One person dead in Allegan motorcycle...

One person dead in Allegan motorcycle accident

There are 119 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Oct 12, 2008, titled One person dead in Allegan motorcycle accident. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

One person is dead after a motorcyclist was hit by a car in northern Allegan county on Sunday afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
4 Justice

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Oct 12, 2008
Prayers go out to the victims and familys in this accident.
chili cooker

Salt Lake City, UT

#3 Oct 12, 2008
I saw this accident after the fact. Bad news. I hope the survivor is OK. Prayers for the loss of a loved one.
what

Salt Lake City, UT

#5 Oct 12, 2008
how do you know it was the car driver's fault? it does not say that anywhere in the story. i agree that you need to be extra careful around motorcyclists, but it doesn't say the girl driving the car was at fault. not yet anyways. hopefully they'll update the story with more info later on.
Just Me

Kalamazoo, MI

#6 Oct 12, 2008
El Barracho wrote:
I am losing to many of my fellow riders to incompetent fools. I am so sick of seeing people on their cell phones when they're driving, most of them can't even drive without distractions.
If you're going to drive, then drive. Don't **** with your cell phone or play with your navigation system. If you're going to turn or change lanes, use your turn signal. Oh, and stay the fu<k off my rear tire.
Well said doesn't say enough. My husband was in a serious accident a few months ago because a driver of a SUV was talking on his cell, eating a hamburger and rear ended my husband, who was thrown 50 feet
JYD

Middleville, MI

#7 Oct 12, 2008
The driver of the car probably just barely stopped and pulled out into the path of the motorcyclist. That corner is bad and it's hard to see because of the corn that grows on the corner. I'm not making excuses for the driver of the car, I agree that too many times drivers are not paying attention to what they are supposed to be doing which is WATCHING THE ROAD. I have a friend that got paralyzed because a car pulled in front of him (on his motorcycle)several years ago at that same intersection.
A Sister Rider

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Oct 12, 2008
I heard about this accident while gassing up by bike to go riding with some friends on a beautiful sunny October day....

Yet another rider gone due to the foolish actions of another...

I do know this much,(from my daughter in law who came upon the accident)while the paramedics were administering CPR to one of the accident victims, the driver of the car was jumping up and down crying and screaming about the damage to her car. No concern for the victims on the bike and the life she had just cut short.I would gladly have gone to jail for beating her senseless.

If the guy on the bike was traveling Northbound on 58th St. She most likely pulled out in front of him.
It's my hope that she be prosecuted for negligent homicide.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the fallen rider and his passenger. Hopefully the passenger recovers from her injuries.
gary

United States

#9 Oct 12, 2008
El Barracho wrote:
I am losing to many of my fellow riders to incompetent fools. I am so sick of seeing people on their cell phones when they're driving, most of them can't even drive without distractions.
If you're going to drive, then drive. Don't **** with your cell phone or play with your navigation system. If you're going to turn or change lanes, use your turn signal. Oh, and stay the fu<k off my rear tire.
Well I'm tired of seeing you crotch rocket riding jerks going down my road at 100 mph
LRW

Seneca, SC

#10 Oct 12, 2008
There was another motorcyclist killed a year or two ago at that same intersection- I was waiting to pull out of our neighborhood and saw the motorcycle go by and by and I remember thinking it wasn't very visible. By the time I got to the intersection it was over. I'm glad my husband gave up his bike.
lllbbbiikbkbk

Aurora, CO

#11 Oct 12, 2008
More likey the driver is at vault ...once we get a ll the details

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#12 Oct 12, 2008
I was out riding both yesterday and today and it was sheer madness. You can certainly tell it's only a few days until a full moon. I was pulled out in front of, cut off and nearly run off the road dozens of time the last two days. I was even flipped off by a driver who I flashed my high beams at who pulled out right in front of me and I had to lay hard on the brakes. Those of us who ride are used to inconsiderate car and SUV drivers (SUV Drivers seem to be especially bad) but it was worse the last two days than it has been all summer. Come on people, is the 20 seconds you might save by waiting for me to pass before you turn really worth killing me over?

I'm sorry to lose a fellow rider and I hope the woman who was injured makes a full recovery. My condolences to the family.

“Be your own hero.”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#13 Oct 12, 2008
With all these motorcyclists getting injured and killed, why do people actually choose to ride motorcycles?

You know you're harder for people to see and more likely to die if you get hit. Seriously, a raccoon can do you in.

I'm offering no excuse for those car drivers who don't pay full attention to the road, but I just can't wrap my mind around the choice to ride a motorcycle when you up your odds for serious injury by so much.

Gas mileage? My car gets close to 40 mpg, so you're not gaining much, if anything.

Insurance savings? Nope, I checked, and it appears costlier most of the time.

So it's not money...what is it?
Josh

United States

#14 Oct 12, 2008
The driver is a relative of mine and the police are saying that the driver was not at fault. Now you can blame someone else
Tim

United States

#15 Oct 12, 2008
Offering My Truth wrote:
With all these motorcyclists getting injured and killed, why do people actually choose to ride motorcycles?
You know you're harder for people to see and more likely to die if you get hit. Seriously, a raccoon can do you in.
I'm offering no excuse for those car drivers who don't pay full attention to the road, but I just can't wrap my mind around the choice to ride a motorcycle when you up your odds for serious injury by so much.
Gas mileage? My car gets close to 40 mpg, so you're not gaining much, if anything.
I almost got a motorcycle to help save gas but my wife didn't want me to. After thinking about it I wondered if saving money was worth the possibilty of being killed. Needless to say, I dd not get the bike
Bryan

Grand Rapids, MI

#16 Oct 12, 2008
Offering My Truth wrote:
if you never rode one you would never understand why we do it.
A Sister Rider

Grand Rapids, MI

#17 Oct 12, 2008
You'll never understand if you don't ride.... and no one is asking you too. Every rider our there knows and understands the risk associated with riding.

All we're asking is that you watch out for us while you're on the road.

Most of us riders out there are not out there going 100 MPH down your streets.

We're obeying the traffic laws and riding with more awareness of our surroundings than the average person in a motor vehicle. We have to.

Unfortunately, far too many of us get taken out by the motor vehicle operator who hastily pulls directly out in front us on a busy two lane road. This accident has upset me tremendously.

The actions of the driver of the car are unforgivable.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#18 Oct 12, 2008
Offering My Truth wrote:
If you don't ride, I couldn't possibly explain to you why we ride. It's certainly not money or gas mileage, it's and experience and a life-style. Think of a motorcycle as the ultimate convertible. Motorcycles have been around nearly as long as cars and we have the same rights on the road that any other type of vehicle. I've been riding for 30 years now and I've definitely noticed a change in the behavior of car drivers. They are in much more of a hurry, much more distracted and much less considerate than they used to be. It's the car or SUV driver's responsibility to follow the law, although most of us who ride have learned to assume that they won't.
A Sister Rider

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Oct 12, 2008
Sorry Josh. Not buying it.

Care to explain your relative's actions at the accident scene? Tell me why I should have an ounce of compassion for her.....
jgh

Hendersonville, TN

#20 Oct 12, 2008
El Barracho wrote:
I agree... You shouldn't use your cell phone while riding your motorcycle!...
Boog

Bangor, WI

#21 Oct 12, 2008
Offering My Truth wrote:
Why do people bungee jump, jump out of planes and ride horses. If we have to explain you wouldn't understand.
My prayers to the fallen biker and his passanger.
jgh

Hendersonville, TN

#22 Oct 12, 2008
A Sister Rider wrote:
Sorry Josh. Not buying it.
Care to explain your relative's actions at the accident scene? Tell me why I should have an ounce of compassion for her.....
You're an idiot!... You don't even know the facts!... If your brains are so quick to point guilt without knowing the facts, perhaps YOU shouldn't be driving a motorcycle.... go play at McDonalds Playland where you won't hurt yourself ... or someone else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
republican farce must stop . . . it's over GOP 7 hr Idea Maker 2
News Book about boy in dress causes stir at Michigan... 7 hr Idea Maker 24
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 8 hr Idea Maker 1,070
Ladies - Make $$ w/ your feet (Jan '15) 21 hr sexylexy1414 11
Hot Sauce In Her Bag Swag! Sun District 1 22
Americans need not apply Sun Idea Maker 12
Local News Women (Apr '09) May 21 john6113 2,628
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages