Railroads gain work as truckers struggle

Railroads gain work as truckers struggle

There are 55 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from May 26, 2008, titled Railroads gain work as truckers struggle. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

One of Michigan's newest short-line railroads is getting a lot more inquiries from shippers, even as some trucking companies here struggle to stay alive.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Raymond

Syracuse, NY

#1 May 26, 2008
This is a very good development which will make the roads safer for everyone. There are far too many trucks on the road and far too many incompetent truck drivers as witnessed by the growing number of truck crashes and rollovers.
durr

Milan, MI

#2 May 26, 2008
Not to mention when you go to pass a semi on the highway they like to swerve to left and make you hit that annoying rumble strip... serves them right I hate truckers when they do that
durr

Milan, MI

#4 May 26, 2008
Bush Robbin the Hood LOL Steals from the poor and gives to Rich... couldn't any closer to the truth consider he owns an oil company and all of our gas we buy is funding Al Queida terrorists... there is a local gas station run by (towel Heads) called Jet Fuel .. I honestly believe they named it that because the gas you buy from there the money goes to put fuel in the terrorists jets
durr

Milan, MI

#5 May 26, 2008
(towel) t-o-w-e-l.. wow Wzzm you ban normal words what as-ses

“Police Assault! ”

Since: Mar 08

Edmond, OK

#6 May 26, 2008
Dig it! Maybe I can make some money hauling with my Lionel LOL

“welcome to wherever we are!”

Since: May 08

sparta

#7 May 26, 2008
Raymond wrote:
This is a very good development which will make the roads safer for everyone. There are far too many trucks on the road and far too many incompetent truck drivers as witnessed by the growing number of truck crashes and rollovers.
YEAH, it's always a very good development when people are out of work and have to live on unemployment and welfare that we ALL pay for with OUR TAXES.

HELLO....
It's people with attitudes like YOURS that is the reason our total economy is CRAP.

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#8 May 26, 2008
Rairoad business has been growing for quite a few years, leading to more and more making major investments in their infrastructure. Rail is much more efficient from a fuel consumption standpoint than trucks, which is now becoming more obvious to shippers.

Also, every ton of freight that is moved to the rails from the highways helps reduce congestion on the highways, which is becoming more and more apparent, especially around large cities, where passenger rail is looking more and more attractive as the cost of expanding highways increases.
Adam Geldersma

United States

#10 May 26, 2008
boy this makes sense wrote:
<quoted text>
It's people with attitudes like YOURS that is the reason our total economy is CRAP.
-buzzer-
FED UP

United States

#11 May 26, 2008
I can see where there would be a huge difference in operating cost compared to semi-trucks. I was watching the history chanel last week, they had a story about the history of the freight train, and they compared the efficency of trains and semis in term fuel economy. A freight train, beleive it or not a freight train can travel nearly 200 miles on a gallon of diesl fuel, a fully loaded semi only gets 8 to 10 miles to a gallon. Now you tell me who goind to come out on top because of the high cost of diesl fuel.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#12 May 26, 2008
Ok.. I'll bite..

How are stores going to get their produts from the trains to their locations?

hmmmm.. could it be.. TRUCKS?!?! <gasp!>

As for the 'incompetent truckers', what about the incompetent CAR drivers???? What about the drivers who think semi's can stop on a dime and cut them off to slam on their brakes and turn? What about the cars that tailgate while speeding down the highway.. swerving from lane to lane? What about the man who is reading the paper or shaving? What about the woman who is talking on the phone and putting on her makeup?

OH I forgot.. those are the SAFE drivers. It's always a trucker's fault!

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

#13 May 26, 2008
neecer wrote:
Ok.. I'll bite..
How are stores going to get their produts from the trains to their locations?
hmmmm.. could it be.. TRUCKS?!?! <gasp!>
As for the 'incompetent truckers', what about the incompetent CAR drivers???? What about the drivers who think semi's can stop on a dime and cut them off to slam on their brakes and turn? What about the cars that tailgate while speeding down the highway.. swerving from lane to lane? What about the man who is reading the paper or shaving? What about the woman who is talking on the phone and putting on her makeup?
OH I forgot.. those are the SAFE drivers. It's always a trucker's fault!
I disagree on the point of truck drivers being incompetent. Granted, there are some bad apples there as is true with cars.

To me, part of the problems that crop up where trucks are concerned (in Michigan anyway) is the desparate speed limits. The 15 mph difference between truck and car speed limits does not help. However, most car drivers can deal with that just fine as they realize that the world is not going to end if they get slowed down for a few minutes by a truck. Of course, this is amplified when a truck pulls out and passes another and an impatient car driver comes up behind them and takes chances to pass rather than waiting for the passing truck to clear and get over.

You're right on the delivery aspect. Rail is at it's best over long distances, especially with bulk materials. The article does mention transloading facilities, but does not explain that this would most likely be from rail to truck for delivery to the customer.

“Lost my mind”

be back later

#14 May 26, 2008
Gentle Taz wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree on the point of truck drivers being incompetent. Granted, there are some bad apples there as is true with cars.
To me, part of the problems that crop up where trucks are concerned (in Michigan anyway) is the desparate speed limits. The 15 mph difference between truck and car speed limits does not help. However, most car drivers can deal with that just fine as they realize that the world is not going to end if they get slowed down for a few minutes by a truck. Of course, this is amplified when a truck pulls out and passes another and an impatient car driver comes up behind them and takes chances to pass rather than waiting for the passing truck to clear and get over.
You're right on the delivery aspect. Rail is at it's best over long distances, especially with bulk materials. The article does mention transloading facilities, but does not explain that this would most likely be from rail to truck for delivery to the customer.
I disagree too GT. That was sarcasm that didn't come across properly. It was responding to the brilliant post who commented on teh incompetent truckers.
Daniel G

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 May 26, 2008
Trucks get their loads into the stores with CONTAINERS THAT COME FROM THE RAILROADS IN CHICAGO! Watching tonites NatGeo you might actually learn how the goods you get into your local grocery, hardware and department store ACTUALLY ARRIVE! They get unloaded at ports like Los Angeles and Seattle, then come via rail to Chicago and get unloaded to trucks that do the short haul to GRR.
Look at UPS. They truck to Willow Springs, Illinois, load the trains with trailers and rail them to various US destinations.
I also know what Marquette is doing. I, along with rest of the GRR CSX guys, build their trains 6 days a week and also forward their freight on to Toledo, Chicago and various points throught the North American continent.
Right now MQT has 94 cars waiting to go northward. 29 of them go to freight forwarders right here in Kent County. Everything from OSB Board from Val D'Or Quebec for Vans Delivery to orange waste from Indian River FLA for cattle feed going to Rail Storage near Comstock Park.
And the other thing to remember about the west Michigan railroads. We deliver your electricity! Coal to West Olive comes from Wyoming and West Virginia. All via rail.
While your sitting at a crossing watching a train go by remember its bringing your products inbound and outbound and making your life easier in some little way you'll probably never realize.
Yeah, I'm a railroader too.
Dano in Rockford

Since: Oct 07

Grand Blanc, MI

#16 May 26, 2008
durr wrote:
Bush Robbin the Hood LOL Steals from the poor and gives to Rich... couldn't any closer to the truth consider he owns an oil company and all of our gas we buy is funding Al Queida terrorists... there is a local gas station run by (towel Heads) called Jet Fuel .. I honestly believe they named it that because the gas you buy from there the money goes to put fuel in the terrorists jets
He does not own an oil company, prove it.

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

#17 May 27, 2008
Daniel G wrote:
Trucks get their loads into the stores with CONTAINERS THAT COME FROM THE RAILROADS IN CHICAGO! Watching tonites NatGeo you might actually learn how the goods you get into your local grocery, hardware and department store ACTUALLY ARRIVE! They get unloaded at ports like Los Angeles and Seattle, then come via rail to Chicago and get unloaded to trucks that do the short haul to GRR.
Look at UPS. They truck to Willow Springs, Illinois, load the trains with trailers and rail them to various US destinations.
I also know what Marquette is doing. I, along with rest of the GRR CSX guys, build their trains 6 days a week and also forward their freight on to Toledo, Chicago and various points throught the North American continent.
Right now MQT has 94 cars waiting to go northward. 29 of them go to freight forwarders right here in Kent County. Everything from OSB Board from Val D'Or Quebec for Vans Delivery to orange waste from Indian River FLA for cattle feed going to Rail Storage near Comstock Park.
And the other thing to remember about the west Michigan railroads. We deliver your electricity! Coal to West Olive comes from Wyoming and West Virginia. All via rail.
While your sitting at a crossing watching a train go by remember its bringing your products inbound and outbound and making your life easier in some little way you'll probably never realize.
Yeah, I'm a railroader too.
Dano in Rockford
There are also a few trucking companies that load their long haul trailers on flats and send them by rail. It's cheaper for them than hauling them with their semi tractors.
Miracle

Romeo, MI

#18 May 27, 2008
The problem with trains in the past, is they would leave the containers just sitting not moving them around like they should.

“10k yr old politician”

Since: Apr 08

Grand Rapids MI

#19 May 27, 2008
Miracle wrote:
The problem with trains in the past, is they would leave the containers just sitting not moving them around like they should.
Maybe they have learned their lesson and will do better from now on. Rail has to make a significant comeback. It is simple economics.
Business Woman

United States

#20 May 27, 2008
Mark is blown away wrote:
<quoted text>
He does not own an oil company, prove it.
Please look up the "George Bush Family" on the internet and you'll see they started the Bush-Overlay Oil Development Co. in 1951 and also Co-Founded Zapata-Petroleum ... among others. It's not a crime to own an oil company but to profit with absolutely no conscience of how it negatively effects others is selfish. Since the Bush Family 'is' in the oil business they should have seen this disaster coming sooner and as President, George should have taken steps to ensure the US Citizens would not be in the situation we are. Unfortunately, he did nothing.

“Lost my mind”

be back later

#21 May 27, 2008
Business Woman wrote:
<quoted text>
Please look up the "George Bush Family" on the internet and you'll see they started the Bush-Overlay Oil Development Co. in 1951 and also Co-Founded Zapata-Petroleum ... among others. It's not a crime to own an oil company but to profit with absolutely no conscience of how it negatively effects others is selfish. Since the Bush Family 'is' in the oil business they should have seen this disaster coming sooner and as President, George should have taken steps to ensure the US Citizens would not be in the situation we are. Unfortunately, he did nothing.
So, does George W Bush own stock in it? Does he have controlling shares? Although, I would find it difficult for him to have controlling shares as he is President. A President's personal assests are put into Trust while he is President and he doesn't not have access to them.

And funny.. when it was brought up that John Kerry's wife was from the Heinz tycoon family, that was shot down stating 'it's a family business'.

I guess it only matters when you're against them huh?

“Pleasantly Deranged”

Since: Apr 08

West Michigan

#22 May 27, 2008
Oil vs. Ketchup. This could get ugly!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 4 hr Stewart scott 2,544
Bike licenses for road maintenance Thu Who 8
bruce jenner!? who cares! Wed Idea Maker 15
Review: Motorhomes 2 Go Aug 31 Jennie 3
Local News Women (Apr '09) Aug 31 Wyn 2,402
Old Thunder Chicken Club - Anyone Remember It? (Mar '07) Aug 30 Mike Barney 19
trump triumphant! Aug 29 Idea Maker 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages