loaded gun to your head and pull the trigger zero? If you don't have the balls to do it, I'm sure there are lots of people willing to do it for you.
“This is a piece of legislation we’re very proud to sign,” a White House spokesman, Tony Fratto, told reporters on Dec. 23, 2008, as the president put his pen to the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008, named for a 19th-century British abolitionist.“This program has been very effective around the world in trying to stop trafficking in persons.”
Originally pushed by a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers as well as by evangelical groups to combat sex trafficking, the bill gave substantial new protections to children entering the country alone who were not from Mexico or Canada by prohibiting them from being quickly sent back to their country of origin.
Hey dickwood, you too. You know who you are. How does it feel being zero's A.H. bastard cousin? lol
We all know laws are written and enacted with the best of intentions only to become abused because of situations like this. What I find odd, and so should you, is that the president has not mentioned this law as a stumbling block and even if it were why has he not used that "pen" he has to use his executive power to over rule it and make things right?
It's also odd that he calls this a "humanitarian situation" and asks for billions, yes billions, of dollars to accommodate these children but fails to call the V.A.'s failure any such thing and has not asked for any extra money to fund the much needed and deserved support for our Veterans??
pipedream

Grand Blanc, MI

#325 Jul 10, 2014
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
It's also odd that he calls this a "humanitarian situation" and asks for billions, yes billions, of dollars to accommodate these children but fails to call the V.A.'s failure any such thing and has not asked for any extra money to fund the much needed and deserved support for our Veterans??
Obama has indeed recognized the failures of the V.A. and has asked Congress for more money dedicated to Veterans to ease the pain. Have to wait to see if Congress (Boner) will give it to him. With regard to what Obama is or is not doing in dealing with the crisis unfolding with unaccompanied minors from Central America and mothers flooding the U.S.(Legally by the way) by taking advantage of the Act Bush signed into law, he has asked Congress for both MORE POWERS and $$$ to deal with the problem He's had to do this because HOUSE REPUBLICANS (BONER) has refused to take up Immigration Reform. In fact, Boner has already told the President the House will not be doing anything this year and maybe NEVER. So you might want to direct your questions to the "BONER" about that since Congress holds the purse stings and the power to legislate. Regarding why the President doesn't just use his Executive powers to solve the problem (which is what you're asking him to do), the fact is he is and has said publicly what he plans to do in response to House Republican refusal to take up Immigration reform. Included in that is how he plans to deal with the crisis involving unaccompanied minors and their parents from Central America. Lets see how the GOP will jump on his for doing that. In short, its a case of the President being damned if he does and damned if he doesn't do anything.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/obama-i...

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/03/04/2015...

https://www.wnyc.org/story/obama-to-ask-congr...

http://www.businessinsider.com/boehner-to-oba...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 18-year-old shot by Grand Rapids police during ... 2 hr Faith 4
Local News Women (Apr '09) 6 hr Grim Reaper 2,971
News Michigan lawmaker proposes bill banning Sharia Law 22 hr LickitySplit 13
News Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07) Sun justheretohelp 617
Grand Rapids; a good place to live? (Mar '12) Jul 22 Lena Gomez 194
White people are selective racist. Jul 21 Lena Gomez 2
White males are weak. Jul 21 Lena Gomez 1

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance