Ken Kolker Reporter

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

He started his work as a correspondent at The Grand Rapids Press in 1979 before moving to The Saginaw News in 1982.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jacob McCandles

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Congratulations on snagging Mr. Kolker. Why the Press let him slip away is beyond me. Perhaps he and Henry Erb can team up and bring to Grand Rapids a new era of investigative reporting -- something a little deeper than front page news about Jessica Simpson having a bad night at a DeVos Place concert. Good luck, Mr. Kolker!

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Ken Kolker is one very good reporter! I'm glad here's here.

Yes, good luck Mr. Kolker!
GRR

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Judged:

Marti from Michigan wrote:
Ken Kolker is one very good reporter! I'm glad here's here.
Yes, good luck Mr. Kolker!
Maybe he is good in the paper, but the first report I saw him do for WOOD was awful. He acted like the last thing he wanted to do was report the news...I seriously thought he might have killed himself as soon as the camera turned off. His hair was all messed up, his tie loosened up and disheveled, his voice and mannerisms were indicitave of deep depression and suicidal ideation. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt based on his experience in newspaper, but he really needs to get his act together if he wants to make the transition from newspaper to on-air reporter.
micky

Northbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Judged:

Too bad he didn't replace Suzanne Hew-Haw..anything would be better than her

“O__o ?”

Grandville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

GRR wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he is good in the paper, but the first report I saw him do for WOOD was awful. He acted like the last thing he wanted to do was report the news...I seriously thought he might have killed himself as soon as the camera turned off. His hair was all messed up, his tie loosened up and disheveled, his voice and mannerisms were indicitave of deep depression and suicidal ideation. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt based on his experience in newspaper, but he really needs to get his act together if he wants to make the transition from newspaper to on-air reporter.
A lot of the WOOD reporters look like that, lol. I caught the early morning news this morning and Terry looked haggard, and Emily Linnert was doing a story out by The Eberhardt Center and she looked like she was dressed in fatigues.

“O__o ?”

Grandville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Judged:

micky wrote:
Too bad he didn't replace Suzanne Hew-Haw..anything would be better than her
I don't know what everyone's problems are with Suzanne Geha. She is a very good reporter, a very nice woman and a fine person overall. She has a big heart and she is doing a great job. Leave her alone. If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all.

Since: Dec 08

Wyoming, Mi

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Judged:

This guy is terrible. His monotone voice and appearance are terrible. Some new reporters are definently needed at WOOD TV!
GRR

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Judged:

<quoted text>
I don't know what everyone's problems are with Suzanne Geha. She is a very good reporter, a very nice woman and a fine person overall.
You are joking, right?
Sarah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

Hey! This guy is new at this station and to TV reporting, don't be so cruel. From what I have seen and what I have heard he is doing a great job at Wood TV 8 and deserves a a lot more than what "GRR" and "Silly Monkey" are saying. I have followed his stories over the years at The Grand Rapids Press and now at Wood, his does remarkable work and really digs into the details. He is why people want the news.
Kasey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

Sarah wrote:
Hey! This guy is new at this station and to TV reporting, don't be so cruel. From what I have seen and what I have heard he is doing a great job at Wood TV 8 and deserves a a lot more than what "GRR" and "Silly Monkey" are saying. I have followed his stories over the years at The Grand Rapids Press and now at Wood, his does remarkable work and really digs into the details. He is why people want the news.
I guess that is one of the great things about our country, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. Personally, I don't know what he wrote in The Press, as I seldom read it. I do agree that he has a monotone voice and not much charisma. Maybe he will improve, or maybe not.
Shelby

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

I agree with what Sarah says he has worked his butt off at both jobs. That was his first time on TV and my guess is that he was a little nervous. So i think all you critics out there should just give him a break and wait to see what great stories he will do next.
Just_My_Opinion

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Judged:

Shelby wrote:
I agree with what Sarah says he has worked his butt off at both jobs. That was his first time on TV and my guess is that he was a little nervous. So i think all you critics out there should just give him a break and wait to see what great stories he will do next.
His first time on TV? I have seen him half a dozen times on air and heard his voice, many times before he was on air. Time will tell. Look at Leon Hendrix, he's been on air there for a year and still stinks. When an on air personality is infront of the camera, they do the best they can, simply their best isn't so great.
Repeat

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2009

Judged:

I know style is important, and I'm sure that will come with time. But the shallow viewers who think that's what it's all about are just that -- shallow viewers. Try considering substance, if you've got the intelligence. Or, you can watch Inside Edition and ET. They don't have much to say, but they're awful pretty and have great inflection.
TJR

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2009

Judged:

To Repeat...I don't think they meant to be shallow. I think it's more that he did good investigative reporting in The Press, and that's where someone with a monotone voice should be, not in front of the camera. If people are looking for monotone, they read The Press or other publications. On the air, people are looking for appearance and pleasant to bring the news. So, I don't think that people are necessarily being mean or shallow, just honest.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2009

Judged:

Suzanne with her up and coming breaking news? Sorry she is a joke, and should have been canned years ago. I would take Larry back in a minute and not miss her at all. I'm back to watching Tom and Channel 3
<quoted text>
I don't know what everyone's problems are with Suzanne Geha. She is a very good reporter, a very nice woman and a fine person overall. She has a big heart and she is doing a great job. Leave her alone. If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all.
Just_My_Opinion

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2009

Judged:

KCGR wrote:
Suzanne with her up and coming breaking news? Sorry she is a joke, and should have been canned years ago. I would take Larry back in a minute and not miss her at all. I'm back to watching Tom and Channel 3
<quoted text>
Just remember that the up and coming new, breaking news and that sort of stuff is not written by the anchors. The editors and producers put it on the teleprompter for them to read. It's not up to the anchors. I'm guessing that every morning and evening Jen and Suzanne are tired of saying, "Economic Emergency" it's just part of the job. I think some behind the scenes people need to be a bit more creative and original!
GRR

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

Sarah wrote:
Just to be clear, my OP stated that I will give him the benefit of the doubt based on his track record in the print media. However, the first time I saw him on TV he WAS terrible. I hope he can improve his on air skills so he can bring his investigative work to television. That being said, it's just a simple fact that some people don't have what it takes to be on camera.
Annonymous

Grand Blanc, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2009

He may not look the greatest on camera, but he's real and I like that. At least he doesn't cake on the makeup and look fake. He may need a bit of time to get used to reporting verbally instead of putting it in ink, but I think he's a great addition to Wood TV 8.

He and his wife worked at The GR Press for years and they are both great people. Both of them were wise to leave newspaper too because it's a dying media.
Somebody

Coopersville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2009

I agree with Annonymous on this one
GRR

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2009

Judged:

Ken's story on yesterday's 5 o'clock newscast was much better. It had a feeling of professional journalism to it, which is rare coming from Wood-TV. I'd say he is becoming more comfortable on camera.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 31 min Go Blue Forever 903
Suspect On The Run Following Robbery At ATM 6 hr Who 3
What about the Malaysian jetliner? 13 hr Jeffry Helms 16
Tea party the AmeicanTaliban 14 hr Phil 40
Does anyone know about the Iowa tribal properties? Sat Jeffry Helms 6
Do you approve of Mary Hollinrake as County Cle... (Feb '12) Apr 18 Dhead 8
See which historic homes will be on the Heritag... Apr 17 Coretta 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••