First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Kevin

United States

#47 Dec 2, 2013
I had VE come to my door and intimidated me to sign up after reading contract. I called and cancelled that was in may it was a couple of days ago got bill. I am always gone from home so I never see bills. This time I was I noticed my bill and still had VE as supplier I cancelled this in may now november called VE and asked why they still on bill they said I never cancelled.
Joe

Temperance, MI

#48 Feb 22, 2014
Just wanted everyone to know I have been a customer of Volunteer Energy for about three years. I own a laundromat and use quite a bit of natural gas. I was shocked and just about had a heart attack when I opened my bill a few days ago! it went from .579 per ccf to a whopping $1.099 per ccf! I called Michigan gas utilities for an explanation and the person on the other end of the phone stated she wasn't surprised by the increase. MGU was at .44 per CCF. I switched back to MGU to supply my gas immediately!
Gas question wrote:
Got a call from Volunteer Energy wanting to provide cheaper natural gas etc... Anybody done this? Got opinions? I typically do not fall for telemarketers but the research on them looked pretty good.
mi dds

Saint Joseph, MI

#49 Feb 24, 2014
Joe from Temperance is right on. I switched my home and office back after I checked with Michigan Gas Utilities (MGU) and found their rates have been lower than Volunteer's for more than the last 6 months! Call 1.800.977.8374, have your acct number handy and tell them you want out. You might want to record the conversation because you are dealing with vermin....
Tim

Jonesville, MI

#50 Mar 10, 2014
My apartment complex gas bill went from $1800 in Jan to $8445 in March, just got the bill, yeah that is not a misprint from .409 per CCF to 1.59 per CCF.
Got some BS from VE about having to pay for my gas to be pumped to Chicago and then to me??
I called MGU and they said "nothing they can do", I said I'm NOT PAYING IT!!
MGU says they pay VE and then charge me so I have to pay or risk shut off. What kind of racket is that?!?!?!
greg

Jerome, MI

#51 Mar 10, 2014
This company is a Rip-Off. They tripled my rate without notice. Be very careful.
John Peel

Grand Haven, MI

#52 Mar 15, 2014
Anyone else out there getting their Natural Gas from Volunteer Energy via Michigan Gas Utilities Corporation? I just received my bill and it is more than double what it was the month before Volunteer Energy raised their rate from $0.5990 per CCF to $1.5990 per CCF. The customer service rep at Michigan Gas Utilities stated that they only charge $0.42 per CCF.
Kathy

Grand Haven, MI

#53 Mar 26, 2014
trueblue wrote:
Volunteer Energy is a good company that is honest and has never cheated me.
They are crooks!!!!!!!!!!
Linda

Rochester, MI

#54 Apr 1, 2014
Everyone your right. This Volunteer Energy is a ripe off. My business has two gas bills billed each month. In 2010 I called Volunteer Energy to switch back to my local gas company. Apparently they only switched one bill over. I didn't realized it until the last couple of months. I couldn't believe my eyes when I received my bill. Wondered why one bill was so high. That's when I realized that one bill was from Volunteer Endrgy and one from local gas company. Volunteer Energy raised my bill by over a 1.50 more than my local gas company. In the last two months I am spending over $5,000.00 more then if I would of been with my local gas company. They were suppose to switch me back in 2010 but didn't. This is a ripoff. I contacted them and they said sorry nothing they can do. I thought they were suppose to be lower than our local gas company. Did I say rip off ?? I have reported them just waiting to see if there is anything I can do. Please don't go with this company. If you haven't had any problems yet. just wait, they will get you sooner or later.
Really

Mount Pleasant, MI

#55 Apr 1, 2014
Linda wrote:
Everyone your right. This Volunteer Energy is a ripe off. My business has two gas bills billed each month. In 2010 I called Volunteer Energy to switch back to my local gas company. Apparently they only switched one bill over. I didn't realized it until the last couple of months. I couldn't believe my eyes when I received my bill. Wondered why one bill was so high. That's when I realized that one bill was from Volunteer Endrgy and one from local gas company. Volunteer Energy raised my bill by over a 1.50 more than my local gas company. In the last two months I am spending over $5,000.00 more then if I would of been with my local gas company. They were suppose to switch me back in 2010 but didn't. This is a ripoff. I contacted them and they said sorry nothing they can do. I thought they were suppose to be lower than our local gas company. Did I say rip off ?? I have reported them just waiting to see if there is anything I can do. Please don't go with this company. If you haven't had any problems yet. just wait, they will get you sooner or later.
I have a problem with your beginning line. How come it took you 3 years to realize that one bill was higher than the other? That means you had at least 2 years of winter months that you paid your gas bills. I agree that VE seems to be a rip off, but some people are just open models for how these companies are able to take advantage.
Jon

Grand Rapids, MI

#56 Apr 1, 2014
Our business was "slammed" by Volunteer Energy telemarketing. Did not realized it until they were charging us $1.399 per CCF. DTE charged my warehouse $.48 per CCT; the same month (March 2014)We were charged $.92 more per CCF. Maybe the "Volunteer Energy Rep" hasn't seen the bills they are sending out for March usage. There was no savings; they are a SCAM. They don't even answer their phones. They have a pre-recorded message and online they have their excuse page with a "complete cancellation form" at the bottom of the page. Run away from these clowns!
VE guy

Hillsdale, MI

#58 Apr 9, 2014
Tim wrote:
My apartment complex gas bill went from $1800 in Jan to $8445 in March, just got the bill, yeah that is not a misprint from .409 per CCF to 1.59 per CCF.
Got some BS from VE about having to pay for my gas to be pumped to Chicago and then to me??
I called MGU and they said "nothing they can do", I said I'm NOT PAYING IT!!
MGU says they pay VE and then charge me so I have to pay or risk shut off. What kind of racket is that?!?!?!
Tim,
I am the only authorized VE rep for Hillsdale County. Who signed you up???

A telemarketer or a salesperson???
Jeanette

Grand Haven, MI

#59 Apr 16, 2014
Stay away. I signed up with and was told they would be cheaper then Michigan Gas Utilities. This past month I was charge $1.59 per use verse $.42 that Michigan Gas would have charged me. My bill was $367. In the time I have lived in my house (over 9 years) my bill has never been over $160. Since Volunteer Energy is not regulated by the government and do not need approval to change their rates, you are stuck paying the rates they charge. Read the fine print and be extremely cautious. From my experience I would suggest you stay away from Volunteer Energy.
Jeff

Matawan, NJ

#60 May 18, 2014
I was with volunteer energy for several years - never really saved any money.
This winter their prices were 3 - 4 times the regulated price of the local gas utility! Why, because they gambled and lost (well they didn't loose, the consumer did)!
Overcharge winter 2014

Ypsilanti, MI

#61 Jul 17, 2014
Things were running along for a while, after signing up, then experienced a massive overcharge in the winter or 2014. Nothing should be that volatile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
welcome to the new black america 4 hr From The Chief 4
pope-a-dope 6 hr bobolinq 1
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 9 hr Go Blue Forever 1,492
Mana s arrest is linked to deadly barbershop sh... 9 hr Go Blue Forever 1
Putting Christ back in Christmas 10 hr bobolinq 1
Lets Chat (Mar '08) Wed Trouser Cough 40,169
Al Sharpton's Marchers in New York City Chant "... Tue Gville Jim 5
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids

Personal Finance