Jack Loeks-Powers Theater

Jack Loeks-Powers Theater

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

Roger Plafkin

Ada, MI

#1 Mar 6, 2014
When I think of Jack Loeks, I think of the old Powers Theater where Jack ran "News Reels". His family is now in the process of demolishing the large theater complex on 28th street; I do not know if people in Grand Rapids realize the amount of effort that certain individuals put forth to create entertainment in this community; this would include Phil Simons who was responsible for putting together the Statium entertainment project; the neighborhood theaters reflected a lot of individuality--The Libery Theater, Madison Square Theater, Franklin and Division Theater, Wealthy Street Theater, and the Savoy owned by the Goodrich family.
Larry

Jenison, MI

#2 Mar 6, 2014
Roger Plafkin wrote:
When I think of Jack Loeks, I think of the old Powers Theater where Jack ran "News Reels". His family is now in the process of demolishing the large theater complex on 28th street; I do not know if people in Grand Rapids realize the amount of effort that certain individuals put forth to create entertainment in this community; this would include Phil Simons who was responsible for putting together the Statium entertainment project; the neighborhood theaters reflected a lot of individuality--The Libery Theater, Madison Square Theater, Franklin and Division Theater, Wealthy Street Theater, and the Savoy owned by the Goodrich family.
Not to mention Floyd Bloss' Burton Capri.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 6 hr Grim Reaper 2,969
News Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07) 6 hr justheretohelp 617
Grand Rapids; a good place to live? (Mar '12) Sat Lena Gomez 194
News 18-year-old shot by Grand Rapids police during ... Jul 21 Lena Gomez 3
White people are selective racist. Jul 21 Lena Gomez 2
White males are weak. Jul 21 Lena Gomez 1
Lets Chat (Mar '08) Jul 21 Lena Gomez 40,232

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance