Bullied student hopes law passes

A Barry County 10th grader says bullying has affected her life, so much so that she hasn't attended school for days. Full Story
First Prev
of 15
Next Last
wow

Southgate, MI

#1 Nov 13, 2008
life is not fair
Wendy

Greenville, MI

#2 Nov 13, 2008
I hope this bill passes too...bullying should NEVER be tolerated and school staff that allow it to happen should lose their damn jobs! Parents who were bullies in school usually have children who are bullies but don't care. It's no wonder kids bring weapons to schools to protect themselves, lord knows the schools don't do it half the time! I pray this bill passes!
John M

Rockford, MI

#3 Nov 13, 2008
Wendy wrote:
I hope this bill passes too...bullying should NEVER be tolerated and school staff that allow it to happen should lose their damn jobs! Parents who were bullies in school usually have children who are bullies but don't care. It's no wonder kids bring weapons to schools to protect themselves, lord knows the schools don't do it half the time! I pray this bill passes!
Wow that was a statement. Back in my day if you were bullied you took it until you finally just had enough and stood up for yourself. No need for weapons of any kind. Usually once the buly realized you were not going to keep takig his torment they laid off.
Honestly is she serious

Belmont, MI

#4 Nov 13, 2008
Gay/lesbian/trans students have been harrassed, threatened and beaten in schools for years but Republican legislatures in our state and at the federal-level never could understand the importance of adding anti-bullying laws to protect gay/lesbian/trans students. Or maybe they understood but chose to express their hate for the glbt community by not passing anti-bullying laws. In this young girl's story, I didn't hear anything about bullying or threats made against her. She's upset because she's been embarrased on YouTube. Anti-bullying laws are not intended to stop people from being embarrased on YouTube, they are meant to protect students from being bullied and threatned. This young lady needs to grow up.
my two cents

Ionia, MI

#6 Nov 13, 2008
John M wrote:
<quoted text>Wow that was a statement. Back in my day if you were bullied you took it until you finally just had enough and stood up for yourself. No need for weapons of any kind. Usually once the buly realized you were not going to keep takig his torment they laid off.
You're right. If a person is being bullied, they need to stand up for themselves. You can't run and hide every time someone is mean to you.
pathetic people

Wyoming, MI

#7 Nov 14, 2008
Now a days, if a kid is looked at cross-eyed, they say they are being bullied. I agree with the other sane folk here, stand up for yourself! I don't care how big you think you are, bully me and I'm in your face. It's called attitude, and anyone can have one!

Since: Mar 08

Jenison

#8 Nov 14, 2008
My school years were hell, especially elementary and middle school, because of bullying. I hated school because of it. It's only been in the last few years that I realized how many good times I had in school....especially high school.

I hope this legislation passes. Too many people have had to live with the threats and intimidation in school. Hopefully this legislation will help to stop it.
pathetic people

Wyoming, MI

#9 Nov 14, 2008
Honestly is she serious wrote:
Gay/lesbian/trans students have been harrassed, threatened and beaten in schools for years but Republican legislatures in our state and at the federal-level never could understand the importance of adding anti-bullying laws to protect gay/lesbian/trans students. Or maybe they understood but chose to express their hate for the glbt community by not passing anti-bullying laws. In this young girl's story, I didn't hear anything about bullying or threats made against her. She's upset because she's been embarrased on YouTube. Anti-bullying laws are not intended to stop people from being embarrased on YouTube, they are meant to protect students from being bullied and threatned. This young lady needs to grow up.
If someone is gay, they should keep themselves in the closet with it. Especially while they are in school. Otherwise, if you choose an unorthodox lifestyle, be prepared for the consequences. Other than that, what you wrote is right on!
Middle School Teacher

Corning, AR

#10 Nov 14, 2008
As a teacher, I witness bullying firsthand. And when I do, I don't tell the "victim" to deal with it. I deal with it. The consequences of bullying to those affected are way too damaging to be ignored. Bullying isn't the same today as it was when I was in school. Todays kids can be absolutely ruthless without any thought or care about how this affects their classmate. To those of you who think Jessie should just take it or defend herself: just because that is the way that bullying has been handled traditionally, doesn't mean that it's not an incredibly stupid way to deal with it. Jessie is right to stand up for what is right - human decency and kindness is all she is asking for. She is standing for herself and others in her same position. To me, Jessie appears to be a very strong young lady. Not many kids would be willing to put themselves out there like this.
pathetic people

Wyoming, MI

#11 Nov 14, 2008
Bon Van wrote:
My school years were hell, especially elementary and middle school, because of bullying. I hated school because of it. It's only been in the last few years that I realized how many good times I had in school....especially high school.
I hope this legislation passes. Too many people have had to live with the threats and intimidation in school. Hopefully this legislation will help to stop it.
Mr. Van, I'm sorry for your feelings and years of regret. I think everyone is bullied to some degree in school. Again, it all depends, I believe, on how a person handles it. Under todays definition of bullying, I was bullied too. Like I said previously, I either fought back or laughed along and it ended pretty quickly. Respond to it, don't react. I don't think most people mean any harm at first, it's just part of growing up. I do agree it can spiral into a big problem but I feel it is because someone doesn't stand up for themself.(and I don't mean physically fighting) It's much easier to kick a man while he's down than when he's standing!
Tom

United States

#12 Nov 14, 2008
Ethics should at an early age. Look no further than the parents of a bully,who have failed to show love and kindness to one another. People of all ages should feel safe in our society,and particular children, need a learning environment that is safe and secure.
lost in translation

Royal Oak, MI

#13 Nov 14, 2008
Bullying is out of control now. It's beyond name calling, jeering and snickering. It's down right violent. Back "in the day" teachers actually had some authority, now they can't even touch a kid. The parents can't touch their kid without social services getting involved. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying beat the kid...but they can't even grab a kid by the elbow. Kids today have no fear....NONE! I am sorry, but I had a limited amount of fear of my elders when I was growing up...It's called respect and knowing your place in the food chain of life.
A Mother

Syracuse, NY

#14 Nov 14, 2008
But back in the day we didn't have the internet, cell phones that taped everything, my space or face book, your humiliation was not posted all over the web as a trophy. And I have to say, kids were cruel when I was in school, but it seems to be starting at an earlier age now, and much more worse...
John M wrote:
<quoted text>Wow that was a statement. Back in my day if you were bullied you took it until you finally just had enough and stood up for yourself. No need for weapons of any kind. Usually once the buly realized you were not going to keep takig his torment they laid off.

Since: May 08

Lowell, MI

#15 Nov 14, 2008
Well said........
lost in translation wrote:
Bullying is out of control now. It's beyond name calling, jeering and snickering. It's down right violent. Back "in the day" teachers actually had some authority, now they can't even touch a kid. The parents can't touch their kid without social services getting involved. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying beat the kid...but they can't even grab a kid by the elbow. Kids today have no fear....NONE! I am sorry, but I had a limited amount of fear of my elders when I was growing up...It's called respect and knowing your place in the food chain of life.
Libs suck

Wyoming, MI

#16 Nov 14, 2008
lost in translation wrote:
You are absolutely right! That's liberal government for you! I've alway told my kids teachers that I will sign a permission slip or waiver to let them deal with my kid if needed. Thankfully it's not been needed, respect is taught at home. But if a kid is acting up in school, the teacher should be able to deal with it. I'd love to be a teacher but I'd be fired in a week. Kids do have a total disrespect for their elders. The government with all their legislation has made it so!
Ionia Mi

Manistee, MI

#17 Nov 14, 2008
Middle School Teacher wrote:
As a teacher, I witness bullying firsthand. And when I do, I don't tell the "victim" to deal with it. I deal with it. The consequences of bullying to those affected are way too damaging to be ignored. Bullying isn't the same today as it was when I was in school. Todays kids can be absolutely ruthless without any thought or care about how this affects their classmate. To those of you who think Jessie should just take it or defend herself: just because that is the way that bullying has been handled traditionally, doesn't mean that it's not an incredibly stupid way to deal with it. Jessie is right to stand up for what is right - human decency and kindness is all she is asking for. She is standing for herself and others in her same position. To me, Jessie appears to be a very strong young lady. Not many kids would be willing to put themselves out there like this.
The most intellegent comment I've read on here. I'd be curious to see what these people who think kids should just "deal with it" would have to say to parents at the funeral of their child after commiting suicide over being bullied or perhaps at the funeral of the bully after the bullied child fought back with a gun, maybe those parents should just "deal with it" also. God bless people like this teacher and student who refuse to just "deal with it".
bullybegone

Nordland, WA

#18 Nov 14, 2008
my son was bullied for 2 of his high school years. he has been spit on, had food thrown at him during lunch, name calling he has dealt with it all as well as having a learning disability. i have been to school time and time again, nothing done. have been to police station, nothing was done. it was a fri after school that everything started coming to a head, he was hit in the head with a snowball, causing his headphones to get broken which upset him more then anything that had gone on over the last 2 years. this weighed in on his mind all weekend and on monday after school he made the choice to stand up for himself and waited outside and throw a snowball back at the kid who hit him on fri and i received a call from school to come to the office he was in trouble, the police were called and charges were filed. it went to court and he was being charged with assult which was dropped after showing proof that it has been an on going problem. the proof came from teacher who were also against the bullying it was the higher up who allowed this to go as well as the police. if you don't have a well known name your a nobody in the eyes of alot not all people. no heart in alot of people anymore they just don't care who or what they do or say even to their parents
Ryan

United States

#19 Nov 14, 2008
my two cents wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. If a person is being bullied, they need to stand up for themselves. You can't run and hide every time someone is mean to you.
I disagree. You should not have to be afraid when you go to school. It should be a safe environment for our children to learn in. That being said I really think it is sad that we need a law to tell ou children to treat each other with some respect and dignity. Shouldn't they be doing this already?
granny

United States

#20 Nov 14, 2008
Bullying goes on in every school. There are other schools in Barry County that allow it to keep happening. My grandkids are told to 'deal with it'. One has a drawing of a child using a gun to shoot another and when taken to the safety officer, he just said, 'he is not going to do that' and so far, nothing has been done. I don't believe they have even talked to this kid about it. Another issue is teacher bullying. They even get in a few words sometimes that are way too inappropriate and some seem to thing cursing is OK too. I know that personality conflicts can occur between students and teachers, but for goodness sake, the teacher is the adult here. I am glad I am not a kid today, but I spend a lot of time praying for the future of the kids today. They have a pretty tough world to inherit from us.
mamma

Battle Creek, MI

#21 Nov 14, 2008
No wonder the government has their hands in everything. Where in God's name are the parents????? Once again, the gov't and schools have to take responsibility for the parent to these mean kids because parents don't seem to give a crap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lets Chat (Mar '08) 3 hr Ryleigh 40,166
NAACP/Media Ignores Black Election Winners 4 hr Idea Maker 12
Obama is a War Hawk 4 hr Idea Maker 7
Mustang speeder dies after chase ends (Apr '09) 5 hr Ferguson sucks 525
Shark Steam Mop (Jan '08) 6 hr Sucks really bad 187
The Hypocrisy of Ferguson 20 hr Oneal 1
Look Who''s Missing Emails Were Recovered 20 hr Oneal 1
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:46 pm PST

Bleacher Report 4:46PM
Is New England Proving to Be Unbeatable?
Bleacher Report 4:52 PM
Takeaways from Bears' Win vs. Bucs
Bleacher Report 5:33 PM
Where Should Pats Slot into Week 13 Fantasy Lineups?
Bleacher Report 6:57 PM
Reggie Bush Injury Update and Fantasy Football Impact
NFL 7:58 PM
Wilfork: Raiola's 'uncalled for' cut-block was 'stupid'