Holland's Hispanic population growing

New census numbers show how the Hispanic population is growing, both in West Michigan and across the country. Full Story
Hater

Grand Haven, MI

#45 Jul 24, 2008
Last night, one of the growing population of hispanics ( an illegal ) killed a wonderful Holland area man. We have a problem.

“Just trying to make it”

Since: May 08

Dadeville, AL

#47 Jul 24, 2008
I've written TONS of letters to the Holland Sentinel about this and their biased reporting.
You remember a few months ago they held a migrant fair. They gave away free clothes to migrant workers and area businesses donated money for them....IN COMPLETE DISREGARD OF MICHIGANDERS CURRENTLY UNEMPLOYED.
------
Monday, March 31, 2008
Migrant fair growing every year, organizers say
BY STEVE RALPH steve.ralph@hollandsentinel.co m
The sixth annual West Ottawa Community Migrant Fair ushered in the start of the migrant-worker season Saturday with food, entertainment, fellowship and an array of area services.
"It's getting bigger every year," said Denise Archer, West Ottawa migrant coordinator.
"It's a welcome back to our migrant families to our community and to West Ottawa schools. It's a 'thank you' in appreciation of their hard work," she said.
Juan and Raquel Ramirez migrate to Holland from Guanjua, Mexico, each year with their five children, one of whom attends a local college. Juan works as a crew leader for Grand Haven-based Zelenka Nursery.
The fair is "very important. It unites the Hispanic community," Juan said, translated by Archer.
"It help us know programs we didn't know existed, to help introduce us to the services available to migrants," he said.
Raquel, with Archer translating, said it reconnects her family with friends in the community.
"We know a lot of people who come," she said.
"We need these folks," said Bert Jara, executive director of Latin Americans United for Progress.
"They give to us, we give to them. We wouldn't have affordable fruits and vegetables on our tables if it weren't for these folks.
"It's welcoming people from other countries that makes America great," he said.
The event featured Mexican-heritage music, dancers and food, games for kids, and several tables heaped with clothing donated from area schools, churches and individuals.
A group of Holland Christian High School students were on hand to help with the clothing tables and games.

-snipped article due to length-

“Just trying to make it”

Dadeville, AL

#48 Jul 24, 2008
And they recently published a pro-mestizo article about how they're failing in school, so schools are having to overhaul their lessons to accommodate them.

“Just trying to make it”

Dadeville, AL

#49 Jul 24, 2008
Mick wrote:
And for those complaining about the fact "we're losing our jobs" to illegals--while I agree 100% that they all should be deported, even the whiners they birth here--I'd like to see you go out and pick fruit for a living.
Oh, wait. Never mind--fruit picking doesn't entail at least sixteen dollars an hour, insurance, vacation pay, and sick days.
Put the fault where it's due, people.
I am one of those complaining about this and I did in fact go out and pick fruit this summer; In between my summer classes and little part time job. I've been laid off since Jan and haven't been able to find work.
Noboa

New York, NY

#50 Sep 19, 2008
Did you refer to other human beings as vermin? Well you'll be happy to know that someone in the US is now viewing you as vermin too. Doesn't feel very good does it?
Cletus Snow wrote:
Holland's crime rate and welfare rate are growing as well. Look at the gang activity there now. That was unheard of 10 years ago. What used to be a nice town has turned into a cesspool. The tulip festival we knew twenty years ago is all but destroyed. Most of these vermin are likey illegals.
Noboa

New York, NY

#51 Sep 19, 2008
pagan22 wrote:
I've written TONS of letters to the Holland Sentinel about this and their biased reporting.
You remember a few months ago they held a migrant fair. They gave away free clothes to migrant workers and area businesses donated money for them....IN COMPLETE DISREGARD OF MICHIGANDERS CURRENTLY UNEMPLOYED.
------
Monday, March 31, 2008
Migrant fair growing every year, organizers say
BY STEVE RALPH steve.ralph@hollandsentinel.co m
The sixth annual West Ottawa Community Migrant Fair ushered in the start of the migrant-worker season Saturday with food, entertainment, fellowship and an array of area services.
"It's getting bigger every year," said Denise Archer, West Ottawa migrant coordinator.
"It's a welcome back to our migrant families to our community and to West Ottawa schools. It's a 'thank you' in appreciation of their hard work," she said.
Juan and Raquel Ramirez migrate to Holland from Guanjua, Mexico, each year with their five children, one of whom attends a local college. Juan works as a crew leader for Grand Haven-based Zelenka Nursery.
The fair is "very important. It unites the Hispanic community," Juan said, translated by Archer.
"It help us know programs we didn't know existed, to help introduce us to the services available to migrants," he said.
Raquel, with Archer translating, said it reconnects her family with friends in the community.
"We know a lot of people who come," she said.
"We need these folks," said Bert Jara, executive director of Latin Americans United for Progress.
"They give to us, we give to them. We wouldn't have affordable fruits and vegetables on our tables if it weren't for these folks.
"It's welcoming people from other countries that makes America great," he said.
The event featured Mexican-heritage music, dancers and food, games for kids, and several tables heaped with clothing donated from area schools, churches and individuals.
A group of Holland Christian High School students were on hand to help with the clothing tables and games.
-snipped article due to length-
I have the perfect solution. Take all of you whiners complaining about immigrants and throw you in a third world country where eating is a luxury - and leave you there for about a year...let's see how quick you are to judge people then. You'll be on the next boat to wherever they'd open the doors for you. Stop being so shallow - at the end of the day-- we're all human and all in this together. We're supposed to be helping each other instead of throwing stones and kicking people out of these man-made borders. Not to get religious or anything, but god made this earth for all of us -- stop your whining and do something productive for the human race - you sound like a biased bunch of morans. And by the way, if Texas, etc. wouldn't have been snatched up by money hungry oil moguls, the Mexicans would be right at home.
Noboa

New York, NY

#52 Sep 19, 2008
Funny, people are quick to call others racists..why don't you scroll up to the top of this blog and see who the racists really are...The latino commentator is simply angry at the ignorance some face today. So do not call a person who has to defend him or herself, a racist because they are simply lashing back at morans. And why should he/she go back to their country - if it weren't for what latinos contribute everyday - there'd be no country! You better recognize...
TCB wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez what a racist!! If it is so bad here for you go back to your home country.....
Old gray haired lady

Kalamazoo, MI

#53 Sep 19, 2008
Victor Lazslo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's of american descent. The americans who bought and built this country. Whites built this. We need to protect it.
No, white people stole this country from the Native Americans. Now, what few rights Native Americans have under treaties, signed by the government of the United States of America, are under assault by, guess who, more white people.
DRT2322

Grand Rapids, MI

#54 Sep 19, 2008
I live in Holland, and personally, I don't care if you are Mexican, white, black, or green. But if you are going to live in Holland, or any other city for that matter, please live there as a law abiding citizen. You want to know why everyone is slamming the Mexican's in Holland? Because we're sick of driving down the road and seeing Latin King gang signs spray painted on buildings.(Go ahead and call me racist, but remember that the name of the gang is LATIN KINGS - not hard to find out what ethnic groups are members) I used to work at one of the local grocery stores. If you need to ask me a question, please do so in English. I am very obviously white, therefore there is no reason for you to expect me to understand Spanish. I would not expect you to reply to my questions in English if I were at a store in Mexico or Spain or Guatemala, etc. And for NOBOA - I have no problem with immigration. My problem is with illegal immigration. I have to pay taxes out of my hard earned money to be able to enjoy the programs and services offered by this country. Therefore so should EVERYONE else who lives here. Go ahead and immigrate - just do so legally.
Zeeland Republican

Enterprise, AL

#56 Sep 19, 2008
More spi cs, more welfare, more crime. Not much else to say.

“love, loyalty, friendship”

Since: Sep 08

Dutchville

#57 Sep 19, 2008
Holland resident wrote:
I love all people but the these hispanic people come from all over to make money by picking berries and other farming stuff and that's fine; but are they legal to be here and their driving are so horrible. They drive like they're in Mexico and this is got to stop. I hate going to Walmart to because they drive the wrong way in the parking lot too much. It's just NOT safe for me to go shop there anymore since they take the whole neighbohood shopping with them. I don't know their culture much but why do the men stare at women/children from head to toes so much? it's sick and scary when they look at our young children like adults....
One time I was in a store when a Mexican (?) girl pushing a stroller bumped into me. I mumbled "excuse me", then she glared at me and called me something like "poonta". An older lady walking with her, that I took to be her Mom, smacked her right across the face.

From that, I get that the older generation is sick and tired of the younger generations lousy attitude too. I don't want to hate all Hispanic people, but it sure is hard NOT to hate people that act so AWFUL.
dont judge

United States

#58 Sep 19, 2008
I'd like to know what jobs illegals are taking from you??? They do the work that Americans think they are too good for Mexicans are the hardest working people out there. My daughter attends West OTtawa high school and you will be amazed at the number of "white" teenage girls pregnat.! As for the remark about mexican drunk driving that is terrible and i say that for any race but do you hear of mexican men or women killing there children or parents by drowning them or poisining them like you do the "white" race. NO! We need to stop hating because of the color of skin!! God created us all!! and i am including myself in that last remark. Im trying at least i can say that

Since: Jul 08

Portage, MI

#59 Sep 19, 2008
TCB wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez what a racist!! If it is so bad here for you go back to your home country.....
No kidding. If he/she needs help with directions...I'm sure Neko would be more than happy to help out :)

Since: Jul 08

Portage, MI

#60 Sep 19, 2008
Noboa wrote:
Funny, people are quick to call others racists..why don't you scroll up to the top of this blog and see who the racists really are...The latino commentator is simply angry at the ignorance some face today. So do not call a person who has to defend him or herself, a racist because they are simply lashing back at morans. And why should he/she go back to their country - if it weren't for what latinos contribute everyday - there'd be no country! You better recognize...
<quoted text>
Here's an idea....

Send all their illegal behinds back. Unless they want to stay here and work, then just send the rest of the family back. I don't need families growing and sucking up government money. Otherwise, get low risk prisoners out in chain gains and pick fruit. That way your fruits and veggies will stay at the low cost.

Win / Win :)
Lightsbeacon

Madison, WI

#61 Sep 19, 2008
My mother came to this country and had to learn to speak English and read in English. She was not given any option and thus had to learn it or be forever lost in this country. I have no problems with foreigners coming to this country to better themselves, but I do have a problem with foreigners who are illegal and committing crimes just as I do with a US citizen who do the same. Treat the criminals as they deserve to be treated, send the illegals back from where they came from. At the same time, I support those who work hard to better themselves and to help this country. There are many Latinos who serve on the armed forces. I honor them just as any. It doesn't matter what their race, color of their skin, just be an upstanding citizen, contribute to society, and obey the laws of this land and we all can get along.

If we were to go to war tomorrow and standing beside you is a Latino serving for our country, he is not Latino...he is a citizen of this country serving and protecting our country...he is our fellow comrade.

Jim B

River Rouge, MI

#63 Sep 19, 2008
Now you are talking! That is the way it used to be, come here, do your picking and go home in the fall. No need to bring the whole extended family with them. The schools are suffering, the social programs are suffering and we are footing the bill. Migrant worker means you come and go when we are done with you.
ListenUpNow wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's an idea....
Send all their illegal behinds back. Unless they want to stay here and work, then just send the rest of the family back. I don't need families growing and sucking up government money. Otherwise, get low risk prisoners out in chain gains and pick fruit. That way your fruits and veggies will stay at the low cost.
Win / Win :)
oyuwinnybs

Fennville, MI

#64 Sep 19, 2008
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, not only that, many of the underage Latino girls are being raped by men over 21 and they arent doing much about it but letting them collect welfare for the baby. Yes, I am tired of seeing them come here with out a nickel in their pocket and 5 years later, 2-3 kids and collecting welfare, health care and rent being paid for. Plus not charged with crimes like drunk driving.
Whites built what exactly? A town you can't even walk into a resteraunt without getting sneered at or gang signs painted on your shed? How about the people that are stuck up snotty as heck that think they own the whole dang town telling everyone else how to live! Exactly why Holland is always 3 degrees warmer then anywhere else in the state Too much hot air wasted on BS!
Jim

River Rouge, MI

#65 Sep 19, 2008
I heard that the government is forcing people to get a Guardasil injection before they enter the country. (and charging them $165 for it.) They are being used a human guinee (sp) pigs to test the safety of this new drug that has come under fire as being unsafe.
tim

Brookfield, WI

#66 Sep 19, 2008
It's all part of a plan used hundreds of years ago. When they outnumber whites, they will take over this Country. I would think by the year 2040. Good thing I'll be dead by then.
victorcharles

Grand Rapids, MI

#67 Sep 19, 2008
Pround Latin wrote:
Latino's and other minorities as you white people call it... will keep growing.. and the fact is.. soon all you white people will be the minorities and we will have a chance to treat you like crap the way you have treated others. History repeats itself except this time we will take over the country like your criminal ancestors did. So in reality crime started with whites you bunch of criminals!!!
do I smell racism?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ladies - Make $$ w/ your feet 3 hr you have severe p... 4
Work Release Inmate at Kent County facility die... (Mar '08) 15 hr Raine 12
Local News Women (Apr '09) Thu Hutch 2,339
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Jan 27 Go Blue Forever 1,565
4-year-old boya s family asks driver who hit th... Jan 27 Tah Boggin 4
And Yet Another Moonbat Insults Our Soldiers Jan 26 Oneal 10
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Jan 26 Dina 982
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:35 pm PST