Really annoying news anchors

Really annoying news anchors

Posted in the Grand Rapids Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
pjducthville

United States

#1 Aug 1, 2008
WOOD TV's Brett Thomas and Brian Sterling. What is up with these two and their sing-song, bring it down to a whisper voices? These two are really nauseating to listen to.

And Terri DeBoer. Constantly comes across as a know it all. She is always yammering about her family and religious values, yet she seldom if ever, wears her wedding ring. Doesn't her precious marriage mean that much?

Not that Halley Vogel is any prize over at WZZM. I've met her in person a couple of times, and she comes off as snobbish and rude. Doesn't really appear that she takes any pride in her job...like it's a chore.

After all, how much talent does it take to read a teleprompter?
Shoeless Eluder

Denver, CO

#2 Aug 1, 2008
I only try to watch Bill Steffen seems like a really nice guy, and very talented. But the rest of our local TV stations broadcast teams seem to be lacking in talent. Even some of the reporters on WOOD radio really mess up there reports some times. And some of the phrases they use sometimes leave me to wonder what the heck they are talking about.I saw Juliet Dragos in the Old Mill in Comstock Park once she is a lot cuter in person. I kind of wondered what she was doing there at 11:45 PM . Just having a drink after work I guess.
SBO

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Aug 1, 2008
In a town that lacks much worthwhile news, I imagine it is hard to attract the best talent. IMO, the only thing our local newcasts are good for is high school sports. They do an awesome job with that, especially football. More accurate weather can be found at weather.com and the rest of the local news is just overhyped BS.
Shoeless Eluder

Denver, CO

#4 Aug 1, 2008
SBO wrote:
In a town that lacks much worthwhile news, I imagine it is hard to attract the best talent. IMO, the only thing our local newcasts are good for is high school sports. They do an awesome job with that, especially football. More accurate weather can be found at weather.com and the rest of the local news is just overhyped BS.
I agree with you on the over hyped news ,just look at the earthquake the other day in Cal. nothing really happened but they spent almost an hour and a half with nothing but coverage of that.
Old Rocker

United States

#5 Aug 1, 2008
Susan Geha ought to be put out to pasture. Her drama in presenting the news is unbearable. I can't watch TV 8 news except for Bill Steffan.

Union All The Way

“So what!!”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeview, Mi.

#6 Aug 1, 2008
Old Rocker wrote:
Susan Geha ought to be put out to pasture. Her drama in presenting the news is unbearable. I can't watch TV 8 news except for Bill Steffan.
Bill Steffan. Now there's a guy with alot of pazazzz..LOLOLOl
Taxpayer

AOL

#7 Aug 1, 2008
A lot of what you see and how its presented is dictated by consultants. These so called "know it alls" tell the management how to construct the newscasts and many times who to hire.

Personally, I think Grand Rapids has some very good talent. However; consultants also tell them how to act and how they should present a story.

“Smells like 1994!”

Since: Jun 08

Stately Wayne Manor

#8 Aug 1, 2008
I can't stand when local programming is held hostage by Storm Team 8 whenever a rain cloud is coming across Lake Michigan.

If it's truly bad weather, put that text scroll across the bottom of the screen! The less I have to see 5 meteorologists in matching polo shirts jockeying for face time the better!
I hate WOODTV

Denver, CO

#9 Aug 1, 2008
Amen to all of you. I really like Bill Steffen's porn stache.
Also, the rumor around town is that Rachel Ruiz's real name is something like Rachel Reese or Ruis or something and they had her change it to Ruiz to sound hispanic. If that is true, that cracks me up.
Lady Jane

Zeeland, MI

#10 Aug 1, 2008
Fred Tornado wrote:
I can't stand when local programming is held hostage by Storm Team 8 whenever a rain cloud is coming across Lake Michigan.
If it's truly bad weather, put that text scroll across the bottom of the screen! The less I have to see 5 meteorologists in matching polo shirts jockeying for face time the better!
AMEN!
Lady Jane

Zeeland, MI

#11 Aug 1, 2008
I used to work at one of the stations in town - won't say which one - but the "talent" (anchors) are not much better in real life. Some are nice, most aren't. There's definately a caste system.

Met Tom VanHowe twice outside of TV about 15 yrs ago - what a jerk he was.

The one that gets on my nerves now is Lindsey Kus on FOX17. First of all, if "Kus" was my last name, I would use a stage name. Secondly, her voice is grating and nasal, and her overall presence is nauseating. She's the biggest reason that I can no longer watch FOX.

I tried their morning show once - lasted a whole two minutes, then went back to cable news. Morning TV around here is a joke.
pjducthville

United States

#12 Aug 1, 2008
Lady Jane wrote:
I used to work at one of the stations in town - won't say which one - but the "talent" (anchors) are not much better in real life. Some are nice, most aren't. There's definately a caste system.
Met Tom VanHowe twice outside of TV about 15 yrs ago - what a jerk he was.
The one that gets on my nerves now is Lindsey Kus on FOX17. First of all, if "Kus" was my last name, I would use a stage name. Secondly, her voice is grating and nasal, and her overall presence is nauseating. She's the biggest reason that I can no longer watch FOX.
I tried their morning show once - lasted a whole two minutes, then went back to cable news. Morning TV around here is a joke.
Tom Van "Howe do you like me now"? is a loudmouthed drunk, as well as an opinionated jerk!

“oh yes she did!!”

Since: Aug 08

Manistique

#13 Aug 1, 2008
Fred Tornado wrote:
I can't stand when local programming is held hostage by Storm Team 8 whenever a rain cloud is coming across Lake Michigan.
If it's truly bad weather, put that text scroll across the bottom of the screen! The less I have to see 5 meteorologists in matching polo shirts jockeying for face time the better!
LOL! Thanks for the chuckle, Fred, I sure needed it!
The local news stations try to paint GR as a really big place with really big news, when in actuality the news they report show what a truly small place it is. Same old, same old....JMO
pjducthville

United States

#14 Aug 1, 2008
I hate WOODTV wrote:
Amen to all of you. I really like Bill Steffen's porn stache.
Also, the rumor around town is that Rachel Ruiz's real name is something like Rachel Reese or Ruis or something and they had her change it to Ruiz to sound hispanic. If that is true, that cracks me up.
Not to mention that Rachel needs to lose the Morticia Adams hair, look a lot less anorexic (reminds me of Arnold Steakandeggers wife, Maria Shriver), and not sound like someone is stepping on your throat when she speaks.
I hate WOODTV

Denver, CO

#15 Aug 1, 2008
Don't get me started on Tom VanHowe. First of all, he is the most opinionated "anchor" I have ever seen. He made all kinds of side comments and was totally sarcastic and superior. I think he missed the chapter on being impartial.
Also, his wife used to own a restaurant/bar in Holland when I was a Hope College student in the 90's. And Tom would hang out at the bar and hit on sorority girls. Some of my sorority friends had a game where they would see who could get his number first. It wasn't much of a competition, he was always drunk.
KKF

United States

#16 Aug 1, 2008
I actually like Lauren & Derrick's morning show on WZZM. I get the feeling if those two were allowed to say whatever they were really thinking, they'd be a riot. Hally seems nice enough but it appears she forces herself to be that way. She should lighten up more like Lauren & Derrick. It's not their fault they only have crappy news stories to report.

My friend met Juliet Dragos at a class reunion and said she was a riot and really funny! And just like someone posted earlier ... much prettier in person. I'm not so sure about the new haircut though,Juliet.

Everyone on Fox News annoys me. I've tried watching it several times, and within a few minutes I can't take it. It's kinda like the "Lower Class" of the news stations.

jjv

“Me, myself and I”

Since: Jun 08

Kentwood

#17 Aug 1, 2008
I hate WOODTV wrote:
Amen to all of you. I really like Bill Steffen's porn stache.
Also, the rumor around town is that Rachel Ruiz's real name is something like Rachel Reese or Ruis or something and they had her change it to Ruiz to sound hispanic. If that is true, that cracks me up.
It is true. She went to East Kentwood High School, graduated in 1990. You can be sure her name was never pronounced "Ruiz", check out an old yearbook sometime....
KKF

United States

#18 Aug 1, 2008
I hate WOODTV wrote:
Don't get me started on Tom VanHowe. First of all, he is the most opinionated "anchor" I have ever seen. He made all kinds of side comments and was totally sarcastic and superior. I think he missed the chapter on being impartial.
Also, his wife used to own a restaurant/bar in Holland when I was a Hope College student in the 90's. And Tom would hang out at the bar and hit on sorority girls. Some of my sorority friends had a game where they would see who could get his number first. It wasn't much of a competition, he was always drunk.
The restaurant was called The Hatch, right?? I rented a nice house across the street from it and thought "Cool! I can just walk over there & back .. no drinking & driving!" It only stayed open for a few more months and the rumors were that Tom spent all the profits and they had to close. THANKS A LOT TOM!!
freddie

Salt Lake City, UT

#19 Aug 1, 2008
Rachel Ruiz does a fine job. She is very professional and cute also. She has come a long way in a short time.
pjducthville

United States

#20 Aug 1, 2008
KKF wrote:
<quoted text>
The restaurant was called The Hatch, right?? I rented a nice house across the street from it and thought "Cool! I can just walk over there & back .. no drinking & driving!" It only stayed open for a few more months and the rumors were that Tom spent all the profits and they had to close. THANKS A LOT TOM!!
And Tom is still a drunk to this day. Used to hang out at Longnecks sports bar in Holland, and try to hit on young girls. And now, he's on Channel 3 ? They must be desperate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 10 hr T-Man 1,191
News Holland's Hispanic population growing (May '08) Tue District 1 400
Local News Women (Apr '09) Sun WMNewsFan 3,098
News 'Okay to be White' signs popping up in Grand Haven Nov 14 Sad Bastard 1
The pain is everywhere! (May '13) Nov 12 DrugsRbadMmmkay 74
social networking - your drug of choice (Jul '14) Nov 12 DrugsRbadMmmkay 2
Understanding Pain (Feb '10) Nov 11 DrugsRbadMmmkay 54

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages