First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Oneal

Three Rivers, MI

#1 Jul 17, 2013
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/story.aspx...

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM)-- You see them everywhere; people begging for money with signs reading 'Homeless,''Out of work vet,' or 'Will work for food.' But what are the stories behind the cardboard signs?...

We watched a man in Kentwood make dollar after dollar standing outside the Woodland Mall with a sign that said 'Please help, homeless, two kids.' Then, he tossed his sign in the back of his van. We tracked him to a nearby house, but when we knocked on the door, his mom answered.

"He uses my van, but he doesn't live here," she said. When we asked if he is homeless, she said she didn't know.

Then, there's Rudy. He works a high-traffic downtown corner on Pearl Street off U.S. 131. His sign says,'Homeless vet.' Maybe he's saluted you on your way to work, maybe you've thanked him for his service.

Rudy is not telling you the truth. He admits he is not a vet. When WZZM 13's Hannah Saunders asked if he feels bad about pretending to be one, he said, "No. Uh, yeah, in a way... you got to make money somehow; it's better than robbing people and doing drugs as far as I'm concerned."]

-----

There are plenty of facilities for genuinely poor people to get real help. The people you see on the corners of 28th and whatever, or Burton and Breton are NOT poor. They're making $20 an hour and lying through their perfectly good teeth.

Thanks ACLU and city officials for allowing professional liars to stand on our street corners and take advantage of kind-hearted but naive people instead of contributing to society.

I've spoken with an ACLU lawyer about this and he's just as mad as I am. He claims the ACLU offered GR and Wyoming a deal that would rewrite a law to stop this kind of behavior but the city officials declined.
Really

Wyoming, MI

#2 Jul 17, 2013
Solution? Don't give them money..buy them a meal. If they refuse that,they are SOL.
Sassy

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Jul 17, 2013
I know this is a sad situation. Some are vets with PTSD, but I just can't trust the the individual as so many have ruined for those that actually need it.

I had to chuckle today though, my husband saw one with a sign that said "Homeless, a Cold Beer would help." He was just a kid I guess, but at least his sign was honest.
Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Jul 18, 2013
Sassy wrote:
I know this is a sad situation. Some are vets with PTSD, but I just can't trust the the individual as so many have ruined for those that actually need it.
I had to chuckle today though, my husband saw one with a sign that said "Homeless, a Cold Beer would help." He was just a kid I guess, but at least his sign was honest.
There was a young couple on Breton and Burton for several weeks who were young and remarkably fit-looking, maybe late-20's. She was carrying a sign that said "insurance only covers so much", and she had cigarettes and a cellphone. He was on the other corner and had probably $15 grand in tattoos. Both could have worked most people under the table from the looks of them, yet there they were, begging for money - taking instead of contributing.
Really

Wyoming, MI

#5 Jul 18, 2013
Sassy wrote:
As in most cases, a few bad apples ruin it for the entire bushel. Unfortunately, the guy they found that is NOT a vet but claims to be one to garner more money, has ruined it for the vets who are truly in need of help. That is why I do not and will not give cash, I will buy a meal instead.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#7 Jul 18, 2013
Really wrote:
Solution? Don't give them money..buy them a meal. If they refuse that,they are SOL.
Free patrolcar rides to the city limits.....
Oneal

Three Rivers, MI

#8 Jul 18, 2013
Really wrote:
That's just it. These non-contributors have no problem when confronted with admitting exactly what they're doing out there, basically saying if people are dumb enough to hand me money for play-acting then I'm going to take advantage.

The ACLU, who fought for the right to panhandle, offered GR and Wyoming an opportunity to rewrite a law that would get them off the street. Both turned them down. Had the ACLU just butted out in the first place none of this would need to be rewritten.

There are so many options and facilities truly poor people have at their disposal that there is virtually no reason for a disabled vet, father of three, out of work and hungry person to be begging on street corners.

Channel 13 did an expose, but a broader media airing of these liars needs to take place so that kind-hearted, but naive people will stop giving these takers their own hard-earned money.
Bob

Big Rapids, MI

#9 Jul 18, 2013
So much outrage for a societal problem that predates recorded history......

Recently, a certain politician was recorded saying that he couldn't care less about what the ancient Greeks called the ptochos, or the penes, even though they made up 47% of this country's voting age population.
Oneal

Three Rivers, MI

#10 Jul 18, 2013
Bob wrote:
Recently, a certain politician was recorded saying that he couldn't care less about what the ancient Greeks called the ptochos, or the penes, even though they made up 47% of this country's voting age population.
I'm not outraged, Bob. I just see a problem with it. The idea is these people have created a little scam that gets them out of actually contributing to society. If they can take from the naive and kind-hearted, according to them, why should they get a job?

One doesn't have to be "outraged" to see a problem with that kind of mentality and not want it in one's neighborhood.

You may not give a crap, but others do.
Really

Wyoming, MI

#11 Jul 18, 2013
Bob wrote:
Apparently you don't have an issue with scams, eh Bob? How many have you perpetrated on others in your lifetime? I'm guessing a whole bunch. Honesty is obviously not your strong suit, but that's no surprise either.
Sassy

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Jul 18, 2013
I went to Meijers today and as I was loading up my car a nice looking young man came up to me and tried to play the no gas game. Of course, I didn't fall for it. I just said sorry I can't help you.
Oneal

Three Rivers, MI

#13 Jul 18, 2013
Sassy wrote:
I went to Meijers today and as I was loading up my car a nice looking young man came up to me and tried to play the no gas game. Of course, I didn't fall for it. I just said sorry I can't help you.
I figure if those panhandlers interviewed are pulling in roughly $20/hour we should be asking them for gas money!
Maybe ol' Bob doesn't see a problem in their creative means to turn a buck because it's akin to the oldest profession I guess, but morals and decency still mean something to some of us and it kind of sucks having to turn away people asking for help because you're not sure if they're lying or not.

“Where I came from”

Since: Jan 09

the universe

#14 Jul 18, 2013
If people would just stop giving them money they would go away. Just wondering if the people I have seen give these people money would like to spend an evening with them in their home? Does anyone seriously think that these guys are vets. Its real easy to look down trodden I have the makings of that uniform, some old shoes faded jeans old Carhartt don't shave for a week I can look homeless but my self esteem and character keeps me from trying it.
Sassy

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Jul 18, 2013
I believe that some actually are vets. However, the others have ruined it for them.
Shoeless Eluder wrote:
If people would just stop giving them money they would go away. Just wondering if the people I have seen give these people money would like to spend an evening with them in their home? Does anyone seriously think that these guys are vets. Its real easy to look down trodden I have the makings of that uniform, some old shoes faded jeans old Carhartt don't shave for a week I can look homeless but my self esteem and character keeps me from trying it.
Sassy

Grand Rapids, MI

#16 Jul 18, 2013
Yea I know. I should have asked where his car was and to let me see how much gas was in it. LOL. My husband has been had before.
Oneal wrote:
<quoted text>
I figure if those panhandlers interviewed are pulling in roughly $20/hour we should be asking them for gas money!
Maybe ol' Bob doesn't see a problem in their creative means to turn a buck because it's akin to the oldest profession I guess, but morals and decency still mean something to some of us and it kind of sucks having to turn away people asking for help because you're not sure if they're lying or not.
Heraldo

Hudsonville, MI

#17 Jul 18, 2013
I'm seeing more and more help wanted signs. Shouldn't be necessary to beg for hand outs. Beg for a job or visit LOVE INC.
Oneal

Three Rivers, MI

#18 Jul 18, 2013
Sassy wrote:
Yea I know. I should have asked where his car was and to let me see how much gas was in it. LOL. My husband has been had before.
<quoted text>
I especially enjoy the male and female panhandlers on Breton/Burton who look like they're 20 and have gym memberships. They don't even dress like they're needy, yet I've seen people hand them bills while I wait for the light to turn. The girl carries a sign that reads "Insurance only covers so much". I'm like, "you're 20! And yea, well it only covers so much for the rest of us too!"

I just wish more media outlets would uncover this farce so people would stop giving them money. I've contacted the appropriate city officials, but they don't really give a damn, They're too afraid of the ACLU.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#19 Jul 18, 2013
Sassy wrote:
Do you remember the, Barney Miller episode, where they arrested a panhandler in NYC, that actually had a family in Connecticutt, and admitted making $60,000 a year....So funny....he even commuted to work.....
Really

Wyoming, MI

#20 Jul 18, 2013
Heraldo wrote:
I'm seeing more and more help wanted signs. Shouldn't be necessary to beg for hand outs. Beg for a job or visit LOVE INC.
Meijer here in Grandville has "positions available" "now hiring" plastered all around their store.
Bob

Big Rapids, MI

#21 Jul 19, 2013
Oneal wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not outraged, Bob. I just see a problem with it. The idea is these people have created a little scam that gets them out of actually contributing to society. If they can take from the naive and kind-hearted, according to them, why should they get a job?
One doesn't have to be "outraged" to see a problem with that kind of mentality and not want it in one's neighborhood.
You may not give a crap, but others do.
Everyone sees a problem with it. The point is that it has been going on for all time, and will continue to do so..... Regardless if someone is outraged, pizzed off, completely apathetic to it.

We are surrounded by people who try to scam others out of their money, its just that these individuals do it on a street corner, and not in the more acceptable ways that others do.

To be honest, I'd rather be scammed for a little spare change than to be victimized by the assorted legitimate businesses that sell their cheaply made crap at excessive prices. If that's not the case with you, I've got a great opportunity for you with this direct marketing company I know of!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Put Tolls on Our Interstate Highways 54 min Idea Maker 19
Jesus Steals Christmas Back From Satan 2 hr Who 1
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 10 hr Buffalo Bull 1,480
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 14 hr cnreadle 974
sony balony Fri kookierecluse 4
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... Fri DrX 54
3 reasons Grand Rapids-area Muslims want to ope... Dec 18 tom_ 21
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grand Rapids

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:28 am PST

Bleacher Report11:28AM
Jay Cutler Rumors: Latest Details, Speculation on Bears QB's Future
NBC Sports12:33 PM
1 thing even Rahm can't fix: Da Bears - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
NFL 4:35 PM
Detroit Lions clinch NFC playoff spot
Yahoo! Sports 5:26 PM
Lions claim playoff berth with Eagles' loss