100 chickens killed in barn fire

There are 9 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Sep 12, 2007, titled 100 chickens killed in barn fire. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

" A barn fire killed 100 chickens and ended one man's business Wednesday morning in northern Kent County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

gordon groomer

White Cloud, MI

#1 Sep 12, 2007
umm , isn't there more important things going on in the world?
Tom

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Sep 12, 2007
End of one business, but the beginning of another. Extra crispy chicken anyone?
gordon snipper

United States

#3 Sep 12, 2007
gordon groomer wrote:
Let me guess...your life is so busy you have time to be a critic (looser) I like animals & think this IS news, sad news.

“Personal responsibility is key”

Since: Aug 07

West Michigan

#4 Sep 12, 2007
gordon groomer wrote:
Not to that farmer.
Tom

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Sep 12, 2007
gordon snipper wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess...your life is so busy you have time to be a critic (looser) I like animals & think this IS news, sad news.
I like animals too, especially with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ suace.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#6 Sep 12, 2007
Tom wrote:
<quoted text> I like animals too, especially with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ suace.
I take it you're a member of PETA too?
<People Eating Tasty Animals>

Now, before I get flamed, set on fire, slammed and who knows what else. I'm sorry this happened to this farmer. We don't know the cause of the blaze yet either. And yes, I'm sorry that 100 chickens died. This is someone's livelyhood we're talking about here. Even though the article says he will probably complete his retirement, this was still his way off life and his animals.
internet troll

United States

#7 Sep 12, 2007
gordon snipper wrote:
<quoted text>
I will stop what I am doing momentarily to point out the irony in you criticizing someone's point of view, while calling them a "looser" for being a critic.
I like animals too, but I prefer my chickens on rotissery skewers, or with a good coating of BBQ sauce? there are very few ways that I don't enjoy a good chicken meal. Fried chicken, sauteed chicken, glazed chicken, blackened chicken, baked chicken, chicken chili, chicken wings, chicken nuggets, chicken sandwiches....that is all I can think of for now.*Sigh* now I feel like getting some popeye's for dinner. The only part I am sad about is this guy didn't run an ad before the barn fire. 4H chickens are some meaty chickens!
I am sure if this guy ran the farm for 40 something years, he was smart enough to insure his barn and contents. If he chooses to let a fire put him out of business, it is his choice. In fact it was probably the easiest way for him to retire without selling his farm....collecting insurance money. If he simply shut down the business, he would get zero dollars and zero cents.
One thing I don't get is I thought 4H folks were supposed to raise thier own animals for show? This guy appearently would raise them, then sell them to 4H members to show off at the fair??? Isn't this like buying your science project instead of doing it yourself?
Within the next 3 or 4 posts will be a person claiming to be a family member of this farmer shaming us for making light of the news. So let me get this out of the way....
My prayers go out to this farmer, and the souls of his 100 chickens. May baby Jesus watch over you and keep you safe.

Since: Aug 07

Gilbert, AZ

#8 Sep 12, 2007
I prayed for this to happen and it did, proving that God likes fried chicken too so he started the fire!

Eat up everybody, bing your 4H friends some and do not forget cool drinks and some salad to go along with that.

Enjoy your retirement sir with extra insurance money and thats no chicken feed!

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#9 Sep 12, 2007
internet troll wrote:
<quoted text>
I will stop what I am doing momentarily to point out the irony in you criticizing someone's point of view, while calling them a "looser" for being a critic.
I like animals too, but I prefer my chickens on rotissery skewers, or with a good coating of BBQ sauce? there are very few ways that I don't enjoy a good chicken meal. Fried chicken, sauteed chicken, glazed chicken, blackened chicken, baked chicken, chicken chili, chicken wings, chicken nuggets, chicken sandwiches....that is all I can think of for now.*Sigh* now I feel like getting some popeye's for dinner. The only part I am sad about is this guy didn't run an ad before the barn fire. 4H chickens are some meaty chickens!
I am sure if this guy ran the farm for 40 something years, he was smart enough to insure his barn and contents. If he chooses to let a fire put him out of business, it is his choice. In fact it was probably the easiest way for him to retire without selling his farm....collecting insurance money. If he simply shut down the business, he would get zero dollars and zero cents.
One thing I don't get is I thought 4H folks were supposed to raise thier own animals for show? This guy appearently would raise them, then sell them to 4H members to show off at the fair??? Isn't this like buying your science project instead of doing it yourself?
Within the next 3 or 4 posts will be a person claiming to be a family member of this farmer shaming us for making light of the news. So let me get this out of the way....
My prayers go out to this farmer, and the souls of his 100 chickens. May baby Jesus watch over you and keep you safe.
Hiya IT! If you go to the "fall recipes" thread, there are some very good chicken recipes listed! We have chicken and rice, white chili and chicken stoup! Check it out and add a couple new choices to your chicken menu!
:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 30 min stewart scott 1,939
News Shop owner will deny - openly gay' customers 3 hr Brian_G 78
News State holds unclaimed property - and it can be ... 5 hr TheMissingMoneyLady 1
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 18 hr katylied67 1,000
bruce jenner!? who cares! 20 hr ricardo gran polla 6
News Victim in ponzi scheme comes forward (May '09) 21 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 40
are you texas enough? 21 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]