State looking into death at Pine Rest

State looking into death at Pine Rest

There are 66 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from May 29, 2008, titled State looking into death at Pine Rest. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

State regulators will take action against a local psychiatric facility regarding the accidental death of a patient.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Elizabeth Waters

Riverside, CA

#1 May 29, 2008
Barb Koetsier asks "Why didn't they take out the chair that she had tipped over so she couldn't hurt herself? Why didn't they change the bed, put in a different bed if she was crawling under things? Why didn't they do more to protect herself?"

Perhaps because Pine Rest is under-funded and under-staffed! I am not excusing the corporation's behavior but one shouldn't be so eager to blame hospital staff. I think that the episode as a whole should make the Grand Rapids community more aware of the pressing need for improved mental health care--and yes, that would likely mean higher taxes.

I am disappointed in Wood TV's selection of commentators--ask a former staff member rather than a former patient! People have no idea how hard those staff members work.
Lainie

Dillon, CO

#2 May 29, 2008
How true, Elizabeth. If people keep voting Republican, those situations are only going to worsen. We can't "lower taxes" and expect better results.
DXZ32

Denver, CO

#3 May 29, 2008
"Perhaps because Pine Rest is under-funded and under-staffed!"
Bull. They are a non profit, but that doesn't mean they aren't well funded.
DXZ32

Denver, CO

#4 May 29, 2008
Lainie wrote:
How true, Elizabeth. If people keep voting Republican, those situations are only going to worsen. We can't "lower taxes" and expect better results.
You don't know what you're talking about. The vast majority of Pine Rest's funding is from charitable donations, not the government. To use a death to make an unfounded, cheap, partisan political shot shows how ignorant you are.
Diane

Hudsonville, MI

#5 May 29, 2008
Lainie wrote:
How true, Elizabeth. If people keep voting Republican, those situations are only going to worsen. We can't "lower taxes" and expect better results.
It's amazing to me that you made this political, Laine. Someone died-and usually in an institution, the cause is multifactorial.

Perhaps due to understaffing, the hospital may have inconsitently provided a companion for this ill lady. From the report, it seems she needed one-on-one supervision. How or why that kind of supervision was or was not provided is a matter for the institution and the justice system to investigate.

It is also true that sick people die in hospitals despite the best efforts of the people who staff those institutions.

It has not been my impression that increasing taxes and governmental involvement in managing the money confiscated has ever improved anything expediently in the private sector. We can't raise taxes and expect to get better results. that said, I hope that you are donating extra money to the IRS each year.
anonymous

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 May 29, 2008
Sounds like wood tv 8 is sensationalizing this story, using poor sources. Is a former patient truly a credible source of information? It seems as if her accounts were used to dramaticize the reporting and add to a biased story. Please stick to the facts when reporting.
anon

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 May 29, 2008
TO DXZ32 - I think you may be unfamiliar with how a "non-profit" hospital works - most of their "funding" actually comes from their regular hospital charges, not from donations, most donations received by organizations like Pine Rest go to fund capital projects, like buildings, etc.- They're regular "funding" for actual operations comes from reimbursement by insurance providers and yes, the government - most hospitals receive at least half their funding from the government through Medicare and Medicaid. It's also a noted fact that mental health care reimbursement is significantly less than that received by other organizations, such as Spectrum, which provides regular acute hospital care. Look it up - do a little research, it might help your case. You may also be able to validate their "funding" by simply looking up their Form 990, which all non-profits are required to file with the IRS.
On another note, I find it remarkable that an organization like Pine Rest is able to provide the level of care that they do and only incur instances like this; however tragic and extremely unsettling, on seemingly rare occassion. Pine Rest is a true asset to the community.
get a clue

Gloucester, UK

#8 May 29, 2008
I can tell you as a former patient, you people don\'t know SHT about the irresponsible and incompetent and downright degrading attitude the people who work at these places show to patients. After all, YOU\'RE supposed to be CRAZY. WHY would they listen to you when you tell these sht heads you don\'t need medicine or you need other type of help because of a PHYSICAL ILLNESS, NOT a mental one!! I can just imagine the fun britney spears shrink had having all that power to force her into the nut house and all the drugs they tried to force on her. If you\'ve seen one flew over the cuckoos nest, it\'s ALMOST exactly that way.

The nurse practitioner, NOT the doctor, would be off in his own little world and not give a rats butt about your wishes, and insists you take potentially deadly medications that raise blood pressure, then when things go wrong they threaten you with a court order to force pressure lowering meds on you. What kind of a fking society would let places do this to people? These places are ALL the same I can guarantee you, and should ALL have their records investigated.

You have no idea what it\'s like until one day YOU become trapped in a hell hole like that and no one can get you out, not even a lawyer. Just look online for people filing lawsuits againts these places. You\'ll soon find out.

And as for checking every 15 mins? BULL. When I was there they rarely did that, especially at night. And when they DO check on you, it\'s not to see that you\'re still breathing, or to see if you need a crash cart to get your heart started, if the nurse is even at the front desk.

And the place I was in was connected to and part of the hospital
get a clue

Gloucester, UK

#9 May 29, 2008
In muskegon
KELLI

United States

#10 May 30, 2008
Lainie wrote:
How true, Elizabeth. If people keep voting Republican, those situations are only going to worsen. We can't "lower taxes" and expect better results.
Sorry, but I disagree....If the place is understaffed and staff are underpaid, then what the heck is Pine Rest doing with the money they charge their clients. God knows the clients are paying for a service, paying alot, but are not getting what they are paying for. If this woman was suicidal, then someone did not do their job in performing visual night checks.
sue

United States

#11 May 30, 2008
LISTEN UP PEOPLE There have bben alot more death's of innocent people at Pine Rest than this some are kept closed mouth, my friends son at age 27 died at Pine Rest he was also Bipolar he went there for help and never made it back home they let him die by refusing him his asthma treatment nothing he did he had a asthma attack they say( PINE REST). But really who knows the truth is God. Pine Rest is not all its cracked up too be and they do get paid good there. Its just the laziness of the employees to tell you the truth I would never send a pet there let alone a human!!
sue

United States

#12 May 30, 2008
KELLI wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I disagree....If the place is understaffed and staff are underpaid, then what the heck is Pine Rest doing with the money they charge their clients. God knows the clients are paying for a service, paying alot, but are not getting what they are paying for. If this woman was suicidal, then someone did not do their job in performing visual night checks.
I agree with you this is not about payment. In the medical fields money should never be the issue it should be about caring for humans and their well being. So people stop trying to make excuses for the staff so
Bill

Plainwell, MI

#13 May 30, 2008
sue wrote:
LISTEN UP PEOPLE There have bben alot more death's of innocent people at Pine Rest than this some are kept closed mouth, my friends son at age 27 died at Pine Rest he was also Bipolar he went there for help and never made it back home they let him die by refusing him his asthma treatment nothing he did he had a asthma attack they say( PINE REST). But really who knows the truth is God. Pine Rest is not all its cracked up too be and they do get paid good there. Its just the laziness of the employees to tell you the truth I would never send a pet there let alone a human!!
Hmm. Another candidate for pine rest maybe?

“Fageddaboudit”

Since: Apr 08

Red Arrow Country

#14 May 30, 2008
Lainie wrote:
How true, Elizabeth. If people keep voting Republican, those situations are only going to worsen. We can't "lower taxes" and expect better results.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, you uneducated liberal you! Do you ALWAYS judge before having all the facts? If there's more like YOU out there, we're in DEEP trouble.

Prayers go out to everyone involved, including the staff of Pine Rest. Let the investigation turn out the truth.
the dude

United States

#15 May 30, 2008
I am a bit troubled that the person Wood TV found to interview and quote about patient behavior is a former patient. How is that individual qualified to speak on normal patient behavior. Sure, she was there, but that is a long way from being a mental health professional.

“Just Thinking”

Since: Nov 07

Rockford, MI

#16 May 30, 2008
Lainie wrote:
How true, Elizabeth. If people keep voting Republican, those situations are only going to worsen. We can't "lower taxes" and expect better results.
This has NoTHing to do with Democrat or Republican. And by the way, lowering taxes IS the answer. 10% flat tax on income - is the answer. I am sorry for this lady's death. Sometimes, ya just can't save people from themselves.
just me

Grand Rapids, MI

#17 May 30, 2008
Laine, why don,t you just blame President Bush for this you idiot. What a stupid remark, if you vote Republican this will happen again.
This is a sad thing, somebody wasn,t doing there job.
Saddened

Cambridge, MA

#18 May 30, 2008
Most of these comments show the ignorance of people. I would comment more, but it would be futile at best.
KCC

Greenville, MI

#19 May 30, 2008
When people need help and you have medicaid you are allowed 3 to 5 days to get the help you need. I know for a fact that some people need longer than that to get the help. Children need more time than that. For testing and all that. I think that if you have medicaid don't expect much help. I know some people will say it is the same thing. But it isn't because I know people that have begged for help and get no where because of the insurance. I am hoping it changes. I also send my thoughts and prayers for the family of this woman.
time for change

Grand Rapids, MI

#20 May 30, 2008
I can't believe that anyone would make this a political issue. Someone is dead how does that have anything to do with Democrat or Republican?
I think the fact that they did interview a former patient is right in line who better would know what happens inside Pine Rest than a former patient.
Under funding is that why they faked her chart because they were under funded? if they truley did nothing wrong then why would they feel the need to fudge the charts?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grand Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Truly Disturbing Racism and The Silence That Fo... 1 hr MrsMrs90 29
News The Latest: Trump calls Election Day 'our Indep... 5 hr CZars_R_US 359
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 5 hr a commenter 1,147
News GE Aviation lops off 95 Grand Rapids jobs (Jun '08) 19 hr Great full GE Pro... 58
News Universal Forest Products closes five plants, p... (Jan '08) Wed Madoff zionism 19
Local News Women (Apr '09) Jan 15 T-Man 2,823
News Donald Trump defends use of "sch****ed" against... (Dec '15) Jan 14 MrsMrs90 89

Grand Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Grand Rapids Mortgages