Why are Christian Reformed people idiots?

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

Comments (Page 6)

Showing posts 101 - 120 of174
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Nov 11

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say "at that particular time", what "time" are you specifically referring to?
Why hello there! I was beginning to wonder when you would show up on here. and as to answer your VERY good qustion, that would the time periods that each of those books in the Bible were written. Because, don't you know that this wasn't written all at the same time? It was written over hundreds of years by quite a few different people. So, "that particular time" refers to when the passages were written.
say no to religion

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

observative one wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I guess you think it it's not fiction, because you clearly do NOT understand it, and it appears you don't really want to understand it as you seem to have two blind eyes to what anyone is saying on here unless it happens to be something you agree with.
Believers don't think, and thinkers don't believe.

The buy-bull is fiction. Bad fiction without evidence to support it's claims. When people understand what the buy-bull is, they stop being christians.

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

say no to religion wrote:
<quoted text>
Believers don't think, and thinkers don't believe.
The buy-bull is fiction. Bad fiction without evidence to support it's claims. When people understand what the buy-bull is, they stop being christians.
You could say that. And I can easily, and confidently say that it could also strengthen what they believe.
Oh, and since you so strongly 'think' that "thinkers don't believe" I thought you should read a quote from a rather famous 'thinker'
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

“Selected Marksman”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

Really wrote:
<quoted text>Wow!And invisible cure and it creates victims?? Well, I guess it's a really good thing you got out then. Being a victim is never a good thing. Too bad you viewed your life back then as being a victim. You are aware, are you not, that there is help for those thoughts? I suggest you seek help.
I have not been a victim for 40 years so I'm well over any need for anything you suggest.
There are places you can go to however, to help you with your disease of religion. I can try to find back the websites if you wish.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

Really wrote:
<quoted text>That is a blanket generalization, Shoeless. There are denominations within the Christian community that are fear based, and yes, even some of the CRC and RCA are fear based. However, not all are by any stretch of the imagination. And I don't know about you, but there were certainly times when I feared my Dad.
They are all fear based unless you can find one that doesn't use the fear of hell as eternal punishment.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

only1me wrote:
<quoted text>
We all fall short of the glory of God. I can't answer what you need to be forgiven for. Only you can answer that. I know quite of bit of what I need to be forgiven for, I am sure there is lot that I am guilty of that I am not even aware of. Saul/Paul stoned Christians in the name of God before he knew Christ and became aware of his sin. Your statement that it is very narrow minded to imply that the Christian way is the only way to "forgiveness" doesn't even make sense. When questioning Christianity we are talking about specifically "Christ's" forgiveness. Christianity is a word that describes those of us who know Christ and accept his gift of forgiveness and grace. And I cannot think of anything more open minded than forgiveness for "all" sins.
You are one of those victims that "Really" is denying exists.
You have been programmed to think you need forgiveness for something. What would that be??
There is no such thing as sin. There is only moral and immoral behavior. Morals came to be through the process of social evolution, not your imaginary god or your religion. This is part of the mind control you have become a victim of.
So if there's another way to your "forgiveness" outside of your christian religion what is it? Or are we back to the christian way is the only way?

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

observative one wrote:
<quoted text>
Why hello there! I was beginning to wonder when you would show up on here. and as to answer your VERY good qustion, that would the time periods that each of those books in the Bible were written. Because, don't you know that this wasn't written all at the same time? It was written over hundreds of years by quite a few different people. So, "that particular time" refers to when the passages were written.
I'm quoting one piece of your post # 75 "I was giving context to the time it was written, and the laws that were in effect at that particular time. At that particular time, it was ILLEGAL to have sex before marriage, and was punishable with death."

So you are saying that at the time periods the bible was written, over hundreds of years, these things you suggested were all illegal and punishable by death?
Are you sure you want to go there? Do you have any historical evidence of these supposed punishments?

I think you need to do some serious reading about the Roman Emperor Constantine and when the bible, as you know it today, was actually "written". Also, you may want to learn about the books that have been taken out of the modern KJV bible.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

observative one wrote:
<quoted text>
You could say that. And I can easily, and confidently say that it could also strengthen what they believe.
Oh, and since you so strongly 'think' that "thinkers don't believe" I thought you should read a quote from a rather famous 'thinker'
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein
"Scientists were rated as great heretics by the church, but they were truly religious men because of their faith in the orderliness of the universe." - Albert Einstein

"I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation. I cannot do this in spite of the fact that mechanistic causality has, to a certain extent, been placed in doubt by modern science.[He was speaking of Quantum Mechanics and the breaking down of determinism.] My religiosity consists in a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit that reveals itself in the little that we, with our weak and transitory understanding, can comprehend of reality. Morality is of the highest importance -- but for us, not for God." - Albert Einstein 'The Human Side', 1954

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm quoting one piece of your post # 75 "I was giving context to the time it was written, and the laws that were in effect at that particular time. At that particular time, it was ILLEGAL to have sex before marriage, and was punishable with death."
So you are saying that at the time periods the bible was written, over hundreds of years, these things you suggested were all illegal and punishable by death?
Are you sure you want to go there? Do you have any historical evidence of these supposed punishments?
I think you need to do some serious reading about the Roman Emperor Constantine and when the bible, as you know it today, was actually "written". Also, you may want to learn about the books that have been taken out of the modern KJV bible.
In some areas of the middle east yes, it was punishable by death to have sex before marriage, the illegal aspect is very much so implied by that fact. And as for historical evidence on this matter, can you provide historical evidence on how nothing became something, referring to how we (as a human race)came into existance, or for that matter how anything came into existance? Answer that for me and I will answer your question for you.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

observative one wrote:
<quoted text>
In some areas of the middle east yes, it was punishable by death to have sex before marriage, the illegal aspect is very much so implied by that fact. And as for historical evidence on this matter, can you provide historical evidence on how nothing became something, referring to how we (as a human race)came into existance, or for that matter how anything came into existance? Answer that for me and I will answer your question for you.
The only "implication" I've seen so far is the writings from the bible which had no precedence as the law of the land until the Roman Empire during the rule of Constantine.
As far as this other "historical evidence" you want, that is an entirely different subject. Let's stay on topic for once.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

observative one wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a couple more...
I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.
-- Albert Einstein

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.
-- Albert Einstein

The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.
-- Albert Einstein
say no to religion

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

observative one wrote:
<quoted text>
Quote-mining has become the front line of the myth believers' arguments, since they don't have the evidence to support their primitive bronze age myths.

However, if you want to do some quote-mining, here are some more from Einstein and what he thought about your ridiculous man-made religion:

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -Einstein

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms." -Einstein

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Einstein

"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts." -Einstein
Really

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not been a victim for 40 years so I'm well over any need for anything you suggest.
There are places you can go to however, to help you with your disease of religion. I can try to find back the websites if you wish.
Thanks but no thanks. I appreciate your offer, but I am quite content with my religion and my faith. You are welcome to join me but you choose not to and that is your choice. We all make choices and all choices have consequences.
Really

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
They are all fear based unless you can find one that doesn't use the fear of hell as eternal punishment.
Mine doesn't use the fear of hell as eternal punishment. I'm quite sure you don't believe that, but it is the case. Your choice, don't you just love free will?

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Really wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks but no thanks. I appreciate your offer, but I am quite content with my religion and my faith. You are welcome to join me but you choose not to and that is your choice. We all make choices and all choices have consequences.
You can't just let go without leaving a closing note that would imply consequences of or to the negative.
How petty, yet interestingly and obviously important to you.
I have no problem with my choices and don't for a second feel your choices are any more beneficial or rewarding than mine.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Really wrote:
<quoted text>Mine doesn't use the fear of hell as eternal punishment. I'm quite sure you don't believe that, but it is the case. Your choice, don't you just love free will?
You have nothing unique to offer me.
Interesting how you would use a subtle reference to your god-being with respect to "free will".
The concept you refer to is good for a laugh at best.
say no to religion

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Really wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks but no thanks. I appreciate your offer, but I am quite content with my religion and my faith. You are welcome to join me but you choose not to and that is your choice. We all make choices and all choices have consequences.
Choices do have consequences.

Choosing to believe a ridiculously childish bronze age mythology abandons reason and independent thought, and is a waste of one's life.
Really

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't just let go without leaving a closing note that would imply consequences of or to the negative.
How petty, yet interestingly and obviously important to you.
I have no problem with my choices and don't for a second feel your choices are any more beneficial or rewarding than mine.
My, my, my. Aren't you just busy ascribing motives to my post. I don't personally care what choices you have made nor do I think my choices are "more beneficial or rewarding" than yours. You seem to be the one suffering from the "you think you are better than me" complex, not me. As for my "all choices have consequences" comment, apparently you didn't learn that as a child? I learned it and not in the context of religion either.
Really

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

say no to religion wrote:
<quoted text>
Choices do have consequences.
Choosing to believe a ridiculously childish bronze age mythology abandons reason and independent thought, and is a waste of one's life.
Again, Arctic, that is your opinion to which you are entitled. I am entitled to mine as well.
Diggs

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

Judged:

You're not going to out argue an atheist on religion because they don't accept the concept of faith, the foundation of religion. An atheist demands scientific proof, which makes perfect sense considering the limits of their parameters.

Religious people as a whole tolerate atheism and leave atheists alone, which is amazing considering 6 billion out of the 7 billion humans in existence practice some form of religion. The truth is, if religion was the threat to atheists they claim it to be they would have been crushed long ago. Instead, an atheist's ability to run about freely nipping at the heels of religion is a wonderful testament to just the opposite of that which they want people to believe.

You guys can continue arguing back and forth with these two atheists if you want, but it's really just better to let them stew in their own anger and fear of the evil Jesus fish people, unless you enjoy arguing. If they choose to demean religion that's their choice and they should be allowed to do so. They have the right to free speech and that allows for them to insult and mock religion all they want. It's only an opinion after all. Their claims that religion is somehow oppressing them or threatening them in any way only fall in the face of a reality that by their mere existence here proves them wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 101 - 120 of174
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

40 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 38 min Who 461
Obama Escaped D.C. To Shoot Pool And Drink Beer... 1 hr Oneal 9
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 1 hr Buffalo Bull 1,230
Local News Women (Apr '09) 2 hr Casual Observer 2,287
social networking - your drug of choice Sat bobolinq 1
Ex-New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin sentenced to 10... Jul 11 Heraldo 3
Obama gives ICE agents in Murrieta stand down o... Jul 9 Dr X 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••