GR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2010

Judged:

I couldn't let this oppurtunity slip by. There is a guy in India that has been performing many miracles very similar to those jesus has been said to have performed. This guy is not just some nut job like Manson or Jim Jones, he has millions of followers, and his following keeps growing. He will not perform his "miracles" in a controlled situation, because he says, "Science must confine its inquiry only to things belonging to the human senses, while spiritualism transcends the senses. If you want to understand the nature of spiritual power you can do so only through the path of spirituality and not science. What science has been able to unravel is merely a fraction of the cosmic phenomena."

You just gotta have Faith! WWJD?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sathya_Sai_Baba#...

“think for yourself”

Since: Aug 08

GR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2010

Judged:

Said "miracles" performed...

Some of the reported miracles included levitation (both indoors and outdoors), bilocation, physical disappearances, changing granite into sugar candy, changing water into another drink, changing water into gasoline, producing objects on demand, changing the color of his gown while wearing it, multiplying food, healing acute and chronic diseases, appearing in visions and dreams, making different fruits appear on any tree hanging from actual stems, controlling the weather, physically transforming into various deities and physically emitting brilliant light.[96] Haraldsson wrote that the largest allegedly materialized object that he saw was a mangalsutra necklace, 32 inches long, 16 inches long on each side.[97] Haraldsson wrote that some miracles attributed to Sathya Sai Baba resemble the ones described in the New Testament, but that although healings certainly figure in Sai Baba's reputation, his impression is that healings do not play as prominent a role in Sathya Sai Baba's activities as in those of Jesus.

Since: Oct 08

Jackson, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2010

Judged:

We have the "Second Coming"?? WWFD??(What Would Falwell Do?)

“Show faith through love”

Since: Jul 09

Jenison

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2010

Judged:

What's so surprising about this? Jesus told us this would happen.

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"
Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming,'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.(Mt 24:3-6)

At that time if anyone says to you,'Look, here is the Christ!' or,'There he is!' do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible. See, I have told you ahead of time.
"So if anyone tells you,'There he is, out in the desert,' do not go out; or,'Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.(Mt 24: 23-28)

Jenison

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2010

Oh! And I forgot to mention - this guy is not even close to being the first to try this kind of thing.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2010

Judged:

Amazarak wrote:
I couldn't let this oppurtunity slip by. There is a guy in India that has been performing many miracles very similar to those jesus has been said to have performed. This guy is not just some nut job like Manson or Jim Jones, he has millions of followers, and his following keeps growing. He will not perform his "miracles" in a controlled situation, because he says, "Science must confine its inquiry only to things belonging to the human senses, while spiritualism transcends the senses. If you want to understand the nature of spiritual power you can do so only through the path of spirituality and not science. What science has been able to unravel is merely a fraction of the cosmic phenomena."
I love watching charlatans. I had to check out this guy's videos. He's certainly no David Copperfield. His tricks are crude and fairly obvious. Very enjoyable watching suckers fall for it, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch #!v=Yblhsr1O4IQ&feature=re lated

“Where I came from”

Since: Jan 09

the universe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

WildCat Mom2 wrote:
What's so surprising about this? Jesus told us this would happen.
As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"
Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming,'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.(Mt 24:3-6)
At that time if anyone says to you,'Look, here is the Christ!' or,'There he is!' do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible. See, I have told you ahead of time.
"So if anyone tells you,'There he is, out in the desert,' do not go out; or,'Here he is, in the inner rooms,' do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.(Mt 24: 23-28)
Yep, and I don't Jesus would waste his time changing water to gasoline.

Jenison

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Shoeless Eluder wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, and I don't Jesus would waste his time changing water to gasoline.
lol
I don't know that would be a waste of time...think of the profit!

Since: Sep 08

Muskegon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

WildCat Mom2 wrote:
<quoted text>
lol
I don't know that would be a waste of time...think of the profit!
Why would Jesus need to make a profit?

Jenison

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

radell wrote:
<quoted text>Why would Jesus need to make a profit?
It was a joke Radell.

“November 12th, 2011”

Since: Nov 07

up a tree

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

Another thread started by the folks, that claim not to be attacking our faith. Yawn.........

Since: Jun 09

GR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

Amazarak wrote:
I'm just wondering what the "opportunity" was you couldn't let slip by.
An opportunity to mock people who believe differently than you? There's a nice lesson for the kids, eh...

Muskegon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Amazarak wrote:
I know that with your knowledge of the Bible, you know very well that people will set themselves up as false prophets. I also know that with your knowledge of human nature that you know the same thing. The fact that many of his miracles are merely amusing parlor tricks, and that he is avoiding verification proves that he's a charlatan no matter who he claims to be. You're capapble of better than this.

SW Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

That's where all the jobs are now.

Of course, as a carpenter - he could always find work building settlements on Palestinian land in Israel.

NO, really - he would be swinging a sledge hammer and I would help him.
NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

These people worships rats and still fall for parlor tricks for crying out loud, since most of them are hindu's I highly doubt they would even know who Jesus is.

Besides, every one knows the "messiah" is in the WH!

Muskegon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS wrote:
These people worships rats and still fall for parlor tricks for crying out loud, since most of them are hindu's I highly doubt they would even know who Jesus is.
Besides, every one knows the "messiah" is in the WH!
Your post is poorly stated and offensive. If you're going to set yourself up as culturally above these people, try learning proper grammar.

“think for yourself”

GR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

The whole point of this thread, is to point out how ridiculous the thought is of some guy performing miracles. This guy is doing nothing different that jesus. The only difference is we have science now to prove if these are real, or slight of hand. Maybe jesus was just a great magician of the time. Ever think of that? Would jesus perform his miracles under a controlled observation? Why are his miracles so sacred when they were performed over 2000 years ago, recorded by "eyewitness accounts", and not backed by science, just by some ancient documents by people that had no idea how to tell the difference between magic tricks and science? And how this guy pretty much says his followers should just have faith, that science cannot explain spirituality, in the same sense of all the arguments I come across here. Faith. Believing in something that is unseen. Quite similar.

False prophets, of course. What will you do when jesus does return?(for sake of argument) Will you call him a false prophet as well? What does he have to do? Oh, that's right, all the christians will mysteriously float into the air and leave this earth and cause great chaos. That sounds much more reasonable.

Muskegon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

Amazarak wrote:
The whole point of this thread, is to point out how ridiculous the thought is of some guy performing miracles. This guy is doing nothing different that jesus. The only difference is we have science now to prove if these are real, or slight of hand. Maybe jesus was just a great magician of the time. Ever think of that? Would jesus perform his miracles under a controlled observation? Why are his miracles so sacred when they were performed over 2000 years ago, recorded by "eyewitness accounts", and not backed by science, just by some ancient documents by people that had no idea how to tell the difference between magic tricks and science? And how this guy pretty much says his followers should just have faith, that science cannot explain spirituality, in the same sense of all the arguments I come across here. Faith. Believing in something that is unseen. Quite similar.
False prophets, of course. What will you do when jesus does return?(for sake of argument) Will you call him a false prophet as well? What does he have to do? Oh, that's right, all the christians will mysteriously float into the air and leave this earth and cause great chaos. That sounds much more reasonable.
No, Jesus did have some fundamental differences from this guy. All of the recorded miracles of Jesus were done in front of people who knew whether the person healed really had the affliction. None were done to impress anyone, all had a significant point to the person or people affected. Jesus frequently told witnesses not to go out and spread the word, since he was avoiding becoming a dog and pony show. As for Jesus's return, there will be no doubt. Even you will know.

“think for yourself”

GR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

radell wrote:
<quoted text>No, Jesus did have some fundamental differences from this guy. All of the recorded miracles of Jesus were done in front of people who knew whether the person healed really had the affliction. None were done to impress anyone, all had a significant point to the person or people affected. Jesus frequently told witnesses not to go out and spread the word, since he was avoiding becoming a dog and pony show. As for Jesus's return, there will be no doubt. Even you will know.
Where are the medical records for the healed from jesus? How do you know those people were healed and the stories weren't exagerated like in Sai Baba's case? Because some ancient text tells you that? Don't you find it odd, that those stories were written 70 plus years after the death of jesus, all of them depicting very different stories of jesus, and yet, you still believe jesus performed all those miracles? Why such low faith in Sai Baba? He has been said to have cured chronic diseases and illnesses, and has current eyewitness accounts of them. He has opened hospitals, and many of his followers say he transfers their pain into himself. Why such little faith in him, but yet, such strong, unfaltering belief in someone 2000 years ago, with no records, and many conflicting tales? I don't understand.
Observer

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

Amazarak wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are the medical records for the healed from jesus? How do you know those people were healed and the stories weren't exagerated like in Sai Baba's case? Because some ancient text tells you that? Don't you find it odd, that those stories were written 70 plus years after the death of jesus, all of them depicting very different stories of jesus, and yet, you still believe jesus performed all those miracles? Why such low faith in Sai Baba? He has been said to have cured chronic diseases and illnesses, and has current eyewitness accounts of them. He has opened hospitals, and many of his followers say he transfers their pain into himself. Why such little faith in him, but yet, such strong, unfaltering belief in someone 2000 years ago, with no records, and many conflicting tales? I don't understand.
Your last three words say it all.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of126
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

35 Users are viewing the Grand Rapids Forum right now

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Sebelius botches farewell speech 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 27
Review: Elvis Auto Service 3 hr Del Shannon 2
Gay woman wants same-sex marriage for her kids:... 5 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 3
Get Ready To Pay More For Food. 5 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 29
sochi russian for sucker!! 5 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 9
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 5 hr Go Blue Forever 891
Gay Marriage in Michigan 21 hr Spare Me 3
•••
•••
•••
Grand Rapids Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
•••
•••