Railroads gain work as truckers struggle

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

One of Michigan's newest short-line railroads is getting a lot more inquiries from shippers, even as some trucking companies here struggle to stay alive.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 55 of55
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Police Assault! ”

Since: Mar 08

Edmond, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

As horrible as this sounds, you can have state owned rails. This occurred next to our property between Oklahoma City and Tulsa when the B & N merged with the A, T & Santa Fe. They had (2) lines between the (2) cities, so they gave one to the state. Amtrak was figuring on using it.

I really enjoy the White Pine Trail, and would hate to give it up. Some of those railways in Chicago run in medians that look extremely narrow.(I'd say let’s give up those first – LOL) But, on a serious note, I would be pleased to utilize a well run public transportation system. Parking on Michigan Ave in the loop had been running $20/day with a long term contract. That alone is a lot of train fares. The other day, in Halifax, I paid $3 / hour - ouch. I couldn't really enjoy the waterfront

I’ll ride a train. No one will steal it dent it, or charge you for parking it.

Since: Oct 07

Grand Blanc, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

durr wrote:
<quoted text>The news try looking into candidates before you vote for them BUSHLOVER
Prove he owns an oil company, or shut up and move on.

I don't love Bush, go ahead and vote for Obama or Clinton and see what happens.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2008

MustangDan2112 wrote:
As horrible as this sounds, you can have state owned rails. This occurred next to our property between Oklahoma City and Tulsa when the B & N merged with the A, T & Santa Fe. They had (2) lines between the (2) cities, so they gave one to the state. Amtrak was figuring on using it.
I really enjoy the White Pine Trail, and would hate to give it up. Some of those railways in Chicago run in medians that look extremely narrow.(I'd say let’s give up those first – LOL) But, on a serious note, I would be pleased to utilize a well run public transportation system. Parking on Michigan Ave in the loop had been running $20/day with a long term contract. That alone is a lot of train fares. The other day, in Halifax, I paid $3 / hour - ouch. I couldn't really enjoy the waterfront
I’ll ride a train. No one will steal it dent it, or charge you for parking it.
Funnny think you mention the medians. I went up north to a friend of mine's cabin this week. The White Pine trail goes right through the closet town (Tustin). We could easily have taken the train up there. And on the way home we got to talking about why couldn't you put rail lines in the median of freeways? 90% of the time there is enough room.

“Police Assault! ”

Edmond, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2008

Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>Funnny think you mention the medians. I went up north to a friend of mine's cabin this week. The White Pine trail goes right through the closet town (Tustin). We could easily have taken the train up there. And on the way home we got to talking about why couldn't you put rail lines in the median of freeways? 90% of the time there is enough room.
Enough room? Have you seen those trains out near O’Hare Airport? They put ‘em in the median whether there’s room or not – LOL.

I agree. We could do much better. I’ll ride my bike to Tustin.– so let’s keep the trail.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

MustangDan2112 wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough room? Have you seen those trains out near O’Hare Airport? They put ‘em in the median whether there’s room or not – LOL.
I agree. We could do much better. I’ll ride my bike to Tustin.– so let’s keep the trail.
It's interesting to me that almost all those small towns have old rail stations/depots. They aren't that old. I don't know when that rail line was last used but I'll bet it was in service well past WWII.

“Disgruntled ”

Since: Apr 08

Wyoming MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>Funnny think you mention the medians. I went up north to a friend of mine's cabin this week. The White Pine trail goes right through the closet town (Tustin). We could easily have taken the train up there. And on the way home we got to talking about why couldn't you put rail lines in the median of freeways? 90% of the time there is enough room.
Makes too much sense for one thing!!!!
On the news last night they talked about how mass transit nationwide is beginning to take off, so much so that there are shortages occurring already.

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

The most cost effective way to put in a commuter line is using existing rails, preferably a line that has had a severe drop in freight business. The idea of putting them in the median is a good one, but would be very costly, as they would have to install the complete roadbed first, complete with all the overpasses that the freeway has plus overpasses over the freeway ramps. There would be some savings over sharing a line with freight as then they could use lighter weight equipment due to the difference in strength requirements between the two.

“Police Assault! ”

Edmond, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

Gentle Taz wrote:
The most cost effective way to put in a commuter line is using existing rails, preferably a line that has had a severe drop in freight business. The idea of putting them in the median is a good one, but would be very costly, as they would have to install the complete roadbed first, complete with all the overpasses that the freeway has plus overpasses over the freeway ramps. There would be some savings over sharing a line with freight as then they could use lighter weight equipment due to the difference in strength requirements between the two.
Yes, but people are most likely to live near an interstate route to get to work. And, in Rockford, we have no rail anywhere near us (except the Lionel in my living room).

A light rail system sounds good and cost effective. Construction might seem costly, but think of the many full size pick-ups travelling from Sand Lake to Gotham City round trip with fuel costs alone at $18 each per day. THAT is costly, and there is no return on that investment.

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

MustangDan2112 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but people are most likely to live near an interstate route to get to work. And, in Rockford, we have no rail anywhere near us (except the Lionel in my living room).
A light rail system sounds good and cost effective. Construction might seem costly, but think of the many full size pick-ups travelling from Sand Lake to Gotham City round trip with fuel costs alone at $18 each per day. THAT is costly, and there is no return on that investment.
I agree. I would love to see a passenger rail network set up in Michigan. The only reason that I pointed out the diifference in cost of implementation is that there is a large difference in that cost which would make a difference in how the taxpayers look at it. Short term, using the existing lines shared with freight service would be the lowest cost. However, long term, the light rail option would be better as operating costs would be lower. I would rather see the light rail option implemented.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

MustangDan2112 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's my point about what we have done in the last 20 or 30 years with this whole "Rails to Trails" nonsense. You used to have rail right in your back yard in Rockford. I don't know the legalities or property issues involved with old railroad right-of-ways but IMHO it should be "Trails to Rails".

“Police Assault! ”

Edmond, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>That's my point about what we have done in the last 20 or 30 years with this whole "Rails to Trails" nonsense. You used to have rail right in your back yard in Rockford. I don't know the legalities or property issues involved with old railroad right-of-ways but IMHO it should be "Trails to Rails".
Right on man!

I have admired the state of Michigan in maintaining this as a right of way, even though property owners adjacent to the R/W were disappointed in not having it “given” to them instead. With the state keeping the properties intact, maybe there is hope for trails to rails.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

MustangDan2112 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on man!
I have admired the state of Michigan in maintaining this as a right of way, even though property owners adjacent to the R/W were disappointed in not having it “given” to them instead. With the state keeping the properties intact, maybe there is hope for trails to rails.
That's interesting. I didn't know who really had ownership of those RR right-of-ways once they went to trails. I guess if the state owns that property then the state could do whatever they want with it. I can already hear the screams from property owners though... "I don't want a train running in my backyard!".

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2008

Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>That's interesting. I didn't know who really had ownership of those RR right-of-ways once they went to trails. I guess if the state owns that property then the state could do whatever they want with it. I can already hear the screams from property owners though... "I don't want a train running in my backyard!".
The ownership of the old roadbeds varies, depending on how it was handled at the time. The only thing that's constant with most is that a railroad no longer owns it. In some cases the state took it over, in some the county, and, I believe, in some it might even be the township, plus some went to the adjacent property owners and some to various authorities.
The NIMBY reaction has sometimes been a hindrance to developing them as trails, but the same people would also fight a return to rail use. They want all the benefits of our modern society such as cell phone towers as long as it's not in their backyard.
Durr

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2008

Mark is blown away wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove he owns an oil company, or shut up and move on.
I don't love Bush, go ahead and vote for Obama or Clinton and see what happens.
why don't you google it smart a$$ I dont have anything to prove to you and quite honestly all of the candidates are scum I would rather see Arnold Swarzenegger in there at least he is a badA$$

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2008

Durr wrote:
<quoted text>why don't you google it smart a$$ I dont have anything to prove to you and quite honestly all of the candidates are scum I would rather see Arnold Swarzenegger in there at least he is a badA$$
No, you would rather stir up trouble than to actually prove anything. Much easier isn't it?

Too bad for you that Arnold can't run. It's against the Constitution.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 55 of55
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

24 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Tea party the AmeicanTaliban 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 16
See which historic homes will be on the Heritag... 7 hr Coretta 1
Get Ready To Pay More For Food. 14 hr Phil 33
sochi russian for sucker!! 14 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 11
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Thu Another Observer 921
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Thu Go Blue Forever 895
Sebelius botches farewell speech Wed Batch 37 Pain Is Good 30
•••
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••