First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SueT

Plainwell, MI

#21 Jan 18, 2010
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
What I do understand is that the need far outweighs the restrictions placed on immigrants wanting to come from there. I know that we can't just open our borders to the kind of land rush we saw during the Mariel Boatlift. But I can only shake my head is disbelieve that you can say that life isn't THAT bad than to live in some places there. The next time you take your cruise to some vacation resort along the Mexican shores, ask to take a day trip into the neighborhoods where those friendly folks who wait on you live. Of course you'll be told that you're crazy, and that no Gringo is going to survive such a trip. And if you didn't know, the term is not a friendly one. While these folks strive to make a livable wage, they must retreat each day from resorts full of ugly americans to a home life that you couldn't or wouldn't be able to handle.
If you'd like to, go to you boss and tell them you want a paycut down to about 50% of what it takes to actaully live. Toss out your microwave and that self cleaning oven, then tell your wife to cook dinner on a fuel stove outside in the front of your tin shack. After dark, you can sit with your family and watch the lights twinkle from over the gated fences where you aren't allowed to visit and enjoy. But you are good enough to go there to work. Not for a decent wage, but maybe enough to survive.
Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who gets a job at that auto factory, or at some other Yankee company. You'll get paid maybe $2 -$3 per/hour for your efforts, and you won't get any of the benefits the american workers used to get. Of course that is nowhere near what a migrant farm worker makes, and maybe you'll talk about that with your neighbors at night.
You really need to try getting a little insight into how life really is there. As a matter of fact, it much the same all over the world. And the one beacon that shines the way to a better life, sits right there in New York's harbor. It shines all the way across this country to cross our southern border. It shines across not onyl the Atlantic ocean, but the Pacific as well. But for some reason, you and so many others want to extinguish that light. For some reason, you have lost sight of why your family came to these shores.
Maybe this will shed some light on facts of illegals living within our boarders. I for one am all for shutting down the boarders unless you have valid documents for your being here.
morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/view/letters/4... ·

Each day up to another 10,000 Illegal Aliens are pouring across our Borders. Our Politicians and President have sold This Nation out to Big Business, the Mexican Drug Cartel & to the racist hate group La Raza!

62% of all "undocumented immigrants" in the United States are working for cash and not paying taxes, predominantly illegal aliens, working without a green card;

95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens;

83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix are for illegal aliens;

86% of warrants for murder in Albuquerque are for illegal aliens;

75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Albuquerque are illegal aliens;

No ethnic group in the U.S. is producing out-of-wedlock children at a higher rate than Hispanics.

More than 380,000 "anchor babies" were born in the United States in 2005 were to parents who are illegal aliens; making those 380,000 babies automatically U.S. citizens. 97.2% of all costs incurred from those births were paid by the American taxpayer;

More than 66% of all births in California are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal whose births were paid for by taxpayers;

24.9% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally;

40.1% of all inmates in Arizona detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally;
Gretchen

Sewickley, PA

#22 Jan 18, 2010
fr SueT:

>...We are told that we must ignore the breaking of immigration laws by illegals because they are here only to do jobs Americans will not do and besides, many do pay taxes....<

I have a little surprise for you. Anyone born on the American continent IS an American. I suggest a geography course for you.

“LETS DO THIS!”

Since: Mar 09

Ionia

#23 Jan 18, 2010
SueT wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe this will shed some light on facts of illegals living within our boarders. I for one am all for shutting down the boarders unless you have valid documents for your being here.
morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/view/letters/4... ·
Each day up to another 10,000 Illegal Aliens are pouring across our Borders. Our Politicians and President have sold This Nation out to Big Business, the Mexican Drug Cartel & to the racist hate group La Raza!
62% of all "undocumented immigrants" in the United States are working for cash and not paying taxes, predominantly illegal aliens, working without a green card;
95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens;
83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix are for illegal aliens;
86% of warrants for murder in Albuquerque are for illegal aliens;
75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Albuquerque are illegal aliens;
No ethnic group in the U.S. is producing out-of-wedlock children at a higher rate than Hispanics.
More than 380,000 "anchor babies" were born in the United States in 2005 were to parents who are illegal aliens; making those 380,000 babies automatically U.S. citizens. 97.2% of all costs incurred from those births were paid by the American taxpayer;
More than 66% of all births in California are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal whose births were paid for by taxpayers;
24.9% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally;
40.1% of all inmates in Arizona detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally;
Wow, those are nice hard facts. Thank you.
SueT

Plainwell, MI

#25 Jan 18, 2010
Gretchen wrote:
fr SueT:
>...We are told that we must ignore the breaking of immigration laws by illegals because they are here only to do jobs Americans will not do and besides, many do pay taxes....<
I have a little surprise for you. Anyone born on the American continent IS an American. I suggest a geography course for you.
I suggest you finish reading the rest.

Kalamazoo

#26 Jan 18, 2010
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
If what I'm saying is wrong, then please explain in a truthful manner, the reason so many are trying to come here......

..... But they can see that this country offers much more opportunity than the nations they come from.....
Yeah, those are the people that see that we have dumbed down ourselves through our liberal guided education systems and created a bunch of pie in the sky, coexister do-gooders like yourself that PREACH the right thing to do is to continue to dole out public dollars to entitlements that seriously go unchecked and unaccounted for.

You said in another post: "we spend billions of dollars in aid each year to try to help the citizens of many countries much worse off than we could ever dream of."

Well – we do so as well within our own borders – year after year. Yet we still have the same people (year after year) getting in line – for that ‘charity’. Most of those illegal immigrants are just looking for the free ride – just as much as our own ‘down trodden’ do. Hand outs are a failure with our own citizens, as they will be with illegals.

How’s the 3 billion we spent in Haiti helped those less fortunate souls since 1992? Seriously – there are better ways to ‘help’– and you know that. But, as I have in the past pointed out to you, your idealism and political agenda NEEDS the most people possible depending on the ‘help’(hand out) to keep you and your kind viable.
Bob

Big Rapids, MI

#27 Jan 18, 2010
moonBeam1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, those are the people that see that we have dumbed down ourselves through our liberal guided education systems and created a bunch of pie in the sky, coexister do-gooders like yourself that PREACH the right thing to do is to continue to dole out public dollars to entitlements that seriously go unchecked and unaccounted for.
You said in another post: "we spend billions of dollars in aid each year to try to help the citizens of many countries much worse off than we could ever dream of."
Well – we do so as well within our own borders – year after year. Yet we still have the same people (year after year) getting in line – for that ‘charity’. Most of those illegal immigrants are just looking for the free ride – just as much as our own ‘down trodden’ do. Hand outs are a failure with our own citizens, as they will be with illegals.
How’s the 3 billion we spent in Haiti helped those less fortunate souls since 1992? Seriously – there are better ways to ‘help’– and you know that. But, as I have in the past pointed out to you, your idealism and political agenda NEEDS the most people possible depending on the ‘help’(hand out) to keep you and your kind viable.
So if I understand this, George Bush is as you call us, a Pie in the sky do-gooder? He is the guy that vastly increased the amount of funding for the fight against AIDs in, wait for it, Africa. That would mean in your book that Bill Gates was one of us pansy types too? How much money has he spread around the globe? As a matter of fact, every administration/congress has approved aid for countries all across the globe. Any idea of why?

If your comprehension skills were better, you would have noticed that I stated that there was reason for all that aid. Something about the pragmatic realist ring a bell?

Well Bubba, it's a dang good thing you took that there MEOW off from your avatar, cuz no REAL American (read as yellow toothed redneck) wants to be another name fer a cat. Even if you most likely are one.

Kalamazoo

#28 Jan 18, 2010
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
So if I understand this, George Bush is as you call us, a Pie in the sky do-gooder? He is the guy that vastly increased the amount of funding for the fight against AIDs in, wait for it, Africa. That would mean in your book that Bill Gates was one of us pansy types too? How much money has he spread around the globe? As a matter of fact, every administration/congress has approved aid for countries all across the globe. Any idea of why?
If your comprehension skills were better, you would have noticed that I stated that there was reason for all that aid. Something about the pragmatic realist ring a bell?
Well Bubba, it's a dang good thing you took that there MEOW off from your avatar, cuz no REAL American (read as yellow toothed redneck) wants to be another name fer a cat. Even if you most likely are one.
Hey Kashi Bob - you should probably apologize to your keyboard for just wasting a bunch of key punches. That there was sad.

I have to go. Bill Gates is here demanding & collecting money from our paychecks for his altruistic affairs.

“LETS DO THIS!”

Ionia

#29 Jan 18, 2010
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I love how you left wing nutjobs always spread the word of compassion and then you are the first to be extremely judgmental of others that don't share your views. So what bobby boy is saying is that if you don't agree with him you are a yellow toothed redneck!?!?!? Wow, that absolutely makes no sense and only reinforces the demanding ways of the left-wing extremists. By the way bob-arooni if you really understood what a redneck was you wouldn't make such hasty remarks. Rednecks were a Virginia coal miners union that used red handkerchiefs and hung them around their necks as a symbol of identity. So before you spout your liberal hate think about what you are saying. You need to tone down the bashing of others and there opinions.
SueT

Plainwell, MI

#30 Jan 18, 2010
spartymclion wrote:
<quoted text>
I love how you left wing nutjobs always spread the word of compassion and then you are the first to be extremely judgmental of others that don't share your views. So what bobby boy is saying is that if you don't agree with him you are a yellow toothed redneck!?!?!? Wow, that absolutely makes no sense and only reinforces the demanding ways of the left-wing extremists. By the way bob-arooni if you really understood what a redneck was you wouldn't make such hasty remarks. Rednecks were a Virginia coal miners union that used red handkerchiefs and hung them around their necks as a symbol of identity. So before you spout your liberal hate think about what you are saying. You need to tone down the bashing of others and there opinions.
Libs definition of Freedom of Speech - "Say anything you want, as long as you agree with me."
snomad

Allendale, MI

#31 Jan 18, 2010
Sheriff Arpaio rules with a heavy hand. Good, we need more like him. Overstepping his boundaries? Possibly, but obviously either AZ state law allows so or his interpretation of the law(s) is flawed. I believe the biggest issue at point is the “racial profiling” claim of immigrants. I’m sure there is “profiling”, especially with the large influx of illegal’s in the area. Everyone profiles others all the time. See 4 teenagers (any race) with hoods up, hanging around a 7-11, what is the 1st thing that crosses your mind? Hmm… wonder what they are up to? Stop the illegal invasion and the current (if any)“profiling” will diminish. Sheriff Joe can then go back to profiling bald people with tattoos. No racial insinuation there. People cry about migrants, illegal or not taking jobs; yet tie the hands of enforcement. Get off the fence.

I have no issue with migrants trying to make a better life for themselves and family. I do however take issue with these “visa holders“, although earning substandard pay, living off my tax dollars via subsidized housing, food and free medical while depositing a nice chunk’o cash south of the border each week. I have worked side by side with Hispanics in the past. One young man in particular (25yrs. old?) explained how he was in essence, getting wealthy (By Mexico standards). With all the “freebies” provided him here while on visa and working a bit of overtime, he was able to send a minimum of $400 wk. to his Mom in Mexico to be banked.$18-20k a year. He had his eye on a nice, productive chicken ranch near his Mom and although he would not get "extremely rich“ with its operation, he would live a very comfortable lifestyle. One day he doesn’t “punch in”@ the clock, but had just stopped to say goodbye to everyone as he was on his way south to his new home and business. Pictures he showed were of a very nice “small?” ranch/hobby farm of about 100 acres (w/guest house). Anything less than 200 acres is generally considered a hobby farm. One could hardly buy the equipment (tractor, truck, machinery, etc…) here in the US for what he paid for the whole show @$60k USD… if I recall correctly. 2 visa trips to West Michigan afforded him this. I remember thinking “good for him”, yet @ the same time I felt like I had been somewhat swindled. Not necessarily by him, but by our system. The “freebies” obtained came out of my pocket, your pocket and everyone else who pays taxes.

Empathy says; “Let them come and seek” just as my ancestors did. However, with Americas’ economy and the “dog eat dog” attitude, just trying to survive and hold onto what I have accumulated lessens my consideration for “giving” per se’. Without south of the border labor, employers would be forced to pay American citizens @ least minimum wage (with exception to piece/commission) and certain agricultural work. For some reason (employment of migrants), agricultural work is/was an exception to wage laws… not sure if it still is. This industry (especially) has long since found the avenues to creating wealth by way of slave labor and/or subsidized tax dollars. Come out Ottawa County way and see the acreage these businesses are scooping. Ultimately, your tax dollars help them prosper. If we are going to give “freebies” to anyone, it should be American citizens, entering the labor pool @ minimum wage, etc…. The new (Michigan) laws regarding those receiving assistance be compelled to work… good. Why did it take so long is the question I have? Charity starts @ home.

“Everybody gets one (L)”

Since: Apr 09

Schaumburg, IL

#32 Jan 18, 2010
moonBeam1 wrote:
...I have to go. Bill Gates is here demanding & collecting money from our paychecks for his altruistic affairs.
and...... home run!
GOPer

Jackson, MI

#33 Jan 18, 2010
The US has an immigration policy for LEGAL immigration into this nation of ours. Anyone abiding by the rules and laws are welcome here. This country is the only one I know of that caters to illegals.

I am also tired of pressing 1 for English.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#34 Jan 18, 2010
Good Day,

As other's have mentioned, what about following the law?

Can we reform (hate using that word in it's "modern" connotation...) immigration? Absolutely, so long as we stay away from ammnesty. There are programs in effect today that with a little tweek here or there could greatly improve the situation. Let them come over, but they must be documented and be given a "foriegn worker" I.D. Apply at a border station, wait for back ground check and then procede from there. We can streamline the current system. If they wish to become a citizen and enjoy all the freedoms and rights of an American (voting for example) then they have to prove it. Stay out of trouble and check in with authorities over say a 3-5 year period. If they successfully pass this test, then off to take citizenry classes. I have no problem with immigration, so long as it is legal.

Steelie
Bob

Big Rapids, MI

#35 Jan 18, 2010
moonBeam1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Kashi Bob - you should probably apologize to your keyboard for just wasting a bunch of key punches. That there was sad.
I have to go. Bill Gates is here demanding & collecting money from our paychecks for his altruistic affairs.
Just remember Moonie, I enjoy munching on a Granola bar. How does that teabag taste?
Sandy

Grand Rapids, MI

#36 Jan 18, 2010
Gretchen wrote:
fr SueT:
I suggest you read the Constitution a little more carefully. That is NOT what it says, but you libs keep hoping!
SueT

Plainwell, MI

#37 Jan 18, 2010
I am thinking, for every one illegal that crosses the boarder into the U.S. we send Mexico 5 liberals.

It shouldn't take long before the issue of illegals is solved. They'll be screaming to get their people back.
Sandy

Grand Rapids, MI

#38 Jan 18, 2010
SueT wrote:
I am thinking, for every one illegal that crosses the boarder into the U.S. we send Mexico 5 liberals.
It shouldn't take long before the issue of illegals is solved. They'll be screaming to get their people back.
Sounds like a fair trade to me, of course, they have their own group of liberals down there, but what's 12 million more?

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#39 Jan 18, 2010
Great Post snomad.
snomad wrote:
Sheriff Arpaio rules with a heavy hand. Good, we need more like him. Overstepping his boundaries? Possibly, but obviously either AZ state law allows so or his interpretation of the law(s) is flawed. I believe the biggest issue at point is the “racial profiling” claim of immigrants. I’m sure there is “profiling”, especially with the large influx of illegal’s in the area. Everyone profiles others all the time. See 4 teenagers (any race) with hoods up, hanging around a 7-11, what is the 1st thing that crosses your mind? Hmm… wonder what they are up to? Stop the illegal invasion and the current (if any)“profiling” will diminish. Sheriff Joe can then go back to profiling bald people with tattoos. No racial insinuation there. People cry about migrants, illegal or not taking jobs; yet tie the hands of enforcement. Get off the fence.
I have no issue with migrants trying to make a better life for themselves and family. I do however take issue with these “visa holders“, although earning substandard pay, living off my tax dollars via subsidized housing, food and free medical while depositing a nice chunk’o cash south of the border each week. I have worked side by side with Hispanics in the past. One young man in particular (25yrs. old?) explained how he was in essence, getting wealthy (By Mexico standards). With all the “freebies” provided him here while on visa and working a bit of overtime, he was able to send a minimum of $400 wk. to his Mom in Mexico to be banked.$18-20k a year. He had his eye on a nice, productive chicken ranch near his Mom and although he would not get "extremely rich“ with its operation, he would live a very comfortable lifestyle. One day he doesn’t “punch in”@ the clock, but had just stopped to say goodbye to everyone as he was on his way south to his new home and business. Pictures he showed were of a very nice “small?” ranch/hobby farm of about 100 acres (w/guest house). Anything less than 200 acres is generally considered a hobby farm. One could hardly buy the equipment (tractor, truck, machinery, etc…) here in the US for what he paid for the whole show @$60k USD… if I recall correctly. 2 visa trips to West Michigan afforded him this. I remember thinking “good for him”, yet @ the same time I felt like I had been somewhat swindled. Not necessarily by him, but by our system. The “freebies” obtained came out of my pocket, your pocket and everyone else who pays taxes.
Empathy says; “Let them come and seek” just as my ancestors did. However, with Americas’ economy and the “dog eat dog” attitude, just trying to survive and hold onto what I have accumulated lessens my consideration for “giving” per se’. Without south of the border labor, employers would be forced to pay American citizens @ least minimum wage (with exception to piece/commission) and certain agricultural work. For some reason (employment of migrants), agricultural work is/was an exception to wage laws… not sure if it still is. This industry (especially) has long since found the avenues to creating wealth by way of slave labor and/or subsidized tax dollars. Come out Ottawa County way and see the acreage these businesses are scooping. Ultimately, your tax dollars help them prosper. If we are going to give “freebies” to anyone, it should be American citizens, entering the labor pool @ minimum wage, etc…. The new (Michigan) laws regarding those receiving assistance be compelled to work… good. Why did it take so long is the question I have? Charity starts @ home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grand Rapids; a good place to live? (Mar '12) 6 hr Sounds great 190
Local News Women (Apr '09) 7 hr NewsFan13 2,865
News Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07) 12 hr lol 614
Poll Betty Ford has died. Do you care? (Jul '11) Sat Not a fan at all 264
i gots to FART Sat poopit 1
are the protesters going to jump Sat Uranus prober 67
Why do people act ghetto? I am talking about al... (Dec '12) Sat guest 47

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance