Teen sexually assaults girl; no jail

The father of a 4-year-old sexual assault victim is furious after his daughter's attacker wasn't sentenced to any jail time. Full Story
disgusted

Irving, TX

#62 Mar 20, 2009
Chalk one up to the inadequacies of system; especially Ottawa County. A year and a half ago, our next door neighbor's kid who at the time was three weeks shy of being sixteen sexually assaulted both of my daughters who were both under thirteen at the time and was left in the juvenile court. No jail time and he is able to stay home. The family won't move and my husband and I can't finanally afford to. So we see this individual every day. This was justice in the eyes of the system.
Sherry

Caledonia, MI

#63 Mar 20, 2009
What a messed up society we live in, more then likely
he will end up doing it again, and maybe even hurt someone. I wonder how our Court System thinks sometimes. Maybe next time it will be the Judge's relative then I'm sure the outcome will be different.
Scott

Cincinnati, OH

#64 Mar 20, 2009
zeeland wrote:
lucky he didnt get busted wioth dope or selling it, he would be in jail 4 sure!
With just a couple grams of pot, he would've been shot. I guess asking a 4 yr old to put it in her mouth is less of a crime?
Jesse McKravitz

Grand Rapids, MI

#65 Mar 20, 2009
Is this Jon Staat's my space( altho it's in Allegan County)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...
Old Gray Haired Lady

Kalamazoo, MI

#66 Mar 20, 2009
Bob338 wrote:
I personaly know a victim that had the same thing happen, around the same age. The POS that did it was also the same age as this story. Unfortunatly, the same sentence was used in that case, 10 years ago. Maybe that sentence is the standard, but I think the POS needs to be locked up forever, he will do it again if not stopped now.
We had a similar situation in our neighborhood about 30 years ago. That little girl was brutally raped, but the sentence was the same; probation and counseling. If her Mother haden't driven her to school, she would have had to ride the school bus with her rapist. He was free to walk the neighborhood and would frequently stroll back and forth in front of their house. Nothing was ever done about that. Finally, the little girl's family moved. The Mother said that at least she could keep her little girl safe from him by moving, but that didn't help any other little girl that came in contact with him. Some attitudes never change in the judicial system.
Tam

Allendale, MI

#67 Mar 20, 2009
Lets just let this kid keep getting away with molestiong little children until he gets older and it turns into rapeing women...way to drop the ball ottawa county!! Im sure you will meet up with this kid again..I just hope its not my daughter he does anything to because I will just take care of him myself!!
ladydragonfly

Washington, MI

#68 Mar 20, 2009
Bon Van wrote:
Ok, let me get this straight. This is a second offense on a child, and he doesn't get any jail time? And then Michael Staat, the perp's father, says that it was ok because he asked the victim to do it, which she did? Sounds like the father is just is screwed up to me. The whole situation is messed up!
Plus a child that age doesn't know it's wrong, and children that age will do anything to please an older child or adult.
I hope the prosecutor appeals the sentence. There needs to be more of a punishment, along with counseling.
The punishment just doesn't fit the crime in this case. And the poor little girl is messed up for life....what about justice for her?
I heard that the first incident happened in 2005. This kid is 16 years old. That puts him at about 12 for the first case. I think there ought to be a full investigation to find out exactly what was done to him in the first place to make him think this was alright. At that young of an age he is obviously a victim himself. And they can start the investigation with his father. Something is very wrong in that family. This boy is in serious need of counciling. And the entire family needs to be investigated for child sexual abuse.
GR Metro Resident

Jenison, MI

#69 Mar 20, 2009
This is absolutely OUTRAGAEOUS!!! Judge Calvin Bosman SHOULD BE DISBARRED!!!
Castration

Flint, MI

#70 Mar 20, 2009
This is a load of crap. This person will never change to do something at 13 and again at 16! Where is the castration law! Alot of problems would be solve if we just cut the balls of all sex offenders. A FOUR YEAR OLD GIRL, COME ON!(I walked into the bank and said give me all your money and they did. Its not my fault they just gave me the money. Makes about the same amount of sense.) People/kids like this need to leave the USA, our country would be a a lot better with out trash like this. Send his father with him, the SOB probably abused his own son explaining why he is the way he is.
bryan

Cannonsburg, MI

#71 Mar 20, 2009
well at age 12 most children are at some point or another like at sleepovers or what ever are doing the whole "show and tell" with people of the same age or close to it. That is a normal part of growing up. Now I think that this boy has been abused and is acting out. Now I think what the judge did was right thing to do. He must of saw something in this boy to make him give the sentence that he gave. Just my thoughts
Buford T Justice

Omaha, NE

#72 Mar 20, 2009
It's up to this girl's father to choke the life right out of this S.O.B. and take his chances with a jury!
Terri

Zeeland, MI

#73 Mar 20, 2009
obviously the judge doesn't feel the victim has any rights. At 4 years old they trust everyone. This is the second time its happened to a young person. He hasn't learned anything so far. How many more victims before he is behind bars.
kgh020

Saint Charles, IL

#74 Mar 20, 2009
They should be publishing the Judge's name so the public can decide whethe they want to vote for thi judge when they are up for re-election!
kgh020

Saint Charles, IL

#75 Mar 20, 2009
YOU are dead on. This judge needs to be remembered next time he is up for re-election!!!!!!!
kzooguy wrote:
This Judge Calvin Bosman needs to be yanked from the bench. This sentence is a slap in the face to the victim and her family, as well as the community that Bosman is supposed to work for. This kind of criminal can't be rehabilitated. If we can't kill them, then they need to be incarcerated for life. This is one class of criminal I don't mind my taxes paying to keep locked up. Child predators cannot control their urges. He will do it again, he won't be able to help himself. The judge better hope that the father of the victim doesn't take the law into his own hands. After all, who could blame him
stupid

United States

#76 Mar 20, 2009
When I heard this on the news last night I thought I must have misunderstood and that they must have said a 14 year old girl. I thought, okay, maybe they were boyfriend and girlfriend not too big of a deal. But a 4 year old? Yes, this kid is only 16 but that is still no excuse to even think about something like this with a 4 year old! It's his second offense? Lock this little bastard up forever. Too bad he wasn't the kid with the pot, then they would have shot him. I guess, if you smoke a little weed stay out of Ottawa county but if you like little kids that's the place to go. That's sick.
Aunt Andie

Fort Benning, GA

#77 Mar 20, 2009
What I don't understand is this... The predator pleaded down to a lesser offence with the agreement that he serve 1 year in jail and probation. The prosecutor assured the family that he WOULD DO JAIL TIME. So, after hearing the judge say the decision option was either 10 years jail or he lets him walk is total crap. Even serving 1 year in jail on a second offence is criminal. Why didn't the judge accept the plea deal the prosecutor and the defendant agreed to?

Also, as for the predatorís father goes, I understand the idea of wanting to protect your child but that isnít done by turning a blind eye to his crimes. How could anyone argue that a 4year old is capable of instigating this kind of sexual contact? Not to mention the audacity on the fathers part to try to use that an as excuse for what his son has done!
truth

Byron Center, MI

#78 Mar 20, 2009
Another offender that needs to be known- Let everyone kno wwho these people are!

Michael Amante
302 Baker St
Hopkins, MI
CHECK the sex offender list!!!!http://www.mipsor.stat e.mi.us/
afg

Byron Center, MI

#79 Mar 20, 2009
Unfortunatly this isn't just in Ottawa- Allegan is just as bad if not worse!
Amazed

Wyoming, MI

#80 Mar 20, 2009
I am sick to my stomach. So he is a 2 time offender that he was caught at. The judge wants him to live a normal life? What about his victims? Does he think they will ever live a normal life? Sick. LOCK THE JUDGES children/grandchildren up with him then if he is so safe. SICK SICK!
Walker Mom

Grand Rapids, MI

#81 Mar 20, 2009
This is the 2nd time and like one replay indicated where did the ball drop the last time...where was his counseling then. I'm a mom to 3 girls and if anyone touched one of my girls - I castrate him with the biggest knife i could find and mount it to a board and let him look at it for the rest of his life and if he need to play with something he can play with his own D*****. Cut his B*** off!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 1 hr Go Blue Forever 1,483
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... 7 hr Really 58
Put Tolls on Our Interstate Highways 11 hr Really 20
most ludicrious car commercial 12 hr bobolinq 1
happy wife . . . 13 hr bobolinq 1
sony balony 18 hr Idea Maker 6
Jesus Steals Christmas Back From Satan 22 hr Who 1
Grand Rapids Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Grand Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grand Rapids News, Events & Info