Manpower job fair for Steelcase, Amway contract job shows it's an 'employer's market'

Aug 23, 2011 Full story: MLive.com

"It's kind of hard to find a steady job, " said Jahan Kidd, 20, middle, while waiting in a job fair line that stretched outside the door at Manpower, 2930 Broadmoor Avenue SE, in Grand Rapids Tuesday.

Read more
SD Office Furniture

Arlington, TX

#1 Aug 23, 2011
Hopefully the contingent staffing going on will provide some relief for folks out of work and running out of unemployment benefits. Here's hoping many of those jobs become permanent, full time positions for Michigan residents.

Daisy
http://www.sandiegocubicles.com/blog
Joshua

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Jul 5, 2012
Daisy,

These jobs do not become permanent. Manpower currently has no jobs other than Amway available in this area. The reason Amway has so many is the number they employ and that they do not hire in the temporary workers. You work for 18mo. and then are let go.

I wish your optimism for these turning into full time positions had more merit. But living and breathing the Amway culture shows otherwise.
temps suck

Carrollton, TX

#3 Jul 6, 2012
I wonder if these temps are like the temps I work with.Lazy,stupid,and don't give a crap because they're making half of what the full timers make.They're lured into the hopes of getting hired on full time only to be let go at the end of their term.There are a few good temps,but the worthles ones are the ones that are usually hired full time.

Most of the time we call them rent-a-bums. I gotta do my job and theirs because they are worthless.They just sit there and look stupid.

Anybody that that has to work with temps,I feel for you!
Anon

Alto, MI

#4 Feb 2, 2014
No feel sorry for the temp. Amway is too freakin cheap to hire in full time employees. The full timers have reason to work hard. Amway dangles hope of full time in front of people only to never hire into these fake positions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) Tue RedWings19 2,357
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Mon stewart scott 1,768
its high time . . . Mar 29 bobolinq 1
News TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT: Roof Melt (Jan '08) Mar 28 gaga2 72
News This Woman Didn't Get Any Bacon In Her Burger S... Mar 28 Sneaky Pete 6
News When to consider hip replacement surgery Mar 27 Jane Fairfax 1
Mystery shopping in Grand Rapids? Mar 25 Mrs C 2
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]