Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of...

Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery

There are 793 comments on the WOODTV.com story from Jun 19, 2014, titled Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery. In it, WOODTV.com reports that:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich Today is June 19th, but it's more than that. It is a date that is celebrated as the day when enslavement ended in America back in 1865 and is also known as Juneteenth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOODTV.com.

First Prev
of 40
Next Last
Tom2b Missed This Story

Waipahu, HI

#1 Jun 20, 2014
Tom must be from the Loney Star State. They weren't to happy about Juneteenth either.
Fian

Waipahu, HI

#2 Jun 20, 2014
What is the history of Juneteenth?
During the American Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on 22 September 1862, to be introduced at the beginning of January 1863. It proclaimed the freedom of slaves in the 10 states still in rebellion, freeing around 3 million of the 4 million slaves in captivity at the time.
Texas, even after military hostilities had ended, did not comply with the proclamation.
On 18 June 1865, Union General Gordon Granger, along with 2,000 federal troops, arrived in Galveston, Texas, to take possession of the state and enforce the emancipation of the men and women still in captivity. The announcement of "General Order No 3", read by Grander, was made on 19 June, now known as Juneteenth.
It read: "The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free."
Charles

Holland, MI

#4 Jun 20, 2014
Thanks for the history lesson!
Who

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Jun 20, 2014
Slavery ended?

Somebody explain this to the blacks then, they're whining about it is getting annoying.

Actually slavery never ended, the "progressive" demoncrats just rebranded and relabeled it like they do with everything else - it's called welfare now.

“Peace Love”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#6 Jun 20, 2014
Who wrote:
Slavery ended?
Somebody explain this to the blacks then, they're whining about it is getting annoying.
Actually slavery never ended, the "progressive" demoncrats just rebranded and relabeled it like they do with everything else - it's called welfare now.
The number of Whites on welfare - 38.8%
The number of Blacks on welfare - 39.8%

Must be slavery as a label has nothing to do with skin color.
Who

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Jun 20, 2014
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
And the source of these numbers is?

Let me guess, the bluffington compost...?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#9 Jun 21, 2014
Slavery survives, and as close as Haiti.....Restavecs...child slaves that are sold by parents into a life of laborous servitude, physical and sexual abuse.....Yet black Americans never acknowledge this.....Kinda shows the depth of their true regard for slavery.....
Really

Wyoming, MI

#10 Jun 23, 2014
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
Morning Wiggley, some will never let go of their stereotypes of the African Americans. It is truly sad.
Jorell

Holland, MI

#11 Jun 23, 2014
Go Blue,

I know that a large portion of African Americans have their hands full overcoming the bias and barriers put before them here in the US to have time or energy to worry about Haiti.

Location hidden

#12 Jun 23, 2014
Jorell wrote:
Go Blue,
I know that a large portion of African Americans have their hands full overcoming the bias and barriers put before them here in the US to have time or energy to worry about Haiti.
Does'nt preclude them from leaning on the slavery issue, anytime they are called out on social issues, does it? Any people, that concerned with the horrors of slavery, should actually take a look around the region.....BTW, what are some of the current barriers, as you see them?....
Fian

Waipahu, HI

#13 Jun 23, 2014
Who wrote:
Slavery ended?
There is not enough time in this decade to bring you up to speed as to why black people are still pissed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virgin...

Did Mr. Who have to wait until 1967 to marry your momma Geraldine?
Heraldo

Jenison, MI

#14 Jun 26, 2014
Hispanics are the ones who are really screwed. At least the blacks got there own president. So any incompetent person of color can rise to the top is they only lie enough.
FiIan

Waipahu, HI

#15 Jun 26, 2014
Heraldo wrote:
Hispanics are the ones who are really screwed. At least the blacks got there own president. So any incompetent person of color can rise to the top is they only lie enough.
We have had bdwg (Big Dumb White Guys) as presidents for years.
So yes any dumb person of every color can become president of the USA. Now go iron you best suit and start filling out the proper forms. Good luck to U.
FiIan

Waipahu, HI

#16 Jun 26, 2014
Oh yeah...Good luck to U fake Hispanic person. You reek of a certain "runner".
Heraldo

Jenison, MI

#17 Jun 26, 2014
FiIan wrote:
Oh yeah...Good luck to U fake Hispanic person. You reek of a certain "runner".
You are rude and ignorant. If I'm a fake Hispanic your a fake Hawaiian. Now climb back on someones dash and jiggle your grass skirt.

Aloha!
Shining Electron

Buffalo, NY

#18 Jun 26, 2014
Since we celebrate slavery every other day of the year, it seems fair to give the pavement apes ONE day to celebrate its end.
X-TREME BIAS

Toronto, Canada

#19 Jun 26, 2014
I am also "Shining Electron". White supremacist groups, primarily Storm Front, pay unemployed white people to troll internet sites all day long. These groups have no money so they pay with beer and meth. Law enforcement officials in their areas have all IP addresses on file.
Shining Electron

Buffalo, NY

#20 Jun 26, 2014
X-TREME BIAS wrote:
I am also "Shining Electron". White supremacist groups, primarily Storm Front, pay unemployed white people to troll internet sites all day long. These groups have no money so they pay with beer and meth. Law enforcement officials in their areas have all IP addresses on file.
Troll. Use your own name, nighur.

Location hidden

#22 Jun 26, 2014
kookierecluse wrote:
Your skin color could be purple and as long as you have access to TONS of money and are willing to lie and have zero ethics, you too can be president.
Schools out?
jiggle my but 4 u_no way

Waipahu, HI

#23 Jun 26, 2014
Heraldo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are rude and ignorant. If I'm a fake Hispanic your a fake Hawaiian. Now climb back on someones dash and jiggle your grass skirt.
Aloha!
Never said i was a Hawaiian or a native Hawaiian H e r a l d o.

The racial makeup of Hudsonville Michigan is 94.3% White, 1.5% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.8% Asian, 1.3% from other races, and 1.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.2% of the population.

No god respecting Hispanic would waste his time on Topix with you playing "hide the dick".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 40
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Tue newberry 1,185
Why do white people harass other races, when we... Aug 21 Guy In The WHITE ... 3
Local News Women (Apr '09) Aug 21 Dr Bea 2,994
White people are selective racist. Aug 20 timeout 4
topless maid in gr (Jul '08) Aug 20 timeout 32
White males are weak. Aug 20 timeout 2
Adult theater Cina-Mini two (Mar '13) Aug 20 timeout 16

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages