Remembering the Blizzard of 1978

By the time the storm passed on January 26th, streets, cars, even homes were buried in the snow. Full Story
Ruthann Fekken - New Era

Whitehall, MI

#21 Jan 26, 2008
I remember the storm of 78. I was suppose to be a live in babysitter but I was only staying for one night. When I got up the next day to get the kids off to school their parents were sitting at the table. When I asked why they didn't go to work they told me to look outside and in their driveway was a snow drift 12 feet high and 12 feet wide. I was snowed in for a week and the only way we were able to get supplies was by snowmobile. I remember all the roads looked like you were driving thru tunnels.
hero worship

United States

#22 Jan 26, 2008
I was 11 at the time and remember the blizzard well. Being on the lakeshore, we were hit hard. My dad owned a hardware store and was convinced he needed to get into town so people could get what they needed. He couldn't get the snowmobile to stay unstuck long enough to get anywhere, and this is a man who still rides hard at 71 and used to race when he was young. He walked all the way to town...over three miles. My mom declared him crazy; I thought he was amazing. Still do.

Since: Jan 08

Newaygo, MI

#23 Jan 26, 2008
I remember that year . I was a senior that year at Wayland. It took two weeks for them to plow our road. And then the plow got stuck. They had to bring in a loader to get the plow out. Also we had to put bike flag on the car. So you can see it coming down the road
Bill B

Grand Rapids, MI

#24 Jan 26, 2008
In 1978 I drove a dump truck for a living. We were on our seasonal layoff and were called back under a federal emergency. We hauled snow out of downtown Grand Rapids for almost two weeks. The thing I remember as being kind of funny was the parking meters that we hauled also. The city had a man with a pickup truck at the dump site. And as we dumped our loads of snow, he would search for parking meters. As the big front end loaders were loading our trucks they would also be taking the parking meters which they couldn't see or feel as they plowed into the snow drifts. I remember the city workers pickup truck being loaded with the meters we took down.

“Go TIGERS!!”

Since: Nov 07

Rockford, MI

#25 Jan 26, 2008
Bill B wrote:
In 1978 I drove a dump truck for a living. We were on our seasonal layoff and were called back under a federal emergency. We hauled snow out of downtown Grand Rapids for almost two weeks. The thing I remember as being kind of funny was the parking meters that we hauled also. The city had a man with a pickup truck at the dump site. And as we dumped our loads of snow, he would search for parking meters. As the big front end loaders were loading our trucks they would also be taking the parking meters which they couldn't see or feel as they plowed into the snow drifts. I remember the city workers pickup truck being loaded with the meters we took down.
thats funny!! i don't remember much. i lost a boot in the front of the house and we did not find it until spring!!!
Karla D formerly of GH

United States

#26 Jan 26, 2008
Besides all the snow and the tunnel we had to make to get out the front door (the snow was drifted up to the roof), what I remember most about the blizzard of 1978 was that we ran out of food after a few days. My dad put on his cross-country skis and skied to Meijer's. That was like a five-mile trek each way! He said the only thing in the Meijer parking lot (besides the drifts, of course) were snowmobiles, other skis stuck in the snow by the entrance, and even a dog sled team!! When he came home with some kind of chocolate drink instead of milk we were so mad at him. What a dumb 13-year-old I was, getting annoyed... There was no milk left in the store by then, duh! How fortunate are we now, to have such accurate weather forecasts and those cute boxes of milk that stay fresh for months at a time!!
Proud Army Mom

AOL

#27 Jan 26, 2008
I was 10 at the time. I remember the storm hit while my dad was at work and was able to drive until he got about a mile to two miles from home where he had to leave the car. He walked the rest of the way home and our neighbor would snowmobile him back and forth to work the rest of the time. We had two weeks off from school and we would all gather outside because we could play in the streets and not worry about cars. My made a lot of homemade bread and we had powdered milk YUCK!!!! But the bread and cookies and cakes and even pudding were so yummy. How inventive my paretns were with 5 kids 10 and under and keeping us busy. It was a wonderful time.
Steve Andreas

Brighton, MI

#28 Jan 26, 2008
I was still living at home in Muskegon and going to college at the time. The whole neighborhood worked together to try to keep our little street open but finally gave up after the snow got a few feet deep. We had one neighbor try to drive out and got stuck after snow was coming over the hood of his car. It was a mess and we had a snowbank next to our driveway at high up as our roof was on our house.
Dan frisco colorado

Denver, CO

#29 Jan 26, 2008
I was 11 years old during the blizzard of 78.My family lived on North Shore Dr. in Ferrysburg.We had so much snow that our house could not be seen from the street.I remember lots of shoveling and being out of school for two weeks.Great times!
Barb T

Fennville, MI

#30 Jan 27, 2008
I was 9 when the storm hit. We lived in an upstairs apartment that was formally a farm house.When we went out our door, the snow was all the way up to the last two steps.The people in the bottom apartment was pretty dark. It was so cool seeing the snow from the inside. We made tunnels and forts in the silos. I have shared the stories with my children ,they think it would be cool. I remember winters were not always this way, but seems like we sure had much more snow than we get now days.
Billy

Osage Beach, MO

#31 Jan 27, 2008
I can remember December 1977 to 1978 I was stationed in the military in Norfolk, Virginia and the whole town was completely shut down for 7 days from the snow blizzard. My friend was from Wisconsin and myself being from Michigan, we thought it was great! They made everybody stay off from the roads, but as for him and I we drove all over town having a great time remembering home!
Billy

Osage Beach, MO

#32 Jan 27, 2008
Just to add to the one I just posted....The greatest thing is when we got up the next morning to leave and go back to the base, we got into the car and started it up and tried to leave. We couldn't because the tires were literally froze to the ground.

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#33 Jan 27, 2008
Billy wrote:
I can remember December 1977 to 1978 I was stationed in the military in Norfolk, Virginia and the whole town was completely shut down for 7 days from the snow blizzard. My friend was from Wisconsin and myself being from Michigan, we thought it was great! They made everybody stay off from the roads, but as for him and I we drove all over town having a great time remembering home!
I remember Norfolk from the mid 60s. Two inches of snow would shut down the city. That was funny. I can about imagine in 78.
mom

Rockford, MI

#34 Jan 27, 2008
i hope we never see another storm like that again, that one was plenty for me.
dad

Dorr, MI

#35 Jan 27, 2008
Wow, can you imagine how much entertainment Storm Team Eight weather clowns would have with this kind of weather? If they can convince schools to shut down for 4-5 inches, I figure they would get you to drink the Kool-aid cause the world was ending.
Amy

Holland, MI

#36 Jan 27, 2008
I was 15 at the time of the blizzard and remember how my younger sisters were stranded at school and my dad had to pick them up on the snowmobile. We also had to take our snowmobiles into down (right down main street) to get groceries for ourselves and some neighbors.
Nikki

Grand Rapids, MI

#38 Jan 27, 2008
I was 5 that winter, a kindergartener. We were living in a house across the street for my grandparents for the year while our new house was being built. Since the snow was literally covering all the doors and windows, I remember being so excited that Daddy was stuck home with us because he couldn't make it from Spring Lake to the power plant! But then my Mom and little sister got the flu and Dad didn't want to have to nurse us all so he called up Grandma and decided to carry me over there on his shoulders. Dad wasn't a tall man, only 5'6'' but while I was sitting on his shoulders I remember the snow being up to my knees!!! Poor Dad was trying so hard not to fall over, and I was just up there singing away and talking his ears off!!! By the time he got to the house he was frozen and wet and miserable!!! Then he left me with the grandparents and had to walk back. I think I stayed there for a week while they ALL recovered from that one!!!
Bonnie

Wyoming, MI

#39 Jan 27, 2008
I was 15 years old and remember it so well because it was only the second time in 9 years that we had a day off in the Grand Rapids Public Schools. We had moved from Greenville schools when I was in 3rd grade and was used to a least a couple snowdays a year. The first one was in 9th grade because of an ice storm. The year of the blizzard we actually were closed for 2 days. Even Junior College (now CC) was closed downtown.
Bon

Holland, MI

#40 Jan 28, 2008
I was 4 years old in 1978,, I can remember it because of where we lived at the time ( Ganges--- just south of Saugatuck/Douglas) My mom and dad had a Pinto and we have pictures of it literally buried in the snow, they took alot of pictures of it and still talk about it today.
Love the Snow

Grand Rapids, MI

#41 Jan 28, 2008
I was 7 1/2 at the time. I remember school being cancelled. I also remember going out and playing in the snow. We had a station wagaon and I remember it being totally buried. I remember walking right off the top of the car as my Dad was trying to dig it out. It was so much fun. To be a kid again.

I was telling me 3 year old daughter about it as she played in the snow this weekend. She thought that it would be fun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grand Rapids man robbed at Nunica Rest Stop (Jan '09) 58 min Batch 37 Pain Is ... 7
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 1 hr Buffalo Bull 1,374
Back in Iraq. WMD's? oil? 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 59
Bengazi is back 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 108
Quote of the Day (Jun '08) 5 hr Times are a Changing 2,840
'We Don't Have a Strategy' to Fight ISIS t 6 hr JustA_person 26
Local News Women (Apr '09) 13 hr intothegrv 2,306
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
•••
•••