Kilpatrick asks Granholm for pardon

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

Governor Jennifer Granholm's legal team says she has no authority to pardon Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick because he hasn't been convicted of a crime.
Comments
101 - 120 of 196 Comments Last updated Aug 25, 2008
MissyLaneous

Grand Blanc, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Lock him up and the sooner the better !! Mayors (etc) are certainly not entitled to this special treatment.

The worst part is that Kwame is just fueling the Blight Wing -- or should I say "right wing" extremists? If he has any honor, he'll stay away from the DNC convention.

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

This thug is a Super-Delegate for the Democratic Party??? Why in the world hasn't the Democratic Party kicked him out. They can and should do that. The fact that they haven't tells me an awful lot about how corrupt the Party really is. No votes from me in November unless this guy goes now! You take the thug out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the thug.
DAVE

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

We're still taking about this waste of skin. He should have been jailed way back.
McCain isn't looking clean. The ad showing Obama with Kilpatrick they claiming it was after the leagal problems is very slimy and as good as a lie. Not sure we need liars as president.
D-A-P

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Why are we still having to read about this jerk. I so hope the Govenor kicks his black a_s out! Detroit is being penalized because of this idiot. He's a waste of a human being!

Since: Jun 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

I cannot even remember what he did to get in trouble. Guess I'll find some news articles on it.
The Fly on The Wall

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

It is really sad to see so many people, who are NOT even from Detroit speak about Detroit things. I wonder how many politicians in all these cities represented are letting things slip now that the focus is not on them.

And before anyone can use the "this affects all of Michigan" line, I say "stop it!", because it doesn't. If Detroit would have been important before all of this, they wouldn't have to beg for help with schools, roads, renovations of all sorts. It would be so great if everyone outside of Detroit would let Detroiters handle their business unless they're going to move their and start actively dealing with ALL Detroit's issues.
The Fly on The Wall

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Judged:

Wow, right when the page refreshed, I see a post from a Detroiter. And an ignorant one at that.

(I have no idea why this thing posted farminton hills under my name, but I am from Detroit).

D-A-P, just fyi, detroit was being penalized before all of this, Kilpatrick (and everything surrounding him) is just an excuse to PUBLICLY penalize us. I am simply a spectator in this whole fiasco because I have absolutely NOTHING to do with it, the exact same way you have nothing to do with it. But the "blac a_s" statement shows what ignorance you carry, and unless you are qualified and ready to stand in his shoes, you should demote yourself from self-righteous bigot to a spectator too.
Noone can trust anyone else to do anything but be human. When someone messes up in office, in marriage, in the pulpit, where ever, I am not surprised because they didn't give up being human.
D-A-P

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Judged:

The Fly on The Wall wrote:
It is really sad to see so many people, who are NOT even from Detroit speak about Detroit things. I wonder how many politicians in all these cities represented are letting things slip now that the focus is not on them.
And before anyone can use the "this affects all of Michigan" line, I say "stop it!", because it doesn't. If Detroit would have been important before all of this, they wouldn't have to beg for help with schools, roads, renovations of all sorts. It would be so great if everyone outside of Detroit would let Detroiters handle their business unless they're going to move their and start actively dealing with ALL Detroit's issues.
You don't think that other people in other states have an negative thought when they see this in the national news? I think so! Everyone is due an opinion.

“Profits are better than wages!”

Since: Aug 08

Macomb, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Judged:

D-A-P wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't think that other people in other states have an negative thought when they see this in the national news? I think so! Everyone is due an opinion.
Who cares what other people in other states think? If they have ANY power over us, give em a ballot and make them pay City tax...

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Judged:

D-A-P wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm from the State of West Michigan (Yes, we are a whole separate State. We have nothing in common with anything on the east side of I-69, other than that our tax dollars go over there) and unfortunately my tax dollars (in the form of revenue sharing) have to go to help pay for Detroit and it's thug Mayor. My tax dollars also go to support the Legal System which Kwame is spending so much time in. So even though I'm from another State I have a very negative view of Detroit's so called Mayor.
D-A-P

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Judged:

<quoted text>
Who cares what other people in other states think? If they have ANY power over us, give em a ballot and make them pay City tax...
Wow you don't care what other people in other states think? I sure do! I'll bet there's alot of other people from Michigan that also do.
D-A-P

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm from the State of West Michigan (Yes, we are a whole separate State. We have nothing in common with anything on the east side of I-69, other than that our tax dollars go over there) and unfortunately my tax dollars (in the form of revenue sharing) have to go to help pay for Detroit and it's thug Mayor. My tax dollars also go to support the Legal System which Kwame is spending so much time in. So even though I'm from another State I have a very negative view of Detroit's so called Mayor.
Try telling that to "Fly on the wall"!

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

I am sooooooo sick of this turd being in the news.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Oh come on now .... tu.rd isn't THAT bad!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Judged:

I didn't know until now how much ignorance could be packed in so few words. How can you not know that what is going on in Detroit affects the whole state? Oh - that's right. You Detroileters think you're all above that, and the rest of Michigan is probably out to get you, right?

It really is too bad we can't divide the state in half. And charge you all to come over and enjoy our beaches.
Mark

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Judged:

Hurley35 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm from the State of West Michigan (Yes, we are a whole separate State. We have nothing in common with anything on the east side of I-69, other than that our tax dollars go over there) and unfortunately my tax dollars (in the form of revenue sharing) have to go to help pay for Detroit and it's thug Mayor. My tax dollars also go to support the Legal System which Kwame is spending so much time in. So even though I'm from another State I have a very negative view of Detroit's so called Mayor.
You're my hero.

And dead on the money.
D-A-P

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Lucy in Rockford wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't know until now how much ignorance could be packed in so few words. How can you not know that what is going on in Detroit affects the whole state? Oh - that's right. You Detroileters think you're all above that, and the rest of Michigan is probably out to get you, right?
It really is too bad we can't divide the state in half. And charge you all to come over and enjoy our beaches.
I totally agree with you! That person is just p. off with all of the charges that the Detroiters have to pay to live there. Why would you want to? I know my post shows I'm from Detroit but that's just where my home office is at. I wouldn't live anywhere around there for nothing! I'll keep living in a nice suburban country setting!
D A P

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Wow, right when the page refreshed, I see a post from a Detroiter. And an ignorant one at that.
(I have no idea why this thing posted farminton hills under my name, but I am from Detroit).
D-A-P, just fyi, detroit was being penalized before all of this, Kilpatrick (and everything surrounding him) is just an excuse to PUBLICLY penalize us. I am simply a spectator in this whole fiasco because I have absolutely NOTHING to do with it, the exact same way you have nothing to do with it. But the "blac a_s" statement shows what ignorance you carry, and unless you are qualified and ready to stand in his shoes, you should demote yourself from self-righteous bigot to a spectator too.
Noone can trust anyone else to do anything but be human. When someone messes up in office, in marriage, in the pulpit, where ever, I am not surprised because they didn't give up being human.
I am just a spectator. First of all I am not a bigot. You just assume that from my comment. So he is black. If he was white I would have said his white a_s. He is a public figure for Detroit. Any ole Joe we would't even know about it. But he is the one Detroit voted to be their leader. What a leader! Once a mistake possibly twice but three times and more! If he had any integrity for your City he would have stepped down by now!
Sandy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

There is definately something very wrong with our system in city governments. If someone that is suppose to be doing good for our cities are doing something injust why should we have to be allowed to keep them in office and on top of everything else if they are let go out of office continue to have to pay them what was agreed on when they went in there. The same with any city or govt. official. I've seen it time and time again even in the small town that I live in. Why do these cities need so many city officials. It was good enough years ago just to have a mayor now we need city managers,mayors and secretaries for secretaries. Will it ever stop. How long can the average citizen keep paying taxes for other peoples mistakes. Because that is what happens. Who do you think pays for all the lawyers involved to get rid of these so called good people that we vote in office. This fine mayor deserves to be out on his royal tusch sitting in Ionia.

“Profits are better than wages!”

Since: Aug 08

Macomb, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Judged:

Lucy in Rockford wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll try to explain how I see it for you in as few words as possible so nobody can get confused. I'm not talking about things dont matter, like our "tax dollars" and which way they are going. I am coming from what we know to be true. People just love to talk, especially the people that are not involved. It's a form of entertainment, when you don't have to DO anything but comment and speculate. If what's happening in Detroit concerns MI, it should ALWAYS concern MI. I could give a crap less what's happening in Grand Rapids or Rockford, I don't know the name of one public official, because I don't really care. If I pick up the paper and see some scandal, I am simply shocked, horrified, entertained, etc. because I don't live in any place BUT Detroit and I'm not going to DO anything about it. I wish we really did care about other cities and states in our nation so we wouldn't say things like I watch my tax dollars go across I-69 to Detroit. So that the collectives that do well help those that aren't doing so good. But its not like that, so since you really don't care about Detroit (which is a place where PEOPLE live)then don't fool yourself into thinking it really affects you when it really just embarrases you (and me).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grand Rapids Discussions

Search the Grand Rapids Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
go blue goes black 5 hr Dr X 5
New Year's Rapist Takes Plea Deal 6 hr Batch 37 Pain Is Good 6
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 7 hr Wellthereugoagain 80
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 16 hr Guru 806
Fifth Third Bank loses $202 million (Jul '08) 18 hr mat 217
Local News Women (Apr '09) Wed Red Wood 2,294
What about the Malaysian jetliner? Tue Gville Jim 56
•••
•••