If prices go up, beer drinkers say th...

If prices go up, beer drinkers say they will pay

There are 38 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Nov 28, 2007, titled If prices go up, beer drinkers say they will pay. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Grand Rapids - First gasoline, then milk, and now beer. The price of beer may be headed up.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Batch 37 Pain is Good

United States

#1 Nov 28, 2007
I like Bourbon--Corn
O Learys Buzz

Big Rapids, MI

#2 Nov 28, 2007
Whiskey's too rough,
Champange costs too much,
Vodka puts my mouth in gear,

This little refrain,
just helps me explain,
As a matter of fact,

I LIKE BEER!!!!!
Jon

Holland, MI

#3 Nov 28, 2007
BS, the media just wants you to think its "OK" that prices are going up up and away.
more liberal media manipulation
rockford

Rockford, MI

#4 Nov 28, 2007
If we have to pay for the gas prices here,Beer going up is nothing,You need a beer after filling up at the gas station
Get Real

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Nov 28, 2007
Is this a slow news week? Wow, what a travesty the price of beer is going up. What a shame, people might not be able to drink as much at the bar before they get in their cars and drive home everynight after work. It's a little bit different when milk or gas goes up because those items (like everyone's skyrocketing grocery bills) are more of a neccesity. If beer drinking has become that much of a necessity for someone then they should probably seek help. If drinking or frequenting the bars is that big of a deal for someone than they will probably switch to drinking something else after they run out of beer money anyways. So rest easily all the big drinkers out there will still be able to "get their drink on"
mytasha

Muskegon, MI

#7 Nov 28, 2007
i feel that they are wrong for putting the cost of beer up and they know people are having hard times because of other bills.if it up to me i wouldn't drink beer
ARF

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Nov 28, 2007
If would be funny to see large white billboard signs with big red numbers advertising the price of beer per gallon outside of every bar!

Maybe it will be cheaper to drink gas?
mark

Battle Creek, MI

#9 Nov 28, 2007
why not increase the price of beer? as it is, people cant even afford gas, milk, diapers---- Be Honest---have you seen the price of ANYTHING GO DOWN???? NOPE! Corporate America is putting the screws to the people and yet they still blindly think that the politicians are "there for the people!". What a joke! Michigan is going down the tubes and nobody seems to care! I'm surprised we dont have to take out a second mortgage to DIE anymore. Just think what the children of today will face in a few years????
beer farts

Middleville, MI

#10 Nov 28, 2007
Get Real wrote:
Is this a slow news week? Wow, what a travesty the price of beer is going up. What a shame, people might not be able to drink as much at the bar before they get in their cars and drive home everynight after work. It's a little bit different when milk or gas goes up because those items (like everyone's skyrocketing grocery bills) are more of a neccesity. If beer drinking has become that much of a necessity for someone then they should probably seek help. If drinking or frequenting the bars is that big of a deal for someone than they will probably switch to drinking something else after they run out of beer money anyways. So rest easily all the big drinkers out there will still be able to "get their drink on"
Settle down Francis. You're gonna stroke out or something.
Jeff in GR

Madison, WI

#11 Nov 28, 2007
It's just ANOTHER result of the Al Gores of the World CLAIMING that we are the cause of Global Warming. They say we need to reduce the use of fossil fuels. Ethanol based fuels are the way to go. What the Al Gores of the world NEGLECT to tell you is the HUGE NEGATIVE IMPACT it will create. They only sell you the rosy "we won'
t have to depend on foreign oil" mantra. Anything corn realted will see an increase in price. Realize that corn is now the "hot" commodity and thus beacomes a lucrative market. Corn being sold as feed increases so now the price of beef, milk and the like will increase as well. Farmers will plant more corn in favor of other crops and those will rise as supply falters. The BIGGEST PERPETRATED LIE about E85 is that it will reduce dependancy on oil. That is a complete OUT AND OUT FABRICATION OF THE TRUTH. Your mileage with E85 is reduced so you will be using more. E85 makes an engine work harder thus reducing your engines efficiency. It just happens that Al Gore has the microphone and keeps yelling GLOBAL WARMING over and over. Keep yelling long and loud enough and eventually people will believe you. I despise Dubya Bush with a passion but it scares the bejeebus outta me to think where we would be with Al Gore in office. As a sidenote, anyone remember Y2K? Wasn't that supposed to be the death knell for the world. Another case of people spewing their agenda LONG AND LOUD enough that the masses bought into it. As a final sidenote, I am in the Auto Industry so I do have firsthand knowledge of the E85 scam and no I don't work for a Union Auto Shop. I'm allowed to think
Jeff in GR

Madison, WI

#12 Nov 28, 2007
I REALLY need to proof read before hitting send. Typos EVERYWHERE ;)
Maria

Holland, MI

#13 Nov 28, 2007
mark wrote:
why not increase the price of beer? as it is, people cant even afford gas, milk, diapers---- Be Honest---have you seen the price of ANYTHING GO DOWN???? NOPE! Corporate America is putting the screws to the people and yet they still blindly think that the politicians are "there for the people!". What a joke! Michigan is going down the tubes and nobody seems to care! I'm surprised we dont have to take out a second mortgage to DIE anymore. Just think what the children of today will face in a few years????
well, prices for computers and other electronics products generally go down.
I don't think the problem is "corporate" America, it is liberals that think raising taxes is the way to increase revenue. GWB doesn't get credit for improving the economy after 9/11 by DECREASING taxes. Liberals thought that was wrong, and they were proven to be incorrect.
Jeff in GR

Madison, WI

#14 Nov 28, 2007
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
well, prices for computers and other electronics products generally go down.
I don't think the problem is "corporate" America,.
Actually these prices are going down because Corporate America has completely abandoned the US in favor of having good produced in third world countries. We are slowly becoming an economy based on logistics and health care
maureenlee

Kalamazoo, MI

#16 Nov 28, 2007
Beer is a MUST HAVE for those sports idiots that sit there, get drunk, and bang their fists on the table and scream "Is this us?" and fart loudly.

“"Do Right Be Right"”

Since: Nov 07

Rockford Michigan

#17 Nov 28, 2007
Jeff in GR wrote:
It's just ANOTHER result of the Al Gores of the World CLAIMING that we are the cause of Global Warming. They say we need to reduce the use of fossil fuels. Ethanol based fuels are the way to go. What the Al Gores of the world NEGLECT to tell you is the HUGE NEGATIVE IMPACT it will create. They only sell you the rosy "we won'
t have to depend on foreign oil" mantra. Anything corn realted will see an increase in price. Realize that corn is now the "hot" commodity and thus beacomes a lucrative market. Corn being sold as feed increases so now the price of beef, milk and the like will increase as well. Farmers will plant more corn in favor of other crops and those will rise as supply falters. The BIGGEST PERPETRATED LIE about E85 is that it will reduce dependancy on oil. That is a complete OUT AND OUT FABRICATION OF THE TRUTH. Your mileage with E85 is reduced so you will be using more. E85 makes an engine work harder thus reducing your engines efficiency. It just happens that Al Gore has the microphone and keeps yelling GLOBAL WARMING over and over. Keep yelling long and loud enough and eventually people will believe you. I despise Dubya Bush with a passion but it scares the bejeebus outta me to think where we would be with Al Gore in office. As a sidenote, anyone remember Y2K? Wasn't that supposed to be the death knell for the world. Another case of people spewing their agenda LONG AND LOUD enough that the masses bought into it. As a final sidenote, I am in the Auto Industry so I do have firsthand knowledge of the E85 scam and no I don't work for a Union Auto Shop. I'm allowed to think
To continue this... I have reduced the green lawn I have to mow and maintain and have planted my own barley and hops (5 varieties) so that I can brew my own beer.

Front yards are for food! LOL

* beer is a food group... LOL

We love HOMEBREW!!! Even more now
Not so serious

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Nov 28, 2007
Why are we freaking out because of rising beer prices?? The price of everything is going up, which sucks considering that wages are not going up with it. Why are we making a huge news story about the rising price of beer? When I go to the grocery store and find that the prices on 90% of the things I buy go up, I don't expect it to be newsworthy. Oh no, the price of ground round, eggs, baby food, cheese, orange juice, pop, etc. etc. etc. have gone up...lets alert the media. Seriously, who cares. The people will buy the beer regardless. Lets not turn this into politics or some kind of conspiracy theory, it's beer for pete's sake. I have nothing against people who drink beer, but I think it shows where people's priorities are when stories and comments like these surface. My condolences to beer drinkers out there, but I think worse things could happen.
bored

Brookfield, WI

#20 Nov 28, 2007
"No, it really wouldn't effect me at all,"
It's "AFFECT," not "EFFECT." Affect is the verb, effect is the noun.
Beth

Traverse City, MI

#21 Nov 28, 2007
If you can still afford to buy beer after you fill up your tank and buy your groceries than I don't think a price increase is really going to phase you.
cmon now

Pittsburgh, PA

#22 Nov 28, 2007
Not so serious wrote:
Why are we freaking out because of rising beer prices?? The price of everything is going up, which sucks considering that wages are not going up with it. Why are we making a huge news story about the rising price of beer? When I go to the grocery store and find that the prices on 90% of the things I buy go up, I don't expect it to be newsworthy. Oh no, the price of ground round, eggs, baby food, cheese, orange juice, pop, etc. etc. etc. have gone up...lets alert the media. Seriously, who cares. The people will buy the beer regardless. Lets not turn this into politics or some kind of conspiracy theory, it's beer for pete's sake. I have nothing against people who drink beer, but I think it shows where people's priorities are when stories and comments like these surface. My condolences to beer drinkers out there, but I think worse things could happen.
$11.99 for a 24 pack of Wrigley Field's finest: Old Style beer in Chicago, and there is no darrnd deposit. When you go to Chi-town load up at Trader Joes and avoid all the sur-taxes on booze and the like. Sorry Michigan I fill the extended SUV FULL when I come back. Dont forget the Pizza!!
bella

AOL

#23 Nov 28, 2007
Darn Candy , you had better stay out of Michigan, your tax dollars cant afford supporting your son in prision and your beer.......... whats next?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Truly Disturbing Racism and The Silence That Fo... 1 hr Oneal 45
Does anyone know why the Chez Ami Bowling alley... (Sep '14) 1 hr TruthTeller 8
Local News Women (Apr '09) 2 hr TruthTeller 2,827
weed molly Addyis xannies bars, Morphis, Dil... Sun Oneal 1
News The Latest: Trump calls Election Day 'our Indep... Jan 20 CZars_R_US 359
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) Jan 20 a commenter 1,147
News GE Aviation lops off 95 Grand Rapids jobs (Jun '08) Jan 19 Great full GE Pro... 58

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages