Remembering the Blizzard of 1978

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

By the time the storm passed on January 26th, streets, cars, even homes were buried in the snow.
Comments
61 - 76 of 76 Comments Last updated Jan 28, 2014
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
joemamma

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

radell wrote:
<quoted text>
Those of us who were teens back then, this is part of those stories you tell your children. I walked 5 miles to school, uphill both ways, etc. Or it's a typo. The snow banks were really high. There are pictures in my senior yearbook.
I remember it also, I was only 11 years old but 140 feet ??? That is as tall as a 14 story building.
snomad

Hudsonville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

Judged:

16 years old @ the time. A buddy of mine invited a bunch of friends over to celebrate his birthday (while his parents were out of town). Back then about 1/2 our friends could buy alcohol at certain stores. Although I don't condone underage drinking now... hey, it was the way it was. Everyone brought more than enough booze and "medicinal herb" + there was his Mom & Dads' bar. About 15-20 teens total, snowed in for a 3 birthday party. Walking home on the severely drifted road, the power lines were only about 5-6 feet overhead.
Doug

Sainte Genevieve, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

Hastings, MI By the time I got out of work at 3A.M. the night of the storm the blizzard was at its worse. I still wanted to get home to my family. Luckily I was able to follow a semi until I came to my road. I walked two miles with only a winter coat. By the time I got home I had walked through snow that was waist deep and drifts that were chest deep. I was young and stupid and was lucky to have made it.
Amy

Kalamazoo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

We lived on North Shore Dr.in Ferrysburg at that time. The road was completely snowed in for several days. Finally once the snow and wind decreased, a construction company owner (who lived at the very end of the road near the pier) had one of his front end loaders clear a lane the entire stretch. If it hadn't been for his help, we would have been snowed in many more days.
snowey

Kalamazoo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

I was very pregnant. 68th between division and Eastern was a snowmobile track for days. Snowmobiles were enlisted to take medical personal to work. At the time it was great fun.. but then I didn't have to go out of the house.(my condition of course) and thankfully I gave birth a few weeks later.

Since: Jan 10

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

I was 10 and will never forget my Dad opening the electric garage door and all we saw was SNOW! A complete wall of snow from the roof to the ground, I was so awed...my Dad was not.
Linda Looney

Grandville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2010

We had just moved back to Michigan from south central Missouri. When that storm hit, we didn't even own a snow shovel, so I trudged about 2 1/2 blocks in snow to my thighs to a relative's house to borrow a shovel. Our driveway was completely drifted over and it had banks on both sides! What a learning experience for my husband who was the transplant - I was raised here.
bill

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

Judged:

I was in Florida when the storm hit. The news down there was really bad but I'm a Michigander and thought it was just another lake storm. On the way home when we got to Indiana and there were tanks on the roads. I lucked out and got one of the last hotel rooms left. We had a blast for three days before we could safely go home.
Lorna

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

My dad was to go on call at the hospital when the storm hit. We lived in the country way way back in the woods, East of Muskegon. He could not get out and about 1:00am we saw spot lights and plow lights working their was back into our yard. A plow was followed by a volunteer who picked my dad up with a four wheel drive.Very few people had four wheel drives and the police were asking people to help pick up hospital personel.
Dominic

Grand Blanc, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

Judged:

All these years later, and Rval is still a w h o r e. Go figure.
Earl

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2011

I was stranded in Traverse City for 3-4 days and my friend and I and a adopted passenger was the first to get out of town. On the way out we made our way down a city street and there on the State Theatre marquee was the movie playing " OH GOD " truer words were never spoken.
Sharon Hudsonville

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

The blizzard of 78 was amazing. My husband and I had just purchased our first home in Jenison. The drifts were higher than the garage door. 28th street was CLOSED. I was an OB nurse at Metro...somebody came to pick me up for work in a Jeep. Although we lived 3 houses from the corner...I walked in 3-4 feet of snow to get to the Jeep. The nurses stayed until other nurses could get in to relieve us. I had never seen that much snow before or since!
Kevin

Telluride, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

I was a student at GVSU and lived on 52nd St in Allendale, a friend of mine was having a blizzard partly , Lake Michigan Drive was closed, so another friend of mine and I Cross Country skied to the party! School was closed for a couple of days, we did a lot Cross Country skiing that winter..
I remember the winds and whiteout conditions lasted for quite sometime.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

I lived in Sturgis, during that storm....worked in Shipshewana, Indiana....thought i was invincible in my 74 VW Bug....drove through a bad drift, and tore off my beloved custom exhaust....lol...
Sassy

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

I lived in Big Rapids at the time. I lived out of town and because school was closed so often many days we were sent to school only to be sent home early. The snow was awesome. Even today I don't mind be stuck at home after 4 days. I have plenty of homework, cleaning and crafts to do. I like to hibernate.
Dave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

I shoveled the roof on our house 4 times that winter
.We started going stir crasy so a few of the us got out the blowers and blew the subdivison

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

30 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 4 min pipedream 704
More Lois Lerner Email Shenanigans 5 hr Oneal 4
Local News Women (Apr '09) 12 hr SOS in Mesa 2,293
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 13 hr Outrageous 76
Review: A-1 Appliance Repair (Jan '10) 21 hr Cooking Herb 20
The Russian need a bullet in his head 23 hr Oneal 4
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) 23 hr gottondas 5,482
•••
•••
•••
Grand Rapids Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••