Man fears wife's past could ruin family

Man fears wife's past could ruin family

There are 114 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from May 1, 2008, titled Man fears wife's past could ruin family. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

The husband of Susan Lefevre, a convicted mid-level drug dealer from Michigan who escaped from a Plymouth Township prison 32 years ago and was recaptured last week, expressed fear Wednesday that their family ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

Samuel333

Aurora, CO

#62 May 1, 2008
I say let her go. In fact, given the hypocrisy surrounding criminal sanctions for drug possession and distribution when one considers the far greater and more pervasive harm done by tobacco and alcohol; the fact that drug seizure laws are an incentive for the law enforcement community to keep the laws as they are (call it job security)and that virtually no unbiased scientific research has been done on the extent and effects of benign recreational drug use in our society, I would decriminalize, if not legalize, most drugs and release from custody at least those individuals who are only serving time for possession.
Edge

Grand Rapids, MI

#63 May 1, 2008
These comments just prove that the thinking of way too many people is about punishment, not rehabilitation. No wonder we have so may repeat offenders. Way too much judgementalism, too little compassion in our society. It's sad.
clymbn

Rockford, MI

#64 May 1, 2008
I want to sell drugs, get caught, escape, stay away 30 years and not do any time, does anyone object?
Oh I forgot I want my record wiped clean TOO!
torn

Bountiful, UT

#65 May 1, 2008
I believe she shouldn't walk away completely because she did do wrong, but in today's society we need to remember that God says to forgive. Isn't there a way, because she has lived a life free of crime all these years and has a family, that she could still be punished without bringing her back to MI and keeping her from her children and husband?
hello kitteh

Middleville, MI

#66 May 1, 2008
The ones that people should have compassion for are her husband and children that she LIED to for over 30 years. This woman hid from authorities under a false name to avoid going back the prison that she ESCAPED from. So what if the laws have changed. The fact is she knew it was wrong, that's why she hid everything. She screwed over her own family, and now has to pay the price for being a criminal and a liar. Maybe she should have just served her term and possibly got out for good behavior. Now she'll probably face additonal charges and fines. And she broke her families heart in the process.
SLEEPIN BEAR

Holland, MI

#67 May 1, 2008
Think of these facts. Taken from Criminal Justice Studies book.

If one million felony crimes are commited each day = only 100,000 suspects are investigated = of that number = 10,000 suspects are arrested AND = of that nuimber 1000 are charged and brought to trial AND = of that nuimber 100 are ever convicted in court AND = of that number 10 are sent to prison AND of that number ONLY one (1) ever serves the full term.

We still get some of those wrong.

Since: Jul 07

Grand Rapids, MI

#68 May 1, 2008
Cindy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your preganant and crabby and very smart!
Your right she would have to be sentenced by the Laws as they applied then. Didn't she turn herself in anyways....so that shows accountability.
Hope you have a better pregnancy ahead!:)
Thanks about the pregnancy, it went great! I'm not prego anymore, the baby is 7 months now, I just can't change my name on topix, so I'm stuck with it! lol
Gville

United States

#69 May 1, 2008
Amen!!!
Stephanie wrote:
She never "did her time" so they should bring her back and she should absolutely serve her jail time and they SHOULD give her extra time. As for her family - I feel sorry for them - they've been liked to for 23 years, not really a good basis for a relationship as far as I'm concerned. And if this "destroys" their family - they'll be wondering what else she's liked about over the years. Lying gets you no where - ever. Ten bucks says she taught her kids not to use drugs, when they were growing up. Wonder if they ever 'experimented'???
Gville

Greenville, SC

#70 May 1, 2008
Wow. This woman lied to her whole family about her past and what she has done......but she has turned around and is a great wife and mother?? Give me a break!!!If she was such a "great" person she would have done the right thing and turned herself in and not changed her name!This wonderful lying prison escapee needs go back to the clink and start setting a good example for her children by taking a little responsibility for her actions.
LEFEVRE SUPPORTER

San Diego, CA

#71 May 1, 2008
I say. LEAVE HER ALONE!! She's already paid the price, having to hide her past.
She's moved on, so should all you people who have nothing better to do.
Save your negativity, time and energy for the real criminals.
kmm

Hudsonville, MI

#72 May 1, 2008
" LEFEVRE SUPPORTER"]I say. LEAVE HER ALONE!! She's already paid the price, having to hide her past.
She's moved on, so should all you people who have nothing better to do.
Save your negativity, time and energy for the real criminals."QUOTE
WAIT she was covicted she is a REAL CRIMINAL
MHEA - GR

Boulder, CO

#73 May 1, 2008
BJB wrote:
When a person is nineteen they are still children. Many laws prevent 19 year olds from participating. Drinking alcohol or renting a car to name a few. Why are we so set on punishing this lady for something she did when she was still a child. She has proven to society that she is not a criminal and only made a few mistakes in the early years of her life. Let her be. The streets are full of sex offenders released after doing thre time yet it does not mean they are no longer a sexual pervert.
Actually, in 1975 when she was arrested 18 was the legal drinking age in Michigan and renting a car was a rare commodity at that point in time.
lori

Centerville, UT

#74 May 1, 2008
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Rock, yes I can read and type correctly, if I want. But if I don't really care if it is spelled correctly, then I don't. If I want to double check everything I will; if I don't I will not. And if I want to make it shorter by incomplete sentecnes, I will. Now, back to the point or actually do your comment: "wishing he gets arrested on a felony?" Not nice, but true, so he will learn the truth about the justice system. And you are mistaken. All the cops need is someone to do is lie and say they think that is the person, or sigh a false affadavit or make a stament (like the Sarah that doesn't exist for the cult in Texas). Once a judge has an affadvit doesn't matter if true or not (that is the person's problem) they can arrest you. Actually they can arrest you by claiming probably cause even if they don't have nay, they can make it up. However, in Michigan the appeals courts give citizens too much rights, a cops can come in an aprtment buidling and smell drugs in the hallway, and even know which aprtment it is coming from, but can not do anything becasue there are 10 doors in the hallyway, and they could claim on appeal there was no probably cause or could have came from any of those doors. Htey don't play this cr_ap in Texas. They don't have to have probably cause, they say what they think, and bus down your door, if they found drugs, they were right, and if wrong, oh well thought we smelled something. Anyways, Henry needs to get arrested on something that he is innocent on (even on mistaken identity) so he will learn the system. I was placed in detention on mistaken identity not too long ago, fortunatley they finally got it right, and they even had a mug shot that wasn't me, but they thought it looked close enough. Henry actually needs to get arrested and put in jail to learn the system on a charge he is innocent on, and watch teh da try to pressure him to make a deal, or his court appointed lawyer. Hopefully they will figure out he is not guilty in the long run, but according to Henry, all in that get jail & prison sentences are guilty, so they couldn't sentence him? There isn't anybody in jail that is truly innocent now, is there? Let Henry find outthe hard way. THen maybe after he gets out, he can try to sue the state and if he wins he can be an advocate for reforming the justice system and will no longer have his high and mighty everyone in jail is guilty attitude.
Thats a strange story. Sounds like you set yourself up for disaster. Wrong place at the wrong time. I live in a nice middle class neighborhood and have never seen police go door to door comparing their mug shots to me or my neighbors. Some people do go through life without getting into trouble with the law.
your secret neighbor

Granbury, TX

#75 May 1, 2008
Rosiesmom wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to one up you, and wish that you never do something illegal again to send you back. Did you learn your lesson? I do know what jail is like, and I am smart enough to NOT do anything to go there.
Which time are you talking about, the time that I was innocent, or guilty, or the time that the district attorney (das) pressure me to plead guilty or non-contest for time served to get out of jail lying to me saying otherwise I would be in jail for about 1 year until I went to trial?
I worked for my step dad (while he was practicing law) and learned alot about Texas law. I have also learned a little about Michigan law. My wife has a slight learning disability and was also railroaded by the Grand Rapids police dept and da for an alleged hindering & opposing. The cops lied in their report and da pressured her to plead guilty telling her that was only way to get out of jail otherwise would have to wait for along long time to go to trail. IT's a common practice with das across the system in United states especially for people arrested for first time. Get one jerky cops one day & you will see for yourself, unles syou are a cop then they will usually let you off unless you commit murder, then it depends. And even if you work at the jail as a civilain like a nurse, admistration, or dispatcher, or even if you are a jailor you do not KNOW what jail is truly like until you are there. Kent county Jail is laid back. One county jail in Texas made national news for beating prisoners and letting gaurd dogs bite them, the scandel was worse than the Abu gray military scandel, however cause prisoners they jsut transferred them back to their original prison. As for inamtes beat in the county jail, too bad, all you can do is file a federal lawsuit and/or move when you get out. What I learned is to be married, always have a witness (aliby) with you and be able to account for everything. Don't trust cops, das, nor trust court-appointed lawyers, sometimes you have to give in to the system for your own good, and take conviction even if not guilty for your own sake. What I learned in Texas, if a jailor(s), you can defend yorself and beat them up, you can take their mase from them, if they mase you, it only burns for a while, and you can resist the burn and beat them up, they have to shower you immediatley afterward, they beat people, strip them, and put them in mental health rubber rooms to hide them from public and so know body can see them not even laywers to hide their bruises. I also learned that you can go 7 days without food or water, eventually they eaither have to take you to the hospital, let you starve to death, or transfer you. IF it is jail, they will try to transfer you to prison to get rid of you. State prisons are nice compared to county jails. You can study the law better in prison & appeals than while at county jails. Also, to your other comment- you don't have to do anything stupid you can get 1 idiot or mean cop that has an attitude and he or she can arrest you on some made up charge. Wake up, but then again you sound like a cop, jailor, or da so everyone is always guilty and you can't get arrested 'cause normally they protect their own. But maybe one day you will see.
your secret neighbor

Granbury, TX

#76 May 1, 2008
lori, actually I was on Division with my wife and a freind helping my firend get some social services from Degages and Heartside, and some stupid lady said I looked like a guy that owed child support. The cops even had apicture that wasn't me, but they swore it looked close enoguh, fortunatley that one got straightened out, toherwise I would have ended up in Battle creek or anothe county on mistaken identity. As for the other stuff long story, but I know the truth about the system. Guilty until proven innocent.
Just better hope you can afford a good lawyer or that you get a decent court appointed laywer. Also better hope you get an honest cop, which usually isn't the case, they want an arrest and the das want convictions at all cost even if the person is innocent. ITs about their score card, convictions, and money. As for MIchigan at least most cops in michigna are nice 95%, where as in Texas 85% are jerks. Though the cop that got shot the other year was a jerk, my wife & i had ran into him before, so we weren't surprised that someone with a gun shot him. I think that one lived, but I don't keep track. I am not advocating shooting cops or that it is okay, but it is no surprise when the are mean and have a attitude. IT is the same with the rapid bus drivers, occasionnaly one will mouth off to the wrong teenager, and the teenager whacks him (the driver) upside the head. People including cops and drivers should learn to be nice to all, but some let their position go to their head.

“OH what fun!!”

Since: Feb 08

Grand Rapids

#77 May 1, 2008
SUCKS TO BE HER AND HER FAMILY!!
Don't know what they should do with her. I'm just glad I never did a crime that would put me where she is!!
Cindy

United States

#78 May 1, 2008
pregnant and crabby wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks about the pregnancy, it went great! I'm not prego anymore, the baby is 7 months now, I just can't change my name on topix, so I'm stuck with it! lol
And what a name...lol....Congrats on having a healthy pregnancy! I'm sure your very busy at this point! <><
DCEE

Houston, TX

#79 May 1, 2008
oops

Since: Feb 08

United States

#80 May 1, 2008
your secret neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>
Which time are you talking about, the time that I was innocent, or guilty, or the time that the district attorney (das) pressure me to plead guilty or non-contest for time served to get out of jail lying to me saying otherwise I would be in jail for about 1 year until I went to trial?
I worked for my step dad (while he was practicing law) and learned alot about Texas law. I have also learned a little about Michigan law. My wife has a slight learning disability and was also railroaded by the Grand Rapids police dept and da for an alleged hindering & opposing. The cops lied in their report and da pressured her to plead guilty telling her that was only way to get out of jail otherwise would have to wait for along long time to go to trail. IT's a common practice with das across the system in United states especially for people arrested for first time. Get one jerky cops one day & you will see for yourself, unles syou are a cop then they will usually let you off unless you commit murder, then it depends. And even if you work at the jail as a civilain like a nurse, admistration, or dispatcher, or even if you are a jailor you do not KNOW what jail is truly like until you are there. Kent county Jail is laid back. One county jail in Texas made national news for beating prisoners and letting gaurd dogs bite them, the scandel was worse than the Abu gray military scandel, however cause prisoners they jsut transferred them back to their original prison. As for inamtes beat in the county jail, too bad, all you can do is file a federal lawsuit and/or move when you get out. What I learned is to be married, always have a witness (aliby) with you and be able to account for everything. Don't trust cops, das, nor trust court-appointed lawyers, sometimes you have to give in to the system for your own good, and take conviction even if not guilty for your own sake. What I learned in Texas, if a jailor(s), you can defend yorself and beat them up, you can take their mase from them, if they mase you, it only burns for a while, and you can resist the burn and beat them up, they have to shower you immediatley afterward, they beat people, strip them, and put them in mental health rubber rooms to hide them from public and so know body can see them not even laywers to hide their bruises. I also learned that you can go 7 days without food or water, eventually they eaither have to take you to the hospital, let you starve to death, or transfer you. IF it is jail, they will try to transfer you to prison to get rid of you. State prisons are nice compared to county jails. You can study the law better in prison & appeals than while at county jails. Also, to your other comment- you don't have to do anything stupid you can get 1 idiot or mean cop that has an attitude and he or she can arrest you on some made up charge. Wake up, but then again you sound like a cop, jailor, or da so everyone is always guilty and you can't get arrested 'cause normally they protect their own. But maybe one day you will see.
My point was.....why wish what you claim to have happened to you, on someone else? I'm very close to someone who works at a jail, and trust me.....they do not beat, starve, or hide them. LOL! They are treated like human beings, which they are, but chose to do a crime and are serving their time. And if you were 100% innocent, why would you plea bargain? Just wondering......
your secret neighbor

Granbury, TX

#81 May 1, 2008
?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 6 hr localnewsfan 2,840
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 10 hr Dena 1,161
News Caught on tape: man beats dogs (Mar '08) 18 hr Go Blue Forever 156
are the protesters going to jump 18 hr RushFan666 51
Poll Any parents of children in jail forum (Jul '09) Feb 20 Carter 58
Art Van Scam (Oct '08) Feb 18 MUman 50
Texas Girl With a Great Plan (Sep '12) Feb 15 Gaxtell 74

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance