Mecosta County parents sentenced in d...

Mecosta County parents sentenced in death of son

There are 29 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from May 27, 2008, titled Mecosta County parents sentenced in death of son. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Two Mecosta County parents have been sentenced to community service and probation for the death of their infant son.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
emmie

Smithfield, UT

#1 May 27, 2008
not harsh enough
Sandra

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 May 27, 2008
WHAT??????? Community service and probation????? They must have had a really good lawyer!!!
LHG

United States

#3 May 27, 2008
AND other charges got dropped??!! That kid's life sure wasn't worth much to our justice system!!!
Matt

Secaucus, NJ

#4 May 27, 2008
ARE YOU KIDDING!?!? A child dies because of ignorant parents and they get 400 hours of community service, 3 years of probation, and drug charges dropped? Like to know which judge agreed to that...
Harley

Zeeland, MI

#5 May 27, 2008
OMG- A childs life isn't worth much anymore is it???????? Wow this judge needs to go! This is almost as bad as the guy who set his girlfriend on fire. Must be the same stupid Judge!
durr

United States

#7 May 28, 2008
a slap on the wrist.. obviously they were too busy smoking pot then watching there kid

Since: Oct 07

Big Rapids, MI

#8 May 28, 2008
This was a hard case in which no one was going to win, regardless of what verdict was handed down to the parents.

One child is dead, and a surviving sibling must deal with the consequences of it. I would hope that more concern would be shown for that child's well being, than to worry about what penalty the parents got out of it.
flylady500

Okemos, MI

#9 May 28, 2008
BR Bean Counter wrote:
This was a hard case in which no one was going to win, regardless of what verdict was handed down to the parents.
One child is dead, and a surviving sibling must deal with the consequences of it. I would hope that more concern would be shown for that child's well being, than to worry about what penalty the parents got out of it.
I am concerned about that surviving sibling. I'm concerned that mom and dad will continue to get high and ignore another child. At the VERY LEAST MANDATORY drug counseling should have been added to that sentence. Not only are there no criminal consequences for the drug charge, but it's as if the justice system is saying that "it's OK" as they turn their eyes away from the root of the problem!

Had the drug charge remained, it would have had a stiffer penalty than what the received for the death of their child.

This is our justice system run amok!
Keith

AOL

#10 May 28, 2008
You don't know the circumstances of their case. Their employer had them both on third shift, they could only afford daycare for the time they were working. They weren't smoking pot when they lost their son, they were sleeping due to the hours they work. If you think this is a slap on the wrist then the elderly man who lost his granchild in the drowning should be charged with manslaughter. Then there's the man from Muskegon who lost his daughter and neice in a swimming pool while he was sleeping in the basement and he was unemployed and he got the same sentence as the Harvey's. You shouldn't judge people until you have all the facts, because one day you could be the one on the other side of the law.

Big Rapids, MI

#11 May 28, 2008
flylady500 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am concerned about that surviving sibling. I'm concerned that mom and dad will continue to get high and ignore another child. At the VERY LEAST MANDATORY drug counseling should have been added to that sentence. Not only are there no criminal consequences for the drug charge, but it's as if the justice system is saying that "it's OK" as they turn their eyes away from the root of the problem!
Had the drug charge remained, it would have had a stiffer penalty than what the received for the death of their child.
This is our justice system run amok!
The parents lost custody rights to that child. As they probably should have. But the surviving child suffers. Go find the archived story.

“OH what fun!!”

Since: Feb 08

Grand Rapids

#12 May 28, 2008
What about mandating Parental Classes!! I know kids are quick and they can be momentarily out of sight but as for parents sleeping while their child is awake is not acceptable!!
If they could not afford day care how could they buy pot!! There are other alternatives when you need sleep and your kids need watched after. Try a local teenager to watch them in your home for 4 hours and parents take turns sleeping the rest of the day?? I don't get it!!
hope

United States

#13 May 30, 2008
the only thing that I have to say is what if it were one of you in their shoes and people where slamming you constintly saying that you don't deserve your other child , I think these parent's have suffered enough, this was an accident and nobody can do or say anything that would change what happened , plus I think they deserve their child back , he needs to be with his parents.
Gail in Wyoming

Canton, MI

#14 May 30, 2008
You can't be sleeping with a toddler running around in the house. That's just asking for trouble.

I do agree with My opinion 101, though. If they could afford pot, they can afford someone to come in and watch their kids. There are other alternatives, too. You can alternate sleeping, with one sleeping and the other watching the kids, then the other one can get some sleep.

Also, where were family and friends--maybe someone from church? You just do what you have to do when you have children and work.

Since: Aug 07

white cloud

#15 May 30, 2008
This is wrong! These a holes need to be locked up and the key thrown away. They should have gotten life! They more less took a life!They also need to lose all rights to the other children. And they should be made to get Fixed so they cant have any more!
A Mom Who Is Appalled

Littleton, CO

#16 May 30, 2008
I am appalled at our justice system. These no good losers can kill their child and get a slap on the hand. I have a special needs son that did not sleep but a few hours a night for 12 years and he is still alive. Why? Because I cared enough to stay up and not get the sleep that I needed to make sure my kid was safe. I love my child enough not to do drugs. I had to go to work many a days without the benefit of sleep and raise other children at the same time but I did it because they are my responsibility. I t was not my sons fault he was born with a disability nor my other childrens fault nor my employers nor my own but it was my resonsibility to make sure he was loved and safe and by God he was.
These people were just lazy druggies who didn't want to be bothered with taking on the full responsibility of raising a child. They should both get life in prison or better yet the death penalty. They are only going to go get high and have another child that they will not raise properly. Sick! Just really sick that these people are only getting the light sentence that they did. Our justice system needs to start doing something about people like this.
hope

United States

#17 May 31, 2008
You guys don't know these people they are good kind hearted humans who loved their kids , yes they smokpot but who don't exept for these churchy people if you ask me you are all the a holes
Gail in Wyoming

Canton, MI

#18 May 31, 2008
hope wrote:
You guys don't know these people they are good kind hearted humans who loved their kids , yes they smokpot but who don't exept for these churchy people if you ask me you are all the a holes
Wow! What's with you? THey may be kind hearted people, but they made a terrible choice that resulted in the death of one of their children, and that can not be rectified.

When children die, people get emotional when expressing their opinions, and your statement about "churchy people" was uncalled for. There are plenty of people who do not smoke pot or do drugs.

I have a question for you. Where were you when they needed help with those children so they could get some sleep?

out in the sticks

#19 May 31, 2008
Unbelievable! I agree with the first post....not near harsh enough! At least the child will not have to suffer a lifetime of negligence from these parents. How utterly sad.
jaden roze

Layton, UT

#20 May 31, 2008
hope wrote:
the only thing that I have to say is what if it were one of you in their shoes and people where slamming you constintly saying that you don't deserve your other child , I think these parent's have suffered enough, this was an accident and nobody can do or say anything that would change what happened , plus I think they deserve their child back , he needs to be with his parents.
Well first thing I have to say is I wouldn't be walking in there shoes because I watch my kids! There is no reason sleep or anything that should leave a baby unsupervised. I worked 3rd shift to come home two two babies and have them take a nap with mommy get like 3 hrs of sleep (broken up throught the day) and go back to work. It sucks but as parents you do what you have to. Maybe it's time to look for new employment. I now have four kids and do daycare from home. There are always options. I feel for the other child but if they couldn't watch them before what makes now different? What did they say the magic words and now they found a sitter that they couldn't afford before? What a couple $ an hour was too much to pay for their child's life!
jaden roze

Layton, UT

#21 May 31, 2008
hope wrote:
Who don't smoke pot are you for real? I have never smoked it and I don't go to church think I've been there twice when I was little. See some people unlike you don't feel drugs have to be a part of their life. Some people think their jobs, a home, their children, family things like that are more important.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 19 hr WMNewsFan 3,124
Woman charged with raping dog Dec 5 Oracle 1
Quote of the Day (Feb '08) Nov 29 Kelly Joanne Cannon 485
News 'Okay to be White' signs popping up in Grand Haven Nov 27 Sad Bastard 4
boycott alabama now (Dec '08) Nov 26 Sattva Virginius 291
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Nov 26 Coachman47 1,192
News Holland's Hispanic population growing (May '08) Nov 21 District 1 400

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages