Holland's Hispanic population growing

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

New census numbers show how the Hispanic population is growing, both in West Michigan and across the country.
Comments
21 - 40 of 381 Comments Last updated Apr 10, 2014
mimi

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2008

Judged:

First not all Hispanics are Mexicans, and second not all Mexicans are illegal. I just hate it when somebody refers to hispanics all being from Mexico, there's alot of people here from Guatemala, el Salvador, Argentina etc.
h townesr

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2008

Angel Eyes wrote:
All we see around here are Mexicans and other non-whites.... can't go anywhere without bunches of them walking around with 5 kids and pregnant..... so tired of them taking our jobs and taking over!!! Seen some 15 yr. old Mexican yesterday in the store very pregnant -- is that all they do???
I think there is many Hispanic people in holland and I noe some yung girls who are
pregenet its dumb
h townesr

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2008

mimi wrote:
First not all Hispanics are Mexicans, and second not all Mexicans are illegal. I just hate it when somebody refers to hispanics all being from Mexico, there's alot of people here from Guatemala, el Salvador, Argentina etc.
yuo right that's were my. Bro inlaws from one from guatemala the other el Salvador
h townesr

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2008

Judged:

turdshooter wrote:
should have started shooting them effers when they first came to town. they are worthless baby making machines who survive off our tax $$$.
get p!ssed b-cuz i voice my opnion. i dont care. i HATE MEXICANS. they stink and live like rats.
harsh stop hating hater I don't care if you hate Mexican cause I'm not Mexican so to bad hating is a waste of time you hater
Shep

Traverse City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2008

la cucaracha, la cucaracha

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2008

Judged:

Angel Eyes wrote:
All we see around here are Mexicans and other non-whites.... can't go anywhere without bunches of them walking around with 5 kids and pregnant..... so tired of them taking our jobs and taking over!!! Seen some 15 yr. old Mexican yesterday in the store very pregnant -- is that all they do???
I have two questions for you:

1. How did you know she was Mexican?

2. How do you know she is 15 years old?

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2008

Pround Latin wrote:
Latino's and other minorities as you white people call it... will keep growing.. and the fact is.. soon all you white people will be the minorities and we will have a chance to treat you like crap the way you have treated others. History repeats itself except this time we will take over the country like your criminal ancestors did. So in reality crime started with whites you bunch of criminals!!!
Not with my ancestors!
plick ruta

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2008

Judged:

Cletus Snow wrote:
Holland's crime rate and welfare rate are growing as well. Look at the gang activity there now. That was unheard of 10 years ago. What used to be a nice town has turned into a cesspool. The tulip festival we knew twenty years ago is all but destroyed. Most of these vermin are likey illegals.
I certainly hope those who are not from Holland do not judge us by comments like these. This type of comment comes from either David Duke or possibly Hitler's ghost. I have lived here over 24 years & the people who I know, friends, neighbors, church family don't harbor these hateful, racist views. I have the pleasure of teaching in a public school outside of Holland. I have Hispanic, Anglo, African American students. They are, for the most part, all fine young men & women. I have met many of the parents. They are also fine men & women. I am guessing the authors of this filth are not Native American. I am guessing @ one time or another their relatives came here as immigrants. My relatives came here from Germany. My father tells me the German community in Northern Illinois was very isolated: by choice! They kept the language, had German schools, etc. I even have a copy of my great grandparents' marriage certificate. Married here, but certificate is in German. Dutch was spoken in one RCA church here in town until 1947. 100 yrs after Van Raalte brought the flock to these shores. How much German is spoken in my family today: none. Pretty stupid, no? The Hispanics have the intelligence to retain their language. Will make them far more marketable in the global economy. The Hispanic population is also the fastest growing segment of the US population, so from a strictly business dollars & cents perpsective to alienate them makes no sense @ all. I just hope you do not have kids. Don't poison their minds. Diversity is a good thing. It is what makes this land work. Their world is not your world. My kid, many times, is the only blue eyed, blonde haired kid on the playground. You know what! It doesn't matter. They have a great time playing together. They really don't care. You shouldn't either. Get over it. The world is changing. If I were a Mexican dad & I couldn't find a job to support my wife & kid or my kid would have a much better chance @ a better future by crossing a border, I would do it. No questions asked! Build the wall. It won't work. You would do the very same thing. We have seen this w drugs. Until demand is wiped out, supply will continue. You want cheap lawn care. You want cheap fast food. You don't want to work the fields. I don't either. Demand is there, supply will follow.
Lose the hate. Get a life.
Minding Your Business

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

Judged:

Pround Latin wrote:
Latino's and other minorities as you white people call it... will keep growing.. and the fact is.. soon all you white people will be the minorities and we will have a chance to treat you like crap the way you have treated others. History repeats itself except this time we will take over the country like your criminal ancestors did. So in reality crime started with whites you bunch of criminals!!!
Jeez, do you know how many times I have heard the Grand Plan of the United States takeover? It's not only stupid, it's ignorant and shows your lack of education. We didn't STEAL this country. We won it AND bought it. WE made it what it is. Not you and your crybaby race. If you had kept it, you not only wouldn't have gotten the $15,000,000.00 to further the corruption in your own government, but New Mexico, Arizona and California would just be more land that you would not be able to work in.

You keep breeding those anchor babies. Before you ever get to realize your "plans", think about how you and yours are going to support all of them when you all finally get sent back to Mexico. It will happen, eventually. You have to know that. There are dozens of illegal immigration forums in Topix originating from all over the country. If the Government doesn't step up and address this issue soon, some of those people are ready to address it themselves. I'm not saying that is the way to go, I am saying it is the way it IS going to go.

"History repeats itself except this time we will take over the country like your criminal ancestors did."??? I say history will repeat itself, just not the way you think. I think it will be more like, we kicked your a$$es in 1848 and we'll decimate you this time. Like I've said, it takes Mexico 9 months to make a "soldier" and 18 years to train them. How long do you think this population take over will take? We are still having babies too.

You need to "check" you attitude. It does not help your "cause". You will NEVER be in a position to treat us like "crap". This is our country and you just need to get over it. The LAND was yours, once upon a time, not what was built on it after you sold it. Get your own lives.
skim tubick

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

Judged:

Minding Your Business wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeez, do you know how many times I have heard the Grand Plan of the United States takeover? It's not only stupid, it's ignorant and shows your lack of education. We didn't STEAL this country. We won it AND bought it. WE made it what it is. Not you and your crybaby race. If you had kept it, you not only wouldn't have gotten the $15,000,000.00 to further the corruption in your own government, but New Mexico, Arizona and California would just be more land that you would not be able to work in.
You keep breeding those anchor babies. Before you ever get to realize your "plans", think about how you and yours are going to support all of them when you all finally get sent back to Mexico. It will happen, eventually. You have to know that. There are dozens of illegal immigration forums in Topix originating from all over the country. If the Government doesn't step up and address this issue soon, some of those people are ready to address it themselves. I'm not saying that is the way to go, I am saying it is the way it IS going to go.
"History repeats itself except this time we will take over the country like your criminal ancestors did."??? I say history will repeat itself, just not the way you think. I think it will be more like, we kicked your **** es in 1848 and we'll decimate you this time. Like I've said, it takes Mexico 9 months to make a "soldier" and 18 years to train them. How long do you think this population take over will take? We are still having babies too.
You need to "check" you attitude. It does not help your "cause". You will NEVER be in a position to treat us like "crap". This is our country and you just need to get over it. The LAND was yours, once upon a time, not what was built on it after you sold it. Get your own lives.
Wow. We need to harness that anger & send you to Iraq. Then Afghanistan. Can bring back the rest of our professional soldiers & have you Rambo the whole thing. Got hate, pal? Seems so. Your wife must love havin you in la casa. Hope you don't spew that venom in the presence of your kids or grandkids. More lil Klanners runnin around. John Burch society still around? If so, run for Grand Dragon or their equivalent. Find a hobby. Maybe I'll see ya @ Taco Bell?
Minding Your Business

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

Judged:

To "plick ruta"

You mention German immigrants. How many of them immigrated here within a 1 year span? I'll bet it wasn't 1.4 million. I don't ever recall learning in school or even hearing in a conversation that the German immigrants, who came here by legal means, tried to influence the traditional American culture by refusing to learn English so that Americans were forced to learn Spanish to accommodate them. They also worked their buns off to make it here and become true "Americans". I'll bet you every one of them learned English and loved it. The difference between legal immigrants and illegal immigrants is love for this country. Those who came here legally, proved their allegiance to the USA by following the rules. For that they all have my total respect. They proved that they are assets to our country by obeying the law, paying the fees and waiting for their citizenship. They didn't sneak in here, hide, then demand automatic citizenship because they managed to evade the law for years. To look the other way is total stupidity and hypocrisy. Our prisons are full of non-violent American law-breakers. What a lesson to teach our children. How can you not see that 1.4 million people, in ONE YEAR, is a major drain on our systems and schools.

Just because they work the fields and other lowly jobs doesn't represent integrity. It means that they don't have a choice because a real, good paying job would mean that they had to prove citizenship or a legal status and their chances of being caught and deported would be greater. They do these jobs to stay under the radar, make a few bucks to send to Mexico, where the dollar is worth about 10x more, then survive off the wonderful welfare system. The Census Bureau estimates that there are, right now, OVER 12 million illegal immigrants (from Mexico mostly), in this country. 12 million voices that could be in Mexico trying to make the changes that need to be made to better their lives.

I am somewhat concerned that you stated you are a teacher and then made the statement about border crossings. You need to specify that you would do it LEGALLY or you are in the wrong profession. Ignoring the laws that we have passed, for national security reasons, is a crime. The reason for committing the crime does not excuse it. Your support of these people is aiding and abetting. Otherwise, you need to be coming to the defense of the thieves and embezzlers who are desperate for money to pay their bills and eat. They just want a better life too. I'm sick and tired of the weak defense of those who intentionally and without care, break the law to come to this country. They are criminals, I don't care what "fine" people they and their kids are. I don't care how rotten it is in their own country. US citizens do what we can to make our country better when it is in trouble or turmoil. We don't just pack up and say the heck with the law, I'm going to live and work wherever I want.

And just for the record. Most Americans do not have Hispanics mowing their lawns and many of us, in today's world, would be HAPPY to work the fields to help feed our kids if the illegal population hadn't lowered the working wage for the rest of us. Why would anybody hire me for a fair wage if they can pay an illegal half of that and never worry about benefits or insurance or any other things that the average American would expect with employment. For that matter, if the jobs are open to ALL why is it that I NEVER see any job postings for these kinds of jobs? I am not even given the opportunity to fill those positions, let alone actually work them. So, people like you can say that we "won't" do them. Ludicrous.

I, personally, have always tried to teach my children that crime DOESN'T pay and they will be punished if they break the law. How do I explain to them why the Mexican illegal down the street is "excused" from punishment for breaking a Federal Law?
Minding Your Business

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

Judged:

skim tubick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. We need to harness that anger & send you to Iraq. Then Afghanistan. Can bring back the rest of our professional soldiers & have you Rambo the whole thing. Got hate, pal? Seems so. Your wife must love havin you in la casa. Hope you don't spew that venom in the presence of your kids or grandkids. More lil Klanners runnin around. John Burch society still around? If so, run for Grand Dragon or their equivalent. Find a hobby. Maybe I'll see ya @ Taco Bell?
Pull the race card, you all do. I'm not talking about the Mexican race as a whole. I am only talking about the illegal immigrants that disregard our laws everyday by entering this country without following the procedures that have been set in place for our SECURITY and then screaming entitlement. Then you get the morons that claim that they are taking over our country and there is nothing we can do about it and we "stole" it and all that same repetative crap they spew because they can't come up with an intelligent response or comment. If you were a TRUE American, this would cause you some concern, too. Obviously, you have not yet had to deal with the issue of illegal immigration in your neighborhood or needed food because you can't find a decent full-time job, had to go to FIA to beg for help and be basically told too bad while you look around and see that 80% of the people in there are Hispanic and none of them speak English. I would expect that, as a US born citizen and taxpayer that I would be given a type of "priority" for assistance over someone without documentation, but with plenty of US born babies.

It's not anger, it's common sense. I don't have a dang thing against any race in this country, as long as they are here legally and obey the laws set forth for our own protection. I am not a racist and this is NOT a racial issue, for me, anyways. It is a social issue and my feelings apply to ALL persons in this country illegally, not matter where they originate from or what color their skin is. I'm all for deporting the british girl who stabbed the little girl on the bus. She's white, she's illegal, she needs to go home.

I resent being called a racist. I am an AVID KKK opponent. I hate haters who hate based only on skin color. So, unless you actually have something significant and on topic to offer us who just want to have our opinions heard, save your generalizations and insults to the ones on here that actually deserve it. I am not one of those calling all Mexicans filthy vermon and they all need to be killed. That's ridiculous and racist. I know some filthy white vermon that would give any Mexican a run for their money.

Which Taco Bell do you work at? I'll look you up.

P.S. If I had a "wife" you'd probably be revealing your homophobia and outrage against same sex marriage, but, since same sex marriages aren't legal in Michigan, yet, I would have to choose a husband, if I wanted to, and my kids are all grown and make their own choices and form their own opinions. One thing that I'll bet you can't say that I can is that I raised my children to be intolerant of crime. That they do not owe any loyalty to a criminal. There was a time when that lesson was respectable and meant something. Now, it seems, society can dictate what laws to enforce and what laws to ignore. Which law can I break and get a "pass" on being punished for? I'll tell you, NONE! Talk about discrimination?
Americans speak English

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

Judged:

What burns me is the border jumpers who come here and pop out kids on American soil. The American tax payer is stuck with the hospital bill. And because the little rodent was born on American soil, he/she is a citizen. Being a minor, the mother usually gets asylum and welfare.
To me, the reason Hispanics have so many kids is to serve two purposes: 1) to fatten the welfare check and 2) to serve as anti-deportation insurance.
My backyard neighbors are Hispanic and I've put up a fence to keep their kids out of my yard. The rodents now climb the fence. Talking with the parents doesn't work due to the language barrier. Tempted to plant poison ivy or rose bushes but I'd probably get sued.
skim tubick

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

Judged:

You say you are a parent. I really don't care one way or the other about same sex marriage. Do what you've gotta do. As a parent, however, I am sure that you would cross any river, any fence, do whatever it took to insure a better life for your family. That is what these people are doing. They are not Al Qaeda. They are just trying to provide for their families. The demand for their services is there, otherwise they would not take the risks they do to come here. I personally do my own lawn. I enjoy it, but many of my neighbors do have Jorge & Manuel do theirs. I have heard of local builders who have gone to potentially illegal workers. The demand is there. It is like drugs. We like cheap fast food. We like cheap car detailing. Maybe not you or me, but enough of us native born American citizens that the demand is there for their services. The demand is there, the supply will follow. Hence our great success in stopping the flow of illegal drugs.
W your argument about following laws. Some laws are, quite frankly stupid. Using your logic if you had lived in Nazi Germany you would have turned in a Jewish neighbor because it was "the law". You would not have followed Gandhi's boycott of the salt tax in India because it was against "the law". You would have excluded African Americans from voting in Mississippi in 1965 because it was "the law". You would have supported Nelson Mandela's imprisonment on Robyn Island for 27 years and the oppression of the majority Black population in South Africa because it was "the law". I don't need to go on.
I am an educator. Each & every one of the students that comes through my door gets the same amount of respect & dignity as any other. I do not care if they are documented, legal, whatever. I do not work for the Border Patrol, INS or Homeland Security. That would be their job. My job is to encourage & equip the leaders of tomorrow. Any kind of racial profiling would be illegal, immoral, & unethical in my line of work. As a parent I also find any kind of ill will directed @ any person, gays included, to be repugnant. Enough hate out there already. My son will not be exposed to it @ home. As a Christian I refuse to get sucked into this hate, too. Red & yellow, black & white, all are precious in His sight.
Lose the hate. Take out your frustration @ the polls. As the Great One asked many years ago: "Ask yourself; Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?" Vote Barack. Make the change.
Minding Your Business

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

skim tubick wrote:
You say you are a parent. I really don't care one way or the other about same sex marriage. Do what you've gotta do. As a parent, however, I am sure that you would cross any river, any fence, do whatever it took to insure a better life for your family. That is what these people are doing. They are not Al Qaeda. They are just trying to provide for their families. The demand for their services is there, otherwise they would not take the risks they do to come here...
I would not endanger the lives of my children by entering another country illegally. There is ALWAYS a way to survive and I would NOT teach my children that it is okay to break any law to improve their lives. It is the same as saying that it is okay to steal as long as it improves your life. That's a copout. Fix what's wrong, don't breed a generation of future criminals thinking that they get to decide with laws are "stupid" and can be ignored. I think a lot of laws are stupid, too. That does not change the fact that they are laws and must be obeyed. Since no one seems to be able to stay in the present and constantly brings up irrelevent events from the past, I don't know what I would do if I lived in Nazi Germany or what I may or may not have done in any of those situations. Neither do you. It's a completely different era with different ideals and dreams and expectations.
As far as educating tomorrows "leaders", that would be the legal citizens of the United States, not the illegal child that you are educating, they will not ever lead in this country. Or is that one of those stupid laws that don't need to be obeyed?

your thoughts on supply and demand are backwards. It we stem the flow of drugs, the demand will decrease, the price of gas has proven that.

Call me a hater, I don't care, I know where I stand on this issue and that hate is not a part of it. What you think doesn't matter to me because what I think doesn't matter to you. We agree to disagree. I still find it very distrubing that an educator of our children not only condones breaking the law for personal gain, but encourages it. A law is a law is a law. Stupid or not.
P.S. Would you mind signing some kind of document that INSURES, WITHOUT A SINGLE DOUBT that members of Al Qaeda or any other terrorist organization has NOT crossed our border from the South and holds you personally responsible if they have? When we are attacked from within, AGAIN, you will NOT point the finger of blame at me. That is a fact.
waste of air

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2008

Judged:

I knew this problem 20 years ago. As the old folks were passing in Holland, The mexicans were moving in. I guess that brings new light to the phrase "There goes the neighborhood"
Eleven

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2008

Judged:

What is a "Pround Latin" anyway? Is that like saying Proud Latin, but not learning English?
Mick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2008

Who employed these people as fruit pickers? Eh? Did the block-head dutch actually expect they'd stick around only seasonally to pluck fruit off of their trees, thereby making them money, then go home until next season???

And for those complaining about the fact "we're losing our jobs" to illegals--while I agree 100% that they all should be deported, even the whiners they birth here--I'd like to see you go out and pick fruit for a living.

Oh, wait. Never mind--fruit picking doesn't entail at least sixteen dollars an hour, insurance, vacation pay, and sick days.

Put the fault where it's due, people.
Fuel for the fire -

Muskegon, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2008

Minding Your Business wrote:
<quoted text>
"History repeats itself except this time we will take over the country like your criminal ancestors did."??? I say history will repeat itself, just not the way you think. I think it will be more like, we kicked your **** es in 1848 and we'll decimate you this time. Like I've said, it takes Mexico 9 months to make a "soldier" and 18 years to train them. How long do you think this population take over will take? We are still having babies too.
"Remember the Alamo" ?
Holland resident

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2008

I love all people but the these hispanic people come from all over to make money by picking berries and other farming stuff and that's fine; but are they legal to be here and their driving are so horrible. They drive like they're in Mexico and this is got to stop. I hate going to Walmart to because they drive the wrong way in the parking lot too much. It's just NOT safe for me to go shop there anymore since they take the whole neighbohood shopping with them. I don't know their culture much but why do the men stare at women/children from head to toes so much? it's sick and scary when they look at our young children like adults....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 4 hr Buffalo Bull 1,324
why war with isis? 11 hr kookierecluse 17
Liberty University Law School Dean: Gay Marriag... 11 hr DNF 313
Plafkin Brothers-McDonalds, Home of the Famous ... (Jun '13) 15 hr Kelly Hadd 8
Cousins hope to open Grand Rapids' first hostel... 16 hr Faith 3
Local News Women (Apr '09) Tue Zee 2,297
Ellen Bacca Fan Club Tue Lindon 1
•••
•••
•••

Grand Rapids Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000