Man fears wife's past could ruin family

Man fears wife's past could ruin family

There are 114 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from May 1, 2008, titled Man fears wife's past could ruin family. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

The husband of Susan Lefevre, a convicted mid-level drug dealer from Michigan who escaped from a Plymouth Township prison 32 years ago and was recaptured last week, expressed fear Wednesday that their family ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Cindy

United States

#1 May 1, 2008
Let her be! The prisons are over crowded anyways! She obviously has learned her lesson! I think 30 years of community service would me more appropriate and possibly speaking about the dangers of drugs to educate others. So, the state would have a win win situation!
She should be able to do this in California.
cindy

Whitehall, MI

#2 May 1, 2008
you know the old saying about doing the crime !!!
it doesn't matter who much of a good person people think she is now.or how many kids she raised.or how long ago it was.

Since: Oct 07

Big Rapids, MI

#3 May 1, 2008
Why not just give her a huge fine, put her on probation and make her do community service. She has obviously changed regarding her past life. Why put her in our over crowded prisons and make us pay for her to be in jail. Its going to end up costing the state more money than it seems worth.

Since: Aug 07

Denver, CO

#4 May 1, 2008
I have mixed feelings about this one. One one hand she is a 53 year old wife and mother who has turned her life around and is dedicated to her family. But on the other hand she needs to be punised for fleeing prison. I don't think 10-20 years is the answer! but maybe community service or a short 5 year sentence. This is a tough one to figure out. I am glad her whole family is behind her.
cindy

Whitehall, MI

#5 May 1, 2008
Cindy wrote:
Let her be! The prisons are over crowded anyways! She obviously has learned her lesson! I think 30 years of community service would me more appropriate and possibly speaking about the dangers of drugs to educate others. So, the state would have a win win situation!
are you her sister ? what if it was your kids she was selling to ? it wasn't just weed it was heroin or if it was rapr or murder that long ago then should she get away with it ?
Stephanie

United States

#6 May 1, 2008
She never "did her time" so they should bring her back and she should absolutely serve her jail time and they SHOULD give her extra time. As for her family - I feel sorry for them - they've been liked to for 23 years, not really a good basis for a relationship as far as I'm concerned. And if this "destroys" their family - they'll be wondering what else she's liked about over the years. Lying gets you no where - ever. Ten bucks says she taught her kids not to use drugs, when they were growing up. Wonder if they ever 'experimented'???
not fooled by her photo

United States

#7 May 1, 2008
she should still face the music. the other inmates would agree. why should she be given special treatment? She did the crime & DIDN'T serve her time. She had to blend in with her new life....her freedom was at stake. She made the choice to sell drugs, & now has led the perfect life? NOT FAIR at all. lock her up & fine her.

“Pets-at-Play”

Since: Apr 08

Grand Haven

#8 May 1, 2008
Cindy wrote:
I agree !!! Are so many more who really do bad things OVER AND OVER give her a fine make her do something to better life not back in jail!!!
Julie

Deerfield, IL

#9 May 1, 2008
My fiancee is currently incarcerated here in Michigan and when he heard of this case, he couldnt believe they were actually bringing her back.Russ Marlan says it would send a "horrible" message to our over 50,000 prisoners here in Michigan. Alot of our prisoners are in 8 man cubes now. There are 1600 alone in the facility where my fiancee is. This lady has, from the sound of things, lived a quiet clean lifestyle with her husband and children free of criminal activity for all these years. Leave her alone! So we bring her back to Michigan, throw her into one of our already overcrowded prisons, and then what?? The MDOC offers nothing to help rehabilitate the prisoners they have there already! In fact in ways, they discourage success. I go through this on a daily basis with him. This lady has proved that she can live a good quality life and provide for herself crime free. To Russ Marlan, dont break up ANOTHER family like you attempt to do with the ones you already have there. The MDOC needs to leave her alone. You talk about overspending in prisons?? Here is a fine example of how you spend our taxpayers money foolishly.
hugsnotdrugs

United States

#10 May 1, 2008
You do the crime, you pay the time. She didn't pay the time, so it is time she does. If she is such an "honest" person with so much integrity than she would take her punishment and serve her time.
maureenlee

Kalamazoo, MI

#11 May 1, 2008
Intolerant of Idiots wrote:
Why not just give her a huge fine, put her on probation and make her do community service. She has obviously changed regarding her past life. Why put her in our over crowded prisons and make us pay for her to be in jail. Its going to end up costing the state more money than it seems worth.
I agree--even if she is in jail 90 days first. I think that is a good plan
hugsnotdrugs

United States

#12 May 1, 2008
One more thing. The law isn't destroying her family. She destroyed them by lying to them all these years. Hardly, the actions of and honest person...
okeN

Zeeland, MI

#13 May 1, 2008
I feel sorry for her family. She on the other hand, should be brought back, given a new charge for escape and locked up. This time weld the door shut, and see if she can escape again. If she thought prison life was tough before......
She hasn't seen nothing yet.

“Hmmm ... ”

Since: Mar 08

Fremont

#14 May 1, 2008
Boo Hoo for her. She is the one that has been living a lie. What kind of message does it show todays youth if they watch her walk away from this?
BJB

New York, NY

#15 May 1, 2008
When a person is nineteen they are still children. Many laws prevent 19 year olds from participating. Drinking alcohol or renting a car to name a few. Why are we so set on punishing this lady for something she did when she was still a child. She has proven to society that she is not a criminal and only made a few mistakes in the early years of her life. Let her be. The streets are full of sex offenders released after doing thre time yet it does not mean they are no longer a sexual pervert.
Amanda

Smithfield, UT

#17 May 1, 2008
I feel that they are treating her how they should...If she gets away with escaping and HIDING for all of those years and the word gets into our Michigan prisons...or any prison for that matter...It will more than likely start happening more and more often...people tend to think that if one person can get away with it then they should be able to as well!! She is no exception to the rule for any reason...She knew what she was up against when she did the original crime as well as when she walked away from her sentence!! I understand that she was young and straightened her life out and that is GREAT!! BUT...if the youth today see somebody get away with a crime just because they werent caught for some 30+ years they are going to think they can do the same!! My opinion is that she should have to serve the remaining sentence as well as escape charges!! She looks like a very intelegent woman therefore she knew what she was up against for all of the years that she got away with running!! If she would have just served her sentence at the time she could be free today...so she is the only person to blame for her incarceration after all of these years!!

“God Bless America”

Since: Sep 07

Grand Haven, MI

#18 May 1, 2008
After reading the forum about this individual I would also like too add, "if you cannot do the time, do not do the crime."
This lady has lied to the community and to her family, not to mention the State of Michigan. We must bring her back as an example that crime does not pay. At the same time we must take in consideration the drugs that she was accused of pushing. Remember she was dealing with some very harmful drugs, it would be the wrong signal to send today that if you get away and stay clean. Your excused from further punishment or time, the balancing game will be what should her fine or punishment be today.
I would hope that after a very short time in prison locally, she is allowed to go back and on probation with a fine. She would at least have a record now, and be watched, what many people are forgetting is that she also broke many laws since running. Forgery, identification fraud, tax evading of some kind, remember this person does not really exist. So to say, shes been totally law abiding is not really correct.
Look at the whole picture, and God Bless America.
beatrice

Middleville, MI

#19 May 1, 2008
I can't believe her family isn't outraged over the fact that she lied all this time. She changed her name even. She is/was a criminal. Sure she may have cleaned up her act in past years, but the fact that she was still a wanted person and she was still in hiding, prooves she knew what she was doing was wrong and did it anyway.
beatrice

Middleville, MI

#20 May 1, 2008
oops!

proves, not prooves
Laurie-Cascade

United States

#21 May 1, 2008
Had she not been caught for selling heroin, would she have turned her life around then or gone farther down the path that, at that time, led to the likes of Squeaky Fromme? Further, what message does her being let go scot-free at this time send to those citizens who turned their lives around AFTER serving their time? I would be more likely to applaud them than this woman. Certainly some punishment is justified here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grand Rapids; a good place to live? (Mar '12) 2 hr Lena Gomez 194
Local News Women (Apr '09) 21 hr T-Man 2,968
News 18-year-old shot by Grand Rapids police during ... Fri Lena Gomez 3
White people are selective racist. Fri Lena Gomez 2
White males are weak. Fri Lena Gomez 1
Lets Chat (Mar '08) Fri Lena Gomez 40,232
Why do people act ghetto? I am talking about al... (Dec '12) Fri Lena Gomez 49

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance