Grandville Police evacuate their own ...

Grandville Police evacuate their own headquarters

There are 30 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Jun 2, 2008, titled Grandville Police evacuate their own headquarters. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Grandville - What appeared to be smoke bombs, confiscated from a student at Calvin Christian High School, triggered evacuations around police headquarters at Wilson Avenue & Prairie Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Lafayette, IN

#1 Jun 2, 2008
Over smoke bombs? WOW!
Jamie B

Lafayette, IN

#2 Jun 2, 2008
good thing it wasn't those little charcol snakes! those ones that leave black all over your sidewalk. LOL

Grant, MI

#3 Jun 2, 2008
Smart cop.
Kim in gr

Detroit, MI

#4 Jun 2, 2008
I don't get it-why evacuate over smoke bombs, the 4th of July is coming up everyone can get them. What are they not saying or are they just that paranoid ?

“November 12th, 2011”

Since: Nov 07

up a tree

#5 Jun 2, 2008
Someone should be fired for this over-reaction, I expect civil servants to demonstrate at least a little common sense. They are supposed to act like trained professionals. Not every situation calls for a defcon 1 response. Geesh!

Holland, MI

#6 Jun 2, 2008
Must have had them stored among the ammo and machine guns. Maybe they use the armored car and tank to store the heavy explosives.

“Hmmm ... ”

Since: Mar 08

#7 Jun 2, 2008
Could you imagine how they would have re-acted if they actually found a bomb?

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Jun 2, 2008
I guess I'm more shocked that the bombs were confiscated from a Calvin Christian student. bomb pranks at a christian school? No way. Must have been a set up. And why didn't we hear about the story when they found the bombs? Hmmmmm
Gail in Wyoming

Wixom, MI

#10 Jun 2, 2008
That doesn't make any sense to me, either. There must be more to this story than was reported.
Calvin Christian Student

Wayland, MI

#11 Jun 2, 2008
I go to Calvin, and just sayin', we weren't dealing with high grade explosives here. A senior made his own smoke bomb and set it off in a trash can--not the smartest move in the world, in fact it was quite bullheaded. I think everyone overreacted a bit...the bomb squad is a bit much, methinks, as is evacuating all these other places. It was a senior prank...albeit one lacking in intelligence. I'm not making excuses (arson is a federal offense, at least i think so) but the school was planning on handling itself (the student can't walk down the isle at graduation, and was suspended for his last few days of class) before all this came up.
Pardon my mind spew. Just thought I'd comment.
former CC student

Taylor, MI

#12 Jun 2, 2008
even though I went to Calvin, I am not that surprised to find out what happened. and I applaud the police department for doing what they were supposed to do. Evacuating was procedure, and they followed that, so don't get up on their backs about it.
double standards

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Jun 2, 2008
Had this occurred at a city school, sweeping it under the rug would not have been an option. The media would have been all over the story and the student expelled. Now I'm not saying that is appropriate, but what a double standard we have here. Student prank or not, someone(s) could have been hurt.

Since: Oct 07

Big Rapids, MI

#14 Jun 2, 2008
A quality made smoke bomb probably does just what its supposed to, which is to smoke. How were they to know what this dumbazz kid made.

But of course for you folks that don't think there's anything to worry about, please see your local recruiter. The army is always looking for more EOD's.

Hope they hang the kid out to dry. What a dimwit!
former CC student

Taylor, MI

#15 Jun 2, 2008
i agree
Calvin Student

United States

#16 Jun 2, 2008
I go to Calvin Christian and never even knew a thing about this...wierd.
MI is dead

Maricopa, AZ

#17 Jun 2, 2008
what a bunch of wussies...Grandvile....a ra t hole
CC Grad

Hudsonville, MI

#18 Jun 2, 2008
This does not surprise me one bit, Christian school kids are some of the worst. When I went there we had a kid steal his neighbor's Jag and drive it to school, on a dare. Swat teams surrounded the school and ended up catching him. He was expelled.
John Berry

Detroit, MI

#19 Jun 2, 2008
Give me a break, smoke bombs, what a waste of my tax money!!

Since: May 08

Wyoming, MI

#20 Jun 2, 2008
ok, we REALLY gotta eliminate the words, "Home Of The Brave" out of our National Anthem. This is just plain pathetic!
Ounce of prevention

Hudsonville, MI

#21 Jun 2, 2008
I wonder how many of you learned gun safety by treating guns as if they are always loaded (until proven otherwise). Well, the police know this and treated these suspicious devices in a similar manner. Are you going to put your trust (or limbs) in a high school pyro's handiwork? I didn't think so.
As far as the cop that moved the stuff, wow, what was s/he thinking?!? Even the chief commented that it should have been left alone. Anyone need a job? I think they should be hiring soon!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local News Women (Apr '09) 22 hr intothegrv 2,417
pope pops off about resource sharing Sat Oneal 5
Tigers (Apr '12) Fri Ranger Rick 98
Happy wife . . . Sep 29 anon 2
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) Sep 26 tom wingo 2,630
News Controversial ArtPrize 2015 artist fails to fin... Sep 26 Oneal 4
News Ex-area teacher charged with molesting (Feb '09) Sep 24 Akemi 148
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages