Job cuts at Herman Miller, Steelcase

Job cuts at Herman Miller, Steelcase

There are 63 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Nov 11, 2008, titled Job cuts at Herman Miller, Steelcase. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

In a release on their website, Herman Miller CEO Brian Walker said the furniture maker "is not immune to the current global economic slowdown." The company will reduce both salaried and manufacturing staff ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
El Barracho

Denver, CO

#1 Nov 11, 2008
These are the only two companies that ever seem to survive financial hardships. Perhaps other companies of this country need to look at these two as their "big brothers" and learn from their leadership.
no surprise

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Nov 11, 2008
no surprise here, the first in a long line of companies laying off.

its a vicious cycle: layoff workers because people aren't buying things but then people react to the layoffs by not buying anything which in turn spurns more layoffs

capitalism is brilliant, isn't it?
Wendy

Greenville, MI

#3 Nov 11, 2008
Hopefully Michigan's economy will start to do a turn around...it's starting to cause a huge hardship on so many people and it's just so sad to watch anymore.
kelli

Zeeland, MI

#4 Nov 11, 2008
These are the cold hard facts of reality. I work at Herman Miller. I'm looking forward to leaving Michigan.

Since: Jul 08

Zeeland, MI

#5 Nov 11, 2008
I am SO sad to hear this.

Michigan needs to recover, and this won't help. I understand why it is happening, but it's still a shame.

Zeeland, MI

#6 Nov 11, 2008
kelli wrote:
These are the cold hard facts of reality. I work at Herman Miller. I'm looking forward to leaving Michigan.
I am sorry you feel that way, but I certainly understand. Best of luck to you. I hear North Dakota is looking for people - they have more jobs than they can fill.
question

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Nov 11, 2008
kelli wrote:
that't good advice, i wish a lot more people took it. this state needs to loose people, it needs to "downsize" because we can just not support as many people as we have.
question

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Nov 11, 2008
Lady Jane wrote:
Michigan needs to recover, and this won't help.
who said Michigan IS going to recover? I think everyone needs to leave so we can turn this state into a huge national park fit for hunting deer. that would be cool.
rrlwb93

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#9 Nov 11, 2008
Capitalism is good!! the fact is that when people don't think they are going to make money they don't spend money unlike Gov. they spend money on everything when they have none and then try to get more to spend on more things.
This is a Globle thing not just a MI thing. If you think you can do better then you start a business and see how you do with an increes of cost and more taxes but cant rase price or cover the cost of doing biz. I know my biz is sufering with a 25-40% increes and no increes in price.
I hope we all can get though this together but if you have to leave the stat for work I understand
question

Grand Rapids, MI

#10 Nov 11, 2008
rrlwb93 wrote:
Capitalism is good!!
Gordon Gecko, is that you?
dont worry

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Nov 11, 2008
Obama will take care of you.
http://my.wrif.com/mim/...
maybe

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Nov 11, 2008
dont worry wrote:
no, the free market will.
oh wait, it isn't either. next option douche?
my two cents

Greenville, MI

#14 Nov 11, 2008
It's not good. Is there any reason why the CEO's at Herman Miller and Steelcase can't take a pay cut?
Indentured Servant

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Nov 11, 2008
Why are you people talking about this as if it is ONLY a MICHIGAN problem? Don't you read NATIONAL NEWS? Someone suggested moving to North Carolina. North Carolina's Unemployment rate was 7.0 last month....higher than the national average. The state of Georgia had the highest job loss in the nation, for the one month period, of August. Wake up folks.....this is not simply a Michigan problem!!!
Leslie

Sparta, MI

#16 Nov 11, 2008
kelli wrote:
I used to work at Herman Miller...Went through a plant closing in 2000. Not a fun rollercoaster to be on. Kelli did you work at SQA at one time?
michigan mom

Medford, WI

#17 Nov 11, 2008
question wrote:
<quoted text>
that't good advice, i wish a lot more people took it. this state needs to loose people, it needs to "downsize" because we can just not support as many people as we have.
HEAR! HEAR! Get out and give the rest of the unemployed a chance!
why not worry

Medford, WI

#18 Nov 11, 2008
dont worry wrote:
Obama is going to get us all killed.... he IS muslim after all. Don't for get Bin Laden said he would infiltrate from within. Why not start at the top eh?
john

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Nov 11, 2008
my two cents wrote:
Is there any reason why the CEO's at Herman Miller and Steelcase can't take a pay cut?
yes, its called greed. something these duche-bags CEO's hear about on sunday in their churches.
mom

Liverpool, NY

#20 Nov 11, 2008
The Military should buy office furniture to drop on IraQ!

Zeeland, MI

#21 Nov 11, 2008
question wrote:
<quoted text>
who said Michigan IS going to recover?
No one said that. I don't know that it is. However, not everyone has the resources to up and move out of state - not to mention the housing market being in the shape it is in.

Of course this is a national problem, but Michigan is one of the worst if not THE worst economies in the country. Michigan is where most of us live, so it is natural to concentrate on our most immediate reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 3 hr Dena 1,161
News Caught on tape: man beats dogs (Mar '08) 11 hr Go Blue Forever 156
are the protesters going to jump 11 hr RushFan666 51
Local News Women (Apr '09) 13 hr T-Man 2,839
Poll Any parents of children in jail forum (Jul '09) Feb 20 Carter 58
Art Van Scam (Oct '08) Feb 18 MUman 50
Texas Girl With a Great Plan (Sep '12) Feb 15 Gaxtell 74

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance