Auto dealers fight for survival

Auto dealers fight for survival

There are 49 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Mar 30, 2009, titled Auto dealers fight for survival. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

The numbers are down. And the news isn't good. But auto dealers like John Leese says they will make it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jason B

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Mar 30, 2009
Well...If you cut the cost down, Have th prouducts people want, and if you WORK WITH THE CUSTOMER they will buy from you. But if you piss the customer off and give them a lot of crap god help you becasue you will close just like WAYLAND CHEVROLET did..
zincmaster

Colorado Springs, CO

#2 Mar 30, 2009
I am hopeful that the car business in this area will start to increase. It can't stay down forever.
Like most economic heartbeats, the cycle will start to beat faster by the end of the 2nd quarter.
Gary

Liverpool, NY

#3 Mar 30, 2009
Boo hoo. It's about time.
Eric

Zeeland, MI

#4 Mar 30, 2009
So basically if you have to take your car to Harvey for service, you might want to bring along some TP in case you have to use the bathroom while you're there. That's just great...very nice place to cut costs sir!

Since: Nov 07

Littleton, CO

#5 Mar 30, 2009
They will have to give the GM cars away. No one is going to buy their vehicles until this is settled. Just wait I think their will be many going out of business sales. GM is done as we knew it ! Obama finally came out and took a Leadership position on this issue. His refusal to throw good money after bad was the best one he has made so far.

“Russian ties?”

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#7 Mar 30, 2009
His decision???
Or Commander in cheif Peolsi's decision!

I wonder if Obama will take his private jet to the G-20 summit?

That wouldnt look good now would it!
Ben

Royal Oak, MI

#8 Mar 30, 2009
Pelosi is like a cross between spock and a klingon (sp?)
bobby

United States

#9 Mar 30, 2009
mike kelly had it coming he is a real jerk
holland

United States

#10 Mar 30, 2009
I don't think they are as hungry as they claim to be. I have been half heartedly looking @ replacing an 02 Mazda w less than 40k miles on it. Would like another Subie w awd. Prices on late model Tribecas & Outbacks are astronomical @ local dealer here. Think I'll be stickin w what I already have. They have models on the lot for months @ a time. Wonder if they're running a car lot or a museum sometimes. At those prices & this economy I can see why, too.
harry

United States

#11 Mar 30, 2009
wayland chevy workers were all drunks
1bob

Mount Pleasant, MI

#13 Mar 30, 2009
The party's over, it will never be the same, you don't need 3 models of the same car and 15 dealerships selling the same product and spending precious co-op dollars on advertising in one town. How many Honda and Toyota dealerships are in town? That model works, Gm and Chrysler's hasn't for a long time and the tax payer isn't going to subsidise it. The kiss of death was 30 and out and zero innovation from management. Hold on to your hat it is only going to get worst.Com panies with poor management and greedy unions go out of business.
violence with violence

Salt Lake City, UT

#14 Mar 31, 2009
As far as GM & Chrysler,

nationofmi wrote:
DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH.
If no one read the news, the federal Govt announced today they were coving all GM and Chrysler warrentees. That's why America is where it is. Eveyone is mentally challenged. Duh! That means they plan on GM and Chrysler failing and filing Bankrupsy now. That means all parts, steel, glass suppliers are unemployed too. Brace yourselves. Its getting way worse!

I agree!
Dad

Battle Creek, MI

#15 Mar 31, 2009
GM= Government Motors
BOA=Bank owned (by) America
and I'll swipe the other guys idea
OBAMA= One Big As$ Mistake America
Welcome to the United Social States
Dad

Battle Creek, MI

#16 Mar 31, 2009
As for Chrysler Fiat merger...That sure put Chrysler in a bad spot for negotiations. 30 days or you toss in the towel? Fiat sure got the upper hand on this one.
SayItAintSo

Three Rivers, MI

#17 Mar 31, 2009
I recently bought a new mini van for my wife and all I saw on the car lots was attitude from cocky dealers like "You Gotta Buy It From US !"
We bought a Dodge Grand Caravan and my wife loves it.
We saw the price at one dealership and they would hardly budge, like the price couldn't go any lower.
My wife told them "When you get hungry, call us !"
We found what we wanted, and then got the price down another $4000 on top of the "Deal" they had in place.
One dealer was such a smart ass, that I told them before I would buy from them I would drive to Flordia and find the dealer that was doing the Buy One, Get One FREE deal!
A bad sales day is when NO ONE comes in to buy !
On the Saturday that we bought our van, the lot was full of people looking. The people who test drove the van we bought before us, came back an hour later and decided to buy it, AFTER we had already bought it.
And they were mad at us for buying it and getting the price down even more !
Use the internet and let your fingers do the walking for you, and COMPARE PRICES and when you can....PAY CASH !
By the way, we just knocked down the price on our new house another $55,000 after their Lowest Deal !
Ellen

Montague, MI

#18 Mar 31, 2009
SayItAintSo wrote:
I recently bought a new mini van for my wife and all I saw on the car lots was attitude from cocky dealers like "You Gotta Buy It From US !"
We bought a Dodge Grand Caravan and my wife loves it.
We saw the price at one dealership and they would hardly budge, like the price couldn't go any lower.
My wife told them "When you get hungry, call us !"
We found what we wanted, and then got the price down another $4000 on top of the "Deal" they had in place.
One dealer was such a smart ****, that I told them before I would buy from them I would drive to Flordia and find the dealer that was doing the Buy One, Get One FREE deal!
A bad sales day is when NO ONE comes in to buy !
On the Saturday that we bought our van, the lot was full of people looking. The people who test drove the van we bought before us, came back an hour later and decided to buy it, AFTER we had already bought it.
And they were mad at us for buying it and getting the price down even more !
Use the internet and let your fingers do the walking for you, and COMPARE PRICES and when you can....PAY CASH !
By the way, we just knocked down the price on our new house another $55,000 after their Lowest Deal !
Agrees! I bought a new Ford Fusion Hybrid yesterday. It stickered for $31,400, they dropped the price to $26,800. I also get (A) plan, which took another $3800 off and put $9500 down for 24 mths.
silverbird

Troy, MI

#19 Mar 31, 2009
GOOD- If they can offer thousand of dollars off to bring customers in now, the why in the world didn't they lower the car prices from the beginning. GREED once again. They could have and didn't. so let them close until they can make auto sales affordable once again. Welcome to the unemployment line by your own actions of Greed
give me a break

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 Mar 31, 2009
Mad Taxpayer wrote:
They will have to give the GM cars away. No one is going to buy their vehicles until this is settled. Just wait I think their will be many going out of business sales. GM is done as we knew it ! Obama finally came out and took a Leadership position on this issue. His refusal to throw good money after bad was the best one he has made so far.
As usual you don't have a clue, the great one didn't come thru, he don't have any idea how to build a car, he just want's to have control of everything he can get his hands on. If I had to guess your one of the low income people that think no one should be alowed to get more than you, and instead of doing it on your own you want the great Obama to do it for you.
Trash Man

Lansing, MI

#21 Mar 31, 2009
When ya gotta go, ya gotta go. I'm just blown away!
my thoughts

Holland, MI

#22 Mar 31, 2009
Buy Ford,who knows how to manage their Co.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 2 hr Morningwood 2,939
News Universal Forest Products closes five plants, p... (Jan '08) 9 hr ACHTUNG AIPAC 21
News Michigan lawmaker proposes bill banning Sharia Law Jun 18 Muzzie confusion 12
Quote of the Day (Feb '08) Jun 16 Kelly Joanne Cannon 479
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Jun 16 A Commenter 1,176
The Geek Group Jun 15 Redrider87 3
News Teen shot by police on probation for earlier sh... May 31 About time 1

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages